[ANN] LatAm Squeaksource Mirror online again

[ANN] LatAm Squeaksource Mirror online again

jfabry
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that the Latin American public, read-only Squeaksource mirror is again up and running. (We are bringing the contents up to date right now, it should be competely up-to-date in about 5 hours ...) The URL is: http://www.dsal.cl/squeaksource/ Note that you can use this mirror *in a completely transparent fashion*.

We have worked out a solution to the privacy issues raised by the first iteration of our mirror. I would like to emphasize that private data has never been present on the mirror, only the name of private projects was accessible.

TECHNICAL DETAILS BELOW. Please redistribute this announcement!

(below is mainly a repeat of the body of my previous mail)

MOTIVATION:
For us, Switzerland is a long way and the connection to Squeaksource has always been painfully slow. We've set up this mirror to help to address this, and I imagine that it will be of use not only for the Chileans but also other countries in latin america, which is why I am announcing it here.

ITS TRANSPARENT:
I've worked out a way to make the use of this mirror transparent when using Pharo 1.3: you just use monticello as always, and have a setting to redirect loads from Squeaksource to wherever you want. I have successfully loaded Moose and Seaside from the mirror using this package, so it should work for you. And I can tell you, it was blazingly fast: Seaside loaded in 5m45, and most of the time was spent compiling ... ;-)

So try the mirror and the package out, send me your comments, we want to work on this to make Squeaksource a better experience for everybody.

HOW TO USE from Pharo 1.3:
- Get the redirection package from http://www.squeaksource.com/MonticelloRedirect
- To load from the mirror instead of from Squeaksource, do-it of the following:
MRManager redirectFrom: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/' to: 'http://www.dsal.cl/squeaksource/'.
- To remove this redirection: MRManager removeFrom: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/'.
- See comments of MRManager for more info. MRManager list can be useful at some times.
- Only 2 classes, < 10 methods, not counting accessors. The trick is the use of MethodWrappers.
- I did not test this in Squeak or other versions of Pharo. Feel free to try it out in your environment and send me patches if needed.
- There is no UI, contributions are welcome!!

DETAILS ON THE MIRROR
- It's a full copy of Squeaksource, updated daily.
- The mirror is read-only: if you want to make a commit you still have to do it in Squeaksource. This is to avoid all the complications of distributed writes.
- Updates happen once a day, before midnight Chilean time. Updates take typically (up till now) 200 minutes (!), average download speed here is 200KB/s :-(
- Lukas Renggli pointed out that the Squeaksource sitemap file provides a list of projects. We pass this to wget (with some massaging of the data inbetween).
- The software that does the mirror is available here: https://github.com/vramiro/easy-wget-mirror

MANY THANKS TO:
- Daniel Galdames for doing the original mirroring tests
- Victor Ramiro for taking Daniels' work and putting it in production
- The Squeaksource team for helping us, especially Fabrizio Perin and Mircea Lungu
- Lukas Renggli for pointing out the issues with the previous version and providing an alternative.
- You for trying it out and telling us about it!

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] LatAm Squeaksource Mirror online again

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks for your effort. I'm sure that it will help a lot of people.

Stef