[ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

[ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

Torsten Bergmann
Julien Delplanque provided this week a goodie to switch between
"desktops" - but his initial solution was more or less hiding windows
and not really switching between real Pharo worlds/desktops.

I gave him some tips what could be done on the pharo-user list. Havent heard
from him afterwards.

Now I was able to spend a few hours on this topic myself and implemented
a full multiple desktop solution myself.

This works in Pharo 5 only (currently) and requires latest VM (at least on Windows)
from files.pharo.org to get the keyboard shortcuts right.

To try:

  Gofer new
    smalltalkhubUser: 'TorstenBergmann' project: 'DesktopManager';
    configuration;
    loadDevelopment.

The goodie has some nice features like keyboard navigation, world menu
integration and even a custom spotter with preview of the desktops.

Quick start:
===========
 - evaluate the above expression in a Pharo 5 image
 - check the world menu "Desktop"
 - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + A (= Desktop Add) to add a new desktop
 - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + D (= Desktop Desktop) to open the overview
 - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + P (= Desktop Previous) to navigate to the previous desktop
 - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + N (= Desktop Next) to navigate to the next desktop

The code is hopefully a good example on how to build a custom spotter, shortcuts, inspector extensions, ...
Additionally all this is described in a new article including screenshots
and a guide on how to use this new goodie:

   https://medium.com/@astares/multiple-desktops-for-pharo-5cbc46f3179f

Actually the article took more time to write than coding but I hope
it helps explaining Pharo and why it is a power tool.

Project is on http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/DesktopManager
Article and code is still subject to change.

Have fun
T.

spotter.png (49K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Julien,

sorry for "hijacking" the topic. But I got some time left while traveling
allowing me to put my recommended puzzle pieces together myself and as I
wrote the code was less time consuming compared to the article. The article
should help others to investigate in the goodies code and learn how to do own
inspector extensions, spotter models, ... in recent Pharo now. If there is
something wrong with the implementation feel free to send me comments/corrections.

Also note that the project on STHub is open for commits, so if you find something
missing please add it. I would like to keep the "multiple desktops" metaphor
instead of "multiple worlds" as it better fits what people know and expect.

Additional info:
================
Meanwhile the job run that checks the configurations for the Catalog Browser.
So in a fresh and updated Pharo 5 image you can just:

 - hit SHIFT + ENTER to open the default Spotter
 - enter "DesktopManager" as a search term to find the project automagically
 - hit enter to load it

So there is no need to rember cumbersome Gofer scripts anymore. Just type and go.

After loading you can use the tool as written before:

 - check the world menu "Desktop"
 - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + A (= Desktop Add) to add a new desktop
 - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + D (= Desktop Desktop) to open the overview (custom spotter for desktop selection)
 - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + P (= Desktop Previous) to navigate to the previous desktop
 - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + N (= Desktop Next) to navigate to the next desktop

You can also use the world menu (see another screenshot attached).

Hope it will become useful to others as well. We should have cared already back in 2010/2011 when
Jochen and Sean raised the issue. On the other side with the nice moldable GT tools introduced now
in Pharo 4/5 it was really easy to implement.

Thanks
T.

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. August 2015 um 07:52 Uhr
> Von: "Julien Delplanque" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Torsten Bergmann" <[hidden email]>, "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>, "Any question about pharo is welcome" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5
>
> Hi,
>
> I was actually implementing this feature using your advices :
> https://github.com/juliendelplanque/multiworlds.
>
> But yours looks better anyway.
>
> Julien
>
> On 27/08/15 03:19, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> > Julien Delplanque provided this week a goodie to switch between
> > "desktops" - but his initial solution was more or less hiding windows
> > and not really switching between real Pharo worlds/desktops.
> >
> > I gave him some tips what could be done on the pharo-user list. Havent heard
> > from him afterwards.
> >
> > Now I was able to spend a few hours on this topic myself and implemented
> > a full multiple desktop solution myself.
> >
> > This works in Pharo 5 only (currently) and requires latest VM (at least on Windows)
> > from files.pharo.org to get the keyboard shortcuts right.
> >
> > To try:
> >
> >    Gofer new
> >      smalltalkhubUser: 'TorstenBergmann' project: 'DesktopManager';
> >      configuration;
> >      loadDevelopment.
> >
> > The goodie has some nice features like keyboard navigation, world menu
> > integration and even a custom spotter with preview of the desktops.
> >
> > Quick start:
> > ===========
> >   - evaluate the above expression in a Pharo 5 image
> >   - check the world menu "Desktop"
> >   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + A (= Desktop Add) to add a new desktop
> >   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + D (= Desktop Desktop) to open the overview
> >   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + P (= Desktop Previous) to navigate to the previous desktop
> >   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + N (= Desktop Next) to navigate to the next desktop
> >
> > The code is hopefully a good example on how to build a custom spotter, shortcuts, inspector extensions, ...
> > Additionally all this is described in a new article including screenshots
> > and a guide on how to use this new goodie:
> >
> >     https://medium.com/@astares/multiple-desktops-for-pharo-5cbc46f3179f
> >
> > Actually the article took more time to write than coding but I hope
> > it helps explaining Pharo and why it is a power tool.
> >
> > Project is on http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/DesktopManager
> > Article and code is still subject to change.
> >
> > Have fun
> > T.

menu.png (65K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

Hannes Hirzel
On 8/27/15, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Julien,
>
> sorry for "hijacking" the topic. But I got some time left while traveling
> allowing me to put my recommended puzzle pieces together myself and as I
> wrote the code was less time consuming compared to the article. The article
>
> should help others to investigate in the goodies code and learn how to do
> own
> inspector extensions, spotter models, ... in recent Pharo now. If there is
> something wrong with the implementation feel free to send me
> comments/corrections.
>
> Also note that the project on STHub is open for commits, so if you find
> something
> missing please add it. I would like to keep the "multiple desktops"
> metaphor
> instead of "multiple worlds" as it better fits what people know and expect.

+1

> Additional info:
> ================
> Meanwhile the job run that checks the configurations for the Catalog
> Browser.
> So in a fresh and updated Pharo 5 image you can just:
>
>  - hit SHIFT + ENTER to open the default Spotter
>  - enter "DesktopManager" as a search term to find the project
> automagically
>  - hit enter to load it
>
> So there is no need to rember cumbersome Gofer scripts anymore. Just type
> and go.
>
> After loading you can use the tool as written before:
>
>  - check the world menu "Desktop"
>  - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + A (= Desktop Add) to add a new
> desktop
>  - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + D (= Desktop Desktop) to open the
> overview (custom spotter for desktop selection)
>  - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + P (= Desktop Previous) to navigate
> to the previous desktop
>  - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + N (= Desktop Next) to navigate to
> the next desktop
>
> You can also use the world menu (see another screenshot attached).
>
> Hope it will become useful to others as well. We should have cared already
> back in 2010/2011 when
> Jochen and Sean raised the issue. On the other side with the nice moldable
> GT tools introduced now
> in Pharo 4/5 it was really easy to implement.

Does this mean that it is available in Pharo 4 as well?

> Thanks
> T.
>
>> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. August 2015 um 07:52 Uhr
>> Von: "Julien Delplanque" <[hidden email]>
>> An: "Torsten Bergmann" <[hidden email]>, "Pharo Development List"
>> <[hidden email]>, "Any question about pharo is welcome"
>> <[hidden email]>
>> Betreff: Re: [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was actually implementing this feature using your advices :
>> https://github.com/juliendelplanque/multiworlds.
>>
>> But yours looks better anyway.
>>
>> Julien
>>
>> On 27/08/15 03:19, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>> > Julien Delplanque provided this week a goodie to switch between
>> > "desktops" - but his initial solution was more or less hiding windows
>> > and not really switching between real Pharo worlds/desktops.
>> >
>> > I gave him some tips what could be done on the pharo-user list. Havent
>> > heard
>> > from him afterwards.
>> >
>> > Now I was able to spend a few hours on this topic myself and
>> > implemented
>> > a full multiple desktop solution myself.
>> >
>> > This works in Pharo 5 only (currently) and requires latest VM (at least
>> > on Windows)
>> > from files.pharo.org to get the keyboard shortcuts right.
>> >
>> > To try:
>> >
>> >    Gofer new
>> >      smalltalkhubUser: 'TorstenBergmann' project: 'DesktopManager';
>> >      configuration;
>> >      loadDevelopment.
>> >
>> > The goodie has some nice features like keyboard navigation, world menu
>> > integration and even a custom spotter with preview of the desktops.
>> >
>> > Quick start:
>> > ===========
>> >   - evaluate the above expression in a Pharo 5 image
>> >   - check the world menu "Desktop"
>> >   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + A (= Desktop Add) to add a
>> > new desktop
>> >   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + D (= Desktop Desktop) to open
>> > the overview
>> >   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + P (= Desktop Previous) to
>> > navigate to the previous desktop
>> >   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + N (= Desktop Next) to
>> > navigate to the next desktop
>> >
>> > The code is hopefully a good example on how to build a custom spotter,
>> > shortcuts, inspector extensions, ...
>> > Additionally all this is described in a new article including
>> > screenshots
>> > and a guide on how to use this new goodie:
>> >

>> > https://medium.com/@astares/multiple-desktops-for-pharo-5cbc46f3179f
>> >
>> > Actually the article took more time to write than coding but I hope
>> > it helps explaining Pharo and why it is a power tool.
>> >
>> > Project is on
>> > http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/DesktopManager
>> > Article and code is still subject to change.
>> >
>> > Have fun
>> > T.

Re: [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Torsten,

There is no way to make it work in Pharo 4.0?

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 10:19 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

uuhhh I just quickly watched your amazing post. I WANT THIS!!!!!
Even if shortcuts don't work could it work in 4.0? please!

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Julien Delplanque

On 27/08/15 11:42, H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 8/27/15, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Julien,
>>
>> sorry for "hijacking" the topic. But I got some time left while traveling
>> allowing me to put my recommended puzzle pieces together myself and as I
>> wrote the code was less time consuming compared to the article. The article
>>
>> should help others to investigate in the goodies code and learn how to do
>> own
>> inspector extensions, spotter models, ... in recent Pharo now. If there is
>> something wrong with the implementation feel free to send me
>> comments/corrections.
>>
>> Also note that the project on STHub is open for commits, so if you find
>> something
>> missing please add it. I would like to keep the "multiple desktops"
>> metaphor
>> instead of "multiple worlds" as it better fits what people know and expect.
> +1
>
>> Additional info:
>> ================
>> Meanwhile the job run that checks the configurations for the Catalog
>> Browser.
>> So in a fresh and updated Pharo 5 image you can just:
>>
>>   - hit SHIFT + ENTER to open the default Spotter
>>   - enter "DesktopManager" as a search term to find the project
>> automagically
>>   - hit enter to load it
>>
>> So there is no need to rember cumbersome Gofer scripts anymore. Just type
>> and go.
>>
>> After loading you can use the tool as written before:
>>
>>   - check the world menu "Desktop"
>>   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + A (= Desktop Add) to add a new
>> desktop
>>   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + D (= Desktop Desktop) to open the
>> overview (custom spotter for desktop selection)
>>   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + P (= Desktop Previous) to navigate
>> to the previous desktop
>>   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + N (= Desktop Next) to navigate to
>> the next desktop
>>
>> You can also use the world menu (see another screenshot attached).
>>
>> Hope it will become useful to others as well. We should have cared already
>> back in 2010/2011 when
>> Jochen and Sean raised the issue. On the other side with the nice moldable
>> GT tools introduced now
>> in Pharo 4/5 it was really easy to implement.
> Does this mean that it is available in Pharo 4 as well?

I tried it on pharo 4 and it doesn't works, it has the same problem as
the one I had when implementing my version.

Julien

Re: [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

Hannes Hirzel
Julien,

could you please describe the problem you had in Pharo 4.0 with more details?

--Hannes

On 8/27/15, Julien Delplanque <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27/08/15 11:42, H. Hirzel wrote:
>> On 8/27/15, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Julien,
>>>
>>> sorry for "hijacking" the topic. But I got some time left while
>>> traveling
>>> allowing me to put my recommended puzzle pieces together myself and as I
>>> wrote the code was less time consuming compared to the article. The
>>> article
>>>
>>> should help others to investigate in the goodies code and learn how to
>>> do
>>> own
>>> inspector extensions, spotter models, ... in recent Pharo now. If there
>>> is
>>> something wrong with the implementation feel free to send me
>>> comments/corrections.
>>>
>>> Also note that the project on STHub is open for commits, so if you find
>>> something
>>> missing please add it. I would like to keep the "multiple desktops"
>>> metaphor
>>> instead of "multiple worlds" as it better fits what people know and
>>> expect.
>> +1
>>
>>> Additional info:
>>> ================
>>> Meanwhile the job run that checks the configurations for the Catalog
>>> Browser.
>>> So in a fresh and updated Pharo 5 image you can just:
>>>
>>>   - hit SHIFT + ENTER to open the default Spotter
>>>   - enter "DesktopManager" as a search term to find the project
>>> automagically
>>>   - hit enter to load it
>>>
>>> So there is no need to rember cumbersome Gofer scripts anymore. Just
>>> type
>>> and go.
>>>
>>> After loading you can use the tool as written before:
>>>
>>>   - check the world menu "Desktop"
>>>   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + A (= Desktop Add) to add a
>>> new
>>> desktop
>>>   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + D (= Desktop Desktop) to open
>>> the
>>> overview (custom spotter for desktop selection)
>>>   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + P (= Desktop Previous) to
>>> navigate
>>> to the previous desktop
>>>   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + N (= Desktop Next) to navigate
>>> the next desktop
>>>
>>> You can also use the world menu (see another screenshot attached).
>>>
>>> Hope it will become useful to others as well. We should have cared
>>> already
>>> back in 2010/2011 when
>>> Jochen and Sean raised the issue. On the other side with the nice
>>> moldable
>>> GT tools introduced now
>>> in Pharo 4/5 it was really easy to implement.
>> Does this mean that it is available in Pharo 4 as well?
>>

> I tried it on pharo 4 and it doesn't works, it has the same problem as
> the one I had when implementing my version.
>
> Julien

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

Mariano Martinez Peck
Indeed, tell us since maybe someone can find a workaround :)

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 1:52 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> navigate
>>> to the previous desktop
>>>   - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + N (= Desktop Next) to navigate
>>> the next desktop
>>>
>>> You can also use the world menu (see another screenshot attached).
>>>
>>> Hope it will become useful to others as well. We should have cared
>>> already
>>> back in 2010/2011 when
>>> Jochen and Sean raised the issue. On the other side with the nice
>>> moldable
>>> GT tools introduced now
>>> in Pharo 4/5 it was really easy to implement.
>> Does this mean that it is available in Pharo 4 as well?
>>

> I tried it on pharo 4 and it doesn't works, it has the same problem as
> the one I had when implementing my version.
>
> Julien

Re: [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

When changing the desktop, windows opened before where not clickable
anymore like if they where a part of the "wallpaper".

Julien

T.

Re: [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

Torsten Bergmann
I can confirm that this is a problem in latest Pharo 4.0 which
is build #40619.

The interesting thing is that we do not have this effect in the initial Pharo 5 version
started right after Pharo 4 Release which is Pharo 5.0 Build #50000.

As it is working in Pharo 5.0 Build #50000 I guess something was broken
by one of the backports. Anyone know from what 4xxxx build nr. 50000
was forked?

Thans
T.

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. August 2015 um 20:04 Uhr
> Von: "Julien Delplanque" <[hidden email]>
> An: "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "Any question about pharo is welcome" <[hidden email]>, "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5
>
> When changing the desktop, windows opened before where not clickable
> anymore like if they where a part of the "wallpaper".
>
> Julien
>
> On 27/08/15 18:52, H. Hirzel wrote:
> > Julien,
> >
> > could you please describe the problem you had in Pharo 4.0 with more details?
> >
> > --Hannes

> >> I tried it on pharo 4 and it doesn't works, it has the same problem as
> >> the one I had when implementing my version.
> >>
> >> Julien

Re: [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

Torsten Bergmann
Check your VM. I guess you need to update to a newer one.
Had this issue myself on one Windows machine because of outdated VM.

I update mine from time to time to latest.zip from
http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/win

This also helps in finding possible new bugs in Windows VM.

Thanks
T.

Have fun
T.

Re: [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Torsten Bergmann wrote
sorry for "hijacking" the topic
Yes, when you pre-announce something exciting, you have to move quickly or Torsten may finish it for you ha ha ;)

Torsten Bergmann wrote
allowing me to put my recommended puzzle pieces together myself
I wonder how it compares to the solution in TWM, which has been very buggy since Pharo 4.0…
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Torsten

the desktops are named

    'Desktop 1'
    'Desktop 2'
    'Desktop 3'.

Is it possible to change these names?

Regards
Hannes

On 8/27/15, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Julien Delplanque provided this week a goodie to switch between
> "desktops" - but his initial solution was more or less hiding windows
> and not really switching between real Pharo worlds/desktops.
>
> I gave him some tips what could be done on the pharo-user list. Havent
> heard
> from him afterwards.
>
> Now I was able to spend a few hours on this topic myself and implemented
> a full multiple desktop solution myself.
>
> This works in Pharo 5 only (currently) and requires latest VM (at least on
> Windows)
> from files.pharo.org to get the keyboard shortcuts right.
>
> To try:
>
>   Gofer new
>     smalltalkhubUser: 'TorstenBergmann' project: 'DesktopManager';
>     configuration;
>     loadDevelopment.
>
> The goodie has some nice features like keyboard navigation, world menu
> integration and even a custom spotter with preview of the desktops.
>
> Quick start:
> ===========
>  - evaluate the above expression in a Pharo 5 image
>  - check the world menu "Desktop"
>  - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + A (= Desktop Add) to add a new
> desktop
>  - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + D (= Desktop Desktop) to open the
> overview
>  - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + P (= Desktop Previous) to navigate
> to the previous desktop
>  - you can press CTRL + D and then CTRL + N (= Desktop Next) to navigate to
> the next desktop
>
> The code is hopefully a good example on how to build a custom spotter,
> shortcuts, inspector extensions, ...
> Additionally all this is described in a new article including screenshots
> and a guide on how to use this new goodie:
>
>    https://medium.com/@astares/multiple-desktops-for-pharo-5cbc46f3179f
>
> Actually the article took more time to write than coding but I hope
> it helps explaining Pharo and why it is a power tool.
>
> Project is on
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/DesktopManager
> Article and code is still subject to change.
>
> Have fun
> T.

Re: [ANN] Multiple Desktop support for Pharo 5

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Hannes,

I've just added support for this. Update your version or load latest from Catalog.

You can then use the menu or

   CTRL + D and then CTRL + R  like "Desktop" -> "Rename"

so now you have:

   CTRL + D and then CTRL + D  like "Desktop" -> "Desktop switcher" (a custom Spotter)
   CTRL + D and then CTRL + F  like "Desktop" -> "Fullscreen" (toggles fullscreen)
   CTRL + D and then CTRL + O  like "Desktop" -> "Overview"
   CTRL + D and then CTRL + P  like "Desktop" -> "Previous"
   CTRL + D and then CTRL + N  like "Desktop" -> "Next"
   CTRL + D and then CTRL + R  like "Desktop" -> "Rename"

Side note:
If you work on Windows take care: if you already switch to Spur VM https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17289
the "DesktopManager" and "QuickAccess" goodies will not work as CTRL keys are not handled correctly anymore
in pharo-spur32 (for win, dated 14.12.2015) compared to non-spur VM.
Esteban knows about this already and followup with merged VM code in the next weeks. As always a time issue.
I have to stop in Pharo5.0 Latest update: #50495 (last non-spur image) with most of my stuff for that reason.

Hope this helps and happy x-mas.

Have fun
T.