[ANN] GitBridge

CyrilFerlicot
Hi!

Today I released the v1 of a project I wanted to do since a long time:
GitBridge.

The goal of the project is to easily access external resources stored in
the git repository of the project and other information.

For more infos check the Quick start or documentation present at:
https://github.com/jecisc/GitBridge

When Monticello was the most common VCS usable with Pharo we stored a
lot of external resources in the image. Now we are able to store them
outside, get a lighter image and make it easier to edit and version them!

This can be useful to store test resources, CSS/JS files for web
applications, documentation, etc.

This can also be useful to get from the application some information
such as the current version of the application instead of hard-coding it
in a method to update at each release.

It implementation relies on Iceberg and the repositories registered in it.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: [ANN] GitBridge

tomo
Cyril,

Awesome!
I've been wanting to make something like this for my project.
Great thanks!
---
tomo

2019年7月17日(水) 5:07 Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
> Today I released the v1 of a project I wanted to do since a long time:
> GitBridge.
>
> The goal of the project is to easily access external resources stored in
> the git repository of the project and other information.
>
> For more infos check the Quick start or documentation present at:
> https://github.com/jecisc/GitBridge
>
> When Monticello was the most common VCS usable with Pharo we stored a
> lot of external resources in the image. Now we are able to store them
> outside, get a lighter image and make it easier to edit and version them!
>
> This can be useful to store test resources, CSS/JS files for web
> applications, documentation, etc.
>
> This can also be useful to get from the application some information
> such as the current version of the application instead of hard-coding it
> in a method to update at each release.
>
> It implementation relies on Iceberg and the repositories registered in it.
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr

Re: [ANN] GitBridge

Christopher Fuhrman-3
Very cool! I think the quickstart section would benefit from an example such as loading icons or a test resource (mse file for moose).

Also, can you explain how updating a Readme.md would work using GitBridge? I assume it would be modified with a text editor in Pharo then Iceberg will see the changes to commit them? Sorry if I'm reading too much into it.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019, 22:40 Tomohiro Oda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cyril,

Awesome!
I've been wanting to make something like this for my project.
Great thanks!
---
tomo

2019年7月17日(水) 5:07 Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
> Today I released the v1 of a project I wanted to do since a long time:
> GitBridge.
>
> The goal of the project is to easily access external resources stored in
> the git repository of the project and other information.
>
> For more infos check the Quick start or documentation present at:
> https://github.com/jecisc/GitBridge
>
> When Monticello was the most common VCS usable with Pharo we stored a
> lot of external resources in the image. Now we are able to store them
> outside, get a lighter image and make it easier to edit and version them!
>
> This can be useful to store test resources, CSS/JS files for web
> applications, documentation, etc.
>
> This can also be useful to get from the application some information
> such as the current version of the application instead of hard-coding it
> in a method to update at each release.
>
> It implementation relies on Iceberg and the repositories registered in it.
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr

Re: [ANN] GitBridge

CyrilFerlicot
Le 16/07/2019 à 23:05, Christopher Fuhrman a écrit :
> Very cool! I think the quickstart section would benefit from an example
> such as loading icons or a test resource (mse file for moose).

I'll add it to my todo ;)

> Also, can you explain how updating a Readme.md would work using
> GitBridge? I assume it would be modified with a text editor in Pharo
> then Iceberg will see the changes to commit them? Sorry if I'm reading
> too much into it.

Well, you can manipulate it as any other file reference and change the
content then use the API of Iceberg to commit it but there is no GUI
currently in Iceberg to manage external files.

But my usecase was more the other way around. Instead of editing files
in Pharo I wanted to edit files outside Pharo but still have my
application using those files. In a web application I serve the files
stored in my git repository via Zinc, referencing them via my bridge,
and I edit them outside Pharo instead of editing string containing the
files in Pharo. My goal was to benefit from the tools managing better
the CSS/JS/Markdown than Pharo.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: [ANN] GitBridge

khinsen
Am 16.07.19 um 22:07 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot D.:

> Today I released the v1 of a project I wanted to do since a long time:
> GitBridge.
>
> The goal of the project is to easily access external resources stored in
> the git repository of the project and other information.

Excellent - that's a functionality I have wanted for a while!

Thanks,
   Konrad.

https://ferlicot.fr

Re: [ANN] GitBridge

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Thanks Cyril,

This look awesome. A quick question: to access external resources, I usually use the expression (that you provide me some times ago)

repo := (IceRepository registry detect: [ :each | each includesPackageNamed: 'GeneticAlgorithm' ] ifNone: [ self error: 'Please add a clone of this project to Iceberg to access to the resources' ]) location.

In this case, I can use some resources located in the git repository of the GeneticAlgorithm project. Eg. repo / ‘my image.png’

What does GitBridge bring more than that? I feel I miss something obvious...

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Jul 16, 2019, at 4:07 PM, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Today I released the v1 of a project I wanted to do since a long time:
> GitBridge.
>
> The goal of the project is to easily access external resources stored in
> the git repository of the project and other information.
>
> For more infos check the Quick start or documentation present at:
> https://github.com/jecisc/GitBridge
>
> When Monticello was the most common VCS usable with Pharo we stored a
> lot of external resources in the image. Now we are able to store them
> outside, get a lighter image and make it easier to edit and version them!
>
> This can be useful to store test resources, CSS/JS files for web
> applications, documentation, etc.
>
> This can also be useful to get from the application some information
> such as the current version of the application instead of hard-coding it
> in a method to update at each release.
>
> It implementation relies on Iceberg and the repositories registered in it.
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr

Re: [ANN] GitBridge

CyrilFerlicot
On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 4:59 PM Alexandre Bergel via Pharo-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Cyril,
>
> This look awesome. A quick question: to access external resources, I usually use the expression (that you provide me some times ago)
>
> repo := (IceRepository registry detect: [ :each | each includesPackageNamed: 'GeneticAlgorithm' ] ifNone: [ self error: 'Please add a clone of this project to Iceberg to access to the resources' ]) location.
>
> In this case, I can use some resources located in the git repository of the GeneticAlgorithm project. Eg. repo / ‘my image.png’
>
> What does GitBridge bring more than that? I feel I miss something obvious...

Well, it is mostly that. If you check the implementation it uses the
same kind of expression.

What it bring more is to factorise the code to do it (Like this if
Iceberg change I just need to update GitBridge and all projects using
it will be fixed). It also brings methods such as #version that can be
useful and I hope we will add useful things to it to avoid everyone
duplicating their own version in their project.

Last thing is that the API is clear. For example you can just do:
`GABridge images` instead of the whole detect on the Iceberg registry.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: [ANN] GitBridge

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Cyril,

Thanks for doing this.
I'll use it in PharoJS.
We have HTML files that are used to run tests. We also need to know where to export JS files generated from Pharo code.

Noury
IceTipRepositoriesModel new repositories detect: [: repo | repo name = #PharoJS].