[ANN] Maui 1.2 release 1

Chris Muller-3
In conjunction with the release of Squeak 4.1, I have made a new
release of Maui that works with 4.1 and will be supported on that
platform going forward.

Maui is a user-interface builder for Squeak with a goal of _quickly_
producing effective drag-and-drop user-interfaces without having to
write any code (although interfaces are also easily created via code).
 When used in conjunction with MaSarPackage (to announced shortly),
applications can be easily deployed to SqueakMap that include the
designers Maui-based user-interface.

Maui is the framework I use exclusively for internal UI's at my
company.  Obviously I like it because I designed it to conform to my
principles of an effective UI.  However, a naked-objects type of
user-interface will not be suitable for many situations or tastes.  My
teammates seem to be liking it, although they are polite.
Nonetheless, it can be quite useful to have in the image for "quick
and dirty" but useful image tools that just aren't easy to do any
other way..

To use, in a standard Squeak 4.1 image, open SqueakMap, find Maui,
install "1.2r1".

To build a UI immediately, try dragging "Association" out of the
browser onto the desktop.  That's the Association class on the
desktop, so drag the *class-side* constructor, #key:value: onto it...
Your first Maui UI.

I would have liked, of course, to release this with a bunch of
"content" to entertain you.  But given my large agenda, short
resources, and the relatively low response to 1.1, I would like to try
to get more mileage out of the original pdf document available on the
swiki, into which I did put quite a bit of work into explaining Maui.
Comments or questions about this 1.2 are very welcome.

 - Chris

Re: [ANN] Maui 1.2 release 1

Hannes Hirzel
Chris,
thank you for taking your time to update Maui so quickly for 4.1.
I wanted to load it into my Squeak 4.1 working image.
I ran into an obstacle.
How do I open SqueakMap in 4.1? The class is not there.

BTW what does Maui stand for?

Hannes

On 4/21/10, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In conjunction with the release of Squeak 4.1, I have made a new
> release of Maui that works with 4.1 and will be supported on that
> platform going forward.
>
> Maui is a user-interface builder for Squeak with a goal of _quickly_
> producing effective drag-and-drop user-interfaces without having to
> write any code (although interfaces are also easily created via code).
>  When used in conjunction with MaSarPackage (to announced shortly),
> applications can be easily deployed to SqueakMap that include the
> designers Maui-based user-interface.
>
> Maui is the framework I use exclusively for internal UI's at my
> company.  Obviously I like it because I designed it to conform to my
> principles of an effective UI.  However, a naked-objects type of
> user-interface will not be suitable for many situations or tastes.  My
> teammates seem to be liking it, although they are polite.
> Nonetheless, it can be quite useful to have in the image for "quick
> and dirty" but useful image tools that just aren't easy to do any
> other way..
>
> To use, in a standard Squeak 4.1 image, open SqueakMap, find Maui,
> install "1.2r1".
>
> To build a UI immediately, try dragging "Association" out of the
> browser onto the desktop.  That's the Association class on the
> desktop, so drag the *class-side* constructor, #key:value: onto it...
> Your first Maui UI.
>
> I would have liked, of course, to release this with a bunch of
> "content" to entertain you.  But given my large agenda, short
> resources, and the relatively low response to 1.1, I would like to try
> to get more mileage out of the original pdf document available on the
> swiki, into which I did put quite a bit of work into explaining Maui.
> Comments or questions about this 1.2 are very welcome.
>
>  - Chris

Re: [ANN] Maui 1.2 release 1

Chris Muller-3
It's available from the "open..." selection of the World Menu.
"SqueakMap Package Loader"

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris,
> thank you for taking your time to update Maui so quickly for 4.1.
> I wanted to load it into my Squeak 4.1 working image.
> I ran into an obstacle.
> How do I open SqueakMap in 4.1? The class is not there.
>
> BTW what does Maui stand for?
>
> Hannes
>
> On 4/21/10, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In conjunction with the release of Squeak 4.1, I have made a new
>> release of Maui that works with 4.1 and will be supported on that
>> platform going forward.
>>
>> Maui is a user-interface builder for Squeak with a goal of _quickly_
>> producing effective drag-and-drop user-interfaces without having to
>> write any code (although interfaces are also easily created via code).
>>  When used in conjunction with MaSarPackage (to announced shortly),
>> applications can be easily deployed to SqueakMap that include the
>> designers Maui-based user-interface.
>>
>> Maui is the framework I use exclusively for internal UI's at my
>> company.  Obviously I like it because I designed it to conform to my
>> principles of an effective UI.  However, a naked-objects type of
>> user-interface will not be suitable for many situations or tastes.  My
>> teammates seem to be liking it, although they are polite.
>> Nonetheless, it can be quite useful to have in the image for "quick
>> and dirty" but useful image tools that just aren't easy to do any
>> other way..
>>
>> To use, in a standard Squeak 4.1 image, open SqueakMap, find Maui,
>> install "1.2r1".
>>
>> To build a UI immediately, try dragging "Association" out of the
>> browser onto the desktop.  That's the Association class on the
>> desktop, so drag the *class-side* constructor, #key:value: onto it...
>> Your first Maui UI.
>>
>> I would have liked, of course, to release this with a bunch of
>> "content" to entertain you.  But given my large agenda, short
>> resources, and the relatively low response to 1.1, I would like to try
>> to get more mileage out of the original pdf document available on the
>> swiki, into which I did put quite a bit of work into explaining Maui.
>> Comments or questions about this 1.2 are very welcome.
>>
>>  - Chris

Re: [ANN] Maui 1.2 release 1

Chris Muller-3
Besides being a place I could dream to visit, "Maui" reflects the
simple concatenation of my namespace-prefix, Ma, with the abbreviation
for "user-interface".  Not to mention the actual island's connection
with Earth's magmatic geology, of course..  :)

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris,
> thank you for taking your time to update Maui so quickly for 4.1.
> I wanted to load it into my Squeak 4.1 working image.
> I ran into an obstacle.
> How do I open SqueakMap in 4.1? The class is not there.
>
> BTW what does Maui stand for?
>
> Hannes
>
> On 4/21/10, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In conjunction with the release of Squeak 4.1, I have made a new
>> release of Maui that works with 4.1 and will be supported on that
>> platform going forward.
>>
>> Maui is a user-interface builder for Squeak with a goal of _quickly_
>> producing effective drag-and-drop user-interfaces without having to
>> write any code (although interfaces are also easily created via code).
>>  When used in conjunction with MaSarPackage (to announced shortly),
>> applications can be easily deployed to SqueakMap that include the
>> designers Maui-based user-interface.
>>
>> Maui is the framework I use exclusively for internal UI's at my
>> company.  Obviously I like it because I designed it to conform to my
>> principles of an effective UI.  However, a naked-objects type of
>> user-interface will not be suitable for many situations or tastes.  My
>> teammates seem to be liking it, although they are polite.
>> Nonetheless, it can be quite useful to have in the image for "quick
>> and dirty" but useful image tools that just aren't easy to do any
>> other way..
>>
>> To use, in a standard Squeak 4.1 image, open SqueakMap, find Maui,
>> install "1.2r1".
>>
>> To build a UI immediately, try dragging "Association" out of the
>> browser onto the desktop.  That's the Association class on the
>> desktop, so drag the *class-side* constructor, #key:value: onto it...
>> Your first Maui UI.
>>
>> I would have liked, of course, to release this with a bunch of
>> "content" to entertain you.  But given my large agenda, short
>> resources, and the relatively low response to 1.1, I would like to try
>> to get more mileage out of the original pdf document available on the
>> swiki, into which I did put quite a bit of work into explaining Maui.
>> Comments or questions about this 1.2 are very welcome.
>>
>>  - Chris

Re: [ANN] Maui 1.2 release 1

Göran Krampe
Please report to me if there is any SM cache problem still and which
package if so - AFAICT it works now?

regards, Göran

Re: [ANN] Maui 1.2 release 1

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Chris,

I love Maui!!  It's so cool :)  I will be using at as my default UI choice for all my little utilities that don't warrant a revolutionary artistic UI.

I adapted MauiTextEditor to be a subclass of TextMorph for one of my own projects.  It seems like this should be common enough to go into the Squeak image, no?  I was thinking maybe put the "growable" code in a trait, so that TextMorph, PluggableTextMorph, etc. could use it.  I tried to clean up TextMorph directly, as your resizing seems like a much more rational default than Squeak's vertical growth, but I was overwhelmed by the complexity.

Anyway, what do you think?

Thanks.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN] Maui 1.2 release 1

Chris Muller-3
Hi, thanks for the feedback.  MauiPage is, indeed, one of Maui's cool
features due to its easy-integration of any domain object as a
"character" in the text.

> I adapted MauiTextEditor to be a subclass of TextMorph for one of my own
> projects.  It seems like this should be common enough to go into the Squeak
> image, no?  I was thinking maybe put the "growable" code in a trait, so that
> TextMorph, PluggableTextMorph, etc. could use it.  I tried to clean up
> TextMorph directly, as your resizing seems like a much more rational default
> than Squeak's vertical growth, but I was overwhelmed by the complexity.
>
> Anyway, what do you think?

If you just want the auto-sizing property of a MauiPage to be beholden
to a standard PluggableTextMorph, try this:

(MauiTextEditor
                        on: nil
                        text: nil
                        accept: nil)
                        extent: World extent // 4 ;
                        autoExtent: true

Sorry about the yucky API, this could be easily facaded I'm sure..

 - Chris