[ANN] HelpSystem (was ProfStef)

Torsten Bergmann
Page order is now defined using a method #pages.
Also more help texts are added. Just try:

 Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
      package: 'ConfigurationOfHelpSystem';
      load.

   (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfHelpSystem) load.

  HelpSystem reset.
  HelpBrowser open

Have fun,
T.
jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser

Re: [ANN] HelpSystem (was ProfStef)

Danny Chan
Am Samstag, 13. Februar 2010 00:47:36 schrieb Torsten Bergmann:

> Page order is now defined using a method #pages.
> Also more help texts are added. Just try:

>  Gofer new
>       squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>       package: 'ConfigurationOfHelpSystem';
>       load.
>
>    (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfHelpSystem) load.
>
>   HelpSystem reset.
>   HelpBrowser open

> Have fun,
> T.

Hi!

I like the browser with the icons and that you can nest books. I have
implemented some authoring capabilities in ProfStefBrowser to create new
tutorials, save changes to the current page or add another one, and to reorder
pages on the fly. I also have a bit of code to jump to a particular book/page
from code. I would like to add this to your code, maybe shown only in some
kind of expert mode controlled by a setting. I would like to have a help
system that can grow with the user's experience. Here are some additonal ideas
I've had:

- Seamless integration with Monticello, so that a user can rewrite parts of a
tutorial and upload it directly from the browser to a tutorial inbox
- Integration of functionality from ScriptManager
- Some kind of simple markup language to have for example links to other pages
or books, or to execute code snippets with a single mouse click
- I guess it is possible to highlight GUI elements somehow from code. Wouldn't
it be cool to not have a lot of pictures in a help page that show your tool
and which button to click, but rather be able to highlight the right button
directly in the running tool?
- Following up on your idea about integration with tools, what about
integration with the debugger? Have a help item in every tool by default, and
when you click on it have the option from the debugger to create a help page
on the fly and submit it to the tool maintainer

What do you think?

Cheers, Danny

Re: [ANN] HelpSystem (was ProfStef)

Mariano Martinez Peck
I like the idea. All what is help and documentation, I like it :)

Now....It is not clear for me the differences between HelpSystem and ProfStef.
Help system is new ? or it was in squeaksource several years ago ?  which are the differences between them ?
are they related ? should they be merged?   when we should use one and when the other ?

Of course that this will be cool to include in PharoDev (not in 1.0, thus)

Thanks for any clarification.

Mariano