[ANN] Mapless a small framework for storing objects in a key->data fashion with no friction

[ANN] Mapless a small framework for storing objects in a key->data fashion with no friction

sebastianconcept@gmail.co

Mapless

Mapless is a small framework for storing objects in a key->data fashion (i.e.: noSQL databases) without requiring any kind of object-data map. So far only MongoDB is supported. It can use Redis for reactivity (pub/sub) and cache.

Motivation

I wanted to persist objects with extremely low friction and extremely low maintenanceand great scaling and availability capabilities so Mapless is totally biased towards that. This framework is what I came up with after incorporating my experience withAggregate.

There is no spoon…

There is no object-relational impedance…

There is no instVars…

only persistence :D

Code and instructions here:

All MIT, enjoy

Re: [ANN] Mapless a small framework for storing objects in a key->data fashion with no friction

philippeback

I worked with Sebastian on using Mapless for my application.

Just one word: Wow. This has potential!!!!

Phil

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:46 AM, François Stephany <[hidden email]> wrote:
Phil, can you describe your use case ?!

Network of objects persistence.

[...]

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
But how does a key/value store magically store a network of objects ?
How is each object serialised ?

On 17 Apr 2014, at 08:57, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:46 AM, François Stephany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Phil, can you describe your use case ?!
>

> Network of objects persistence.
>

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:20 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I worked with Sebastian on using Mapless for my application.
>
> Just one word: Wow. This has potential!!!!
>
> Phil
>
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mapless
> Mapless is a small framework for storing objects in a key->data fashion (i.e.: noSQL databases) without requiring any kind of object-data map. So far only MongoDB is supported. It can use Redis for reactivity (pub/sub) and cache.
>
> Motivation
>
> I wanted to persist objects with extremely low friction and extremely low maintenanceand great scaling and availability capabilities so Mapless is totally biased towards that. This framework is what I came up with after incorporating my experience withAggregate.
>
> There is no spoon…
>
> There is no object-relational impedance…
>
> There is no instVars…
>
> only persistence :D
>
> Code and instructions here:
>
> https://github.com/sebastianconcept/Mapless
>
> All MIT, enjoy
>
> sebastian
>
> o/

Re: [ANN] Mapless a small framework for storing objects in a key->data fashion with no friction

philippeback
Not magically.

I have my own guide/visitor thing to do the save.
But as I do have a "complicated" domain, the fact that I do not have to maintain all attributes in the image but directly through mapless helps me save a ton of time.

Phil

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
But how does a key/value store magically store a network of objects ?
How is each object serialised ?

On 17 Apr 2014, at 08:57, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:46 AM, François Stephany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Phil, can you describe your use case ?!
>

> Network of objects persistence.
>

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:20 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I worked with Sebastian on using Mapless for my application.
>
> Just one word: Wow. This has potential!!!!
>
> Phil
>
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mapless
> Mapless is a small framework for storing objects in a key->data fashion (i.e.: noSQL databases) without requiring any kind of object-data map. So far only MongoDB is supported. It can use Redis for reactivity (pub/sub) and cache.
>
> Motivation
>
> I wanted to persist objects with extremely low friction and extremely low maintenanceand great scaling and availability capabilities so Mapless is totally biased towards that. This framework is what I came up with after incorporating my experience withAggregate.
>
> There is no spoon…
>
> There is no object-relational impedance…
>
> There is no instVars…
>
> only persistence :D
>
> Code and instructions here:
>
> https://github.com/sebastianconcept/Mapless
>
> All MIT, enjoy
>
> sebastian
>
> o/

Re: [ANN] Mapless a small framework for storing objects in a key->data fashion with no friction

NorbertHartl

Am 17.04.2014 um 10:08 schrieb [hidden email]:

Not magically.

I have my own guide/visitor thing to do the save.
But as I do have a "complicated" domain, the fact that I do not have to maintain all attributes in the image but directly through mapless helps me save a ton of time.

Can you elaborate on the point „not to have to maintain all attributes in the image“? I don’t get what it means. And if you know voyage can share with us what are the differences?

thanks,

Norbert

Phil

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
But how does a key/value store magically store a network of objects ?
How is each object serialised ?

On 17 Apr 2014, at 08:57, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:46 AM, François Stephany <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Phil, can you describe your use case ?!
>

> Network of objects persistence.
>

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:20 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I worked with Sebastian on using Mapless for my application.
>
> Just one word: Wow. This has potential!!!!
>
> Phil
>
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mapless
> Mapless is a small framework for storing objects in a key->data fashion (i.e.: noSQL databases) without requiring any kind of object-data map. So far only MongoDB is supported. It can use Redis for reactivity (pub/sub) and cache.
>
> Motivation
>
> I wanted to persist objects with extremely low friction and extremely low maintenanceand great scaling and availability capabilities so Mapless is totally biased towards that. This framework is what I came up with after incorporating my experience withAggregate.
>
> There is no spoon…
>
> There is no object-relational impedance…
>
> There is no instVars…
>
> only persistence :D
>
> Code and instructions here:
>
> https://github.com/sebastianconcept/Mapless
>
> All MIT, enjoy
>
> sebastian
>
> o/

Re: [ANN] Mapless a small framework for storing objects in a key->data fashion with no friction

philippeback
What is the URL of the cool mapless site?

---
Philippe Back
Visible Performance Improvements
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

[...]

Wow, excellent site, very well done !

It is like we are having a competition in quality of presentation, marketing and documentation, cool. Things like this are really pushing the status quo forward.

On May 3, 2014, at 4:42 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wow, excellent site, very well done !

It is like we are having a competition in quality of presentation, marketing and documentation, cool. Things like this are really pushing the status quo forward.

Thanks Sven!

I’ve updated it today adding a FAQ section:

Frequently Asked Questions

What saving 'Models' means? why not any object? By Models Mapless means that you are not pretending to save transient stuff like contexts or sockets or filehandlers, etc. Any instance of a MongoMapless subclass will save in a breeze. Those instances are going to be serialized and stored as documents of its correspondant MongoDB collection.

Is only for tree-like structures or does actually support an object graph? Given that you follow its rules,like saving children first and thinking your models as noSQL friendly documents, yes, it does support an arbitrary object graph.

Why would I want to use Mapless? Because you might want to profit from some of these benefits:

  1. JSON friendly models
  2. Having 1:1 interoperability of your models with Ruby and NodeJS and any JSON friendly object oriented app
  3. Dealing with Gigas or Teras order of magnitude databases
  4. High availability
  5. Easy replication of the whole database across the cloud
  6. Databases many people is familiar to use and maintain
  7. Powerful queries and custom indices
  8. Freedom from a prioristic instVars declarations
  9. Freedom from mappings maintenance when the design changes
  10. Trans-image model caching (requires Redis)
  11. Trans-image model observation/reaction, horizontally scalling the Observer Pattern (requires Redis)
  12. Friendly to mobile noSQL database use and sync (requires CouchDB)
All that with very low-friction and low-maintenance using one simple API