Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ANN] New Glorp Port

Guillermo Polito
I'm glad to announce a first stable version of the new Glorp Port, from VW 7.7.1.

The port has been integrated with the DBXTalk Driver (before known as SqueakDBX), and tested on the following platforms:

MySql: 872 tests run, 18 errors, 6 failures
PostgreSQL: 872 tests, 18 errors, 6 failures
Oracle: 872 tests, 21 errors, 5 failures.

Most of the errors are caused by stuff the DBXTalk Driver does not support yet, like LOBS.  Also, there are some bugs yet I have to attack and learn how to get rid of, hehe.

One think to be careful of yet is the licencing (or how it should be written).  Glorp licence today is LGPL, but in the way to be MIT :).

So, if you want to download and try it, evaluate in a workspace, in Pharo 1.2 and 1.3,

Gofer it
    squeaksource: 'DBXTalk';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX';
    load.

(ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX project version: #stable) load

And start playing!

I think I'll become the new port mantainer, so feedback, bug reports and everything else is appreciated.

BTW, documentation and some new tools are on the way too.

Guille :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [ANN] New Glorp Port

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks guillermo!

Stef

On Jun 7, 2011, at 4:57 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> I'm glad to announce a first stable version of the new Glorp Port, from VW 7.7.1.
>
> The port has been integrated with the DBXTalk Driver (before known as SqueakDBX), and tested on the following platforms:
>
> MySql: 872 tests run, 18 errors, 6 failures
> PostgreSQL: 872 tests, 18 errors, 6 failures
> Oracle: 872 tests, 21 errors, 5 failures.
>
> Most of the errors are caused by stuff the DBXTalk Driver does not support yet, like LOBS.  Also, there are some bugs yet I have to attack and learn how to get rid of, hehe.
>
> One think to be careful of yet is the licencing (or how it should be written).  Glorp licence today is LGPL, but in the way to be MIT :).
>
> So, if you want to download and try it, evaluate in a workspace, in Pharo 1.2 and 1.3,
>
> Gofer it
>    squeaksource: 'DBXTalk';
>    package: 'ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX';
>    load.
>
> (ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX project version: #stable) load
>
> And start playing!
>
> I think I'll become the new port mantainer, so feedback, bug reports and everything else is appreciated.
>
> BTW, documentation and some new tools are on the way too.
>
>
> Guille :)

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] New Glorp Port

Mariano Martinez Peck
We have a new issue tracker:

http://code.google.com/p/dbxtalk/issues/list

So...please, if there are bugs or wishes, writem them there.

I have just added:

http://code.google.com/p/dbxtalk/issues/detail?id=6

Cheers

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
thanks guillermo!

Stef

On Jun 7, 2011, at 4:57 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> I'm glad to announce a first stable version of the new Glorp Port, from VW 7.7.1.
>
> The port has been integrated with the DBXTalk Driver (before known as SqueakDBX), and tested on the following platforms:
>
> MySql: 872 tests run, 18 errors, 6 failures
> PostgreSQL: 872 tests, 18 errors, 6 failures
> Oracle: 872 tests, 21 errors, 5 failures.
>
> Most of the errors are caused by stuff the DBXTalk Driver does not support yet, like LOBS.  Also, there are some bugs yet I have to attack and learn how to get rid of, hehe.
>
> One think to be careful of yet is the licencing (or how it should be written).  Glorp licence today is LGPL, but in the way to be MIT :).
>
> So, if you want to download and try it, evaluate in a workspace, in Pharo 1.2 and 1.3,
>
> Gofer it
>    squeaksource: 'DBXTalk';
>    package: 'ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX';
>    load.
>
> (ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX project version: #stable) load
>
> And start playing!
>
> I think I'll become the new port mantainer, so feedback, bug reports and everything else is appreciated.
>
> BTW, documentation and some new tools are on the way too.
>
>
> Guille :)

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [SqueakDBX] Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] New Glorp Port

Guillermo Polito
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito
Hi Alan!!

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Alan Knight <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks.

I got Michael to import this into the public Store. That's an interesting exercise, because in current versions, Store uses Glorp, so loading a different version of Glorp and trying to publish it is interesting.

So you imported our changes in a branch of your repo?  I was going to make a list of what we had to do to import it into pharo to send it to you :).  Actually I learnt a lot (and I still do) while doing the port, but my learning process is a bit chaothic, and making a list in the first try was not easy for me, hehe.

Even in a different namespace the class extensions of base classes collide. But it got imported. I'd like to be able to compare this to the current Glorp versions and bring back portability fixes into the main branch. One issue is that this comes as one package, GlorpDBX, so the package structure of the original is lost. That can probably be worked around, but it's a bit of work.

Actually yes, since in pharo we don't have namespaces, we had to recategorize a lot of classes to put it a little of order, hehe.

Also, when you say "from VW 7.7.1" can I assume that means you started from the version of Glorp distributed with VW 7.7.1, which would be '7.7.1 - 19'?

Yeap :)

Thanks!
Guille

[hidden email]
June 6, 2011 10:57 PM

I'm glad to announce a first stable version of the new Glorp Port, from VW 7.7.1.

The port has been integrated with the DBXTalk Driver (before known as SqueakDBX), and tested on the following platforms:

MySql: 872 tests run, 18 errors, 6 failures
PostgreSQL: 872 tests, 18 errors, 6 failures
Oracle: 872 tests, 21 errors, 5 failures.

Most of the errors are caused by stuff the DBXTalk Driver does not support yet, like LOBS.  Also, there are some bugs yet I have to attack and learn how to get rid of, hehe.

One think to be careful of yet is the licencing (or how it should be written).  Glorp licence today is LGPL, but in the way to be MIT :).

So, if you want to download and try it, evaluate in a workspace, in Pharo 1.2 and 1.3,

Gofer it
    squeaksource: 'DBXTalk';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX';
    load.

(ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX project version: #stable) load

And start playing!

I think I'll become the new port mantainer, so feedback, bug reports and everything else is appreciated.

BTW, documentation and some new tools are on the way too.

Guille :)