[ANN] New Pharo blog - "Pharo Trek"

kilon.alios
So I decided to take a stab at making my own blog for pharo and making my own website for my projects and my work , you can find my blog here

Does not have much content, but there is a blog post about my latest project Octopus . Hope you like it , stay tune for more :)

Re: [ANN] New Pharo blog - "Pharo Trek"

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Seems nice. Which back end do you use for your website?

Cheers,

Offray

On 25/10/16 07:37, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
> So I decided to take a stab at making my own blog for pharo and making
> my own website for my projects and my work , you can find my blog here
>
> http://www.kilon-alios.com/subpages/blog/index.html
>
> Does not have much content, but there is a blog post about my latest
> project Octopus . Hope you like it , stay tune for more :)

Re: [ANN] New Pharo blog - "Pharo Trek"

kilon.alios
Thanks Offray

My "backend" is Octopus and Pillar so 100% Pharo :) But I do edit the final Html, mainly fine tuning. Pillar and Octopus deal with the long text and generate the appropriate HTML.
The blog and website are static because they are hosted by Gitlab and only static website generators are allowed, not that I need something more I am very happy with the simplicity of it.
The templates I use are bootsrap from getboostrap website.

I will keep improving them, but for now I am very happy with the end result

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Seems nice. Which back end do you use for your website?

Cheers,

Offray

On 25/10/16 07:37, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
> So I decided to take a stab at making my own blog for pharo and making
> my own website for my projects and my work , you can find my blog here
>
> http://www.kilon-alios.com/subpages/blog/index.html
>
> Does not have much content, but there is a blog post about my latest
> project Octopus . Hope you like it , stay tune for more :)

Re: [ANN] New Pharo blog - "Pharo Trek"

Petr Fischer
No RSS? :)

> So I decided to take a stab at making my own blog for pharo and making my
> own website for my projects and my work , you can find my blog here
>
> http://www.kilon-alios.com/subpages/blog/index.html
>
> Does not have much content, but there is a blog post about my latest
> project Octopus . Hope you like it , stay tune for more :)

Re: [ANN] New Pharo blog - "Pharo Trek"

kilon.alios
not for now, I never used RSS feeds myself and have no clue how to add one so it will have to wait for now. This is actually my first effort at creating a blog and a website from scratch, well if you exclude the bootsrap templates. I did it this way because I wanted more control and an opportunity to learn at least HTML stuff.

But of course this is the nothing more than the first steps, I will keep improving it slowly.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 10:00 PM Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
No RSS? :)

> So I decided to take a stab at making my own blog for pharo and making my
> own website for my projects and my work , you can find my blog here
>
> http://www.kilon-alios.com/subpages/blog/index.html
>
> Does not have much content, but there is a blog post about my latest
> project Octopus . Hope you like it , stay tune for more :)

Re: [ANN] New Pharo blog - "Pharo Trek"

stepharo

dimitris

may be you should have a look at ecstatic.

We should migrate it to the latest version of Pillar but our ideas was to use pillar to produce static web site.

http://guillep.github.io/ecstatic/

The web site of guille is produced with ecstatic https://guillep.github.io/research.html If you could give a try and give feedback it would be nice. I'm building new components to get publication lists integrated into it.

Stef

Le 25/10/16 à 20:47, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
Thanks Offray

My "backend" is Octopus and Pillar so 100% Pharo :) But I do edit the final Html, mainly fine tuning. Pillar and Octopus deal with the long text and generate the appropriate HTML.
The blog and website are static because they are hosted by Gitlab and only static website generators are allowed, not that I need something more I am very happy with the simplicity of it.
The templates I use are bootsrap from getboostrap website.

I will keep improving them, but for now I am very happy with the end result

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Seems nice. Which back end do you use for your website?

Cheers,

Offray

On 25/10/16 07:37, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
> So I decided to take a stab at making my own blog for pharo and making
> my own website for my projects and my work , you can find my blog here
>
> http://www.kilon-alios.com/subpages/blog/index.html
>
> Does not have much content, but there is a blog post about my latest
> project Octopus . Hope you like it , stay tune for more :)

Re: [ANN] New Pharo blog - "Pharo Trek"

kilon.alios
You want me to use it or help you out ? I could give you the bootstrap templates.
With mustache you can make amazing websites.

Personally I am happy with Octopus, everything looks fine, I am already using Pillar efficiently.

What I could improve is the automatic generation of blog posts. Time wise however I seriously need to go back to Unreal and figure out how to make my shared memory bridge with Pharo work. I am done with this and happy with the result.

I did not use ecstatic because of lack of documentation. I was not also convinced that would make my life easier. I live the name though :)
On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 at 00:45, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

dimitris

may be you should have a look at ecstatic.

We should migrate it to the latest version of Pillar but our ideas was to use pillar to produce static web site.

http://guillep.github.io/ecstatic/

The web site of guille is produced with ecstatic https://guillep.github.io/research.html If you could give a try and give feedback it would be nice. I'm building new components to get publication lists integrated into it.

Stef

Le 25/10/16 à 20:47, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
Thanks Offray

My "backend" is Octopus and Pillar so 100% Pharo :) But I do edit the final Html, mainly fine tuning. Pillar and Octopus deal with the long text and generate the appropriate HTML.
The blog and website are static because they are hosted by Gitlab and only static website generators are allowed, not that I need something more I am very happy with the simplicity of it.
The templates I use are bootsrap from getboostrap website.

I will keep improving them, but for now I am very happy with the end result

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Seems nice. Which back end do you use for your website?

Cheers,

Offray

On 25/10/16 07:37, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
> So I decided to take a stab at making my own blog for pharo and making
> my own website for my projects and my work , you can find my blog here
>
> http://www.kilon-alios.com/subpages/blog/index.html
>
> Does not have much content, but there is a blog post about my latest
> project Octopus . Hope you like it , stay tune for more :)

Re: [ANN] New Pharo blog - "Pharo Trek"

stepharo

You want me to use it or help you out ?

The way you want.
Trying and telling us if you succeed.

I could give you the bootstrap templates.
With mustache you can make amazing websites.

Yes it would be great to have more templates.
Personally I am happy with Octopus, everything looks fine, I am already using Pillar efficiently.
Cool.
What I could improve is the automatic generation of blog posts. Time wise however I seriously need to go back to Unreal and figure out how to make my shared memory bridge with Pharo work. I am done with this and happy with the result.

I did not use ecstatic because of lack of documentation. I was not also convinced that would make my life easier. I live the name though :)

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 at 00:45, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

dimitris

may be you should have a look at ecstatic.

We should migrate it to the latest version of Pillar but our ideas was to use pillar to produce static web site.

http://guillep.github.io/ecstatic/

The web site of guille is produced with ecstatic https://guillep.github.io/research.html If you could give a try and give feedback it would be nice. I'm building new components to get publication lists integrated into it.

Stef

Le 25/10/16 à 20:47, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
Thanks Offray

My "backend" is Octopus and Pillar so 100% Pharo :) But I do edit the final Html, mainly fine tuning. Pillar and Octopus deal with the long text and generate the appropriate HTML.
The blog and website are static because they are hosted by Gitlab and only static website generators are allowed, not that I need something more I am very happy with the simplicity of it.
The templates I use are bootsrap from getboostrap website.

I will keep improving them, but for now I am very happy with the end result

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Seems nice. Which back end do you use for your website?

Cheers,

Offray

On 25/10/16 07:37, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
> So I decided to take a stab at making my own blog for pharo and making
> my own website for my projects and my work , you can find my blog here
>
> http://www.kilon-alios.com/subpages/blog/index.html
>
> Does not have much content, but there is a blog post about my latest
> project Octopus . Hope you like it , stay tune for more :)

Re: [ANN] New Pharo blog - "Pharo Trek"

stepharo

What is octopus?

Because what you can do with ecstatic (and this is written in the doc) is that you can see you website before publishing it.

There is also a simple blog post. And it is easy to use.

Stef

http://guillep.github.io/ecstatic/install.html

http://guillep.github.io/ecstatic/first_site.html

http://guillep.github.io/ecstatic/fast_feedback.html

Le 26/10/16 à 01:58, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
You want me to use it or help you out ? I could give you the bootstrap templates.
With mustache you can make amazing websites.

Personally I am happy with Octopus, everything looks fine, I am already using Pillar efficiently.

What I could improve is the automatic generation of blog posts. Time wise however I seriously need to go back to Unreal and figure out how to make my shared memory bridge with Pharo work. I am done with this and happy with the result.

I did not use ecstatic because of lack of documentation. I was not also convinced that would make my life easier. I live the name though :)
On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 at 00:45, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

dimitris

may be you should have a look at ecstatic.

We should migrate it to the latest version of Pillar but our ideas was to use pillar to produce static web site.

http://guillep.github.io/ecstatic/

The web site of guille is produced with ecstatic https://guillep.github.io/research.html If you could give a try and give feedback it would be nice. I'm building new components to get publication lists integrated into it.

Stef

Le 25/10/16 à 20:47, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
Thanks Offray

My "backend" is Octopus and Pillar so 100% Pharo :) But I do edit the final Html, mainly fine tuning. Pillar and Octopus deal with the long text and generate the appropriate HTML.
The blog and website are static because they are hosted by Gitlab and only static website generators are allowed, not that I need something more I am very happy with the simplicity of it.
The templates I use are bootsrap from getboostrap website.

I will keep improving them, but for now I am very happy with the end result

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Seems nice. Which back end do you use for your website?

Cheers,

Offray

On 25/10/16 07:37, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
> So I decided to take a stab at making my own blog for pharo and making
> my own website for my projects and my work , you can find my blog here
>
> http://www.kilon-alios.com/subpages/blog/index.html
>
> Does not have much content, but there is a blog post about my latest
> project Octopus . Hope you like it , stay tune for more :)

Re: [ANN] New Pharo blog - "Pharo Trek"

Jimmie Houchin-5

I look forward to giving Ecstatic a try. Much to learn first.

dynamically  is misspelled as  dinamically on the fast_feedback page.

Thanks.

Jimmie Houchin

On 10/26/2016 10:50 AM, stepharo wrote:

What is octopus?

Because what you can do with ecstatic (and this is written in the doc) is that you can see you website before publishing it.

There is also a simple blog post. And it is easy to use.

Stef

http://guillep.github.io/ecstatic/install.html

http://guillep.github.io/ecstatic/first_site.html

http://guillep.github.io/ecstatic/fast_feedback.html

Le 26/10/16 à 01:58, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
You want me to use it or help you out ? I could give you the bootstrap templates.
With mustache you can make amazing websites.

Personally I am happy with Octopus, everything looks fine, I am already using Pillar efficiently.

What I could improve is the automatic generation of blog posts. Time wise however I seriously need to go back to Unreal and figure out how to make my shared memory bridge with Pharo work. I am done with this and happy with the result.

I did not use ecstatic because of lack of documentation. I was not also convinced that would make my life easier. I live the name though :)
On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 at 00:45, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

dimitris

may be you should have a look at ecstatic.

We should migrate it to the latest version of Pillar but our ideas was to use pillar to produce static web site.

http://guillep.github.io/ecstatic/

The web site of guille is produced with ecstatic https://guillep.github.io/research.html If you could give a try and give feedback it would be nice. I'm building new components to get publication lists integrated into it.

Stef

Le 25/10/16 à 20:47, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
Thanks Offray

My "backend" is Octopus and Pillar so 100% Pharo :) But I do edit the final Html, mainly fine tuning. Pillar and Octopus deal with the long text and generate the appropriate HTML.
The blog and website are static because they are hosted by Gitlab and only static website generators are allowed, not that I need something more I am very happy with the simplicity of it.
The templates I use are bootsrap from getboostrap website.

I will keep improving them, but for now I am very happy with the end result

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Seems nice. Which back end do you use for your website?

Cheers,

Offray

On 25/10/16 07:37, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
> So I decided to take a stab at making my own blog for pharo and making
> my own website for my projects and my work , you can find my blog here
>
> http://www.kilon-alios.com/subpages/blog/index.html
>
> Does not have much content, but there is a blog post about my latest
> project Octopus . Hope you like it , stay tune for more :)

Re: [ANN] New Pharo blog - "Pharo Trek"

kilon.alios
Octopus is just a hack basically you cut or copy a selected texted text with pillar syntax and when you paste it back instead of the same pillar text it pastes the text converted to HTML. Essentially it allows me to write pillar inside a HTML file and have it converted lively. Far more Pharo like than using the command line ;)

I am not a fan of the command line as you may have guessed

More info can be found here

http://www.kilon-alios.com/subpages/blog/blogposts/20161021-Octopus-post.html

I am currently using emacs because as editor it rocks and has excellent support for both Pharo and Pillar (thanks to Damien)

You can say I am obsessed with making Pharo communicate, manipulate and cooperate external Applications. Only this time I did not use sockets but the clipboard. But yeah if it works it works .

I also installed a Firefox plugin that auto refreshes the webpage every time it changes, again similar to live coding. Each time I make a commit to the git repo the website gets published. Sometimes like I did 10 minutes ago I edit my HTML files directly from inside GitLab web front if it is a minor edit, or I am away from my iMac on my iPad , where I cannot have Pharo, emacs and pillar.

So in short Octopus is live coding HTML via Pillar but Pharo style ;)