[ANN] New Pharo VM released (v8.6.1)

tesonep@gmail.com
Hi,
     this is an announcement of a new release of the Pharo VM. This
new version is available to be downloaded through get-pharo scripts
and through the Pharo Launcher. From the Pharo Launcher, remember to
update the VM from the VM manager window.

This version includes a series of improvements:

- Unification of code base with the headless VM
- Preparation for supporting HDPI displays.
- Improvements in the speed of Threaded FFI (40x times faster in
SameThread runner and 2x in Threaded worker).
- Better handling of semaphores
- Improvements in the loading of large images (better buffering)
- Better support for headless execution on non-main thread

Please let me know if you find any issues.

Cheers, Pablo

Pablo Tesone.

Re: [ANN] New Pharo VM released (v8.6.1)

Guillermo Polito
Cool!! :)

I just updated the launcher and got by default the new headless!!

Just as a reminder, to update the launcher, you can go to the VM manager clicking on the VMs button, and update (e.g.) the 90-x64 vm

After update, the VM should have today’s date.

El 2 nov 2020, a las 16:48, [hidden email] escribió:

[...]

Santiago Bragagnolo
These are great newsss!!! thanks a lot for your hardwork.
None of the other things we like to do would be possible without this.

El lun., 2 nov. 2020 a las 16:48, [hidden email] (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi,
     this is an announcement of a new release of the Pharo VM. This
new version is available to be downloaded through get-pharo scripts
and through the Pharo Launcher. From the Pharo Launcher, remember to
update the VM from the VM manager window.

This version includes a series of improvements:

- Unification of code base with the headless VM
- Preparation for supporting HDPI displays.
- Improvements in the speed of Threaded FFI (40x times faster in
SameThread runner and 2x in Threaded worker).
- Better handling of semaphores
- Improvements in the loading of large images (better buffering)
- Better support for headless execution on non-main thread

Please let me know if you find any issues.

Cheers, Pablo

Pablo Tesone.

Re: [ANN] New Pharo VM released (v8.6.1)

Martin McClure-2
Is this new VM available for Linux? I only see Windows and Mac VMs that
are dated 2020-11-02.
In the launcher (launcher 2.2, still the latest AFAICT) refreshing the
90-x64 VM just re-downloads the one from 2020-02-11.

Thanks,
-Martin

On 11/2/20 7:48 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>       this is an announcement of a new release of the Pharo VM. This
> new version is available to be downloaded through get-pharo scripts
> and through the Pharo Launcher. From the Pharo Launcher, remember to
> update the VM from the VM manager window.
>
> This version includes a series of improvements:
>
> - Unification of code base with the headless VM
> - Preparation for supporting HDPI displays.
> - Improvements in the speed of Threaded FFI (40x times faster in
> SameThread runner and 2x in Threaded worker).
> - Better handling of semaphores
> - Improvements in the loading of large images (better buffering)
> - Better support for headless execution on non-main thread
>
> Please let me know if you find any issues.
>
> Cheers, Pablo

Re: [ANN] New Pharo VM released (v8.6.1)

tesonep@gmail.com
Hi Martin, yes, it is true. I have to rollback the change because it
was a compatibility issue with Debian 9.11, and this version is the
one used by Jenkins docker images.
I will do a release as soon as I can fix it. I want to push OBS to the
last step to be productive. There is a lot of work on that and we need
to profit it.
The headless VM in Linux has been updated to the latest and that one
has not been rollbacked.

Pablo Tesone.

Re: [ANN] New Pharo VM released (v8.6.1)

Martin McClure-2
Thanks Pablo, that makes sense.

Regards,
-Martin