[ANN] PI

hernanmd
Hi,

PI is a MIT-pip-like command line program for Pharo Smalltalk. PI
stands for Pharo Install. It is written in bash and tested
successfully under MSYS and GNU/Linux.

Look for details in the GitHub repository:

https://github.com/hernanmd/pi

Try and play around, if you found any bugs or want to integrate new
feature, feel free to submit PR.

Cheers,

Hernán

Re: [ANN] PI

John Pfersich
Congrats! Looks really useful. Can’t wait to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone
Encrypted email at [hidden email]

> On Feb 17, 2018, at 23:23, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> PI is a MIT-pip-like command line program for Pharo Smalltalk. PI
> stands for Pharo Install. It is written in bash and tested
> successfully under MSYS and GNU/Linux.
>
> Look for details in the GitHub repository:
>
> https://github.com/hernanmd/pi
>
> Try and play around, if you found any bugs or want to integrate new
> feature, feel free to submit PR.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán

Re: [ANN] PI

hernanmd
Thanks, please let me know issues or ideas for enhacements.

I just uploaded a new version adding a search packages feature,
supporting both GitHub and SmalltalkHub repositories.

Cheers,

Hernán

> Congrats! Looks really useful. Can’t wait to try it out.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> Encrypted email at [hidden email]
>
>> On Feb 17, 2018, at 23:23, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> PI is a MIT-pip-like command line program for Pharo Smalltalk. PI
>> stands for Pharo Install. It is written in bash and tested
>> successfully under MSYS and GNU/Linux.
>>
>> Look for details in the GitHub repository:
>>
>> https://github.com/hernanmd/pi
>>
>> Try and play around, if you found any bugs or want to integrate new
>> feature, feel free to submit PR.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán

Re: [ANN] PI

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi Hernan,

It's not clear to me where the install happens. In the first available
image file at the same working directory where you executed the pi
command?

Also, I'd make it case-insensitive, and only complain if there is an
ambiguity in some name (which I think there isn't).

Thanks again!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> Thanks, please let me know issues or ideas for enhacements.
>
> I just uploaded a new version adding a search packages feature,
> supporting both GitHub and SmalltalkHub repositories.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán

>> Congrats! Looks really useful. Can’t wait to try it out.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> Encrypted email at [hidden email]
>>
>>> On Feb 17, 2018, at 23:23, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> PI is a MIT-pip-like command line program for Pharo Smalltalk. PI
>>> stands for Pharo Install. It is written in bash and tested
>>> successfully under MSYS and GNU/Linux.
>>>
>>> Look for details in the GitHub repository:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/hernanmd/pi
>>>
>>> Try and play around, if you found any bugs or want to integrate new
>>> feature, feel free to submit PR.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Hernán

Re: [ANN] PI

EstebanLM
hi,
this is also a good moment to remember all that you have the command “get” in Pharo.

./pharo Pharo.image get Seaside3

will install into the image the Seaside3 configuration from the catalog.

cheers!
Esteban

> On 19 Feb 2018, at 13:44, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Hernan,
>
> It's not clear to me where the install happens. In the first available
> image file at the same working directory where you executed the pi
> command?
>
> Also, I'd make it case-insensitive, and only complain if there is an
> ambiguity in some name (which I think there isn't).
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> Thanks, please let me know issues or ideas for enhacements.
>>
>> I just uploaded a new version adding a search packages feature,
>> supporting both GitHub and SmalltalkHub repositories.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán

>>> Congrats! Looks really useful. Can’t wait to try it out.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> Encrypted email at [hidden email]

Re: [ANN] PI

hernanmd
Hi Esteban,

> Hi Hernan,
>
> It's not clear to me where the install happens. In the first available
> image file at the same working directory where you executed the pi
> command?

The tool assumes now one image per directory, and the image located in
the same directory where the script is run.
Maybe I could add some interactivity if there is more than one image.

> Also, I'd make it case-insensitive, and only complain if there is an
> ambiguity in some name (which I think there isn't).

I tried but the problem was Metacello was expecting the case-sensitive
name to find the package to fetch.
Didn't look too much at it, but will open an issue.

Thank you for the feedback.

Hernán

> Thanks again!
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> Thanks, please let me know issues or ideas for enhacements.
>>
>> I just uploaded a new version adding a search packages feature,
>> supporting both GitHub and SmalltalkHub repositories.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán

>>> Congrats! Looks really useful. Can’t wait to try it out.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> Encrypted email at [hidden email]

Re: [ANN] PI

hernanmd
Hi Esteban

> hi,
> this is also a good moment to remember all that you have the command “get” in Pharo.
>
> ./pharo Pharo.image get Seaside3
>
> will install into the image the Seaside3 configuration from the catalog.

Please note that this is different from command line handlers.

The idea is to have a very simple and small CLI tool (10 KB script
now) for Pharo like:

pip install SomePackage
apt-get install SomePackage
yum install SomePackage
brew install SomePackage
gem install SomePackage
npm install SomePackage
etc

and support packages transparently in Catalog, SmalltalkHub or GitHub.

Actually PI tries to install first from Catalog and if failed to find
the package, then install from SmalltalkHub. Installing a package from
GitHub could be possible if an annotated/tagged script is included
inside the README.md page, what do you think?

We could work together to get a better connection with command line handlers.

Cheers,

Hernán

> cheers!
> Esteban
>
>> On 19 Feb 2018, at 13:44, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Hernan,
>>
>> It's not clear to me where the install happens. In the first available
>> image file at the same working directory where you executed the pi
>> command?
>>
>> Also, I'd make it case-insensitive, and only complain if there is an
>> ambiguity in some name (which I think there isn't).
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

>>> Thanks, please let me know issues or ideas for enhacements.
>>>
>>> I just uploaded a new version adding a search packages feature,
>>> supporting both GitHub and SmalltalkHub repositories.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Hernán

Re: [ANN] PI

John Pfersich
I tried running

pi install BioSmalltalk

again and it failed.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 2:56 PM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Esteban

> hi,
> this is also a good moment to remember all that you have the command “get” in Pharo.
>
> ./pharo Pharo.image get Seaside3
>
> will install into the image the Seaside3 configuration from the catalog.

Please note that this is different from command line handlers.

The idea is to have a very simple and small CLI tool (10 KB script
now) for Pharo like:

pip install SomePackage
apt-get install SomePackage
yum install SomePackage
brew install SomePackage
gem install SomePackage
npm install SomePackage
etc

and support packages transparently in Catalog, SmalltalkHub or GitHub.

Actually PI tries to install first from Catalog and if failed to find
the package, then install from SmalltalkHub. Installing a package from
GitHub could be possible if an annotated/tagged script is included
inside the README.md page, what do you think?

We could work together to get a better connection with command line handlers.

Cheers,

Hernán

> cheers!
> Esteban
>
>> On 19 Feb 2018, at 13:44, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Hernan,
>>
>> It's not clear to me where the install happens. In the first available
>> image file at the same working directory where you executed the pi
>> command?
>>
>> Also, I'd make it case-insensitive, and only complain if there is an
>> ambiguity in some name (which I think there isn't).
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

>>> Thanks, please let me know issues or ideas for enhacements.
>>>
>>> I just uploaded a new version adding a search packages feature,
>>> supporting both GitHub and SmalltalkHub repositories.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Hernán

Re: [ANN] PI

John Pfersich
I tried it, this time with

pi install OSProcess OSProcess-Examples

in case there was something wrong with BioSmalltalk

but I got the same result.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:39 PM, john pfersich <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried running

pi install BioSmalltalk

again and it failed.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 2:56 PM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Esteban

> hi,
> this is also a good moment to remember all that you have the command “get” in Pharo.
>
> ./pharo Pharo.image get Seaside3
>
> will install into the image the Seaside3 configuration from the catalog.

Please note that this is different from command line handlers.

The idea is to have a very simple and small CLI tool (10 KB script
now) for Pharo like:

pip install SomePackage
apt-get install SomePackage
yum install SomePackage
brew install SomePackage
gem install SomePackage
npm install SomePackage
etc

and support packages transparently in Catalog, SmalltalkHub or GitHub.

Actually PI tries to install first from Catalog and if failed to find
the package, then install from SmalltalkHub. Installing a package from
GitHub could be possible if an annotated/tagged script is included
inside the README.md page, what do you think?

We could work together to get a better connection with command line handlers.

Cheers,

Hernán

> cheers!
> Esteban
>
>> On 19 Feb 2018, at 13:44, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Hernan,
>>
>> It's not clear to me where the install happens. In the first available
>> image file at the same working directory where you executed the pi
>> command?
>>
>> Also, I'd make it case-insensitive, and only complain if there is an
>> ambiguity in some name (which I think there isn't).
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

>>> Thanks, please let me know issues or ideas for enhacements.
>>>
>>> I just uploaded a new version adding a search packages feature,
>>> supporting both GitHub and SmalltalkHub repositories.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Hernán

Re: [ANN] PI

hernanmd
Hi John,

> I tried it, this time with
>
> pi install OSProcess OSProcess-Examples

I tried looking at
http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/JohnPfersich/OSProcess-Examples but there
is no Configuration of OSProcess-Examples.

PI only works at Configuration level and not with individual packages.
It could be implemented of course but didn't had time to check if
there is a command line handler for installing a package.

> in case there was something wrong with BioSmalltalk
>
> but I got the same result.
>
> log is at
> https://objectnets-0001.ams3.digitaloceanspaces.com/test2.log

The command line handler I used was wrong, it was missing the
"install=" parameter but somehow it worked with other configurations.
Now I fixed and by default only installs stable versions.

If you want to install development versions this is not done yet. I
saw pip uses --pre for pre-release versions, like development
versions.

$ pip install --pre SomePackage

but it seems in this mode you should know the specific version to
pass: SomePackage>=3.1 (a Python user could confirm?)
I'm not convinced, is not fun to track development package versions if
you have to install dozens of packages. Also one could want to install
the development versions of everything, or bleeding edge, etc.

Definitely needs more testing!
Thank you for your feedback.

Cheers,

Hernán

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:39 PM, john pfersich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I tried running
>>
>> pi install BioSmalltalk
>>
>> again and it failed.
>>
>> log is at
>> https://objectnets-0001.ams3.digitaloceanspaces.com/biost2.log
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 2:56 PM, Hernán Morales Durand
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Esteban

>>> Please note that this is different from command line handlers.
>>>
>>> The idea is to have a very simple and small CLI tool (10 KB script
>>> now) for Pharo like:
>>>
>>> pip install SomePackage
>>> apt-get install SomePackage
>>> yum install SomePackage
>>> brew install SomePackage
>>> gem install SomePackage
>>> npm install SomePackage
>>> etc
>>>
>>> and support packages transparently in Catalog, SmalltalkHub or GitHub.
>>>
>>> Actually PI tries to install first from Catalog and if failed to find
>>> the package, then install from SmalltalkHub. Installing a package from
>>> GitHub could be possible if an annotated/tagged script is included
>>> inside the README.md page, what do you think?
>>>
>>> We could work together to get a better connection with command line
>>> handlers.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Hernán

Re: [ANN] PI