[ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

12

[ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

Romain Robbes
Dear Pharo users,

OCompletion is an extension to ECompletion. Like ECompletion, it
completes
the names of methods  as you write them in order to save you some
typing.
The O in OCompletion stands for Omniscient and Omnipresent.

OCompletion is much more accurate than ECompletion. We tested it on the
development history of several projects
(see http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes/papers/ASE2008-completion.pdf).

Across several hundred thousands tests of the completion, OCompletion's
algorithm scores a 70 (out of 100), while the eCompletion's algorithm
scores a 12. To achieve this level of accuracy, it learns from your
usage
of squeak and proposes to you methods you are more likely to use.

OCompletion shows a small, non-instrusive completion menu with potential
completions as you type method names. You don't need to call it
explicitely
with tab. Just press tab to insert a match, or the down arrow to
select the next
match.

To install it on Squeak or Pharo, simply execute the following line in
your image:

Installer squeaksource project: 'OCompletion'; install: 'OCLoader'

Cheers,
        Romain

--
Romain Robbes
http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks a lot romain.
Does OCompletion take into account that the receiver is a class (to
look for class method only)?

Stef
On May 12, 2009, at 10:07 AM, Romain Robbes wrote:

> Dear Pharo users,
>
> OCompletion is an extension to ECompletion. Like ECompletion, it
> completes
> the names of methods  as you write them in order to save you some
> typing.
> The O in OCompletion stands for Omniscient and Omnipresent.
>
> OCompletion is much more accurate than ECompletion. We tested it on
> the
> development history of several projects
> (see http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes/papers/ASE2008-
> completion.pdf).
>
> Across several hundred thousands tests of the completion,
> OCompletion's
> algorithm scores a 70 (out of 100), while the eCompletion's algorithm
> scores a 12. To achieve this level of accuracy, it learns from your
> usage
> of squeak and proposes to you methods you are more likely to use.
>
> OCompletion shows a small, non-instrusive completion menu with
> potential
> completions as you type method names. You don't need to call it
> explicitely
> with tab. Just press tab to insert a match, or the down arrow to
> select the next
> match.
>
> To install it on Squeak or Pharo, simply execute the following line in
> your image:
>
> Installer squeaksource project: 'OCompletion'; install: 'OCLoader'
>
> Cheers,
> Romain
>
> --
> Romain Robbes
> http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

Romain Robbes
Not yet. In the paper we showed that it raises the score from 70 to
75, which is not so big compared to the previous improvement.

But that's always doable. ;-)

        Romain

On May 12, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Romain Robbes wrote:

> Not yet. In the paper we showed that it raises the score from 70 to
> 75, which is not so big compared to the previous improvement.
>
> But that's always doable. ;-)

:)

I found that this was really frustrating not to get class methods :)

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

Damien Cassou
Hi Romain,

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Romain Robbes
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> To install it on Squeak or Pharo, simply execute the following line in
> your image:
>
> Installer squeaksource project: 'OCompletion'; install: 'OCLoader'

thank you very much, this is great news. Could you please create a
package on Universes? How-to: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5899

Does it work on OB (see ECompletionOmniBrowser)? and what about the
workspace ? Does it work with traits too (see ECompletionTraits)?

Thank you

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

Romain Robbes
Hi Damien,

Yes, it also works on OmniBrowser, and in the Workspace too.
I suppose it works also with Traits, but I haven't tried.

Cheers,
        Romain

On May 13, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi Romain,
>
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Romain Robbes
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> To install it on Squeak or Pharo, simply execute the following line
>> in
>> your image:
>>
>> Installer squeaksource project: 'OCompletion'; install: 'OCLoader'
>
> thank you very much, this is great news. Could you please create a
> package on Universes? How-to: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5899
>
> Does it work on OB (see ECompletionOmniBrowser)? and what about the
> workspace ? Does it work with traits too (see ECompletionTraits)?
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Romain Robbes
http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

Tudor Girba-3
Hi,

I have been using OCompletion since a day and I like it's non-
intrusive smartness :).

I have two style comments:
- I would perhaps change is the background color of the hint to be
something less ... Squeak-ish :).
- The font of the hints is not affected by my overall font settings.
Perhaps using the balloon-help font would work better.

Cheers,
Doru

On 13 May 2009, at 16:07, Romain Robbes wrote:

> Hi Damien,
>
> Yes, it also works on OmniBrowser, and in the Workspace too.
> I suppose it works also with Traits, but I haven't tried.
>
> Cheers,
> Romain
>
> On May 13, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:
>
>> Hi Romain,
>>
>> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Romain Robbes
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> To install it on Squeak or Pharo, simply execute the following line
>>> in
>>> your image:
>>>
>>> Installer squeaksource project: 'OCompletion'; install: 'OCLoader'
>>
>> thank you very much, this is great news. Could you please create a
>> package on Universes? How-to: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5899
>>
>> Does it work on OB (see ECompletionOmniBrowser)? and what about the
>> workspace ? Does it work with traits too (see ECompletionTraits)?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>> popular by not having them." James Iry

> Romain Robbes
> http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

www.tudorgirba.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

Romain Robbes
Hi Doru,

Thanks for the feedback! So far I have mainly kept the style that
comes with eCompletion, but I'll look into it.

Cheers,
        Romain

On May 13, 2009, at 11:52 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using OCompletion since a day and I like it's non-
> intrusive smartness :).
>
> I have two style comments:
> - I would perhaps change is the background color of the hint to be
> something less ... Squeak-ish :).
> - The font of the hints is not affected by my overall font settings.
> Perhaps using the balloon-help font would work better.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 13 May 2009, at 16:07, Romain Robbes wrote:
>
>> Hi Damien,
>>
>> Yes, it also works on OmniBrowser, and in the Workspace too.
>> I suppose it works also with Traits, but I haven't tried.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Romain
>>
>> On May 13, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Romain,

>>> thank you very much, this is great news. Could you please create a
>>> package on Universes? How-to: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5899
>>>
>>> Does it work on OB (see ECompletionOmniBrowser)? and what about the
>>> workspace ? Does it work with traits too (see ECompletionTraits)?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>>> popular by not having them." James Iry

>> --
>> Romain Robbes
>> http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Value is always contextual."

Romain Robbes
http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

Mariano Martinez Peck
Wow!!! What an excellent job! This really help us. I hope you continue with your work (although you have already finished the paper), add features and take into account the ideas others tell you.

In my opinion this could be in the Pharo dev image by default.

Again, congratulations for your work.

Mariano

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Romain Robbes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alexandre Bergel
> Yes, it also works on OmniBrowser, and in the Workspace too.

I see OCompletion in a debugger  (the standard one), but not in OB
(obtained from ScriptLoader loadOBAlpha).

Am i the only one?

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

Romain Robbes
Right now it works only if OCompletion is loaded after OB.
You need to execute:

OCompletionTable lookForOB

to get it to work.

        Romain

On May 14, 2009, at 10:45 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> Yes, it also works on OmniBrowser, and in the Workspace too.
>
> I see OCompletion in a debugger  (the standard one), but not in OB
> (obtained from ScriptLoader loadOBAlpha).
>
> Am i the only one?
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

>> On May 13, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Romain,

>>> thank you very much, this is great news. Could you please create a
>>> package on Universes? How-to: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5899
>>>
>>> Does it work on OB (see ECompletionOmniBrowser)? and what about the
>>> workspace ? Does it work with traits too (see ECompletionTraits)?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>>> popular by not having them." James Iry

>> --
>> Romain Robbes
>> http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Romain Robbes
http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

Ramon Leon-5
Just wanted to say, I've been using it for the past couple of days and
really like it; seems pretty accurate.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

Romain Robbes
Hernan,

Could you describe the symptoms more precisely? I was especially careful so that the completion should be actually faster
than the default one (ECompletion looks at all the symbols in the image, whereas OCompletion looks in a much more
restricted set of symbols), so I'm especially surprised of this.

Have you installed other packages in the same image that could cause this?

Cheers,
Romain

On May 14, 2009, at 11:37 PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:

I tried for two hours and I had to uninstall it because everything got really slow... I tried on the latests a pharo-dev image

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just wanted to say, I've been using it for the past couple of days and
really like it; seems pretty accurate.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

<ATT00001.txt>

2009/5/15 Romain Robbes <[hidden email]>:
> Could you describe the symptoms more precisely? I was especially careful so
> that the completion should be actually faster
> than the default one (ECompletion looks at all the symbols in the image,
> whereas OCompletion looks in a much more
> restricted set of symbols), so I'm especially surprised of this.
> Have you installed other packages in the same image that could cause this?

Since he uses pharo-dev, I guess Hernan has eCompletion too on his
image. Is that a problem?

2009/5/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> In my opinion this could be in the Pharo dev image by default.

Let me think... ok :-D

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

hernan.wilkinson
Yes, I tried it on a pharo-dev image. I thought that there could be a conflict between ecomp and ocomp but I also thought that ocomp would disable ecomp when loading... anyway, I did not have the time to check that so I went to the previous image.
(BTW I also tried to load ocomp on a pharo-core image and I could not because there is no Installer class. I could not either with the monticello brower... )

So, the performance issue was when typing class names. For example, I typed 'Ar' press tab and it took a lot to show the valid names. Selected Array and the started to delete it and it also took a lot of time to delete each character. I tried the same thing on an pharo-dev image without ocomp and worked fine... so there must be something going on.

Another thing that I found rare was this: When loading Ocomp I selected the packages Kernel, Collection and the one I'm working on. In a test class, when writing a test I wrote: "self as" and "assert:" was not in the options. I think it is because I did not select SUnit as a package, but I found this annoying... If I sending a message to self  I think it should show all the messages that object could understood (that is, the ones defined in the class I working with and it superclasses. Ok, object has a lot of messages that could bother here, but at least it show show the messages up to object minus one I think)

Hope this help.

Hernan.

2009/5/15 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>:
> Yes, I tried it on a pharo-dev image. I thought that there could be a
> conflict between ecomp and ocomp but I also thought that ocomp would disable
> ecomp when loading... anyway, I did not have the time to check that so I
> went to the previous image.

Try the very latest Pharo (please stop using the name pharo-dev (I
know I'm still doing it but that's a mistake :-))(this looks like
Lisp)) which now has OCompletion installed:
http://pharo-project.org/download.

> (BTW I also tried to load ocomp on a pharo-core image and I could not
> because there is no Installer class. I could not either with the monticello
> brower... )

Installer is not installed by default. ScriptLoader new installingInstaller.

> So, the performance issue was when typing class names. For example, I typed
> 'Ar' press tab and it took a lot to show the valid names. Selected Array and
> the started to delete it and it also took a lot of time to delete each
> character. I tried the same thing on an pharo-dev image without ocomp and
> worked fine... so there must be something going on.

Can't reproduce on latest Pharo.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

hernan.wilkinson
>Try the very latest Pharo (please stop using the name pharo-dev (I
>know I'm still doing it but that's a mistake :-))

ups... I'm confused... in previous mails I read that one image is Pharo-core, another pharo-dev and another pharo-web...
Why should we not make that distinction? sorry but I do not understand....

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/5/15 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>:
> Yes, I tried it on a pharo-dev image. I thought that there could be a
> conflict between ecomp and ocomp but I also thought that ocomp would disable
> ecomp when loading... anyway, I did not have the time to check that so I
> went to the previous image.

Try the very latest Pharo (please stop using the name pharo-dev (I
know I'm still doing it but that's a mistake :-))(this looks like
Lisp)) which now has OCompletion installed:
http://pharo-project.org/download.

> (BTW I also tried to load ocomp on a pharo-core image and I could not
> because there is no Installer class. I could not either with the monticello
> brower... )

Installer is not installed by default. ScriptLoader new installingInstaller.

> So, the performance issue was when typing class names. For example, I typed
> 'Ar' press tab and it took a lot to show the valid names. Selected Array and
> the started to delete it and it also took a lot of time to delete each
> character. I tried the same thing on an pharo-dev image without ocomp and
> worked fine... so there must be something going on.

Can't reproduce on latest Pharo.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] OCompletion improves the accuracy of eCompletion

Damien Cassou
2009/5/15 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>:
> ups... I'm confused... in previous mails I read that one image is
> Pharo-core, another pharo-dev and another pharo-web...
> Why should we not make that distinction? sorry but I do not understand....

This is not your fault, it's a bit complex :-). The ultimate truth is:

- Pharo-Core: a small core which only interests the Pharo-Core
developers and for deployment
- Pharo: based on Pharo-Core, you have a complete Smalltalk system for
developers

pharo-dev is the old name of Pharo and we should try to avoid using
it. Pharo-web is just a Pharo with Seaside, Magritte and Pier.

Bye