[ANN] Next Pharo release moved to end of year

[ANN] Next Pharo release moved to end of year

EstebanLM
Hi all,

After some analysis of current condition of development, we decided to move the upcoming release to end of the year (and not May, as usual).
The reason is that we are taking more time than expected to finish/polish a quantity of things that needs to be finish to call this a “successful release” to make us feel confortable with a release early this year.

Thing is… we were very ambitious with this version, because a lot of small pieces get into position and we decided to act.
Now, to deliver a good version, we need to finish them.

For example, along with all the stabilisation phase we need to operate on P7 (an usual task for every version), we still need to finish this important changes:

- fullblocks as default
- vm 64bits: stabilise and add win64
- stateful traits
- calypso (and nautilus removal)
- iceberg: fix the UI

We (the core team and the community) have a deep commitment with the progress of Pharo, and we will continue get things right to make the continue improvement a pleasant experience.

Say that, expect new announcement of things finished and ready to test next weeks :)

cheers!
Esteban

Re: [ANN] Next Pharo release moved to end of year

Stephan Eggermont-3
Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After some analysis of current condition of development, we decided to
> move the upcoming release to end of the year (and not May, as usual).

Thanks for the clear and timely decision. Having to delay is never nice,
but with a high innovation rate comes a higher risk. Denial helps noone,
keep up the good work!

Stephan

Re: [ANN] Next Pharo release moved to end of year

Rafael Luque
Hi Esteban,

If it would possible to identify some tickets in FogBuz affordable for less expererienced smalltalkers,
I think several devs here at Osoco (and other organizations) could contribute with the Pharo development.

I know It would be a small help, but it's better than nothing.

Rafa

wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After some analysis of current condition of development, we decided to
> move the upcoming release to end of the year (and not May, as usual).

Thanks for the clear and timely decision. Having to delay is never nice,
but with a high innovation rate comes a higher risk. Denial helps noone,
keep up the good work!

Stephan

Re: [ANN] Next Pharo release moved to end of year

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi Rafael

Yes we will get such as list.

Stef

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:21 AM, Rafael Luque
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Esteban,
>
> If it would possible to identify some tickets in FogBuz affordable for less
> expererienced smalltalkers,
> I think several devs here at Osoco (and other organizations) could
> contribute with the Pharo development.
>
> I know It would be a small help, but it's better than nothing.
>
> Rafa

>> Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > After some analysis of current condition of development, we decided to
>> > move the upcoming release to end of the year (and not May, as usual).
>>
>> Thanks for the clear and timely decision. Having to delay is never nice,
>> but with a high innovation rate comes a higher risk. Denial helps noone,
>> keep up the good work!
>>
>> Stephan

Re: [ANN] Next Pharo release moved to end of year

philippe.back@highoctane.be
Sounds like a realistic plan.
Good to read that.

I have the impression that Pharo 3, Pharo 5, Pharo 7 will be the solid releases.

Are we having a pattern here?

Phil

cheers!
Esteban

cheers!
Esteban

Esteban

Re: [ANN] Next Pharo release moved to end of year

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi

I'm starting to tag issue with difficulty-Easy