[ANN] Magma 1.1r2

Chris Muller-4
I am pleased to announce a new release of Magma containing my updates
since 1.1r1:

- All underscore assignments have now been updated to ANSI assignments.
- When opening the server, a file called "_open" is created in the
repository directory, to indicate the repository is open.  The file is
deleted when the repository is closed gracefully.  This is intended to
help protect from accidentally letting two OS processes open the same
repository files.
- Resurrected MagmaDictionary!  It is just like a Dictionary except
that it inherits the properties of Magma's LargeCollections, such as
size and concurrency.
- Added Collection>>#asMagmaArray and MagmaArray>>#add:.
- Added check for an additional way to run Squeak in headless mode:
the "-vm-display-null" option.
- Added MagmaSessionRequest class>>#signalNewReadStrategy: so that
domains may signal new ReadStrategies to any listening sessions.
- Added MagmaLocalLocation>>#findSession, a convenient counterpart to
#newSession that first checks there is already a session open on that
location and, if so, use that one.  Otherwise, create and answer a new
one.
- Support for persistent, simple BlockClosures (e.g., with only
references to arguments, not "self", any instVars or globals).
- Choose automatically between an appropriate MaDictionary subclass,
depending on whether the new Weak-Finalization mechanism from Igor is
supported.
- Several other minor fixes.

The following represent the 1.1r2 configuration, in load-dependent order:

"Magma client"
{ 'Collections-BTree-lr.73.mcz'.
  'Ma exception handling-cmm.36.mcz'.
  'Ma base additions-cmm.174.mcz'.
  'MaFixedWidthReport-cmm.7.mcz'.
  'Ma Statistics-cmm.24.mcz'.
  'Ma files additions-cmm.13.mcz'.
  'Ma contextual search-cmm.34.mcz'.
  'Ma special collections-cmm.114.mcz'.
  'WriteBarrier-cmm.28.mcz'.
  'Ma Squeak domain-cmm.34.mcz'.
  'Ma proxy support-cmm.42.mcz'.
  'Ma traverse object graphs-cmm.31.mcz'.
  'Ma object serialization-cmm.234.mcz'.
  'Ma client server-cmm.215.mcz'.
  'Magma client-cmm.490.mcz' }

"for Magma server add"
, {'Magma server-cmm.406.mcz'. }

"for Magma tester add"
, { 'Ma Armored Code-cmm.148.mcz'.
  'Ma special collections tester-cmm.14.mcz'.
  'Ma object serialization tester-cmm.32.mcz'.
  'Magma tester-cmm.367.mcz' }

These package versions are available in the "MagmaTester" project of
squeaksource.com.

 - Chris

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Magma 1.1r2

Miguel Cobá
El jue, 29-07-2010 a las 18:55 -0500, Chris Muller escribió:
> I am pleased to announce a new release of Magma containing my updates
> since 1.1r1:

- All underscore assignments have now been updated to ANSI assignments.

Very Good!

>   'Ma files additions-cmm.13.mcz'.

This is a new package. What other package depends on it?

> These package versions are available in the "MagmaTester" project of
> squeaksource.com.

Why on MagmaTester? I thought that for released versions, they were
always on Magma repository and that MagmaTester was for your beta and
not released yet versions, isn't that true anymore?

In repository squeaksource.com/WriteBarrier, there are packages:

WriteBarrier-tbn.28.mcz
WriteBarrier-cmm.27.mcz

Then in MagmaTester repository there is

WriteBarrier-cmm.28.mcz

and in Magma there is

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Magma 1.1r2

Miguel Cobá
Premature send

El jue, 29-07-2010 a las 18:55 -0500, Chris Muller escribió:
> I am pleased to announce a new release of Magma containing my updates
> since 1.1r1:

- All underscore assignments have now been updated to ANSI assignments.

Very Good!

>   'Ma files additions-cmm.13.mcz'.

This is a new package. What other package depends on it?

> These package versions are available in the "MagmaTester" project of
> squeaksource.com.

Why on MagmaTester? I thought that for released versions, they were
always on Magma repository and that MagmaTester was for your beta and
not released yet versions, isn't that true anymore?

In repository squeaksource.com/WriteBarrier, there are packages:

WriteBarrier-tbn.28.mcz
WriteBarrier-cmm.27.mcz

Then in MagmaTester repository there is

WriteBarrier-cmm.28.mcz

and in Magma there is

WriteBarrier-pmm.26.mcz

So I don't understand either, what is the policy here. Is the package
modified, and pushed to the original repo (WriteBarrier) and *then*
copied to MagmaTester and Magma or

Is the package modified in your MagmaTester repo and when finished,
copied to original repo (WriteBarrier) and releases repo (Magma)

I have prepared an update to the configuration of Magma for 1.1r2 with
the preferences corrected but I would like to have all the packages in
WriteBarrier and in Magma (that I consider the releases repositories, or
at least, everything on Magma so that the configuration doesn't refer to
MagmaTester altogether). What do you think?

Cheers and thanks for your work.
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Magma 1.1r2

Chris Muller-3
Hi,

>>   'Ma files additions-cmm.13.mcz'.
>
> This is a new package. What other package depends on it?

The #fullBackupTo: method in Magma server uses a MaClientProcess, a
Process-wrapper that can broadcasts its progress, among other things.
MaClientProcess is part of the "Ma contextual search" package, which
depends on "Ma files additions" for its use of the #directoryTreeDo:
method (for something else unrelated to Magma).  The "Ma" suite of
packages do serve several projects, not just Magma, even if some
methods seem to be "unused" from Magma's perspective.

> Why on MagmaTester? I thought that for released versions, they were
> always on Magma repository and that MagmaTester was for your beta and
> not released yet versions, isn't that true anymore?

It is still true.  My objective was to get something out as quickly as
possible to try to accommodate the Pharo release schedule.  I always
start at "Magma tester"  I have now copied them to the other
repository.  Thanks for your continued assistance on the Pharo side of
things.

BTW:  note there is an updated version of Magma tester which removed
an old unused test.

> In repository squeaksource.com/WriteBarrier, there are packages:
>
> WriteBarrier-tbn.28.mcz
> WriteBarrier-cmm.27.mcz
>
> Then in MagmaTester repository there is
>
> WriteBarrier-cmm.28.mcz
>
> and in Magma there is
>
> WriteBarrier-pmm.26.mcz

The correct one to use is WriteBarrier-cmm.28.mcz.  I do not have
update access to the "WriteBarrier" project on SqueakSource.  Perhaps
Phillip will let me have access or copy it there for me?

I had tried to use WriteBarrier-tbn.28.mcz but there were still
underscore assignments in there.  Therefore, since I had to "do some
work" anyway, I went ahead and reverted back to cmm.27, got out the
trusty ol'e FixUnderscores package, since it works and also preserves
the accounting information which, as you know, is important to me.

> So I don't understand either, what is the policy here. Is the package
> modified, and pushed to the original repo (WriteBarrier) and *then*
> copied to MagmaTester and Magma or

The rate of Magma releases has slowed considerably because it has been
stable and I've been working on other projects that employ Magma
lately rather than working very much on Magma itself.  So I might like
at some point to retire "MagmaTester"; delete it.  Feedback is
appreciated.

> I have prepared an update to the configuration of Magma for 1.1r2 with
> the preferences corrected but I would like to have all the packages in
> WriteBarrier and in Magma (that I consider the releases repositories, or
> at least, everything on Magma so that the configuration doesn't refer to
> MagmaTester altogether). What do you think?

OK, I've copied them to "Magma" too.  I will upload the SAR file to
SqueakMap too, soonish.

 - Chris

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Magma 1.1r2

Miguel Cobá
El vie, 30-07-2010 a las 15:55 -0500, Chris Muller escribió:

> Hi,
>
> >>   'Ma files additions-cmm.13.mcz'.
> >
> > This is a new package. What other package depends on it?
>
> The #fullBackupTo: method in Magma server uses a MaClientProcess, a
> Process-wrapper that can broadcasts its progress, among other things.
> MaClientProcess is part of the "Ma contextual search" package, which
> depends on "Ma files additions" for its use of the #directoryTreeDo:
> method (for something else unrelated to Magma).  The "Ma" suite of
> packages do serve several projects, not just Magma, even if some
> methods seem to be "unused" from Magma's perspective.

Ok. I will update the dependency graph of the ConfigurationOfMagma with
this info.

> > Why on MagmaTester? I thought that for released versions, they were
> > always on Magma repository and that MagmaTester was for your beta and
> > not released yet versions, isn't that true anymore?
>
> It is still true.  My objective was to get something out as quickly as
> possible to try to accommodate the Pharo release schedule.  I always
> start at "Magma tester"  I have now copied them to the other
> repository.  Thanks for your continued assistance on the Pharo side of
> things.
>
> BTW:  note there is an updated version of Magma tester which removed
> an old unused test.

Perfect. I will release a new ConfigurationOfMagma with support for this
new version 1.1r2 with packages taken all  from Magma repo in
squeaksource.

> > In repository squeaksource.com/WriteBarrier, there are packages:
> >
> > WriteBarrier-tbn.28.mcz
> > WriteBarrier-cmm.27.mcz
> >
> > Then in MagmaTester repository there is
> >
> > WriteBarrier-cmm.28.mcz
> >
> > and in Magma there is
> >
> > WriteBarrier-pmm.26.mcz
>
> The correct one to use is WriteBarrier-cmm.28.mcz.  I do not have
> update access to the "WriteBarrier" project on SqueakSource.  Perhaps
> Phillip will let me have access or copy it there for me?

Please Phillipe, +1 to adding Chris to the developers of WriteBarrier as
Magma is a main user of WriteBarrier. This way the last version will be
on WriteBarrier repo (authoritative) and copied also in Magma repo (in
case WriteBarrier disappear someday).

> I had tried to use WriteBarrier-tbn.28.mcz but there were still
> underscore assignments in there.  Therefore, since I had to "do some
> work" anyway, I went ahead and reverted back to cmm.27, got out the
> trusty ol'e FixUnderscores package, since it works and also preserves
> the accounting information which, as you know, is important to me.

> > So I don't understand either, what is the policy here. Is the package
> > modified, and pushed to the original repo (WriteBarrier) and *then*
> > copied to MagmaTester and Magma or
>
> The rate of Magma releases has slowed considerably because it has been
> stable and I've been working on other projects that employ Magma
> lately rather than working very much on Magma itself.  So I might like
> at some point to retire "MagmaTester"; delete it.  Feedback is
> appreciated.

I vote for deleting it, because every released version is on Magma repo
(I think) so there is less noise and less mistakes having some packages
in one repo and others in other that form a release.

> > I have prepared an update to the configuration of Magma for 1.1r2 with
> > the preferences corrected but I would like to have all the packages in
> > WriteBarrier and in Magma (that I consider the releases repositories, or
> > at least, everything on Magma so that the configuration doesn't refer to
> > MagmaTester altogether). What do you think?
>
> OK, I've copied them to "Magma" too.  I will upload the SAR file to
> SqueakMap too, soonish.

Good, I will base the configuration packages version number on this sar.
It will be named 1.1r2 or will be 1.1r3 (due to the deletion of a test
in the package you mentioned before, maybe isn't big enough to deserve a
new release and it was a "hurry" release maybe can we consider this a
typo and consider the sar the official 1.1r2 release)

Thanks for the answers

>  - Chris

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Magma 1.1r2

Chris Muller-3
> Good, I will base the configuration packages version number on this sar.
> It will be named 1.1r2 or will be 1.1r3 (due to the deletion of a test
> in the package you mentioned before, maybe isn't big enough to deserve a
> new release and it was a "hurry" release maybe can we consider this a
> typo and consider the sar the official 1.1r2 release)

Yes, it was just the removal of one test, so please stay with 1.1r2.
I'm pretty certain it's not going to affect any of the millions of
folks who have downloaded Magma since yesterday...  :)

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Magma 1.1r2

Ramiro Diaz Trepat-2
This is great new,
Thanks Chris

2010/7/30 Chris Muller <[hidden email]>
> Good, I will base the configuration packages version number on this sar.
> It will be named 1.1r2 or will be 1.1r3 (due to the deletion of a test
> in the package you mentioned before, maybe isn't big enough to deserve a
> new release and it was a "hurry" release maybe can we consider this a
> typo and consider the sar the official 1.1r2 release)

Yes, it was just the removal of one test, so please stay with 1.1r2.
I'm pretty certain it's not going to affect any of the millions of
folks who have downloaded Magma since yesterday...  :)

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Magma 1.1r2

Miguel Cobá

> OK, I've copied them to "Magma" too.  I will upload the SAR file to
> SqueakMap too, soonish.

Two more package missing in Magma repo:

Ma exception handling-cmm.36.mcz
Ma object serialization tester-cmm.32.mcz

It is specified by the 1.1r2 mcm. In Magma repository there are:

Ma exception handling-cmm.33.mcz
Ma object serialization tester-cmm.30.mcz

Cheers
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Magma 1.1r2

Chris Muller-4
> Two more package missing in Magma repo:
>
> Ma exception handling-cmm.36.mcz
> Ma object serialization tester-cmm.32.mcz

Fixed.  Thanks.