[ANN] New inspector as default in your Pharo9 image!

[ANN] New inspector as default in your Pharo9 image!

Esteban Lorenzano
Hi all,

Today we are introducing our new inspector based on NewTools.
This is part of our effort to replace all old tools (some based on Glamour, some based on Spec1 and some others in plain Morphic) to meet same design guidelines and prepare them for the future of the Pharo IDE.
Next weeks we will integrate the new Spotter, which will be the end of the Glamour migration effort. Some work on migrating Iceberg and other Spec1 tools are on its way (and they will be merged as soon as work reach beta status)

The most important changes for the new inspector are the inclusion of object-centric breakpoints, that apply only for the inspected object:

- Right click on any instance variable in the raw view shows a menu to install a breakpoint on accesses to that variable: the execution will break whenever this variable is read, written or both (this is configurable) but only for the inspected object.
- Right click on any method in the "Meta" view shows a menu to install a breakpoint on that method: the execution will break when that method is called but only for the inspected object.
- The toolbar shows a button to configure a breakpoint on state access for the inspected object: the execution will break whenever any instance variable of the object is accessed (read, write or both and configurable) but only for the inspected object.
- The breakpoint pane shows all breakpoints installed for the inspected object and for all other instances of the object's class. Use this pane to deactivate or to uninstall object-centric breakpoints.

Cheers!
Esteban

ps: Yes, there will be bugs (maybe a lot) and missing inspector extensions. I'm counting on you to report (or/and helping implement it)

Re: [ANN] New inspector as default in your Pharo9 image!

Tudor Girba-2
Congratulations!

It so cool to see that you preserved moldability. Even more exciting is to see the object breakpoints working. This will make such a difference.

Awesome work.

Cheers,
Doru

--
feenk.com

"Innovation comes in the least expected form.
That is, if it is expected, it already happened."