[ANN] GNU Dr. Geo release 18.06

HilaireFernandes
We are please to announce the Dr. Geo release 18.06. It follows the release 17.07 in July 2017.
A large part of the effort was to port Dr. Geo from the Pharo 3 to Pharo 7 Smalltalk development environment.
In addition to usual bug fixes several features were added.

Mini changelog:
- Dedicated Script browser
- Inspector on Smalltalk Sketch
- Positioning zoom
- Unit tests based on Smalltalk sketch
- Lan share
- Graphic user interface theme
- Fullscreen option
- Lots of bug fixes

Read the complete announcement

Dr. Geo is always looking for volunteers to translate its user interface.

Hilaire Fernandes
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: [ANN] GNU Dr. Geo release 18.06

Tudor Girba-2
This is great work!

Thanks a lot for pushing this. I know it was not the smoothest transition for you, but I think it is a win-win for everyone.

Cheers,
Tudor

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"To utilize feedback, you first have to acquire it."

Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: [ANN] GNU Dr. Geo release 18.06

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Congrats,

This was a big jump between platforms (3 to 7) and is good to know that children (from 8 to 100)  will be able to enjoy geometry, Pharo and live coding with all the upcoming goodness.

Cheers,

Offray

On 22/06/18 05:16, Hilaire wrote:
We are please to announce the Dr. Geo release 18.06. It follows the release 17.07 in July 2017.
A large part of the effort was to port Dr. Geo from the Pharo 3 to Pharo 7 Smalltalk development environment.
In addition to usual bug fixes several features were added.

Mini changelog:
- Dedicated Script browser
- Inspector on Smalltalk Sketch
- Positioning zoom
- Unit tests based on Smalltalk sketch
- Lan share
- Graphic user interface theme
- Fullscreen option
- Lots of bug fixes

Read the complete announcement

Dr. Geo is always looking for volunteers to translate its user interface.

Hilaire Fernandes
--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: [ANN] GNU Dr. Geo release 18.06

Ben Coman

On 23 June 2018 at 06:22, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Congrats,

This was a big jump between platforms (3 to 7) and is good to know that children (from 8 to 100)  will be able to enjoy geometry, Pharo and live coding with all the upcoming goodness.

So now we need a DrGeo inside a live document providing a curriculum for teachers... ;) ?

cheers -ben

[...]

Hi Ben,

They call it Dynabook in the old time... Not yet there 40 years later,
we are damn slow.

As an educator, I am all days frustrated with the computed tools we
have, and the lack of integration.

Anyones crazy enough to work on this challenge?

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: [ANN] GNU Dr. Geo release 18.06

HilaireFernandes
As a matter of accuracy, it is more active essays paradigm[1].

Hilaire

[1] http://www.vpri.org/pdf/tr2009002_active_essays.pdf

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

[Dynabook][Morphic][TLM][Geometry] Re: [ANN] GNU Dr. Geo release 18.06

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Hilaire

This message is off-list as I do not have the capacity NOW  to
maintain a conversation on this list.

See my comments below

On 6/23/18, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> They call it Dynabook in the old time... Not yet there 40 years later,
> we are damn slow.

Yes indeed.
Actually on the hardware level and the software for reading (e-books)
and learning (teaching apps) the dynabook goal has been reached for
many years by now.

Even the price goal has been under-cut. For 100USD you get a nice
tablet which is considerably less than the 300....400 USD people
originally thought of.

And with OTG connections you may add a mouse and keyboard.
Raspberry Pi is also very affordable and has millions of users.

But just using laptops and PCs is also very fine.

> As an educator, I am all days frustrated with the computed tools we
> have, and the lack of integration.

This is the main point. Lack of integration. And "authoring
environments" for this.

> Anyones crazy enough to work on this challenge?

I think I am working on this. For quite some time. At the moment I
work with Squeak though.

But as Dr. Geo is using Morphic what I am doing may be extended to be
used there as well.

What I am doing is not so much inventing new things but making old
things work. The solutions are actually around. They need to be
documented and used. Demos and interaction is needed. Curriculum
integration is then also quite an effort.

I understand that you are in or around Geneva. Is that correct?

Kind regards
Hannes

> Hilaire
>

> Le 23/06/2018 à 02:03, Ben Coman a écrit :
>> So now we need a DrGeo inside a live document providing a curriculum
>> for teachers... ;) ?
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>

> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: [Dynabook][Morphic][TLM][Geometry] Re: [ANN] GNU Dr. Geo release 18.06

Hannes Hirzel
P.S. This message was meant to be off-list.

But as it went out to the list unintentionally there will be some
small discussion participation from my side in case there is one   :-)

On 6/26/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hilaire
>

> This message is off-list as I do not have the capacity NOW  to
> maintain a conversation on this list.
>
> See my comments below
>
> On 6/23/18, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> They call it Dynabook in the old time... Not yet there 40 years later,
>> we are damn slow.
>
> Yes indeed.
> Actually on the hardware level and the software for reading (e-books)
> and learning (teaching apps) the dynabook goal has been reached for
> many years by now.
>
> Even the price goal has been under-cut. For 100USD you get a nice
> tablet which is considerably less than the 300....400 USD people
> originally thought of.
>
> And with OTG connections you may add a mouse and keyboard.
> Raspberry Pi is also very affordable and has millions of users.
>
> But just using laptops and PCs is also very fine.
>
>> As an educator, I am all days frustrated with the computed tools we
>> have, and the lack of integration.
>
> This is the main point. Lack of integration. And "authoring
> environments" for this.
>
>> Anyones crazy enough to work on this challenge?
>
> I think I am working on this. For quite some time. At the moment I
> work with Squeak though.
>
> But as Dr. Geo is using Morphic what I am doing may be extended to be
> used there as well.
>
> What I am doing is not so much inventing new things but making old
> things work. The solutions are actually around. They need to be
> documented and used. Demos and interaction is needed. Curriculum
> integration is then also quite an effort.
>
> I understand that you are in or around Geneva. Is that correct?
>
> Kind regards
> Hannes
>
>> Hilaire
>>

>> Le 23/06/2018 à 02:03, Ben Coman a écrit :
>>> So now we need a DrGeo inside a live document providing a curriculum
>>> for teachers... ;) ?
>>>
>>> cheers -ben
>>>

>> --
>> Dr. Geo
>> http://drgeo.eu

Re: [ANN] GNU Dr. Geo release 18.06

Hannes Hirzel
On 6/23/18, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As a matter of accuracy, it is more active essays paradigm[1].
>
> Hilaire
>
> [1] http://www.vpri.org/pdf/tr2009002_active_essays.pdf

A good report by now 9 years old worth to be read again.

Maybe some discussion could be about this article and the way forward
.... (small doable steps)

> Le 23/06/2018 à 08:17, Hilaire a écrit :
>> They call it Dynabook in the old time... Not yet there 40 years later,
>> we are damn slow.
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: [Dynabook][Morphic][TLM][Geometry] Re: [ANN] GNU Dr. Geo release 18.06

HilaireFernandes
As I am only reading this list throught Gname newsgroup I can't read the
senders' email, so please email me at hilaire [at] drgeo.eu so we can
engage a private conversation

Hilaire