[ANN] Overlord, an IDE for GNU Smalltalk

[ANN] Overlord, an IDE for GNU Smalltalk

ZuLuuuuuu
Hello,

I am working on an IDE for GNU Smalltalk from time to time. It is called Overlord and it is a simple and classic class browser like gst-blox (so nothing new). It has come to a stage where it might have its usage for some people.

Besides the very very ugly coding, it lacks some major features like exporting capability, debugger and inspector. Also its text editor is just a text view for now... But you can do simple things like adding/editing/removing namespaces, classes, methods and it has syntax highlighting.

I haven't packaged it yet (actually I might need a help there I don't know how gst-blox or gst-browser executers are created) so here is a tarball:

http://www.canol.info/smalltalk/Overlord.tar.gz

To install:

1) Extract the tarball
2) cd ~/the-folder-you-extracted-into/Overlord (this is necessary)
3) gst ./Main.st

or

gst -I "the-path-to-image-you-want-to-open" ./Main.st

Here is a screencast to see it in action. I do a classic hello world web application example using Iliad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWArTTtsZ-0

Comments and contributions are welcome...
Canol Gökel

Re: [ANN] Overlord, an IDE for GNU Smalltalk

ZuLuuuuuu
Forgot to mention, special thanks to Paolo Bonzini and Gwenael Casaccio for their support through email group.
Canol Gökel

Re: [ANN] Overlord, an IDE for GNU Smalltalk

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 08/05/2011 11:17 AM, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:
> I haven't packaged it yet (actually I might need a help there I don't know
> how gst-blox or gst-browser executers are created) so here is a tarball:

They are wrappers around gst-load.  While gst-blox and gst-browser are
hard-coded in gst-tool.c, you can do the same with a shell script.
Put the content of Main.st in the <start></start> tag of the package.xml
file.  Then gst-overlord can be something like this:

---------------------------------- 8< ----------------------------------

#! /bin/sh
# Parse arguments into $ARGS
ARGS=$(getopt -l image-file:,kernel-directory:,verbose -o I:vV -- "$@")

# Exit if there was an error
test $? -ne 0 && exit 1

# Move arguments to "$@"
eval set -- "$ARGS"

# Fail if there were any non-option arguments
eval test \$$# = -- || exit 1

# Finally start the package
gst-load -n --start "$@" Overload

Re: [ANN] Overlord, an IDE for GNU Smalltalk

MrGwen
On 05/08/2011 11:17, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working on an IDE for GNU Smalltalk from time to time. It is called
> Overlord and it is a simple and classic class browser like gst-blox (so
> nothing new). It has come to a stage where it might have its usage for some
> people.
>
> Besides the very very ugly coding, it lacks some major features like
> exporting capability, debugger and inspector. Also its text editor is just a
> text view for now... But you can do simple things like
> adding/editing/removing namespaces, classes, methods and it has syntax
> highlighting.
>
> I haven't packaged it yet (actually I might need a help there I don't know
> how gst-blox or gst-browser executers are created) so here is a tarball:
>
> http://www.canol.info/smalltalk/Overlord.tar.gz
>
> To install:
>
> 1) Extract the tarball
> 2) cd ~/the-folder-you-extracted-into/Overlord (this is necessary)
> 3) gst ./Main.st
>
> or
>
> gst -I "the-path-to-image-you-want-to-open" ./Main.st
>
> Here is a screencast to see it in action. I do a classic hello world web
> application example using Iliad:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWArTTtsZ-0
>
> Comments and contributions are welcome...
>
> -----
> Canol Gökel
Hi Canol,

Nice to have a new ide for GST, but why haven't you consider improving
VisualGST ?
For instance your dialog for the class building is nice and I guess I
would add it,
why haven't you send a mail about the ide...

So we will have two inspectors, two transcripts, two workspaces ...

For instance the debugger of VisualGST could be improved send a patch,
have you looked at all the changes I've made for GTK in VisualGST
or at the GTK-Tools?

I guess we can work together to provide a better IDE at least I want that.

Cheers,
Gwen

Re: [ANN] Overlord, an IDE for GNU Smalltalk

ZuLuuuuuu
Paolo Bonzini-2 wrote
On 08/05/2011 11:17 AM, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:
> I haven't packaged it yet (actually I might need a help there I don't know
> how gst-blox or gst-browser executers are created) so here is a tarball:

They are wrappers around gst-load.  While gst-blox and gst-browser are
hard-coded in gst-tool.c, you can do the same with a shell script.
Put the content of Main.st in the <start></start> tag of the package.xml
file.  Then gst-overlord can be something like this:

---------------------------------- 8< ----------------------------------

#! /bin/sh
# Parse arguments into $ARGS
ARGS=$(getopt -l image-file:,kernel-directory:,verbose -o I:vV -- "$@")

# Exit if there was an error
test $? -ne 0 && exit 1

# Move arguments to "$@"
eval set -- "$ARGS"

# Fail if there were any non-option arguments
eval test \$$# = -- || exit 1

# Finally start the package
gst-load -n --start "$@" Overload

---------------------------------- 8< ----------------------------------

I'm not sure whether this use of getopt is portable to non-Linux systems
though.

Paolo
Thanks Paolo...
Canol Gökel

Re: [ANN] Overlord, an IDE for GNU Smalltalk

ZuLuuuuuu
MrGwen wrote
On 05/08/2011 11:17, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on an IDE for GNU Smalltalk from time to time. It is called
> Overlord and it is a simple and classic class browser like gst-blox (so
> nothing new). It has come to a stage where it might have its usage for some
> people.
>
> Besides the very very ugly coding, it lacks some major features like
> exporting capability, debugger and inspector. Also its text editor is just a
> text view for now... But you can do simple things like
> adding/editing/removing namespaces, classes, methods and it has syntax
> highlighting.
>
> I haven't packaged it yet (actually I might need a help there I don't know
> how gst-blox or gst-browser executers are created) so here is a tarball:
>
> http://www.canol.info/smalltalk/Overlord.tar.gz
>
> To install:
>
> 1) Extract the tarball
> 2) cd ~/the-folder-you-extracted-into/Overlord (this is necessary)
> 3) gst ./Main.st
>
> or
>
> gst -I "the-path-to-image-you-want-to-open" ./Main.st
>
> Here is a screencast to see it in action. I do a classic hello world web
> application example using Iliad:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWArTTtsZ-0
>
> Comments and contributions are welcome...
>
> -----
> Canol Gökel
Hi Canol,

Nice to have a new ide for GST, but why haven't you consider improving
VisualGST ?
For instance your dialog for the class building is nice and I guess I
would add it,
why haven't you send a mail about the ide...

So we will have two inspectors, two transcripts, two workspaces ...

For instance the debugger of VisualGST could be improved send a patch,
have you looked at all the changes I've made for GTK in VisualGST
or at the GTK-Tools?

I guess we can work together to provide a better IDE at least I want that.

Cheers,
Gwen
I started to code this IDE to learn more about reflection and how to create workspaces, transcripts etc. but VisualGST is a pretty big project and its codebase was pretty big so I decided to code one from scratch.

We can share code between the IDEs, I guess. I'll choose MIT or GNU or something like that (any suggestions?). And now that I know more about these stuff I might be able to contribute to VisualGST in the future.
Canol Gökel

On 05/08/2011 13:22, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:

> MrGwen wrote:
>> On 05/08/2011 11:17, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am working on an IDE for GNU Smalltalk from time to time. It is called
>>> Overlord and it is a simple and classic class browser like gst-blox (so
>>> nothing new). It has come to a stage where it might have its usage for
>>> some
>>> people.
>>>
>>> Besides the very very ugly coding, it lacks some major features like
>>> exporting capability, debugger and inspector. Also its text editor is
>>> just a
>>> text view for now... But you can do simple things like
>>> adding/editing/removing namespaces, classes, methods and it has syntax
>>> highlighting.
>>>
>>> I haven't packaged it yet (actually I might need a help there I don't
>>> know
>>> how gst-blox or gst-browser executers are created) so here is a tarball:
>>>
>>> http://www.canol.info/smalltalk/Overlord.tar.gz
>>>
>>> To install:
>>>
>>> 1) Extract the tarball
>>> 2) cd ~/the-folder-you-extracted-into/Overlord (this is necessary)
>>> 3) gst ./Main.st
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> gst -I "the-path-to-image-you-want-to-open" ./Main.st
>>>
>>> Here is a screencast to see it in action. I do a classic hello world web
>>> application example using Iliad:
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWArTTtsZ-0
>>>
>>> Comments and contributions are welcome...
>>>
>>> -----
>>> Canol Gökel
>>> --
>> Hi Canol,
>>
>> Nice to have a new ide for GST, but why haven't you consider improving
>> VisualGST ?
>> For instance your dialog for the class building is nice and I guess I
>> would add it,
>> why haven't you send a mail about the ide...
>>
>> So we will have two inspectors, two transcripts, two workspaces ...
>>
>> For instance the debugger of VisualGST could be improved send a patch,
>> have you looked at all the changes I've made for GTK in VisualGST
>> or at the GTK-Tools?
>>
>> I guess we can work together to provide a better IDE at least I want that.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Gwen
>>
> I started to code this IDE to learn more about reflection and how to create
> workspaces, transcripts etc. but VisualGST is a pretty big project and its
> codebase was pretty big so I decided to code one from scratch.
>
> We can share code between the IDEs, I guess. I'll choose MIT or GNU or
> something like that (any suggestions?). And now that I know more about these
> stuff I might be able to contribute to VisualGST in the future.
>
> -----
> Canol Gökel

Great Canol,  I know VisualGST is a big project, but if everybody
creates its own IDE
nothing will work for the *community*. For instance I've made a lot of
improvements
for GTK (menu creation, main window, ...) and everybody that want to
create a GTK apps
could reuse it (do you recall the treeview example I show you ?). Also
what is important is
to create a community around VisualGST (users/developers) to improve it.

Tomorrow I'll integrate the package and class builder in VisualGST.

Cheers,
Gwen

Re: [ANN] Overlord, an IDE for GNU Smalltalk

ZuLuuuuuu
I added some new functionality. The big one is being able to export projects as a folder, a tarball or a star package:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/overlordprojectexporter.png/

What it actually does is to export a namespace. It creates the package.xml file automatically from both class files created and the files you put into the destination folder beforehand. It can put a copyright notice to the beginning of the automatically created class files. The code resides in ExportProjectDialog.st and Overlord.st#cbExportProjectDialog:responseId: if you want to port it to VisualGST.

Besides this, classes and namespaces are now shown hierarchically. And you can now undo/redo on the text editor.

Download link is the same: