[ANN] Fuel version 1.5 released

tinchodias
I am happy to announce the new release version 1.5. Below is the list
of changes. In next days we will update the home page with current
state. For example, we have much more to show in benchmarks section.
Of course, we have many ideas and new issues to keep working on Fuel.

Again, I have to thank ESUG for sponsoring me for Fuel development
through the SummerTalk program.

Changes on 1.5:

- Initialize instances after materialization implementing
#fuelAfterMaterialization.
- Ignore transient instance variables overriding
#fuelIgnoredInstanceVariableNames.
- Limit serialization progress bar to update at most once every 250
milliseconds.
- Traits are serialized and materialized as a regular objects
(http://code.google.com/p/fuel/issues/detail?id=59).
- Removed mappers system cache (Eliot).
- Many new tests.
- Benchmarks: compare Fuel against StOMP, SRP, SIXX, Magma, EsAndEm
and Fuel with progress bar.
- Benchmarks: new samples, scripts, and CSV exporter.
- Benchmarks: measure serialization stream size.
- Removed some redundant #fuelAccept:.
- Several aesthetic changes in protocols, categories and comments.
- Now #materialize answers the materialized root.
- Removed special cluster for HashedCollection.Now #rehash is sended
via #fuelAfterMaterialization.
- MethodContext serialization does not serialize temps
(http://code.google.com/p/fuel/issues/detail?id=61).
- Classes and Traits now serialize its environment
(testCreateWithSmalltalkGlobalsEnvironment).
- Fixed serialization of non-octet characters (testCharacter).
- Fixed a bug serializing the system dictionary.
FLWellKnownObjectsCluster handles it. (testSmalltalkGlobals).
- Fixed a bug serializing class variables (testClassVariable).
- Fixed a bug when serializing a collection with size greater than
1^16 with repeated elements inside.
- Fixed testTwoCompiledMethodsReferencingSameClassVariable.
- Optimization: instanceIndexes are directly created with the exact
size (Henrik).

Re: [Pharo-fuel] [ANN] Fuel version 1.5 released

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks a lot.

Stef

> Changes on 1.5:
>
> - Initialize instances after materialization implementing
> #fuelAfterMaterialization.
> - Ignore transient instance variables overriding
> #fuelIgnoredInstanceVariableNames.
> - Limit serialization progress bar to update at most once every 250
> milliseconds.
> - Traits are serialized and materialized as a regular objects
> (http://code.google.com/p/fuel/issues/detail?id=59).
> - Removed mappers system cache (Eliot).
> - Many new tests.
> - Benchmarks: compare Fuel against StOMP, SRP, SIXX, Magma, EsAndEm
> and Fuel with progress bar.
> - Benchmarks: new samples, scripts, and CSV exporter.
> - Benchmarks: measure serialization stream size.
> - Removed some redundant #fuelAccept:.
> - Several aesthetic changes in protocols, categories and comments.
> - Now #materialize answers the materialized root.
> - Removed special cluster for HashedCollection.Now #rehash is sended
> via #fuelAfterMaterialization.
> - MethodContext serialization does not serialize temps
> (http://code.google.com/p/fuel/issues/detail?id=61).
> - Classes and Traits now serialize its environment
> (testCreateWithSmalltalkGlobalsEnvironment).
> - Fixed serialization of non-octet characters (testCharacter).
> - Fixed a bug serializing the system dictionary.
> FLWellKnownObjectsCluster handles it. (testSmalltalkGlobals).
> - Fixed a bug serializing class variables (testClassVariable).
> - Fixed a bug when serializing a collection with size greater than
> 1^16 with repeated elements inside.
> - Fixed testTwoCompiledMethodsReferencingSameClassVariable.
> - Optimization: instanceIndexes are directly created with the exact
> size (Henrik).

Re: [ANN] Fuel version 1.5 released

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Martin,

    I wonder could you repost your announcement but this time set the example of including a brief description of what Fuel is for those who don't know.  So the announcement reads something like:

I am happy to announce the new release version 1.5. Fuel is a binary
serialization system for Smalltalk that provides extremely fast deserialization.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

best,
Eliot

Re: [ANN] Fuel version 1.5 released

tinchodias
Hi Eliot,
Yes, it would be better to include more information. I will put the
home page url too.

Thanks
Martin

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>     I wonder could you repost your announcement but this time set the
> example of including a brief description of what Fuel is for those who don't
> know.  So the announcement reads something like:
> I am happy to announce the new release version 1.5. Fuel is a binary
> serialization system for Smalltalk that provides extremely fast
> deserialization.
> Below is the list of changes. In next days we will update the home page with
> current
> state. For example, we have much more to show in benchmarks section.
> Of course, we have many ideas and new issues to keep working on Fuel.
>
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am happy to announce the new release version 1.5. Below is the list
>> of changes. In next days we will update the home page with current
>> state. For example, we have much more to show in benchmarks section.
>> Of course, we have many ideas and new issues to keep working on Fuel.
>>
>> Again, I have to thank ESUG for sponsoring me for Fuel development
>> through the SummerTalk program.
>>
>> Changes on 1.5:
>>
>> - Initialize instances after materialization implementing
>> #fuelAfterMaterialization.
>> - Ignore transient instance variables overriding
>> #fuelIgnoredInstanceVariableNames.
>> - Limit serialization progress bar to update at most once every 250
>> milliseconds.
>> - Traits are serialized and materialized as a regular objects
>> (http://code.google.com/p/fuel/issues/detail?id=59).
>> - Removed mappers system cache (Eliot).
>> - Many new tests.
>> - Benchmarks: compare Fuel against StOMP, SRP, SIXX, Magma, EsAndEm
>> and Fuel with progress bar.
>> - Benchmarks: new samples, scripts, and CSV exporter.
>> - Benchmarks: measure serialization stream size.
>> - Removed some redundant #fuelAccept:.
>> - Several aesthetic changes in protocols, categories and comments.
>> - Now #materialize answers the materialized root.
>> - Removed special cluster for HashedCollection.Now #rehash is sended
>> via #fuelAfterMaterialization.
>> - MethodContext serialization does not serialize temps
>> (http://code.google.com/p/fuel/issues/detail?id=61).
>> - Classes and Traits now serialize its environment
>> (testCreateWithSmalltalkGlobalsEnvironment).
>> - Fixed serialization of non-octet characters (testCharacter).
>> - Fixed a bug serializing the system dictionary.
>> FLWellKnownObjectsCluster handles it. (testSmalltalkGlobals).
>> - Fixed a bug serializing class variables (testClassVariable).
>> - Fixed a bug when serializing a collection with size greater than
>> 1^16 with repeated elements inside.
>> - Fixed testTwoCompiledMethodsReferencingSameClassVariable.
>> - Optimization: instanceIndexes are directly created with the exact
>> size (Henrik).

> best,
> Eliot

Re: [ANN] Fuel version 1.5 released

jarober
I've got a screencast on Fuel coming out Friday as well - watch for the link at http://www.jarober.com

On Jul 6, 2011, at 2:36 PM, Martin Dias wrote:

> [...]
>>> - Now #materialize answers the materialized root.
>>> - Removed special cluster for HashedCollection.Now #rehash is sended
>>> via #fuelAfterMaterialization.
>>> - MethodContext serialization does not serialize temps
>>> (http://code.google.com/p/fuel/issues/detail?id=61).
>>> - Classes and Traits now serialize its environment
>>> (testCreateWithSmalltalkGlobalsEnvironment).
>>> - Fixed serialization of non-octet characters (testCharacter).
>>> - Fixed a bug serializing the system dictionary.
>>> FLWellKnownObjectsCluster handles it. (testSmalltalkGlobals).
>>> - Fixed a bug serializing class variables (testClassVariable).
>>> - Fixed a bug when serializing a collection with size greater than
>>> 1^16 with repeated elements inside.
>>> - Fixed testTwoCompiledMethodsReferencingSameClassVariable.
>>> - Optimization: instanceIndexes are directly created with the exact

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: [ANN] Fuel version 1.5 released

tinchodias
Hi James,
Wonderful, I'm anxious to watch it!

thanks
Martin

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 3:52 PM, James Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> - Now #materialize answers the materialized root.
>>> - Removed special cluster for HashedCollection.Now #rehash is sended
>>> via #fuelAfterMaterialization.
>>> - MethodContext serialization does not serialize temps
>>> (http://code.google.com/p/fuel/issues/detail?id=61).
>>> - Classes and Traits now serialize its environment
>>> (testCreateWithSmalltalkGlobalsEnvironment).
>>> - Fixed serialization of non-octet characters (testCharacter).
>>> - Fixed a bug serializing the system dictionary.
>>> FLWellKnownObjectsCluster handles it. (testSmalltalkGlobals).
>>> - Fixed a bug serializing class variables (testClassVariable).
>>> - Fixed a bug when serializing a collection with size greater than
>>> 1^16 with repeated elements inside.
>>> - Fixed testTwoCompiledMethodsReferencingSameClassVariable.
>>> - Optimization: instanceIndexes are directly created with the exact

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: [ANN] Fuel version 1.5 released

jarober
Here it is:

Also on Facebook and YouTube :)

On Jul 6, 2011, at 3:46 PM, Martin Dias wrote:

> [...]

>>> - Now #materialize answers the materialized root.
>>> - Removed special cluster for HashedCollection.Now #rehash is sended
>>> via #fuelAfterMaterialization.
>>> - MethodContext serialization does not serialize temps
>>> (http://code.google.com/p/fuel/issues/detail?id=61).
>>> - Classes and Traits now serialize its environment
>>> (testCreateWithSmalltalkGlobalsEnvironment).
>>> - Fixed serialization of non-octet characters (testCharacter).
>>> - Fixed a bug serializing the system dictionary.
>>> FLWellKnownObjectsCluster handles it. (testSmalltalkGlobals).
>>> - Fixed a bug serializing class variables (testClassVariable).
>>> - Fixed a bug when serializing a collection with size greater than
>>> 1^16 with repeated elements inside.
>>> - Fixed testTwoCompiledMethodsReferencingSameClassVariable.
>>> - Optimization: instanceIndexes are directly created with the exact

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: [ANN] Fuel version 1.5 released

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks James. I wanted to submit Fuel for ESUG Technology Awards this year and they ask an screencast as a requirement. Could I use this one?

thanks a lot in advance,

Mariano

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM, James Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> - Now #materialize answers the materialized root.
>>> - Removed special cluster for HashedCollection.Now #rehash is sended
>>> via #fuelAfterMaterialization.
>>> - MethodContext serialization does not serialize temps
>>> (http://code.google.com/p/fuel/issues/detail?id=61).
>>> - Classes and Traits now serialize its environment
>>> (testCreateWithSmalltalkGlobalsEnvironment).
>>> - Fixed serialization of non-octet characters (testCharacter).
>>> - Fixed a bug serializing the system dictionary.
>>> FLWellKnownObjectsCluster handles it. (testSmalltalkGlobals).
>>> - Fixed a bug serializing class variables (testClassVariable).
>>> - Fixed a bug when serializing a collection with size greater than
>>> 1^16 with repeated elements inside.
>>> - Fixed testTwoCompiledMethodsReferencingSameClassVariable.
>>> - Optimization: instanceIndexes are directly created with the exact

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [ANN] Fuel version 1.5 released

tinchodias
Hi James,
Thank you very much :D
I added a link in Fuel's home page.

Martin

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 10:57 AM, James Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> - Now #materialize answers the materialized root.
>>> - Removed special cluster for HashedCollection.Now #rehash is sended
>>> via #fuelAfterMaterialization.
>>> - MethodContext serialization does not serialize temps
>>> (http://code.google.com/p/fuel/issues/detail?id=61).
>>> - Classes and Traits now serialize its environment
>>> (testCreateWithSmalltalkGlobalsEnvironment).
>>> - Fixed serialization of non-octet characters (testCharacter).
>>> - Fixed a bug serializing the system dictionary.
>>> FLWellKnownObjectsCluster handles it. (testSmalltalkGlobals).
>>> - Fixed a bug serializing class variables (testClassVariable).
>>> - Fixed a bug when serializing a collection with size greater than
>>> 1^16 with repeated elements inside.
>>> - Fixed testTwoCompiledMethodsReferencingSameClassVariable.
>>> - Optimization: instanceIndexes are directly created with the exact

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com