[ANN] JRMPC Poll

horrido

FWIW, 95% of respondents pointed to the lack of reference documentation for the class library as the major obstacle to learning Smalltalk/Pharo.

Richard

Re: [ANN] JRMPC Poll

Ben Coman
Pharo has some good documentation, but its more lesson-based than a library reference.
Those of us familiar with Pharo know the tricks to use the system itself as that reference, but I'd imagine this is an unfamiliar workflow for newcomers.

I have seen before a class library reference generated from the image, but I couldn't put my hands on it right now.
@all, is it still being generated?. This might provide newcomers something more familiar to work with.

cheers -ben

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 03:00, Richard Kenneth Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:

FWIW, 95% of respondents pointed to the lack of reference documentation for the class library as the major obstacle to learning Smalltalk/Pharo.

Richard

Re: [ANN] JRMPC Poll

Tim Mackinnon
Or we teach people to fish…? What’s the point of duplicating everything that’s already in the image anyway - we just need to be cleverer or ensure that people know to look there and have the right onboarding experience to do that? Otherwise its just another thing that gets out of date very rapidly and we already have enough problems with that.

I’d be interested in what intro material Richard gave the students to start with (after all - he has quite a few tutorials of his own, some of which I had followed - but I suspect they are out of date now themselves). When you launch pharo there is the helpful welcome screen - did the student’s actually use it and follow what it says?

And did we see any of them in this forum (or was that against the rules?)

Tim

On 24 Mar 2020, at 17:28, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Pharo has some good documentation, but its more lesson-based than a library reference.
Those of us familiar with Pharo know the tricks to use the system itself as that reference, but I'd imagine this is an unfamiliar workflow for newcomers.

I have seen before a class library reference generated from the image, but I couldn't put my hands on it right now.
@all, is it still being generated?. This might provide newcomers something more familiar to work with.

cheers -ben

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 03:00, Richard Kenneth Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:

FWIW, 95% of respondents pointed to the lack of reference documentation for the class library as the major obstacle to learning Smalltalk/Pharo.

Richard

Re: [ANN] JRMPC Poll

horrido
This is what I provided the JRMPC participants: https://jrmpc.ca/ (see "How
to learn Smalltalk programming"). I'm not sure how I could've done better,
though.

You make an excellent point about duplication and keeping documentation
up-to-date. However, there has to be some middle ground that makes it easier
and more convenient for new developers to find the tools they need. Perhaps
a synoptical reference showing the more common classes used, such as
collections, web-related classes, time-related classes, exception and error
classes, file system-related classes, process-related classes, and so on.
These classes ought not to change much, if at all.

Tim Mackinnon wrote

> Or we teach people to fish…? What’s the point of duplicating everything
> that’s already in the image anyway - we just need to be cleverer or ensure
> that people know to look there and have the right onboarding experience to
> do that? Otherwise its just another thing that gets out of date very
> rapidly and we already have enough problems with that.
>
> I’d be interested in what intro material Richard gave the students to
> start with (after all - he has quite a few tutorials of his own, some of
> which I had followed - but I suspect they are out of date now themselves).
> When you launch pharo there is the helpful welcome screen - did the
> student’s actually use it and follow what it says?
>
> And did we see any of them in this forum (or was that against the rules?)
>
> Tim
>
>> On 24 Mar 2020, at 17:28, Ben Coman &lt;

> btc@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> Pharo has some good documentation, but its more lesson-based than a
>> library reference.
>> Those of us familiar with Pharo know the tricks to use the system itself
>> as that reference, but I'd imagine this is an unfamiliar workflow for
>> newcomers.
>>
>> I have seen before a class library reference generated from the image,
>> but I couldn't put my hands on it right now.
>> @all, is it still being generated?. This might provide newcomers
>> something more familiar to work with.
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 03:00, Richard Kenneth Eng &lt;

> horrido.hobbies@

>  &lt;mailto:

> horrido.hobbies@

> &gt;> wrote:
>> https://jrmpc.ca/2020/03/20/what-makes-learning-smalltalk-challenging/
>> &lt;https://jrmpc.ca/2020/03/20/what-makes-learning-smalltalk-challenging/&gt;
>>
>> FWIW, 95% of respondents pointed to the lack of reference documentation
>> for the class library as the major obstacle to learning Smalltalk/Pharo.
>>
>> Richard

Re: [ANN] JRMPC Poll

horrido
Exactly! The JRMPC participants were more used to looking things up quickly
and easily, rather than exploring. It's not easy to teach people how to
explore a system for needed information, and more importantly, it's a
time-consuming process. People are impatient.

Smalltalk is not for impatient people, and that's the major problem.

Ben Coman wrote

> Pharo has some good documentation, but its more lesson-based than a
> library
> reference.
> Those of us familiar with Pharo know the tricks to use the system itself
> as
> that reference, but I'd imagine this is an unfamiliar workflow for
> newcomers.
>
> I have seen before a class library reference generated from the image, but
> I couldn't put my hands on it right now.
> @all, is it still being generated?. This might provide newcomers
> something more familiar to work with.
>
> cheers -ben
>
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 03:00, Richard Kenneth Eng &lt;

> horrido.hobbies@

> &gt;
> wrote:
>
>> https://jrmpc.ca/2020/03/20/what-makes-learning-smalltalk-challenging/
>>
>> FWIW, 95% of respondents pointed to the lack of reference documentation
>> for the class library as the major obstacle to learning Smalltalk/Pharo.
>>
>> Richard

Re: [ANN] JRMPC Poll

CyrilFerlicot
On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 7:29 PM Richard Kenneth Eng
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://jrmpc.ca/2020/03/20/what-makes-learning-smalltalk-challenging/
>
> FWIW, 95% of respondents pointed to the lack of reference documentation for the class library as the major obstacle to learning Smalltalk/Pharo.

Hi!

If you discovered part of the system that are not documented enough
and that blocked the participants, do not hesitate to open issues on
Pharo-wiki so that we can think about documenting them in it!

https://github.com/pharo-open-documentation/pharo-wiki

Have a nice day.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: [ANN] JRMPC Poll

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, 08:49 horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is what I provided the JRMPC participants: https://jrmpc.ca/ (see "How
to learn Smalltalk programming"). I'm not sure how I could've done better,
though.

You make an excellent point about duplication and keeping documentation
up-to-date. However, there has to be some middle ground that makes it easier
and more convenient for new developers to find the tools they need. Perhaps
a synoptical reference showing the more common classes used, such as
collections, web-related classes, time-related classes, exception and error
classes, file system-related classes, process-related classes, and so on.
These classes ought not to change much, if at all.

I agree with this. So many times I have seen documentation that could be compared to what results from throwing a plate of spaghetti (Bolognese!) at a wall.

Usually what's lacking is the kind of information that might be called a road map. Not so much in the sense of a set of directions, but like a real road map or a transit system map, lays out the routes and shows the connections between important places.

Pulling numbers out of thin air, it might be that as little as 1% of the system details would suffice to show a novice how things fit together and how to easily navigate the detailed information.

Like you suggest, this small fraction would be at a high enough level or of such importance that it would be unlikely to become stale.

Tim Mackinnon wrote
> Or we teach people to fish…? What’s the point of duplicating everything
> that’s already in the image anyway - we just need to be cleverer or ensure
> that people know to look there and have the right onboarding experience to
> do that? Otherwise its just another thing that gets out of date very
> rapidly and we already have enough problems with that.
>
> I’d be interested in what intro material Richard gave the students to
> start with (after all - he has quite a few tutorials of his own, some of
> which I had followed - but I suspect they are out of date now themselves).
> When you launch pharo there is the helpful welcome screen - did the
> student’s actually use it and follow what it says?
>
> And did we see any of them in this forum (or was that against the rules?)
>
> Tim
>
>> On 24 Mar 2020, at 17:28, Ben Coman &lt;

> btc@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> Pharo has some good documentation, but its more lesson-based than a
>> library reference.
>> Those of us familiar with Pharo know the tricks to use the system itself
>> as that reference, but I'd imagine this is an unfamiliar workflow for
>> newcomers.
>>
>> I have seen before a class library reference generated from the image,
>> but I couldn't put my hands on it right now.
>> @all, is it still being generated?. This might provide newcomers
>> something more familiar to work with.
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 03:00, Richard Kenneth Eng &lt;

> horrido.hobbies@

>  &lt;mailto:

> horrido.hobbies@

> &gt;> wrote:
>> https://jrmpc.ca/2020/03/20/what-makes-learning-smalltalk-challenging/
>> &lt;https://jrmpc.ca/2020/03/20/what-makes-learning-smalltalk-challenging/&gt;
>>
>> FWIW, 95% of respondents pointed to the lack of reference documentation
>> for the class library as the major obstacle to learning Smalltalk/Pharo.
>>
>> Richard

Re: [ANN] JRMPC Poll

Richard O'Keefe
I am a little confused here.  I originally learned Smalltalk from the
coloured books and
then Inside Smalltalk.  When I got the chance to use Squeak, pretty
much everything
from those books carried over well enough for me to hit the ground
running.  There are
lots of free e-books about Smalltalk, not least Pharo By Example.  Had
these people
who were polled read PBE?

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 04:49, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is what I provided the JRMPC participants: https://jrmpc.ca/ (see "How
> to learn Smalltalk programming"). I'm not sure how I could've done better,
> though.
>
> You make an excellent point about duplication and keeping documentation
> up-to-date. However, there has to be some middle ground that makes it easier
> and more convenient for new developers to find the tools they need. Perhaps
> a synoptical reference showing the more common classes used, such as
> collections, web-related classes, time-related classes, exception and error
> classes, file system-related classes, process-related classes, and so on.
> These classes ought not to change much, if at all.
>

> Tim Mackinnon wrote
> > Or we teach people to fish…? What’s the point of duplicating everything
> > that’s already in the image anyway - we just need to be cleverer or ensure
> > that people know to look there and have the right onboarding experience to
> > do that? Otherwise its just another thing that gets out of date very
> > rapidly and we already have enough problems with that.
> >
> > I’d be interested in what intro material Richard gave the students to
> > start with (after all - he has quite a few tutorials of his own, some of
> > which I had followed - but I suspect they are out of date now themselves).
> > When you launch pharo there is the helpful welcome screen - did the
> > student’s actually use it and follow what it says?
> >
> > And did we see any of them in this forum (or was that against the rules?)
> >
> > Tim
> >
> >> On 24 Mar 2020, at 17:28, Ben Coman &lt;
>
> > btc@
>
> > &gt; wrote:
> >>
> >> Pharo has some good documentation, but its more lesson-based than a
> >> library reference.
> >> Those of us familiar with Pharo know the tricks to use the system itself
> >> as that reference, but I'd imagine this is an unfamiliar workflow for
> >> newcomers.
> >>
> >> I have seen before a class library reference generated from the image,
> >> but I couldn't put my hands on it right now.
> >> @all, is it still being generated?. This might provide newcomers
> >> something more familiar to work with.
> >>
> >> cheers -ben
> >>
> >> On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 03:00, Richard Kenneth Eng &lt;
>
> > horrido.hobbies@
>
> >  &lt;mailto:
>
> > horrido.hobbies@
>
> > &gt;> wrote:
> >> https://jrmpc.ca/2020/03/20/what-makes-learning-smalltalk-challenging/
> >> &lt;https://jrmpc.ca/2020/03/20/what-makes-learning-smalltalk-challenging/&gt;
> >>
> >> FWIW, 95% of respondents pointed to the lack of reference documentation
> >> for the class library as the major obstacle to learning Smalltalk/Pharo.
> >>
> >> Richard

Re: [ANN] JRMPC Poll

horrido
I didn't ask them that, but I did provide the link to PBE. It was up to them
to learn any way they wish.

You can't mandate people to read PBE. You can lead a horse to water but you
can't make it drink.

PBE is not a good resource if you want to look up classes that you need for
your application. Just as you guys provide a quick reference for Pharo
syntax, you should provide a quick reference for the class library, too.
That would definitely ease the learning curve.

All programming languages rely on a "standard library" (in our case, a
standard class library). No self-respecting language would lack a standard
library reference, whether we're talking about C, C++, C#, Java, Python,
etc.  Even GNU Smalltalk understood this.
<https://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual-base/gst-base.html>

Richard O'Keefe wrote

> I am a little confused here.  I originally learned Smalltalk from the
> coloured books and
> then Inside Smalltalk.  When I got the chance to use Squeak, pretty
> much everything
> from those books carried over well enough for me to hit the ground
> running.  There are
> lots of free e-books about Smalltalk, not least Pharo By Example.  Had
> these people
> who were polled read PBE?
>
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 04:49, horrido &lt;

> horrido.hobbies@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> This is what I provided the JRMPC participants: https://jrmpc.ca/ (see
>> "How
>> to learn Smalltalk programming"). I'm not sure how I could've done
>> better,
>> though.
>>
>> You make an excellent point about duplication and keeping documentation
>> up-to-date. However, there has to be some middle ground that makes it
>> easier
>> and more convenient for new developers to find the tools they need.
>> Perhaps
>> a synoptical reference showing the more common classes used, such as
>> collections, web-related classes, time-related classes, exception and
>> error
>> classes, file system-related classes, process-related classes, and so on.
>> These classes ought not to change much, if at all.
>>

>> Tim Mackinnon wrote
>> > Or we teach people to fish…? What’s the point of duplicating everything
>> > that’s already in the image anyway - we just need to be cleverer or
>> ensure
>> > that people know to look there and have the right onboarding experience
>> > do that? Otherwise its just another thing that gets out of date very
>> > rapidly and we already have enough problems with that.
>> >
>> > I’d be interested in what intro material Richard gave the students to
>> > start with (after all - he has quite a few tutorials of his own, some
>> of
>> > which I had followed - but I suspect they are out of date now
>> themselves).
>> > When you launch pharo there is the helpful welcome screen - did the
>> > student’s actually use it and follow what it says?
>> >
>> > And did we see any of them in this forum (or was that against the
>> rules?)
>> >
>> > Tim

>> > btc@

>> itself

>> > horrido.hobbies@
>>
>> >  &lt;mailto:
>>
>> > horrido.hobbies@

>> &lt;https://jrmpc.ca/2020/03/20/what-makes-learning-smalltalk-challenging/&gt;

>> documentation
>> Smalltalk/Pharo.

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: [ANN] JRMPC Poll

Trygve
Could the class documentation you are looking for be generated automagically from the class comments? The first para could be a blurb describing the purpose of the class. The resulting document could be searchable.
--Trygve

&gt;> wrote:
https://jrmpc.ca/2020/03/20/what-makes-learning-smalltalk-challenging/

&lt;https://jrmpc.ca/2020/03/20/what-makes-learning-smalltalk-challenging/&gt;
FWIW, 95% of respondents pointed to the lack of reference
documentation
for the class library as the major obstacle to learning
Smalltalk/Pharo.
Richard

The essence of object orientation is that objects collaborate  to achieve a goal.
Trygve Reenskaug
[hidden email]
Morgedalsvn. 5A
http://folk.uio.no/trygver/
N-0378 Oslo
http://fullOO.info
Norway                     Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27