[ANN] Magma 1.5

Chris Muller-4
I am pleased to announce version 1.5 of Magma for Squeak 5, now
available on SqueakMap.  Magma allows multiple Squeak images to
collaborate on a single, large object model, with the robustness and
control expected from a database.  It offers the most transparent db
access possible for Smalltalk, affording the user the ability to
develop complex, performant designs, iteratively, on-the-fly.

It has been designed for "continuous flow" development, the way
Smalltalkers like and expect to work.  For example, I could have
connections open to 3 separate databases, open transactions in any of
them, and having restructured a class hierarchy in the model, and
stepping through the debugger when that "final boarding call" for my
flight is announced.

Thanks to the image, this scenario has never been a problem for
Smalltalkers and Magma is deliberate to ensure this flow is
maintained.  Once at 10K feet, I can resume stepping through that same
debugger within 5 seconds of restarting the image, DB connections
intact, commit my transactions when I'm ready, done.  Magma handles
every aspect of that use-case correctly even in multi-user
environments, and has so many safety and integrity features, it is the
safest way to develop and keep a model in Squeak.

This release coincides with the release of Squeak 5, and has many
improvements and fixes over Magma 1.4.  Detailed notes about these
improvements are available at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6209.

 - Chris

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.5

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Chris Muller-4 wrote
I am pleased to announce version 1.5 of Magma
Cool, congrats!

A few questions:
- How does Magma compare to e.g. GemStone?
- Does it run on any other Smalltalks ( like possibly one in our family tree that starts with a $P ;) )?
- Do you have to use a DB backend? Is that process totally manual (e.g. DB selection, creation, mapping, whatever)?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.5

David T. Lewis
Cool - congratulations Chris!

Dave

> I am pleased to announce version 1.5 of Magma for Squeak 5, now
> available on SqueakMap.  Magma allows multiple Squeak images to
> collaborate on a single, large object model, with the robustness and
> control expected from a database.  It offers the most transparent db
> access possible for Smalltalk, affording the user the ability to
> develop complex, performant designs, iteratively, on-the-fly.
>
> It has been designed for "continuous flow" development, the way
> Smalltalkers like and expect to work.  For example, I could have
> connections open to 3 separate databases, open transactions in any of
> them, and having restructured a class hierarchy in the model, and
> stepping through the debugger when that "final boarding call" for my
> flight is announced.
>
> Thanks to the image, this scenario has never been a problem for
> Smalltalkers and Magma is deliberate to ensure this flow is
> maintained.  Once at 10K feet, I can resume stepping through that same
> debugger within 5 seconds of restarting the image, DB connections
> intact, commit my transactions when I'm ready, done.  Magma handles
> every aspect of that use-case correctly even in multi-user
> environments, and has so many safety and integrity features, it is the
> safest way to develop and keep a model in Squeak.
>
> This release coincides with the release of Squeak 5, and has many
> improvements and fixes over Magma 1.4.  Detailed notes about these
> improvements are available at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6209.
>
>  - Chris

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.5

Kjell Godo
what is a deformant design?

is this mainly for single separate users?

can this scale on a server side?

it can be used on the client side

On Thursday, August 13, 2015, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool - congratulations Chris!

Dave

> I am pleased to announce version 1.5 of Magma for Squeak 5, now
> available on SqueakMap.  Magma allows multiple Squeak images to
> collaborate on a single, large object model, with the robustness and
> control expected from a database.  It offers the most transparent db
> access possible for Smalltalk, affording the user the ability to
> develop complex, performant designs, iteratively, on-the-fly.
>
> It has been designed for "continuous flow" development, the way
> Smalltalkers like and expect to work.  For example, I could have
> connections open to 3 separate databases, open transactions in any of
> them, and having restructured a class hierarchy in the model, and
> stepping through the debugger when that "final boarding call" for my
> flight is announced.
>
> Thanks to the image, this scenario has never been a problem for
> Smalltalkers and Magma is deliberate to ensure this flow is
> maintained.  Once at 10K feet, I can resume stepping through that same
> debugger within 5 seconds of restarting the image, DB connections
> intact, commit my transactions when I'm ready, done.  Magma handles
> every aspect of that use-case correctly even in multi-user
> environments, and has so many safety and integrity features, it is the
> safest way to develop and keep a model in Squeak.
>
> This release coincides with the release of Squeak 5, and has many
> improvements and fixes over Magma 1.4.  Detailed notes about these
> improvements are available at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6209.
>
>  - Chris

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.5

Kjell Godo
what about Pharo?

On Thursday, August 13, 2015, David T. Lewis <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;lewis@mail.msen.com&#39;);" target="_blank">lewis@...> wrote:
Cool - congratulations Chris!

Dave

> I am pleased to announce version 1.5 of Magma for Squeak 5, now
> available on SqueakMap.  Magma allows multiple Squeak images to
> collaborate on a single, large object model, with the robustness and
> control expected from a database.  It offers the most transparent db
> access possible for Smalltalk, affording the user the ability to
> develop complex, performant designs, iteratively, on-the-fly.
>
> It has been designed for "continuous flow" development, the way
> Smalltalkers like and expect to work.  For example, I could have
> connections open to 3 separate databases, open transactions in any of
> them, and having restructured a class hierarchy in the model, and
> stepping through the debugger when that "final boarding call" for my
> flight is announced.
>
> Thanks to the image, this scenario has never been a problem for
> Smalltalkers and Magma is deliberate to ensure this flow is
> maintained.  Once at 10K feet, I can resume stepping through that same
> debugger within 5 seconds of restarting the image, DB connections
> intact, commit my transactions when I'm ready, done.  Magma handles
> every aspect of that use-case correctly even in multi-user
> environments, and has so many safety and integrity features, it is the
> safest way to develop and keep a model in Squeak.
>
> This release coincides with the release of Squeak 5, and has many
> improvements and fixes over Magma 1.4.  Detailed notes about these
> improvements are available at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6209.
>
>  - Chris

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.5

Kjell Godo
Can moose and magma coexist in a Pharo image?

On Thursday, August 13, 2015, Kjell Godo <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;squeaklist@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">squeaklist@...> wrote:
what is a deformant design?

is this mainly for single separate users?

can this scale on a server side?

it can be used on the client side

On Thursday, August 13, 2015, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool - congratulations Chris!

Dave

> I am pleased to announce version 1.5 of Magma for Squeak 5, now
> available on SqueakMap.  Magma allows multiple Squeak images to
> collaborate on a single, large object model, with the robustness and
> control expected from a database.  It offers the most transparent db
> access possible for Smalltalk, affording the user the ability to
> develop complex, performant designs, iteratively, on-the-fly.
>
> It has been designed for "continuous flow" development, the way
> Smalltalkers like and expect to work.  For example, I could have
> connections open to 3 separate databases, open transactions in any of
> them, and having restructured a class hierarchy in the model, and
> stepping through the debugger when that "final boarding call" for my
> flight is announced.
>
> Thanks to the image, this scenario has never been a problem for
> Smalltalkers and Magma is deliberate to ensure this flow is
> maintained.  Once at 10K feet, I can resume stepping through that same
> debugger within 5 seconds of restarting the image, DB connections
> intact, commit my transactions when I'm ready, done.  Magma handles
> every aspect of that use-case correctly even in multi-user
> environments, and has so many safety and integrity features, it is the
> safest way to develop and keep a model in Squeak.
>
> This release coincides with the release of Squeak 5, and has many
> improvements and fixes over Magma 1.4.  Detailed notes about these
> improvements are available at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6209.
>
>  - Chris

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.5

Denis Kudriashov
Hi

A few questions:
- How does Magma compare to e.g. GemStone?
- Does it run on any other Smalltalks ( like possibly one in our family tree

Magma is static external object storage. But gemstone is "usual" live smalltalk image which allow transactions and multiusers access.
Maybe Chris can explain that it is not much difference in practice.