[ANN] Magma 1.2

Chris Muller-3
Magma 1.2 is now finally released for Squeak 4.2, Pharo 1.1 and Pharo
1.2.  This new release offers improved performance thanks to
minimizing the problem associated with finalization, as well as
avoiding Squeak's slow become except once every 30 seconds.  See

     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6163

for release-notes details.

I just went through all of the wiki pages and fixed / updated several
of them, including new, clean, one-click installation scripts for for
Pharo:

    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657

Squeak users may install with one-click directly from the SqueakMap
Catalog user-interface.  I hope Pharo will consider bringing this back
into a future version;  SqueakMap already has several projects that
load from Metacello.

I also realized several of Magma's special capabilities have been
undocumented.  I've now documented them.

     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6164

This release is, exactly, one year since Magma 1.1, thank you for your
patience.  As before, support for Magma is described at:

    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5818

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.2

Miguel Cobá
Thanks Chris,

I will install it this night and update the ConfigurationOfMagma and
will set new #stable version both for Pharo 1.1.x and Pharo 1.2.x

Thank you very much for your effort to keep Magma working on Pharo.

We the Pharoers are very grateful.

Cheers

El mar, 19-04-2011 a las 17:08 -0500, Chris Muller escribió:

> Magma 1.2 is now finally released for Squeak 4.2, Pharo 1.1 and Pharo
> 1.2.  This new release offers improved performance thanks to
> minimizing the problem associated with finalization, as well as
> avoiding Squeak's slow become except once every 30 seconds.  See
>
>      http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6163
>
> for release-notes details.
>
> I just went through all of the wiki pages and fixed / updated several
> of them, including new, clean, one-click installation scripts for for
> Pharo:
>
>     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657
>
> Squeak users may install with one-click directly from the SqueakMap
> Catalog user-interface.  I hope Pharo will consider bringing this back
> into a future version;  SqueakMap already has several projects that
> load from Metacello.
>
> I also realized several of Magma's special capabilities have been
> undocumented.  I've now documented them.
>
>      http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6164
>
> This release is, exactly, one year since Magma 1.1, thank you for your
> patience.  As before, support for Magma is described at:
>
>     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5818

Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.2

Elliot Finley
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Magma 1.2 is now finally released for Squeak 4.2, Pharo 1.1 and Pharo
> 1.2.  This new release offers improved performance thanks to
> minimizing the problem associated with finalization, as well as
> avoiding Squeak's slow become except once every 30 seconds.  See

Much thanks for this and especially for the improved documentation.

Elliot

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.2

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks Chris for all your effort. I think Magma is a real needed product.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Elliot Finley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Magma 1.2 is now finally released for Squeak 4.2, Pharo 1.1 and Pharo
> 1.2.  This new release offers improved performance thanks to
> minimizing the problem associated with finalization, as well as
> avoiding Squeak's slow become except once every 30 seconds.  See

Much thanks for this and especially for the improved documentation.

Elliot

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.2

Chris Muller-4
> I noticed that at the bottom of the page http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657 the link with text "Pharo1.2-load-magma.st" is http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/2657/Pharo1.1.2-load-magma.st. Note the "Pharo1.1.2"... was that intentional?

It's because the wiki keeps every version of every file ever uploaded
to the page.  The name of the first version of the link was the actual
filename, "http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/2657/Pharo1.2-load-magma.st".

But I had to upload a new version of that file, and the algorithm the
wiki follows is to assume the original file was in teh format,
"filename.txt" and it then makes it, "filename.1.txt" and begins to
increment that version number in the middle for all new versions going
forward.

Whew!  So, that's the answer to your question.

> Using TestRunner from the World Menu, I ran the tests for "Ma special collections-Dictionarys-Auto-Tests" and got the following:
> 104 run, 99 passes, 1 expected failures, 2 failures, 2 errors, 0 unexpected passes

The failed tests are all related to using nil as a key in the
dictionary which, to my knowledge, is not supported by any Dictionary
in Squeak and nor does Magma depend on storing anything at a nil key
in any Dictionary.

> In a Workspace window, I evaluated "MaClientServerTestCase suite maDebug" and got the following:
>        Could not connect to port, waiting... 1314.
>        Could not connect to port, waiting... 1314.
>        Could not connect to port, waiting... 1314.
>
> Until I stopped it using "cmd-period" on my Mac Book Pro.

I do not have access to a Mac.  That test suite works on Linux.

Those messages _are_ normal when the test starts up, but you should
have seen a lot more messages after that.

The MaClientServerTestCase fullSuite takes a total of 16 seconds to
run.  You will have 3 additional images spawned.

> I assume this is not standard behavior, and I don't know how to proceed from here to get Magma working in Pharo. I'm still learning Smalltalk/Pharo/Seaside and would really like to use Magma with it but have yet not been able to do so, despite trying the different ways to get Magma loaded (including Miguel Coba's ConfigurationOfMagma).
> Can you give me any suggestions?

Use the official installation scripts provided on the wiki page.

 - Chris

> - Marco A.
>
> On Apr 19, 2011, at 6:08 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>> Magma 1.2 is now finally released for Squeak 4.2, Pharo 1.1 and Pharo
>> 1.2.  This new release offers improved performance thanks to
>> minimizing the problem associated with finalization, as well as
>> avoiding Squeak's slow become except once every 30 seconds.  See
>>
>>     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6163
>>
>> for release-notes details.
>>
>> I just went through all of the wiki pages and fixed / updated several
>> of them, including new, clean, one-click installation scripts for for
>> Pharo:
>>
>>    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657
>>
>> Squeak users may install with one-click directly from the SqueakMap
>> Catalog user-interface.  I hope Pharo will consider bringing this back
>> into a future version;  SqueakMap already has several projects that
>> load from Metacello.
>>
>> I also realized several of Magma's special capabilities have been
>> undocumented.  I've now documented them.
>>
>>     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6164
>>
>> This release is, exactly, one year since Magma 1.1, thank you for your
>> patience.  As before, support for Magma is described at:
>>
>>    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5818

> Marco A. Gonzalez, President
> Amagavi, Inc.
> Developer of database-driven web sites
>
> web: http://www.amagavi.com/
> email on iPhone: [hidden email]
> cell: 202-222-5137

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.2

Miguel Cobá
>  despite trying the different ways to get Magma loaded (including Miguel Coba's ConfigurationOfMagma).
> > Can you give me any suggestions?

Marco, I can't see the date of the original message you sent to Chris
but thanks to Chris Magma 1.2 runs now on Pharo 1.1 and Pharo 1.2 (I
only test on PharoCore images but aside from the problem with the
workspace that show up yesterday and that is a problem with OCompletion
and not with Magma, it shouldn't have any problem in Pharo Deve images).

So, if you tested with the test with the new version of
ConfigurationOfMagma announced on april 27, 2011 it should work
correctly on Pharo. If you have any problem with the installation please
post the details here so we can work them out.

> Use the official installation scripts provided on the wiki page.

Yes, use the official scripts if you're using Squeak. Also Chris has
made a big effort to bring from the dead SqueakMap that appears that is
the way to install things in Squeak again. But SqueakMap isn't anymore
in Pharo and won't be any time soon if ever.

But for Pharo we are pushing Metacello and you're expected to use the
ConfigurationOfMagma for installing on Pharo. As I said before if you
found a problem with the configuration please report it and I will take
care of this (if it is a problem of the configuration and if it is a
problem with Magma I will pass it to Chris, because most times they are
outside my knowledge and expertise).
I have a great interest in having Magma working in Pharo, the Pharo way
(that is with metacello) and I try to not bother Chris with problems in
the metacello config by trying to be alert for posts in the mailing list
related to the configuration so that he can focus on Magma per se. When
a new release is made I examine their scripts and translate them to a
new ConfigurationOfMagma release. This, I think, is the best arrange to
keep things going on in Magma and Pharo.

Cheers

El lun, 02-05-2011 a las 13:01 -0400, Marco A. Gonzalez escribió:
> Miguel,
>
> I read your posting of http://forum.world.st/ConfigurationOfMagma-with-support-for-Magma-1-2-and-symbolic-versions-td3478702.html and tried your instructions but using the Pharo 1.2.1 One-Click installer. You had already answered a previous posting of mine indicating the following:
> "The problem here is that the class SHParserST80 isn't anymore in the image and is used by OContext of the package OCompetion. You can open a ticket with this problem in the issue tracker in order to not forget it."
> However, I'm still a newbie in that I don't feel like I know enough to be able to write a useful ticket. I think anyone would see the problem they tried to use the current Pharo 1.2.1 One-Click installer and tried to install Magma 1.2.

I already opened the ticket.

> The short story is that I'd like to be able to install Magma in a Pharo One-Click installer, and I currently can't seem to be able to do that either with Metacello or filing in using the ".st" script that Chris provided. I was drawn to Pharo for its clean, smooth interface and architecture which includes Metacello. Do you know of a way to install Magma 1.2 with a Pharo one-click installer? If so, would provide the steps to do that like you did your "ConfigurationOfMagma-with-support-for-Magma-1-2-and-symbolic-versions" posting?

I can't promise anything, but I will give it a try more deeply this
night. Now, if you are only trying to test Magma on Pharo, use a pharo
core image and install it there. Isn't hard.

1. Download image, changes and sources files (PharoCore-1.2.1.zip):

http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable-core

Unzip the file and you get:

PharoCore-1.2.1-12345.changes
PharoCore-1.2.1-12345.image
PharoV10.sources

2. Get a vm for your OS (don't know which do you use) suppose is
windows. The download from the Virtual Machines section on
http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download page for Windows (4.1.1) is:

http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28468/PharoVM-Win32-4.1.1-bin.zip

unzip it to the same folder where you have the .image, .changes
and .sources files. You get the following files:

Pharo.exe
SqueakFFIPrims.dll
FT2Plugin.dll
splash.bmp

then open a MS-DOS window (or CMD) and change dir to the folder where
you have all the files and execute:

Pharo.exe PharoCore-1.2.1-12345.image

The Pharo image should run. From there you can follow the instruction
from the ConfigurationOfMagma announcement.

You can also try the Windows installer from Torsten (in the same Pharo
download page) if that is easier.

Cheers

2. Download

El lun, 02-05-2011 a las 15:05 -0400, Marco A. Gonzalez escribió:
> Miguel,
>
> I've been able to figure out how to use the Pharo One-click installer on my MacBookPro running OS X 10.6, and deploy it on eapps.com, a Linux VPS hosting company, in my account running CentOS Linux. I don't know what I would need to do with the "individual" downloads to make Pharo work both on my development machine (Macintosh) and the production environment (CentOS linux).

Umm, better yet, no windows, that is a win for sure.
This is old and maybe doesn't work anymore but you can give it a try, as
a one click isn't really suited for deployment:

http://miguel.leugim.com.mx/index.php/2009/09/22/deploying-seaside-install-the-squeak-vm/

Cheers