[ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.8

tinchodias
Hi all,

We are proud to announce Fuel 1.8 with a lot of new features and
documentation. Of course, we don't stop working but it was time to
freeze a stable version.

Fuel is an open-source general-purpose object serialization framework
developed in Pharo Smalltalk environment. More information on our
website [1].

Fuel works out of the box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0 (checked at
#20094). Please check our documentation [2] for complete installation
and use guides.

Below, there are some remarkable changes.

- Much more complete user guides.
- Improved API for customizing how graph is traced.
- FuelMetalevel: serialization of stuff like classes and compiled
methods moved to an optional package.
- Customize objects to be treated as globals.
- Migrations: declare at materialization time class and variables renames.
- Weak references properly managed. Thanks to Juan Vuletich and Levente.
- Thanks Pavel for helping us improving FuelPackageLoader with
wonderful ideas and bug reports.
- Serialization speed up on large graphs by using specialized
collections. Thanks Levente.
- Encoder and Decoder: new reifications that clarify the design.
Thanks Colin Putney.
- Optimized serialization of "clean" BlockClosures, which don't need
the whole stack of contexts. Thanks Juan Vuletich and Eliot Miranda.
- Added a clear error hierarchy.
- Debug facilities, including graph visualization using Roassal.
Thanks Alexandre and Doru.
- Many more new tests. Including those from extension packages, we
have almost 600 tests.
- Repository moved from 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Fuel' to
'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Fuel'.

If you are a Fuel user we are not aware of, please let us know!

Best regards,
Martin and Mariano

[1]: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel
[2]: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel/Version1.8/Documentation

Re: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.8

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks a lot for your greta and continuous effort

On May 26, 2012, at 7:04 AM, Martin Dias wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are proud to announce Fuel 1.8 with a lot of new features and
> documentation. Of course, we don't stop working but it was time to
> freeze a stable version.
>
> Fuel is an open-source general-purpose object serialization framework
> developed in Pharo Smalltalk environment. More information on our
> website [1].
>
> Fuel works out of the box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0 (checked at
> #20094). Please check our documentation [2] for complete installation
> and use guides.
>
> Below, there are some remarkable changes.
>
> - Much more complete user guides.
> - Improved API for customizing how graph is traced.
> - FuelMetalevel: serialization of stuff like classes and compiled
> methods moved to an optional package.
> - Customize objects to be treated as globals.
> - Migrations: declare at materialization time class and variables renames.
> - Weak references properly managed. Thanks to Juan Vuletich and Levente.
> - Thanks Pavel for helping us improving FuelPackageLoader with
> wonderful ideas and bug reports.
> - Serialization speed up on large graphs by using specialized
> collections. Thanks Levente.
> - Encoder and Decoder: new reifications that clarify the design.
> Thanks Colin Putney.
> - Optimized serialization of "clean" BlockClosures, which don't need
> the whole stack of contexts. Thanks Juan Vuletich and Eliot Miranda.
> - Added a clear error hierarchy.
> - Debug facilities, including graph visualization using Roassal.
> Thanks Alexandre and Doru.
> - Many more new tests. Including those from extension packages, we
> have almost 600 tests.
> - Repository moved from 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Fuel' to
> 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Fuel'.
>
> If you are a Fuel user we are not aware of, please let us know!
>
> Best regards,
> Martin and Mariano
>
> [1]: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel
> [2]: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel/Version1.8/Documentation

Re: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.8

hernanmd
Hi Martin,
How do I get the old behavior to instantiate a serializer without serializing?

FLSerializer on: aFileStream

I want to have the serializer around stuck over a location.
Cheers,

Hernán

--
Hernán Morales
Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Re: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.8

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Martin,
How do I get the old behavior to instantiate a serializer without serializing?

FLSerializer on: aFileStream

| serializer |
serializer := FLSerializer newDefault.
serializer serialize: Object new on: aStream

[...]

Telephone: <a href="tel:%2B54%20%280221%29%20421-1799" value="+542214211799" target="_blank">+54 (0221) 421-1799.
Internal: 422
Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Martin,
How do I get the old behavior to instantiate a serializer without serializing?

FLSerializer on: aFileStream

| serializer |
serializer := FLSerializer newDefault.
serializer serialize: Object new on: aStream

Actually, now that I think it again, that is not *exactly* as you used to do. But I guess it may help you. Let us know if it does.

Cheers

[...]

che para q estas usando Fuel vos?
avisanos si te podemos agregar acA: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel/Software-using-Fuel?
;)

abrazo

[...]

Martin told me something by private email that I think is worth to mention. Not sure if you read it carefully, but Fuel is working from Pharo version 1.1 up to 2.0!!!
One of reasons is to help people migrate to new Pharo versions by using Fuel as a way of moving data.

Cheers

.

[...]

Igor Stasenko
On 27 May 2012 21:23, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Fuel works out of the box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0 (checked at
>> #20094). Please check our documentation [2] for complete installation
>> and use guides
>

> Martin told me something by private email that I think is worth to mention.
> Not sure if you read it carefully, but Fuel is working from Pharo version
> 1.1 up to 2.0!!!

But he is mentioned that already in his announcement. :)
This is nice, of course!

> One of reasons is to help people migrate to new Pharo versions by using Fuel
> as a way of moving data.
>
> Cheers
>
>> .
>>
>> Below, there are some remarkable changes.
>>
>> - Much more complete user guides.
>> - Improved API for customizing how graph is traced.
>> - FuelMetalevel: serialization of stuff like classes and compiled
>> methods moved to an optional package.
>> - Customize objects to be treated as globals.
>> - Migrations: declare at materialization time class and variables renames.
>> - Weak references properly managed. Thanks to Juan Vuletich and Levente.
>> - Thanks Pavel for helping us improving FuelPackageLoader with
>> wonderful ideas and bug reports.
>> - Serialization speed up on large graphs by using specialized
>> collections. Thanks Levente.
>> - Encoder and Decoder: new reifications that clarify the design.
>> Thanks Colin Putney.
>> - Optimized serialization of "clean" BlockClosures, which don't need
>> the whole stack of contexts. Thanks Juan Vuletich and Eliot Miranda.
>> - Added a clear error hierarchy.
>> - Debug facilities, including graph visualization using Roassal.
>> Thanks Alexandre and Doru.
>> - Many more new tests. Including those from extension packages, we
>> have almost 600 tests.
>> - Repository moved from 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Fuel' to
>> 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Fuel'.
>>
>> If you are a Fuel user we are not aware of, please let us know!
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Martin and Mariano
>>
>> [1]: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel
>> [2]:
>> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel/Version1.8/Documentation
>>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.8

Stéphane Ducasse

On May 28, 2012, at 7:44 PM, Jaroslaw Podgajny wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> It has been long time since I looked into Pharo and licensing environment (revitalising my interest now...), so I may be asking obvious questions but what is the licencing model for Fuel?  (skimmed the mail and the web site and only noted "open-sourced")

good point.
It is MIT as the complete pharo environment.

Stef

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Jaroslaw Podgajny <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

It has been long time since I looked into Pharo and licensing environment (revitalising my interest now...), so I may be asking obvious questions but what is the licencing model for Fuel?  (skimmed the mail and the web site and only noted "open-sourced")

Thanks. I have updated the site. Now it says: "An open-source (MIT license) general-purpose object serialization framework developed in Pharo Smalltalk environment."

Thanks Jaroslaw, any feedback is welcome!

Re: [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.8

hernanmd
Hola Mariano, lo estamos usando para serializar clasificaciones poblacionales de estudios filogenéticos.
Cuando tengamos la publicación te aviso.
Un abrazo,

Hernán