[ANN] New installation procedures for Magma

[ANN] New installation procedures for Magma

Chris Muller-4
I am pleased to announce new packaging and configuration for the
upcoming Magma 1.2 release, as well as future releases.

About MaBase
------------------
Magma requires several prerequisite packages.  These are now all kept
in a SqueakSource project called "MaBase".  This is the base-layer for
all projects from Muller Automation, such as Magma, Maui, Ma client
server, Banyan, and others, and includes packages up-to and including
"Ma object serialization".

SqueakSource
-----------------
The source code for Magma is still hosted on SqueakSource under the
"Magma" project.  Thanks to new load-scripts, I no longer need to
duplicate the base-layer packages in this squeaksource project.

Good-bye, MagmaTester
-----------------------------
"MagmaTester" has nothing to do with the the Magma test cases; it was
just a sort of "Inbox" where Magma contributors could place their
submissions.  But there hasn't been a lot of activity from others in
that project so, unless there is objection, I intend to delete the
project.

Load-scripts
------------
Installing Magma is now similar to other projects, by using a
load-script.  These load-scripts are documented in SqueakMap, and
allow the same one-click loading convenience that has always existed
(or, at least, intended!) for Magma.

These scripts are more robust than what I have been using, because
they allow loading of specific configuration of packages known to work
together, as well as the latest code.  And, when loading the latest
code, (a.k.a., the "head" release), it does so in a fashion just like
the Squeak trunk update mechanism; it merges into the image without
overwriting any local changes, allowing collaboration to occur.

For more details, please see:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657

Re: [ANN] New installation procedures for Magma

Igor Stasenko
On 17 February 2011 22:42, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am pleased to announce new packaging and configuration for the
> upcoming Magma 1.2 release, as well as future releases.
>
> About MaBase
> ------------------
> Magma requires several prerequisite packages.  These are now all kept
> in a SqueakSource project called "MaBase".  This is the base-layer for
> all projects from Muller Automation, such as Magma, Maui, Ma client
> server, Banyan, and others, and includes packages up-to and including
> "Ma object serialization".
>
> SqueakSource
> -----------------
> The source code for Magma is still hosted on SqueakSource under the
> "Magma" project.  Thanks to new load-scripts, I no longer need to
> duplicate the base-layer packages in this squeaksource project.
>
> Good-bye, MagmaTester
> -----------------------------
> "MagmaTester" has nothing to do with the the Magma test cases; it was
> just a sort of "Inbox" where Magma contributors could place their
> submissions.  But there hasn't been a lot of activity from others in
> that project so, unless there is objection, I intend to delete the
> project.

So, where you will store experimental code then? In main repository?

> Load-scripts
> ------------
> Installing Magma is now similar to other projects, by using a
> load-script.  These load-scripts are documented in SqueakMap, and
> allow the same one-click loading convenience that has always existed
> (or, at least, intended!) for Magma.
>
> These scripts are more robust than what I have been using, because
> they allow loading of specific configuration of packages known to work
> together, as well as the latest code.  And, when loading the latest
> code, (a.k.a., the "head" release), it does so in a fashion just like
> the Squeak trunk update mechanism; it merges into the image without
> overwriting any local changes, allowing collaboration to occur.

Cool.

> For more details, please see:
>
>  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [ANN] New installation procedures for Magma

Chris Muller-4
>> Good-bye, MagmaTester
>> -----------------------------
>> "MagmaTester" has nothing to do with the the Magma test cases; it was
>> just a sort of "Inbox" where Magma contributors could place their
>> submissions.  But there hasn't been a lot of activity from others in
>> that project so, unless there is objection, I intend to delete the
>> project.
>>

> So, where you will store experimental code then? In main repository?

Well, that's a good question.  If there is still interest in having a
place for experimental code, I am in full support of that.

Just thinking aloud...  I can still maintain control over the
"official" load-scripts (e.g., in SqueakMap).  These scripts
ultimately point to a specific set of package versions of my choosing,
that may or may not include experimental code that I've merged.

OTOH, the "Inbox" pattern of contribution seems to be a successful
pattern of development happening in Squeak.  I see no reason not to
keep that for the Magma project as well..

Re: [ANN] New installation procedures for Magma

fvozzi
Very cool!!

I'm going to test it soon.

Thanks you Chris,
FV

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mariano Martinez Peck
Chris, can you provide an image that already has Magma (client and server) loaded ?  kind of one-click, but with just an image is enough
It would be very useful for newcomers.

thanks

mariano