[ANN} New "Tentative" Squeak3.11.alpha.7161.image

[ANN} New "Tentative" Squeak3.11.alpha.7161.image

Edgar J. De Cleene
Folks:

I just cook the first Squeak3.11.alpha.7161.image , following my idea of
going towards MinimalMorphic starting from a normal Squeak and ripping from
the top.

Now I successful reorganize Nebraska, create new version of
BookMorphandFriends-edc.1.mcz and EToys-StarSqueak-edc.1.mcz for download
this (and load again for people who needs)

Facts:
Smalltalk size 1495

For Squeak3.10.gamma.7159.image
Smalltalk size  1947

For MinimalMorphic.19
Smalltalk size   1278

Edgar

Re: [ANN} New "Tentative" Squeak3.11.alpha.7161.image

NorbertHartl

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 11:22 -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I just cook the first Squeak3.11.alpha.7161.image , following my idea of
> going towards MinimalMorphic starting from a normal Squeak and ripping from
> the top.

Is there any reason for putting the 3.11 image into the 3.10
folder on ftp.squeak.org?

Norbert

El 2/13/08 11:24 AM, "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Is there any reason for putting the 3.11 image into the 3.10
> folder on ftp.squeak.org?
>
> Norbert

It's only a way of have the image on a reliable server and until new folders
for 3dot11.
I have variable IP and not a very reliable cable modem ISP.
Still is a "tentative" as DS or MC2 is not ready yet.
And several things still in discussion.
As example:
Traits or not Traits ?
:= or <- ?

We should try to have all updates in others forks (Sophie, Croquet, OLPC,
SmallLand, etc) in a common base Squeak ?

I still don't put 7161 on ftp as I wish polish procedure for any could do in
.cs update form.
ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 is the new class for this.

The image is stable until now.

Edgar

Re: [ANN} New "Tentative" Squeak3.11.alpha.7161.image

SergeStinckwich
Edgar J. De Cleene a écrit :

> Folks:
>
> I just cook the first Squeak3.11.alpha.7161.image , following my idea of
> going towards MinimalMorphic starting from a normal Squeak and ripping from
> the top.
>
> Now I successful reorganize Nebraska, create new version of
> BookMorphandFriends-edc.1.mcz and EToys-StarSqueak-edc.1.mcz for download
> this (and load again for people who needs)
>
> Facts:
> Smalltalk size 1495
>
> For Squeak3.10.gamma.7159.image
> Smalltalk size  1947
>
> For MinimalMorphic.19
> Smalltalk size   1278
>
> Edgar

Is there any interests to have a clean 3.10 Squeak release (Welcome
text, tar balls for every platform, press realeases, ...) before any new
work ? Could we setup a small team in order to do that ?

Thank you,
--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.free.fr

Re: [ANN} New "Tentative" Squeak3.11.alpha.7161.image

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 2/14/08 5:04 AM, "Serge Stinckwich" <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> Is there any interests to have a clean 3.10 Squeak release (Welcome
> text, tar balls for every platform, press realeases, ...) before any new
> work ? Could we setup a small team in order to do that ?
>
> Thank you,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> http://doesnotunderstand.free.fr
 Of course !
Very glad to hear of you.
I think about the Welcome window  text http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6026.
As I said before , to this text I wish add the following info.

======
3dot10 is the first "official" release without some packages , in the road
to successive less complex images .
The target is going towards MininimalMorphic > Kernel > Spoon in next
releases.

This one don't have the following packages 3.9 have
#('Flash' 'StarSqueak' 'SmaCC' 'Speech' 'Movies' 'FixUnderscores' 'OB'
'OmniBrowser' )

For easier user expererience, you have now Universes of Lex Spoon.
With it, you could load many external packages with active development.

For older or not in the Universes, you still have SqueakMap and could go to
http://www.squeaksource.com/ using a regular web browser like Firefox,
locate the package and add to MonticelloBrowser.
As example , for Installer of Keith Hodges is
http://www.squeaksource.com/Installer.
For Universes is http://www.squeaksource.com/universes.

This way you could load newer versions of your favorite

Quality control.
We now this is not perfect, but we have more of 2200 test which was run
under Mac OS X, Windows XP, and SimplyMepis 6.5 Linux each time a [BUG] or
[ENH] report on Mantis met our requirements and go to update stream.

Mantis
To this day, the way of Squeak could be better is doing Mantis report
http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/johnson/squeak/ReportingIssues.html

The 3dot10 team
Ralph Johnson
Edgar J. De Cleene

And the following list of "Ferrari team" workers nicknames in Mantis
franksergeant gokr wiz Dionisiy al andreas matthewf Damien Cassou rr wbk
mathk dse MarcusDenker kwl black hangal johnpf bergel dpollet Krivanek
loewis Keith_Hodges gilEgozi sumi haleden sge thams nicolas cellier johnmci

=======

To all, very thanks for your work.
To Ralph, whatever unknown force you to leave, I with you, as I said
private, no money could pay the honor to work with you and learn a little.

Edgar

Re: [ANN} New "Tentative" Squeak3.11.alpha.7161.image

stephane ducasse

> It's only a way of have the image on a reliable server and until new
> folders
> for 3dot11.
> I have variable IP and not a very reliable cable modem ISP.
> Still is a "tentative" as DS or MC2 is not ready yet.
> And several things still in discussion.
> As example:
> Traits or not Traits ?

are you REALLY implying that you question the use of := as assignment
in Smalltalk?

> := or <- ?

Really the more I hear about squeak the less I'm concerned and I'm
becoming really sad.

El 2/14/08 9:25 AM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> are you REALLY implying that you question the use of := as assignment
> in Smalltalk?
I don't question any !

Only remembering last discussion or important things.

Some people say := is important (compatibility with others Smalltalks )
Some people say some kind of arrow "<-" is "pure Samlltaks"

We have the opportunity of vote and remade .sources (we should have a new
sources anyway, so maybe is time to go UTF-8 , etc)

> Really the more I hear about squeak the less I'm concerned and I'm
> becoming really sad.

I suppose you have a terrible life if any time someone say some you become
sad or sick.
Wish you take a good glass of wine and have relax , nothing change as nobody
(to my knowledge)  is working on this

Regards

Edgar