[ANN] Glorp-SQLite3 for Pharo 5

Pierce Ng-3
Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce the release of Glorp-SQLite3 for Pharo 5.

Written and tested on 64-bit Linux Mint 17. You'll need to place the 32-bit
libsqlite3.so where your Pharo 5 VM can find it.

Take a fresh Pharo 5 image. Run the following:

    Gofer it
        smalltalkhubUser: 'TorstenBergmann' project: 'UDBC';
        configuration;
        load.
        (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfUDBC) loadBleedingEdge.

    Gofer it
        smalltalkhubUser: 'DBXTalk' project: 'Garage';
        configurationOf: 'GarageGlorp';
        load.
        #ConfigurationOfGarageGlorp asClass project stableVersion load.

    Gofer it
        smalltalkhubUser: 'DBXTalk' project: 'Glorp';
        package: 'Glorp-SQLite3';
        load.

    GlorpSQLite3CIConfiguration new configureSqlite3.
    GlorpDemoTablePopulatorResource invalidateSetup.

Then run the Glorp tests in TestRunner. You should get 889 passing tests, with
12 tests skipped. The database file is sodbxtestu.db in your image directory.

Feedback welcome.

Pierce

Re: [ANN] Glorp-SQLite3 for Pharo 5

Denis Kudriashov
Hi.

Good job.
Does queries block image?

[...]

Esteban A. Maringolo
This is excellent news Pierce.

Thank you very much for your collaboration.

I loaded the package as per your instructions, and all the tests are passing!

Regarding the load script, since you don't use Garage and use UDBC
instead, you can load Glorp directly, as per the following.

   Gofer it
        smalltalkhubUser: 'TorstenBergmann' project: 'UDBC';
        configuration;
        load.
        (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfUDBC) loadBleedingEdge.

    Gofer it
        smalltalkhubUser: 'DBXTalk' project: 'Glorp';
        configurationOf: 'Glorp';
        load.
        #ConfigurationOfGlorp asClass project stableVersion load.

    Gofer it
        smalltalkhubUser: 'DBXTalk' project: 'Glorp';
        package: 'Glorp-SQLite3';
        load.

    GlorpSQLite3CIConfiguration new configureSqlite3.
    GlorpDemoTablePopulatorResource invalidateSetup.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 07:48:08PM +0200, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
> Does queries block image?

The driver uses Pharo's FFI functionality which to my understanding is
blocking.

Pierce

Re: [ANN] Glorp-SQLite3 for Pharo 5

Denis Kudriashov

The driver uses Pharo's FFI functionality which to my understanding is
blocking.

And there is no asynchronous API for queries? (in libsqlite3.so)

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 06:07:30PM +0200, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
> > The driver uses Pharo's FFI functionality which to my understanding is
> > blocking.
> >
> And there is no asynchronous API for queries? (in libsqlite3.so)

SQLite's C API supports a callback mechanism, by which an application-supplied
callback function is invoked for each row of data. However, I haven't built that
callback mechanism for the Pharo SQLite3 wrapper, and it remains to be seen whether
the Pharo VM will run other Smalltalk code when it is invoked by callback.

Pierce