[ANN] New Pharo Glorp version and Book chapter

[ANN] New Pharo Glorp version and Book chapter

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hello all,

During the first part of the year, and sponsored by the Pharo
Consortium, I started a new port of Glorp, the Object-Relational
mapper, based on the latest version available in VW 8.0.1.

This latest port was done from scratch in Pharo and brings features
and bugfixes that were accumulated in the VW port during more than 5
years (previous Pharo port) and weren't available until now; and it
uses the Garage database drivers (but not limited to them).

During the last couple of months, and also by request of the
Consortium, I wrote a chapter for one of the Pharo books describing
Glorp as much as possible, with tutorials and key concepts. The
chapter ended up being the longest in text and pages of all written;
the domain is so broad and deep that I'm considering taking it to a
whole book, who knows...

The book is available at
<https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoBookWorkInProgress/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Glorp/Glorp.pdf>,
and I will welcome suggestions and corrections as pull requests to
<https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoInProgress>

The Glorp repository is the same as the previous one
(http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~DBXTalk/Glorp), and the current
Metacello configs will load the previous version for Pharo 4 and the
new version for Pharo 5. For the foreseeable future I'll continue
maintaining Glorp, but the code is MIT and I'm open to contributions
(I'll set up a Github repo in the next days).

Also I've been running production software based on Glorp for a few
years now, so my experience with it cover most of its features and
usage patterns, so if you have particular questions not covered by the
book chapter or any other material feel free to ask me, this mailing
list or to the Glorp mailing list at <[hidden email]>.

Best regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: [ANN] New Pharo Glorp version and Book chapter

pdigonzelli1
Excellent Esteban.
Thanks a lot !!!!

Ing. Pablo Digonzelli
Software Solutions
IP-Solutiones SRL
Dividato SA
25 de Mayo 521
San Miguel de Tucumán
Email: [hidden email]
[hidden email]
Cel: 5493815982714

Re: [ANN] New Pharo Glorp version and Book chapter

Denis Kudriashov
Good job, Esteban.
Now we need good Garage drivers for databases which not lock image. Does anyone plan to work on Oracle and SQLServer backends?

[...]

Thanks all. There were several people that helped me along this
endeavor and I thank again the Pharo Consortium for pushing this.

> Good job, Esteban.
> Now we need good Garage drivers for databases which not lock image. Does
> anyone plan to work on Oracle and SQLServer backends?

The Garage drivers got hurt by the changes in the FFI API (UFFI), but
there are some people working on getting them back for Pharo 5. This
is really important, and for those RDBMS you mention in particular,
according to a survey [1] I did at the end of last year. We'll get
there.

Those willing to discuss issues or collaborate on these topics can
always use this mailing list, but there is an active community of
developers in the Pharo Project Slack team, we have one channel
dedicated to database discussion [2].

Also, I copied the latest commit from the SmalltalkHub repo to GitHub
in order to use its issue tracker [3] for bug reporting.

Regards!

[1] https://medium.com/@emaringolo/pharo-rdbms-support-survey-results-9c8f640878db
[2] https://pharoproject.slack.com/messages/databases/
[3] https://github.com/DBXTalk/Glorp/issues

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: [ANN] New Pharo Glorp version and Book chapter

Brad Selfridge
Tried downloading the new Garage/GLORP code and am getting the following error:

'Could not access http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Garage/GarageGlorp/main/: ZnHttpUnsuccessful: 404 Not Found'
Brad Selfridge

Re: [ANN] New Pharo Glorp version and Book chapter

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi Brad,

How are you trying to load it?

That repository URL doesn't seems right to me, because Garage and
Glorp are part of the DBXTalk user.

Try with this:

Metacello new
        smalltalkhubUser: 'DBXTalk' project: 'Garage';
        configuration: 'GarageGlorp';
        version: #stable;
        load.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> Tried downloading the new Garage/GLORP code and am getting the following
> error:
>
> 'Could not access http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Garage/GarageGlorp/main/:
> ZnHttpUnsuccessful: 404 Not Found'
>

> -----
> Brad Selfridge

Re: [ANN] New Pharo Glorp version and Book chapter

Brad Selfridge
That seems to work.
Brad Selfridge