[ANN] Fundamentals volume 1

Andres Valloud-4
Hello,

I just published the 400 page book Fundamentals of Smalltalk Programming Technique, volume 1. To some extent it's fitting that I am publishing another book this time of the year. I started writing the Mentoring Course book (of which the Hash book was chapter 7) almost 4 years ago. The three books total about 1200 pages.

Something I realized with the Mentoring Course book is that I could take advantage of mentoring myself because I had already sharpened several Smalltalk skills. The Fundamentals book talks about these abilities. As with the Mentoring Course book, there is too much material for a single book. Thus, the first volume just published talks about the controlled manipulation of boolean expressions, inheritance, and polymorphism. In fact, there is a continuum of points of view on the subjects, ranging from the goal of producing very little yet highly maintainable code, to the architecture of highly optimized implementations, as well as valuable compromises in between. In fact, at times, it is possible to avoid sacrificing flexibility for speed, or viceversa.

The second volume will talk about enumeration, recursion, weakness, and optimization. I am sure it will be a fun book to write. In the mean time, enjoy volume 1!

http://www.lulu.com/content/7451511

http://www.lulu.com/avSmalltalkBooks

Andres.

Re: [ANN] Fundamentals volume 1

Henry Lenzi
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Andres
Valloud<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just published the 400 page book Fundamentals of Smalltalk Programming Technique, volume 1.

Great, congratulations. Is this specific to the Squeak/Pharo Smalltalk flavor?

- Henry

Re: [ANN] Fundamentals volume 1

Andres Valloud-4
The content is pretty much dialect agnostic.  It does reference
VisualWorks every so often, but only for the sake of illustration.

Henry Lenzi wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Andres
> Valloud<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just published the 400 page book Fundamentals of Smalltalk Programming Technique, volume 1.
>>

> Great, congratulations. Is this specific to the Squeak/Pharo Smalltalk flavor?
>
> - Henry

Re: [ANN] Fundamentals volume 1

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 15.08.2009 04:29, Andres Valloud wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just published the 400 page book Fundamentals of Smalltalk Programming Technique, volume 1. To some extent it's fitting that I am publishing another book this time of the year. I started writing the Mentoring Course book (of which the Hash book was chapter 7) almost 4 years ago. The three books total about 1200 pages.
>
> Something I realized with the Mentoring Course book is that I could take advantage of mentoring myself because I had already sharpened several Smalltalk skills. The Fundamentals book talks about these abilities. As with the Mentoring Course book, there is too much material for a single book. Thus, the first volume just published talks about the controlled manipulation of boolean expressions, inheritance, and polymorphism. In fact, there is a continuum of points of view on the subjects, ranging from the goal of producing very little yet highly maintainable code, to the architecture of highly optimized implementations, as well as valuable compromises in between. In fact, at times, it is possible to avoid sacrificing flexibility for speed, or viceversa.
>
> The second volume will talk about enumeration, recursion, weakness, and optimization. I am sure it will be a fun book to write. In the mean time, enjoy volume 1!
>
> http://www.lulu.com/content/7451511
>
> http://www.lulu.com/avSmalltalkBooks
>
> Andres.

Nice, I loved the two previous ones!
Will there be paperback versions availiable at ESUG?

Cheers,
Henry

Re: [ANN] Fundamentals volume 1

Andres Valloud-4