[ANN] Fuel release version 1.7

tinchodias
Hi folks!

We have released the new version 1.7 of Fuel, a binary serialization framework for Pharo that provides extremely fast deserialization. More information on our home page. Again, I thank ESUG for sponsoring me through the SummerTalk program.

You can download this version in Pharo 1.2.1 or 1.3 with:

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'Fuel';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfFuel';
        load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) project version: '1.7') load.

The list of changes includes performance optimizations, design clean-ups, and new features.

- The FLSerializer and FLMaterializer API has changed. They are no longer implementing the algorithms but are a kind of Façade.
- Developer guides with examples: Getting Started and Customizing the graph.
- Serialization substitutions: "Store this object instead of me."
- Global sends: "Restore me by sending this selector to this global"
- Versioning the stream: We prefix the stream with a version number that should match when loading.
- Performance optimizations on instances of:
-- Word-like classes. (We thank a lot to Henrik Sperre Johansen for your help!)
-- ByteString and Symbol.
-- Date, Time, Duration and DateAndTime.
-- Point and Rectangle.
-- MethodDictionary. Now materialization is 2000x faster, thanks to its new rehash without become.
- Huge clean-up in Tests package.

Cheers!
Martín Dias

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [ANN] Fuel release version 1.7

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 14.10.2011 08:15, Martin Dias wrote:
[...]

Grats!
Any blog posts with benchmarks comparing different Fuel versions?

Cheers,
Henry

Re: [ANN] Fuel release version 1.7

Mariano Martinez Peck

Any blog posts with benchmarks comparing different Fuel versions?

Here you have 2 charts.
You help can be seen in Widestring for example.
Now dates are a little bit slower to materialize but the serialization is much faster. If you have ideas to speed up Date materialization ;)  FLDateCluster.

Cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Screen shot 2011-10-15 at 7.00.45 PM.png (93K) Download Attachment
Screen shot 2011-10-15 at 7.00.58 PM.png (107K) Download Attachment