classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ANN] Iceberg 0.6.2 backported to Pharo 6.1

EstebanLM
Hi,

I backported lastest Iceberg version to Pharo 6.1 to allow people to benefit for latest changes.
This version has an important amount of tweak and fixes, but most important is the inclusion of tonel file format (this is default for Pharo 7.0, optional for Pharo 6.1) and introduces a file-per-class format.
The advantages of this format has everything to do with the speed of access (is easier to reconstruct a package like) and the space on disk (methods are usually small but minimum space in disk is usually 4k so we waste a lot of space). Is also a better format for SSD disks.

To backport Iceberg 0.6.2 I also needed to backport latest version of Metacello, so Pharo 6.1 and Pharo7+ users now also have the latest version of it available :)

cheers!
Esteban

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [ANN] Iceberg 0.6.2 backported to Pharo 6.1

NorbertHartl
Super! Thanks for that!

Norbert

> Am 27.10.2017 um 11:36 schrieb Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I backported lastest Iceberg version to Pharo 6.1 to allow people to benefit for latest changes.
> This version has an important amount of tweak and fixes, but most important is the inclusion of tonel file format (this is default for Pharo 7.0, optional for Pharo 6.1) and introduces a file-per-class format.
> The advantages of this format has everything to do with the speed of access (is easier to reconstruct a package like) and the space on disk (methods are usually small but minimum space in disk is usually 4k so we waste a lot of space). Is also a better format for SSD disks.
>
> To backport Iceberg 0.6.2 I also needed to backport latest version of Metacello, so Pharo 6.1 and Pharo7+ users now also have the latest version of it available :)
>
> cheers!
> Esteban

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
Esteban, could you please give me the instructions to update a Pharo 6.1 image with Iceberg 0.6.1 to 0.6.2  and keep using filetree ?

Maybe same as these instructions [1] but changing url to 'github://pharo-vcs/iceberg:v0.6.2' ?

Note that I am asking because you also said we needed to update Metacello...

Thanks in advance, 

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 6:36 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I backported lastest Iceberg version to Pharo 6.1 to allow people to benefit for latest changes.
This version has an important amount of tweak and fixes, but most important is the inclusion of tonel file format (this is default for Pharo 7.0, optional for Pharo 6.1) and introduces a file-per-class format.
The advantages of this format has everything to do with the speed of access (is easier to reconstruct a package like) and the space on disk (methods are usually small but minimum space in disk is usually 4k so we waste a lot of space). Is also a better format for SSD disks.

To backport Iceberg 0.6.2 I also needed to backport latest version of Metacello, so Pharo 6.1 and Pharo7+ users now also have the latest version of it available :)

cheers!
Esteban

--
Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM

On 27 Oct 2017, at 13:42, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Esteban, could you please give me the instructions to update a Pharo 6.1 image with Iceberg 0.6.1 to 0.6.2  and keep using filetree ?

Maybe same as these instructions [1] but changing url to '<a href="github://pharo-vcs/iceberg:v0.6.2" class="">github://pharo-vcs/iceberg:v0.6.2' ?

Note that I am asking because you also said we needed to update Metacello…

here are the notes: DO NOTHING :)
I already did the work for you.

Esteban

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 6:36 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

cheers!
Esteban

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
Great work!

Doru

> On Oct 27, 2017, at 11:36 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I backported lastest Iceberg version to Pharo 6.1 to allow people to benefit for latest changes.
> This version has an important amount of tweak and fixes, but most important is the inclusion of tonel file format (this is default for Pharo 7.0, optional for Pharo 6.1) and introduces a file-per-class format.
> The advantages of this format has everything to do with the speed of access (is easier to reconstruct a package like) and the space on disk (methods are usually small but minimum space in disk is usually 4k so we waste a lot of space). Is also a better format for SSD disks.
>
> To backport Iceberg 0.6.2 I also needed to backport latest version of Metacello, so Pharo 6.1 and Pharo7+ users now also have the latest version of it available :)
>
> cheers!
> Esteban
>
>
>
>
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."