[ANN] General WebBrowser package for Pharo4 and Pharo 5 onwards

[ANN] General WebBrowser package for Pharo4 and Pharo 5 onwards

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

Some of you may know or use "ExternalWebbrowser" (maintained in the past by me, started back in the times right after Squeak and
based on FFI), also there was an "ExternalWebbrowser2" fork from Sean later. First project got outdated with transition to NB,
the second one stopped working for Pharo 5 due to the transition from NativeBoost (NB) to Universal Foreign Function Interface (UFFI).

Two projects and now the broken code created a little bit a mess again in finding an easy way in opening an external webbrowser
from Pharo. Updating my "ExternalWebbrowser" would easily bring confusion to newbies who thing "ExternalWebbrowser2"
is newer. Having a an "ExternalWebbrowser3" would be silly too.

So I decided to fix all this by providing a general "WebBrowser" package which now should solve the issue of easily opening an
external webbrowser once and for all for primary platforms (Unix/Mac/Windows). The simple design allows to add also other
platforms later if necessary.

I based it for Pharo 4 on NB and Pharo 5 onwards on the new UFFI - so YES you can use it in both Pharo versions uniformely and
the same way - which should simplify things now again.

# Project page/Repository

http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/WebBrowser

# Description

General and platform independent WebBrowser access for Pharo 4.0 onwards based on NativeBoost,
for Pharo 5.0 onwards based on UFFI

- Mac
- Unix (Linux flavours)
- Windows

# Usage

        WebBrowser openOn: 'http://www.pharo.org'

# Installation

You can load it either from Configuration Browser (Pharo 4),  Catalog/directly by typing "WebBrowser" into Spotter (Pharo 5 onwards)
or with the following load expression:

        Metacello new
                smalltalkhubUser: 'TorstenBergmann' project: 'WebBrowser';
                configuration: 'WebBrowser';
                load

# Other

If you want to reference it in own configs note that version 0.1.0 is for Pharo 4 while 0.2.0 and following is for Pharo 5 onwards.

Bye
T.

Re: [ANN] General WebBrowser package for Pharo4 and Pharo 5 onwards

Rob Rothwell

# Usage

        WebBrowser openOn: 'http://www.pharo.org'

Fantastic...this is a nice example of using UFFI to call a LibC command, and since it is just using open(1), you can also do something like:

WebBrowser openOn: '/users/rob/desktop/enterprisepharo.pdf'

To generically open a file!

Take care,

Rob

Re: [ANN] General WebBrowser package for Pharo4 and Pharo 5 onwards

Ben Coman
On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> # Usage
>>
>>         WebBrowser openOn: 'http://www.pharo.org'
>

> Fantastic...this is a nice example of using UFFI to call a LibC command, and
> since it is just using open(1), you can also do something like:
>

> WebBrowser openOn: '/users/rob/desktop/enterprisepharo.pdf'
>
> To generically open a file!
>
> Take care,
>
> Rob

btw, the might be good for the UFFI documentation to list a few
reference projects using it.
cheers -ben

Re: [ANN] General WebBrowser package for Pharo4 and Pharo 5 onwards

stepharo
The documentation is on github under PharoProgress people should issues
pull requests