ANN: Periscope - Universal Navigation Sidebar for Nautilus

ANN: Periscope - Universal Navigation Sidebar for Nautilus

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi all,

I want to introduce a tool that, as I hope, may improve your Smalltalk
browsing experience. It is named Periscope and it is an universal
navigation sidebar for Nautilus that is common for all Nautilus
windows. It is snapped to the display edge as the topmost window.

Periscope uses a system of plugins written using Spec you may easily
improve and adapt it for your needs. Currently it contains only three
plugins created mainly for the demonstration. It is:
- Tools starters plugin
- Bookmarks plugin
- Behavior references plugin that show class or trait references of
the currently browsed class

Of course I can imagine a wide side of next plugins like Spotlight
plugin, instance variables plugin, method versions plugin, senders
etc. Really cool would be plugins that would show additional
information while writing code.

Please feel free to improve Periscope. I hope Ben will come with a lot
of new ideas and improvements.

To test Periscope take some recent 2.0 image and evaluate:

Gofer new
    smalltalkhubUser: 'PavelKrivanek' project: 'Periscope';
    package: 'Periscope';
    load.

Nautilus pluginClasses add: {(Smalltalk at: #NautilusPeriscopePlugin). #none}

...then open Nautilus or open Periscope from the tools menu.

Chees,
-- Pavel

PeriscopeScreenshot.png (182K) Download Attachment

Re: ANN: Periscope - Universal Navigation Sidebar for Nautilus

Stéphane Ducasse

On Aug 19, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to introduce a tool that, as I hope, may improve your Smalltalk
> browsing experience. It is named Periscope and it is an universal
> navigation sidebar for Nautilus that is common for all Nautilus
> windows. It is snapped to the display edge as the topmost window.
>
> Periscope uses a system of plugins written using Spec you may easily
> improve and adapt it for your needs. Currently it contains only three
> plugins created mainly for the demonstration. It is:
> - Tools starters plugin
        what it is?

> - Bookmarks plugin
> - Behavior references plugin that show class or trait references of
> the currently browsed class

I would love to have a view that should me in and out going reference when I click on a package :)

> Of course I can imagine a wide side of next plugins like Spotlight
> plugin, instance variables plugin, method versions plugin, senders
> etc. Really cool would be plugins that would show additional
> information while writing code.
>
> Please feel free to improve Periscope. I hope Ben will come with a lot
> of new ideas and improvements.
>
> To test Periscope take some recent 2.0 image and evaluate:
>
> Gofer new
>    smalltalkhubUser: 'PavelKrivanek' project: 'Periscope';
>    package: 'Periscope';
>    load.
>
> Nautilus pluginClasses add: {(Smalltalk at: #NautilusPeriscopePlugin). #none}
>
> ...then open Nautilus or open Periscope from the tools menu.

I like the name, next one should be radar or echo :)

> Chees,
> -- Pavel
> <PeriscopeScreenshot.png>

Re: ANN: Periscope - Universal Navigation Sidebar for Nautilus

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
That's really cool :)

I like it :)

On Aug 19, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to introduce a tool that, as I hope, may improve your Smalltalk
>> browsing experience. It is named Periscope and it is an universal
>> navigation sidebar for Nautilus that is common for all Nautilus
>> windows. It is snapped to the display edge as the topmost window.
>>
>> Periscope uses a system of plugins written using Spec you may easily
>> improve and adapt it for your needs. Currently it contains only three
>> plugins created mainly for the demonstration. It is:
>> - Tools starters plugin
> what it is?

A set of buttons to open a browser, a workspace, a test runner or a MC browser :)

>> - Bookmarks plugin
>> - Behavior references plugin that show class or trait references of
>> the currently browsed class
>

> I would love to have a view that should me in and out going reference when I click on a package :)

Without having a deep look at the implementation, I think it can be done quite easily :)

Just a little thing missing, a "remove" button for bookmarks :)
But clearly, I _LOVE_ bookmarks :)

Thanks,
Ben

>> Of course I can imagine a wide side of next plugins like Spotlight
>> plugin, instance variables plugin, method versions plugin, senders
>> etc. Really cool would be plugins that would show additional
>> information while writing code.
>>
>> Please feel free to improve Periscope. I hope Ben will come with a lot
>> of new ideas and improvements.
>>
>> To test Periscope take some recent 2.0 image and evaluate:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>   smalltalkhubUser: 'PavelKrivanek' project: 'Periscope';
>>   package: 'Periscope';
>>   load.
>>
>> Nautilus pluginClasses add: {(Smalltalk at: #NautilusPeriscopePlugin). #none}
>>
>> ...then open Nautilus or open Periscope from the tools menu.
>

> I like the name, next one should be radar or echo :)
>

>> Chees,
>> -- Pavel
>> <PeriscopeScreenshot.png>

Re: ANN: Periscope - Universal Navigation Sidebar for Nautilus

Pavel Krivanek-3
On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Benjamin
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's really cool :)
>
> I like it :)

Great! :-)

> On Aug 19, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On Aug 19, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I want to introduce a tool that, as I hope, may improve your Smalltalk
>>> browsing experience. It is named Periscope and it is an universal
>>> navigation sidebar for Nautilus that is common for all Nautilus
>>> windows. It is snapped to the display edge as the topmost window.
>>>
>>> Periscope uses a system of plugins written using Spec you may easily
>>> improve and adapt it for your needs. Currently it contains only three
>>> plugins created mainly for the demonstration. It is:
>>> - Tools starters plugin
>>       what it is?
>
> A set of buttons to open a browser, a workspace, a test runner or a MC browser :)
>
>>> - Bookmarks plugin
>>> - Behavior references plugin that show class or trait references of
>>> the currently browsed class
>>

>> I would love to have a view that should me in and out going reference when I click on a package :)
>
> Without having a deep look at the implementation, I think it can be done quite easily :)
>
> Just a little thing missing, a "remove" button for bookmarks :)
> But clearly, I _LOVE_ bookmarks :)

well, the latest version can remove them

> Thanks,
> Ben
>

>>> Of course I can imagine a wide side of next plugins like Spotlight
>>> plugin, instance variables plugin, method versions plugin, senders
>>> etc. Really cool would be plugins that would show additional
>>> information while writing code.
>>>
>>> Please feel free to improve Periscope. I hope Ben will come with a lot
>>> of new ideas and improvements.
>>>
>>> To test Periscope take some recent 2.0 image and evaluate:
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>>   smalltalkhubUser: 'PavelKrivanek' project: 'Periscope';
>>>   package: 'Periscope';
>>>   load.
>>>
>>> Nautilus pluginClasses add: {(Smalltalk at: #NautilusPeriscopePlugin). #none}
>>>
>>> ...then open Nautilus or open Periscope from the tools menu.
>>

>> I like the name, next one should be radar or echo :)
>>

>>> Chees,
>>> -- Pavel
>>> <PeriscopeScreenshot.png>

Re: ANN: Periscope - Universal Navigation Sidebar for Nautilus

Pavel Krivanek-3
On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to introduce a tool that, as I hope, may improve your Smalltalk
>> browsing experience. It is named Periscope and it is an universal
>> navigation sidebar for Nautilus that is common for all Nautilus
>> windows. It is snapped to the display edge as the topmost window.
>>
>> Periscope uses a system of plugins written using Spec you may easily
>> improve and adapt it for your needs. Currently it contains only three
>> plugins created mainly for the demonstration. It is:
>> - Tools starters plugin
>         what it is?
>
>> - Bookmarks plugin
>> - Behavior references plugin that show class or trait references of
>> the currently browsed class
>

> I would love to have a view that should me in and out going reference when I click on a package :)

It's doable but the list could be really long for some packages :-)

>> Of course I can imagine a wide side of next plugins like Spotlight
>> plugin, instance variables plugin, method versions plugin, senders
>> etc. Really cool would be plugins that would show additional
>> information while writing code.
>>
>> Please feel free to improve Periscope. I hope Ben will come with a lot
>> of new ideas and improvements.
>>
>> To test Periscope take some recent 2.0 image and evaluate:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>    smalltalkhubUser: 'PavelKrivanek' project: 'Periscope';
>>    package: 'Periscope';
>>    load.
>>
>> Nautilus pluginClasses add: {(Smalltalk at: #NautilusPeriscopePlugin). #none}
>>
>> ...then open Nautilus or open Periscope from the tools menu.
>

> I like the name, next one should be radar or echo :)

Sonar would be more fitting name for Nautilus :-)

-- Pavel