[ANN] Ideas for this year GSoC wanted

12

[ANN] Ideas for this year GSoC wanted

Janko Mivšek
Dear Smalltalkers,

Let we apply this year again for the Google Summer of Code, which as you
know is a Google's stipendium program for students to encourage them
working on open-source projects [1].

Ok, our first step as community is to collect ideas for possible
projects and to apply to the GSoC as an organization. Deadline is next
Friday, so please hurry on with ideas. Just put them as reply to this
email or to admins directly and we will put them on our website [2].

Your project idea should be written as answers to these questions:

  Name
  Level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)
  Possible mentor
  Possible second mentor

  Description
  Technical Details
  Benefits to the Student
  Benefits to the Community

See how such ideas look like in past: http://gsoc2010.esug.org/ideas.

Waiting for your ideas
Carla and Janko, your GSoC Admin team

[1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012
[2] http://gsoc2012.esug.org

--
Carla F. Griggio, Janko Mivšek
Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team

gsoc12-logo.png (106K) Download Attachment

Project ideas for GSoC, 7 days left!

Janko Mivšek
Hi everyone,

7 days to deadline for ideas of this year GSoC! Please think about what
would be a nice project for students to work and that way join our
community. And yes, students are welcome to propose projects too!

Let we "recycle" past project ideas too! Please review them and propose
those still valuable. Or change the proposal to suit better. Here they
are: http://gsoc2010.esug.org/ideas .

Let me and Carla post GSoC related stuff only on Pharo, Squeak and VWNC
mailing lists while for other let someone forward those mails there
please. It is just too hard to post on 10+ mailing lists, you know...

Past GSoC mentors please join the debate on special Smalltalk GSoC
mentors list: http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors. If
you want to be mentor this year you are welcome to join that list too.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
http://gsoc2012.esug.org

Re: Project ideas for GSoC, 7 days left!

hernanmd
To dream is easy:

-HDF5 (http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/) support like PyTables or h5py for Python
-Information Retrieval/Full Text Search package like Lucene (http://lucene.apache.org/)
-A binding to R or SAS or SPSS
-Better or more semantic web support (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Services_Resource_Framework#Implementations)
-An omnibrowser for OWL ontologies
-CSS template system
-Support of a Distributed Hash Table protocol like Pastry (http://www.freepastry.org/)
-Workflow system with designer and plug-in architecture (see http://www.taverna.org.uk/)
-Big data CSV parser plugin
-Plugin for fast approximate search in strings

cheers,

--
Janko Mivšek
Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team

--
Hernán Morales
Information Technology Manager,
Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Re: Project ideas for GSoC, 7 days left!

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

On 2 Mar 2012, at 21:17, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> -An omnibrowser for OWL ontologies

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by this? Do you already have OWL ontologies implemented?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Project ideas for GSoC, 7 days left!

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:38 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Make web browser plugin of Squeak work better on all platforms.
Get Etoys image to run on CogVM.

Karl, these are great suggestions.

Karl

--
best,
Eliot

Re: Project ideas for GSoC, 7 days left!

ccrraaiigg

Hi Janko--

1.

Name                       minimal virtual machine
Level                      intermediate
Possible mentor            Craig Latta
Possible second mentor     Eliot Miranda (I'm volunteering him :)

Description                Create a minimal Squeak virtual machine, to
                           accompany the minimal object memory provided
                           by the Spoon project
                           (http://netjam.org/spoon)
Technical Details
Benefits to the Student    The student will learn the organization of
                           the Squeak virtual machine.
Benefits to the Community  The community will benefit from an improved
                           virtual machine organization, making it
                           easier to learn and easier for newcomers to
                           contribute.

2.

Name                       object memory modularization
Level                      intermediate
Possible mentor            Craig Latta
Possible second mentor     (volunteers sought)

Description                Modularize the Squeak object memory into
                           Naiad modules (see http://netjam.org/spoon).
Technical Details          Organize the classes and methods of Squeak
                           into composable modules using Naiad, Spoon's
                           history system. Develop tools to aid in this
                           process.
Benefits to the Student    The student will learn how to create
                           deployable Squeak applications, by helping
                           to invent the process.
Benefits to the Community  The community will benefit from improved
                           techniques for collaboration and deployment.

     thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

Re: Project ideas for GSoC, 7 days left!

hernanmd
Hi Tudor,

No I haven't, but we plan to build one for the animal genetics domain in a few months. Have you tried to build a (glamour?) browser over RDF/XML? It would be cool to have the structural knowledge of an ontology browseable, and a graph displaying the entities and relationships, like the OWLViz in Protegé 4 (see the example of pizza.owl in http://www.semanticfocus.com/blog/author/name/cody/)
Cheers,

Hernán

2012/3/2 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
Hi,

On 2 Mar 2012, at 21:17, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> -An omnibrowser for OWL ontologies

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by this? Do you already have OWL ontologies implemented?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: [ANN] Ideas for this year GSoC wanted

askoh
Administrator
Name: Search Indexing of Smalltalk image
Level: Intermediate
Possible mentor: Aik-Siong Koh
Possible second mentor: Ian Chai

Description
All Smalltalk development environments can now search for implementors, senders or strings using brute force. The results are usually just listed alphabetically. This project will use search technology to index and page rank all the packages, classes, methods and comments in the image. Search results will be returned quickly and ranked intelligently. It will be a Search Engine for Smalltalk in Smalltalk. A search browser will be created to accept search strings and return columns of hits for packages, classes, methods and comments listed according to their page ranks. Time permitting, an autocompletion capability will be implemented to suggest relevant methods for code writing. The code will be made portable to all Smalltalk dialects.

Technical Details
The Anatomy of a Search Engine

http://infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html

Benefits to the Student
The student will learn the important areas of search technology and object oriented programming. The student will experience creating something that is immediately useful to all Smalltalk programmers.

Benefits to the Community
Fast and intelligent search of Smalltalk code will help the community advance Smalltalk development even faster. Additional programming capabilities can be built on top of the search capabillities.

Re: [ANN] Ideas for this year GSoC wanted

HI janko

Here is a project for the pharo core team

> Your project idea should be written as answers to these questions:

 Name: Bootstrapping the core
 Level Advanced
 Possible mentor: S. Ducasse
 Possible second mentor: I Stasenko

 Description
        The goal of the project is to support the bootstrapping of a image based on a list of operations.

 Technical Details
        This works is a follow up on the effort we started around hazelnuts http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Seed
        We will continue working on system tracer and we will revisit the decisions we took in hazelnuts

 Benefits to the Student
        Learn about in the internal of the system and bootstrapping techniques.

 Benefits to the Community
        Have a new kernel that builds from sources systematically

> See how such ideas look like in past: http://gsoc2010.esug.org/ideas.
>
> Waiting for your ideas
> Carla and Janko, your GSoC Admin team
>
> [1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012
> [2] http://gsoc2012.esug.org
>
> --
> Carla F. Griggio, Janko Mivšek
> Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
> http://gsoc2012.esug.org
>
> <gsoc12-logo.png>

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Project ideas for GSoC, 7 days left!

Janko Mivšek
Hernán and Karl, can you or someone else develop your ideas a bit
furher, by answering the questions:

  description
  technical details
  benefif for student
  benefit for community

while potential mentor can be choosen later

Thanks!
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
http://gsoc2012.esug.org

Re: GSoC ideas, 5 days to go!

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

Friday is approaching fast and we have so far only 4 complete ideas on
this year ideas page:

        http://gsoc2012.esug.org/ideas

Please think harder, two years ago we had 36 ideas and all evolved later
to projects, with mentor, second mentor, student etc. So, are we without
ideas two years later? :)

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Project ideas for GSoC, 7 days left!

Carla F. Griggio
Hernán,
With CSS template system you mean, for example, describing the style of morphic objects with CSS syntax?

Cheers,
Carla.

--
Janko Mivšek
Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team

Re: GSoC ideas, 5 days to go!

Carla F. Griggio
Hi everybody!

Please remember that project ideas don't have to be projects to do from scratch. They could be new features or improvements for projects that are already being used or developed.

Cheers!
Carla.

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: GSoC ideas, 5 days to go!

Geoffroy Couprie
Hello,

I'm not sure if it has been done before, but an image provisioning tool would be cool. Imagine a window where you have different image profiles (for example, one for Seaside, one for Aida, one for desktop apps), you just click on it and it creates a minimal image with all the paquets you need. And you can create other profiles by selecting a few Metacello configurations.

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: GSoC ideas, 5 days to go!

Stéphane Ducasse
would love to have that :)

On Mar 6, 2012, at 9:19 AM, Geoffroy Couprie wrote:

> [...]
> > you want to be mentor this year you are welcome to join that list too.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Janko
> >
> > S, Janko Mivšek piše:
> >> Dear Smalltalkers,
> >>
> >> Let we apply this year again for the Google Summer of Code, which as you
> >> know is a Google's stipendium program for students to encourage them
> >> working on open-source projects [1].
> >>
> >> Ok, our first step as community is to collect ideas for possible
> >> projects and to apply to the GSoC as an organization. Deadline is next
> >> Friday, so please hurry on with ideas. Just put them as reply to this
> >> email or to admins directly and we will put them on our website [2].
> >>
> >> Your project idea should be written as answers to these questions:
> >>
> >>   Name
> >>   Level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)

Re: GSoC ideas, 5 days to go!

Carla F. Griggio
Yes, I'd love that too :)

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > you want to be mentor this year you are welcome to join that list too.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Janko
> >
> > S, Janko Mivšek piše:
> >> Dear Smalltalkers,
> >>
> >> Let we apply this year again for the Google Summer of Code, which as you
> >> know is a Google's stipendium program for students to encourage them
> >> working on open-source projects [1].
> >>
> >> Ok, our first step as community is to collect ideas for possible
> >> projects and to apply to the GSoC as an organization. Deadline is next
> >> Friday, so please hurry on with ideas. Just put them as reply to this
> >> email or to admins directly and we will put them on our website [2].
> >>
> >> Your project idea should be written as answers to these questions:
> >>
> >>   Name
> >>   Level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)

Re: GSoC ideas, 5 days to go!

Carla F. Griggio
Geoffroy, could you develop your idea a little more using the template Janko sent before? Thanks!

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > you want to be mentor this year you are welcome to join that list too.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Janko
> >
> > S, Janko Mivšek piše:
> >> Dear Smalltalkers,
> >>
> >> Let we apply this year again for the Google Summer of Code, which as you
> >> know is a Google's stipendium program for students to encourage them
> >> working on open-source projects [1].
> >>
> >> Ok, our first step as community is to collect ideas for possible
> >> projects and to apply to the GSoC as an organization. Deadline is next
> >> Friday, so please hurry on with ideas. Just put them as reply to this
> >> email or to admins directly and we will put them on our website [2].
> >>
> >> Your project idea should be written as answers to these questions:
> >>
> >>   Name
> >>   Level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)

Re: GSoC ideas, 5 days to go!

Geoffroy Couprie
Here it is:

Name: Image provisioning tool
Level: Intermediate
Possible mentor: ? (I don't think I'm active enough here to mentor this project)
Possible second mentor: ?

Description
A lot of developers keep multiple images around for development, and a good practice is to start from a fresh image for each new project. Oddly, this process is not yet included in the common developer tools, so we rely on custom scripts (in the best case) or lots of drags and drops (in the worst case) to manage our development environment. We need a tool to simplify the image management and keep track of all our projects.

The goal of this project is to build a tool to could automatically create new projects from fresh images(ex: Core, Development) and load needed tools and classes (ex: Seaside), and manage those projects (list, delete, etc). This tool could also be used to deploy development code to testing and staging images, and build the production image.

Technical Details
The image provisioning tool would need a simple interface to manage the different projects, and be able to launch a new environment and load code in it. We already have Metacello, a configuration and dependency tracking tool, which can be used to get all the needed packets to create a new image.

Benefits to the Student
The student would learn a lot about package management and software configuration management, and may be able to build a complete development workflow/

Benefits to the Community
The Smalltalk community will gain a useful tool to streamline their development process and gain time in research and development.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > you want to be mentor this year you are welcome to join that list too.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Janko
> >
> > S, Janko Mivšek piše:
> >> Dear Smalltalkers,
> >>
> >> Let we apply this year again for the Google Summer of Code, which as you
> >> know is a Google's stipendium program for students to encourage them
> >> working on open-source projects [1].
> >>
> >> Ok, our first step as community is to collect ideas for possible
> >> projects and to apply to the GSoC as an organization. Deadline is next
> >> Friday, so please hurry on with ideas. Just put them as reply to this
> >> email or to admins directly and we will put them on our website [2].
> >>
> >> Your project idea should be written as answers to these questions:
> >>
> >>   Name
> >>   Level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)

Re: GSoC ideas, 5 days to go!

Nick
Hi Janko,

Here you go: 'ePUB Output for Pier Books'

--------------

Name: ePUB Output for Pier Books
Level: Intermediate
Possible mentor: Nick Ager
Possible second mentor: Lukas Rengli

Description
Pier [1,2] is an extensible object-oriented content management system that includes a book authoring engine. The book authoring engine has been used to document a number of Smalltalk based projects, most notable Seaside [3] as well as Moose [4] and Pharo [5].

The goal of this project is add ePUB [6] as an output format to Pier enabling existing and future Pier books and other Pier content to be output in a format readable by popular eReaders.

Technical Details

Content in Pier is parsed into a document tree that supports the visitor pattern [7] for traversing the internal representation. Pier currently supports a number of output formats such as HTML, plain text, RSS, wiki text. These formats are generated by visitors. The existing visitors would act as a template for creation of an ePUB visitor which would generate ePUB compatible output.

Benefits to the Student
The project is well defined with a clear deliverable. The student will gain an understanding of the internals of a powerful, well structured content management system as well as the satisfaction of having a set of artefacts in the format of the existing Pier book content translated into ePUB format.

Benefits to the Community
The Smalltalk community and others using the Pier book authoring engine will gain ePUB as an output format. With an ebook output format authors have a potential new revenue source, encouraging a virtuous cycle of increasing documentation within and outside the community.

Re: GSoC ideas, 5 days to go!

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Good one, Nick. I can offer to be second mentor on this one as well.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

12