[ANN] MorphicDoc : A project to document Morphic

[ANN] MorphicDoc : A project to document Morphic

kilon.alios
One of the frequent questions we get asked is how to use Morphic. Unfortunately there is very little documentation for Morphic around and barely touches the most interesting concepts.

I decided to start my own project called MorphicDoc . MorphicDoc is very easy to install with Configuration Browser and it works in 2 ways. a) open the Help tool (World Menu => Help => Help Browser ) and there you will find a new section called "Morphic Doc by Kilon" b) open System Browser go to MorphicDoc package and look at the class side of MorphicDocExamples class , each method is an example taken from the tutorial in help tool and you can easily execute by clicking the green arrow next to its name.

Right now only 3 pages have been added but slowly and steadily more will be added. To get new pages and even new chapters make sure you reinstall the same very simple way like installing just open Configuration Browser and click "Install Stable Version" after you selected MorphicDoc.

I will try to add 1 page per day and at least 1 page per week depending on my free time. So make sure you update at least once per week to get the latest version of MorphicDoc.

You can report issues , advice and requests at the project page in https://github.com/kilon/MorphicDoc. Of course pull requests are more than welcomed.

Re: [ANN] MorphicDoc : A project to document Morphic

Jigyasa Grover
Hey Kilon !
I would like to contribute to your new project.
Started learning Morphic on Mr. Martin Bahr's suggestion.
Looking forward to a positive reply.
Thanks
Jigyasa Grover

Re: [ANN] MorphicDoc : A project to document Morphic

kilon.alios
sure any help is welcomed .

Contributing is the usual github workflow, you fork and send me pull requests (I would like to use this opportunity to test to see how well pull request works with gitfiletree).

Creating the documentation is also quite simple, if you open the help tool has a section of how to make documentation. To put simply, just take a look at the MorphDoc class , hellworld method and use that as template to create your own page , then add the page (name of the method) to the array returned by pages method. Then after you add the page you add your example code that you use in that page in the MorphDocExamples class (also found in MorphDoc package) the name of the method should start with example follow with name of the method use for the page in MorphDoc.

Each page should contain a simple image and should be no more than one page long. I try to brake documentation to small pages easy to follow and understand instead of lengthy descriptions.

I am on easter vacation in my father's village and the internet here is very weak so its hard for me to be online so if you need any help just email me.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Kilon !
I would like to contribute to your new project.
Started learning Morphic on Mr. Martin Bahr's suggestion.
Looking forward to a positive reply.
Thanks
Jigyasa Grover

Re: [ANN] MorphicDoc : A project to document Morphic

Thierry Goubier
Hi Kilon,

Le 11/04/2015 19:42, kilon alios a écrit :
> sure any help is welcomed .
>
> Contributing is the usual github workflow, you fork and send me pull
> requests (I would like to use this opportunity to test to see how well
> pull request works with gitfiletree).

You'll tell me :)

Just remember that github may not be able to merge because of conflicts
in the filetree metadata. In this case, you need to merge on your system
with the merge driver, and push to github.

Thierry

> Creating the documentation is also quite simple, if you open the help
> tool has a section of how to make documentation. To put simply, just
> take a look at the MorphDoc class , hellworld method and use that as
> template to create your own page , then add the page (name of the
> method) to the array returned by pages method. Then after you add the
> page you add your example code that you use in that page in the
> MorphDocExamples class (also found in MorphDoc package) the name of the
> method should start with example follow with name of the method use for
> the page in MorphDoc.
>
> Each page should contain a simple image and should be no more than one
> page long. I try to brake documentation to small pages easy to follow
> and understand instead of lengthy descriptions.
>
> I am on easter vacation in my father's village and the internet here is
> very weak so its hard for me to be online so if you need any help just
> email me.
>
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Jigyasa Grover
>
>     Hey Kilon !
>     I would like to contribute to your new project.
>     Started learning Morphic on Mr. Martin Bahr's suggestion.
>     Looking forward to a positive reply.
>     Thanks
>     Jigyasa Grover

Re: [ANN] MorphicDoc : A project to document Morphic

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
kilon.alios wrote
I decided to start my own project called MorphicDoc
Great! Thanks :)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN] MorphicDoc : A project to document Morphic

Dmitri Zagidulin
kilon --

That's awesome!

How would you feel about also adding some of those docs into the Morphic chapter of PBE? (Or, if you dont have the bandwidth, would you be opposed to someone else doing that?)

On Saturday, April 11, 2015, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

philippeback

Le 11 avr. 2015 20:00, "kilon alios" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> yes I am aware of your merge driver, will give it a try of course. I am certainly curious to see how well it works in practice.

Works nicely here but I am doing FileTree with external git tooling.

Great initiative on Morphic.

Phil

If not I will blame you of course and just copy paste the code and commit it myself. Good opportunity to learn more about git too.

> On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 8:49 PM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kilon,
>>
>> Le 11/04/2015 19:42, kilon alios a écrit :
>>>
>>> sure any help is welcomed .
>>>
>>> Contributing is the usual github workflow, you fork and send me pull
>>> requests (I would like to use this opportunity to test to see how well
>>> pull request works with gitfiletree).
>>

>> You'll tell me :)
>>
>> Just remember that github may not be able to merge because of conflicts in the filetree metadata. In this case, you need to merge on your system with the merge driver, and push to github.
>>
>> Thierry
>>
>>> Creating the documentation is also quite simple, if you open the help
>>> tool has a section of how to make documentation. To put simply, just
>>> take a look at the MorphDoc class , hellworld method and use that as
>>> template to create your own page , then add the page (name of the
>>> method) to the array returned by pages method. Then after you add the
>>> page you add your example code that you use in that page in the
>>> MorphDocExamples class (also found in MorphDoc package) the name of the
>>> method should start with example follow with name of the method use for
>>> the page in MorphDoc.
>>>
>>> Each page should contain a simple image and should be no more than one
>>> page long. I try to brake documentation to small pages easy to follow
>>> and understand instead of lengthy descriptions.
>>>
>>> I am on easter vacation in my father's village and the internet here is
>>> very weak so its hard for me to be online so if you need any help just
>>> email me.
>>>
>>> On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Jigyasa Grover
>>>
>>>     Hey Kilon !
>>>     I would like to contribute to your new project.
>>>     Started learning Morphic on Mr. Martin Bahr's suggestion.
>>>     Looking forward to a positive reply.
>>>     Thanks
>>>     Jigyasa Grover

Re: [ANN] MorphicDoc : A project to document Morphic

kilon.alios

my pleasure

Στις 11 Απρ 2015 9:19 μ.μ., ο χρήστης "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> έγραψε:

> kilon.alios wrote
> > I decided to start my own project called MorphicDoc
>
> Great! Thanks :)
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

You can report issues , advice and requests at the project page in https://github.com/kilon/MorphicDoc. Of course pull requests are more than welcomed.

Re: [ANN] MorphicDoc : A project to document Morphic

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
kilon.alios wrote
My goal is quite diffirent I want a more dynamic documentation
Yeeees!! It is a shame that the documentation for our Dynabook is written almost exclusively in old media :/ With a not-too-unimaginable enhancement to our tools (which I think is much more plausible once we have Tx), we could write in WYSIWYG to be viewed, manipulated, evaluated, hot linked, etc in-image. Have you read "Active Essays on the Web" [1]?

[1] http://www.vpri.org/pdf/tr2009002_active_essays.pdf ?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN] MorphicDoc : A project to document Morphic

kilon.alios

Thanks will read for now as first feature will be to connect gtspotter to help tool

Στις 12 Απρ 2015 4:40 μ.μ., ο χρήστης "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> έγραψε:
kilon.alios wrote
> My goal is quite diffirent I want a more dynamic documentation

Yeeees!! It is a shame that the documentation for our Dynabook is written
almost exclusively in old media :/ With a not-too-unimaginable enhancement
to our tools (which I think is much more plausible once we have Tx), we
could write in WYSIWYG to be viewed, manipulated, evaluated, hot linked, etc
in-image. Have you read "Active Essays on the Web" [1]?

[1] http://www.vpri.org/pdf/tr2009002_active_essays.pdf ?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN] MorphicDoc : A project to document Morphic

kilon.alios

Thanks I was joking about gitfiletree I am sure I will be fine

Στις 12 Απρ 2015 10:18 π.μ., ο χρήστης "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> έγραψε:

Le 11 avr. 2015 20:00, "kilon alios" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> yes I am aware of your merge driver, will give it a try of course. I am certainly curious to see how well it works in practice.

Works nicely here but I am doing FileTree with external git tooling.

Great initiative on Morphic.

Phil

If not I will blame you of course and just copy paste the code and commit it myself. Good opportunity to learn more about git too.

> On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 8:49 PM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kilon,
>>
>> Le 11/04/2015 19:42, kilon alios a écrit :
>>>
>>> sure any help is welcomed .
>>>
>>> Contributing is the usual github workflow, you fork and send me pull
>>> requests (I would like to use this opportunity to test to see how well
>>> pull request works with gitfiletree).
>>

>> You'll tell me :)
>>
>> Just remember that github may not be able to merge because of conflicts in the filetree metadata. In this case, you need to merge on your system with the merge driver, and push to github.
>>
>> Thierry
>>
>>> Creating the documentation is also quite simple, if you open the help
>>> tool has a section of how to make documentation. To put simply, just
>>> take a look at the MorphDoc class , hellworld method and use that as
>>> template to create your own page , then add the page (name of the
>>> method) to the array returned by pages method. Then after you add the
>>> page you add your example code that you use in that page in the
>>> MorphDocExamples class (also found in MorphDoc package) the name of the
>>> method should start with example follow with name of the method use for
>>> the page in MorphDoc.
>>>
>>> Each page should contain a simple image and should be no more than one
>>> page long. I try to brake documentation to small pages easy to follow
>>> and understand instead of lengthy descriptions.
>>>
>>> I am on easter vacation in my father's village and the internet here is
>>> very weak so its hard for me to be online so if you need any help just
>>> email me.
>>>
>>> On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Jigyasa Grover
>>>
>>>     Hey Kilon !
>>>     I would like to contribute to your new project.
>>>     Started learning Morphic on Mr. Martin Bahr's suggestion.
>>>     Looking forward to a positive reply.
>>>     Thanks
>>>     Jigyasa Grover

Re: [ANN] MorphicDoc : A project to document Morphic

CyrilFerlicot
That's great ! Good luck with your project ! Thank you !

--
Cheers
Cyril Ferlicot