[ANN] MagmaBrowser

hernanmd
Dear all,
 I did a new Browser for the Magma object-oriented database,
implemented on top of the OmniBrowser framework. I've uploaded a demo
video in YouTube for the impatient :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk

The project Home Page is : http://swikicaicyt.homeip.net/WebOpus/56
(you may access to other projects using
http://www.caicyt.gov.ar/letodoc/paquetes-publicados) you will find
there pre-built images ready for download for both Pharo and Squeak,
besides installation instructions for installing and testing the
MagmaBrowser in your image. Currently the status is under testing and
bug-fixing, and I know there is a lot of things I should include, but
you may take a look anyway as I browsed local repositories without
problems last times I've used it, so I hope you may find it useful
too.

Finally, I want to publicly thank to Norberto Manzanos for letting me
doing this, Chris Muller for his nice reviews and the OmniBrowser
developers for mantaining such a great framework.

Hernán

Re: [ANN] MagmaBrowser

Mariano Martinez Peck
This is an excellent job. Congratulations Hernán.

I have a question....how could you draw the photo instead of the array of bytes on the browser?  I really hate when developing with seaside and I have some pictures in my filelibrary class and when I browse them I see the array of bits...but I want to see the picture!!!

Thanks

Mariano

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stéphane Ducasse
I would like the same for UML document in packages :)

Stef

On Dec 16, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> This is an excellent job. Congratulations Hernán.
>
> I have a question....how could you draw the photo instead of the array of bytes on the browser?  I really hate when developing with seaside and I have some pictures in my filelibrary class and when I browse them I see the array of bits...but I want to see the picture!!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>  I did a new Browser for the Magma object-oriented database,
> implemented on top of the OmniBrowser framework. I've uploaded a demo
> video in YouTube for the impatient :
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk
>
> The project Home Page is : http://swikicaicyt.homeip.net/WebOpus/56
> (you may access to other projects using
> http://www.caicyt.gov.ar/letodoc/paquetes-publicados) you will find
> there pre-built images ready for download for both Pharo and Squeak,
> besides installation instructions for installing and testing the
> MagmaBrowser in your image. Currently the status is under testing and
> bug-fixing, and I know there is a lot of things I should include, but
> you may take a look anyway as I browsed local repositories without
> problems last times I've used it, so I hope you may find it useful
> too.
>
> Finally, I want to publicly thank to Norberto Manzanos for letting me
> doing this, Chris Muller for his nice reviews and the OmniBrowser
> developers for mantaining such a great framework.
>
> Hernán

Re: [ANN] MagmaBrowser

hernanmd
Hi Mariano,

2009/12/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> This is an excellent job. Congratulations Hernán.
>
> I have a question....how could you draw the photo instead of the array of
> bytes on the browser?  I really hate when developing with seaside and I have
> some pictures in my filelibrary class and when I browse them I see the array
> of bits...but I want to see the picture!!!

That was a tricky one, see the implementors of #mbViewContainer and
#mbView. You will catch the pattern (container -> view -> real object)
if you step from OBMObjectDefinitionPanel>>updateModel:

Cheers,

Hernán

> Thanks
>
> Mariano
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Hernán Morales Durand
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>  I did a new Browser for the Magma object-oriented database,
>> implemented on top of the OmniBrowser framework. I've uploaded a demo
>> video in YouTube for the impatient :
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk
>>
>> The project Home Page is : http://swikicaicyt.homeip.net/WebOpus/56
>> (you may access to other projects using
>> http://www.caicyt.gov.ar/letodoc/paquetes-publicados) you will find
>> there pre-built images ready for download for both Pharo and Squeak,
>> besides installation instructions for installing and testing the
>> MagmaBrowser in your image. Currently the status is under testing and
>> bug-fixing, and I know there is a lot of things I should include, but
>> you may take a look anyway as I browsed local repositories without
>> problems last times I've used it, so I hope you may find it useful
>> too.
>>
>> Finally, I want to publicly thank to Norberto Manzanos for letting me
>> doing this, Chris Muller for his nice reviews and the OmniBrowser
>> developers for mantaining such a great framework.
>>
>> Hernán

Re: [ANN] MagmaBrowser

csrabak
+1

Em 16/12/2009 08:31, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

I would like the same for UML document in packages :)

Stef

On Dec 16, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> This is an excellent job. Congratulations Hernán.
>
> I have a question....how could you draw the photo instead of the array of bytes on the browser?  I really hate when developing with seaside and I have some pictures in my filelibrary class and when I browse them I see the array of bits...but I want to see the picture!!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Hernán Morales Durand  wrote:
> Dear all,
>  I did a new Browser for the Magma object-oriented database,
> implemented on top of the OmniBrowser framework. I've uploaded a demo
> video in YouTube for the impatient :
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk
>
> The project Home Page is : http://swikicaicyt.homeip.net/WebOpus/56
> (you may access to other projects using
> http://www.caicyt.gov.ar/letodoc/paquetes-publicados) you will find
> there pre-built images ready for download for both Pharo and Squeak,
> besides installation instructions for installing and testing the
> MagmaBrowser in your image. Currently the status is under testing and
> bug-fixing, and I know there is a lot of things I should include, but
> you may take a look anyway as I browsed local repositories without
> problems last times I've used it, so I hope you may find it useful
> too.
>
> Finally, I want to publicly thank to Norberto Manzanos for letting me
> doing this, Chris Muller for his nice reviews and the OmniBrowser
> developers for mantaining such a great framework.
>
> Hernán

Re: [ANN] MagmaBrowser

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

2009/12/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> This is an excellent job. Congratulations Hernán.
>
> I have a question....how could you draw the photo instead of the array of
> bytes on the browser?  I really hate when developing with seaside and I have
> some pictures in my filelibrary class and when I browse them I see the array
> of bits...but I want to see the picture!!!

That was a tricky one, see the implementors of #mbViewContainer and
#mbView. You will catch the pattern (container -> view -> real object)
if you step from OBMObjectDefinitionPanel>>updateModel:

Ok...would be nice to do something similar for Pharo. I would really love to see the pictures instead of the array.

Cheers,

Hernán

> Thanks
>
> Mariano
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Hernán Morales Durand
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>  I did a new Browser for the Magma object-oriented database,
>> implemented on top of the OmniBrowser framework. I've uploaded a demo
>> video in YouTube for the impatient :
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk
>>
>> The project Home Page is : http://swikicaicyt.homeip.net/WebOpus/56
>> (you may access to other projects using
>> http://www.caicyt.gov.ar/letodoc/paquetes-publicados) you will find
>> there pre-built images ready for download for both Pharo and Squeak,
>> besides installation instructions for installing and testing the
>> MagmaBrowser in your image. Currently the status is under testing and
>> bug-fixing, and I know there is a lot of things I should include, but
>> you may take a look anyway as I browsed local repositories without
>> problems last times I've used it, so I hope you may find it useful
>> too.
>>
>> Finally, I want to publicly thank to Norberto Manzanos for letting me
>> doing this, Chris Muller for his nice reviews and the OmniBrowser
>> developers for mantaining such a great framework.
>>
>> Hernán

Re: [ANN] MagmaBrowser

hernanmd
Hi Stéphane and Mariano,
  If someone post how to instantiate the UML object (a script or file
out) I can modify or write a new browser for that.
Cheers,

Hernán

2009/12/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> I would like the same for UML document in packages :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Dec 16, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> This is an excellent job. Congratulations Hernán.
>>
>> I have a question....how could you draw the photo instead of the array of bytes on the browser?  I really hate when developing with seaside and I have some pictures in my filelibrary class and when I browse them I see the array of bits...but I want to see the picture!!!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mariano
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>  I did a new Browser for the Magma object-oriented database,
>> implemented on top of the OmniBrowser framework. I've uploaded a demo
>> video in YouTube for the impatient :
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk
>>
>> The project Home Page is : http://swikicaicyt.homeip.net/WebOpus/56
>> (you may access to other projects using
>> http://www.caicyt.gov.ar/letodoc/paquetes-publicados) you will find
>> there pre-built images ready for download for both Pharo and Squeak,
>> besides installation instructions for installing and testing the
>> MagmaBrowser in your image. Currently the status is under testing and
>> bug-fixing, and I know there is a lot of things I should include, but
>> you may take a look anyway as I browsed local repositories without
>> problems last times I've used it, so I hope you may find it useful
>> too.
>>
>> Finally, I want to publicly thank to Norberto Manzanos for letting me
>> doing this, Chris Muller for his nice reviews and the OmniBrowser
>> developers for mantaining such a great framework.
>>
>> Hernán

Re: [ANN] MagmaBrowser

Stéphane Ducasse
if you look at DrDoc (not finished) on squeaksource.
a package has a class containing metadata and this class have a picture embedded as class methods.
The idea is to show the picture when you click on the classMetaData.

Stef

On Dec 17, 2009, at 12:15 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Hi Stéphane and Mariano,
>  If someone post how to instantiate the UML object (a script or file
> out) I can modify or write a new browser for that.
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
>
> 2009/12/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> I would like the same for UML document in packages :)
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Dec 16, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>>> This is an excellent job. Congratulations Hernán.
>>>
>>> I have a question....how could you draw the photo instead of the array of bytes on the browser?  I really hate when developing with seaside and I have some pictures in my filelibrary class and when I browse them I see the array of bits...but I want to see the picture!!!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Mariano
>>>
>>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>  I did a new Browser for the Magma object-oriented database,
>>> implemented on top of the OmniBrowser framework. I've uploaded a demo
>>> video in YouTube for the impatient :
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk
>>>
>>> The project Home Page is : http://swikicaicyt.homeip.net/WebOpus/56
>>> (you may access to other projects using
>>> http://www.caicyt.gov.ar/letodoc/paquetes-publicados) you will find
>>> there pre-built images ready for download for both Pharo and Squeak,
>>> besides installation instructions for installing and testing the
>>> MagmaBrowser in your image. Currently the status is under testing and
>>> bug-fixing, and I know there is a lot of things I should include, but
>>> you may take a look anyway as I browsed local repositories without
>>> problems last times I've used it, so I hope you may find it useful
>>> too.
>>>
>>> Finally, I want to publicly thank to Norberto Manzanos for letting me
>>> doing this, Chris Muller for his nice reviews and the OmniBrowser
>>> developers for mantaining such a great framework.
>>>
>>> Hernán

Re: [ANN] MagmaBrowser

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 16.12.2009 11:29, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> This is an excellent job. Congratulations Hernán.
>
> I have a question....how could you draw the photo instead of the array
> of bytes on the browser?  I really hate when developing with seaside
> and I have some pictures in my filelibrary class and when I browse
> them I see the array of bits...but I want to see the picture!!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano
For a proof of concept of what is possible using the NewInspector,
install this method:
Form>>asNINode
     ^ (super asNINode)
         addAction:
                 (NIAction labeled: 'Preview'
                         shortcut: $p
                         target:
                             [ :aForm |
                             aForm depth < 32 ifTrue: [ Display
getCanvas image: aForm at: 10 @ 10 ]
                                 ifFalse: [ Display getCanvas
translucentImage: aForm at: 10 @ 10 ] ]
                         actionSelector: #value:
                         withArgs: {self}
                         category: 'Preview');
         yourself

  then inspect a form (Say, ThemeIcons infoIcons ), right-click the Form
node, and select preview.

Ideally it'd be nice to add an extra "Preview" item to the subnodes of
Forms in the NI, which when clicked would show the form on the right
side, but I don't (easily) see how you can temporarily replace the
TextMorph on the right side with something capable of displaying Forms

With some more work on the closure it should be possible to open the
preview in a separate window though :)

Cheers,
Henry

Re: [ANN] MagmaBrowser

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 16.12.2009 11:29, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> This is an excellent job. Congratulations Hernán.
>
> I have a question....how could you draw the photo instead of the array
> of bytes on the browser?  I really hate when developing with seaside
> and I have some pictures in my filelibrary class and when I browse
> them I see the array of bits...but I want to see the picture!!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano
For a proof of concept of what is possible using the NewInspector,
install this method:
Form>>asNINode
    ^ (super asNINode)
        addAction:
                (NIAction labeled: 'Preview'
                        shortcut: $p
                        target:
                            [ :aForm |
                            aForm depth < 32 ifTrue: [ Display
getCanvas image: aForm at: 10 @ 10 ]
                                ifFalse: [ Display getCanvas
translucentImage: aForm at: 10 @ 10 ] ]
                        actionSelector: #value:
                        withArgs: {self}
                        category: 'Preview');
        yourself

 then inspect a form (Say, ThemeIcons infoIcons ), right-click the Form
node, and select preview.

Excellent!  I have just tested, is really cool! Thank you very much! I wish I have this some time before hahahhaha (when I was developing a seaside webappp with images in filelibrary). I will keep this ch :)

Ideally it'd be nice to add an extra "Preview" item to the subnodes of
Forms in the NI, which when clicked would show the form on the right
side, but I don't (easily) see how you can temporarily replace the
TextMorph on the right side with something capable of displaying Forms

With some more work on the closure it should be possible to open the
preview in a separate window though :)

would be awesome

Cheers,
Henry