[ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

12

[ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

Adrian Lienhard
Hi all,

We are excited to announce the first Pharo 1.0 beta release.

A new Pharo image (and also Pharo-web image) can be downloaded from
the website:

http://pharo.cmsbox.ch/pharo-download

The corresponding version number of Pharo-core is #10401.

I'd like to thank all the people that have contributed to Pharo so far!

Have fun,
Adrian

BTW, I also wrote about Pharo and the beta release on http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/blog

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

Tudor Girba-3
Congratulations!

Doru

On 31 Jul 2009, at 10:42, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are excited to announce the first Pharo 1.0 beta release.
>
> A new Pharo image (and also Pharo-web image) can be downloaded from
> the website:
>
> http://pharo.cmsbox.ch/pharo-download
>
> The corresponding version number of Pharo-core is #10401.
>
> I'd like to thank all the people that have contributed to Pharo so
> far!
>
> Have fun,
> Adrian
>
> BTW, I also wrote about Pharo and the beta release on http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/blog

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving should be concentrated on describing
the problem in a way that is relevant for the solution."

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

SergeStinckwich
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Adrian Lienhard<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are excited to announce the first Pharo 1.0 beta release.

Congratulations to the Pharo team !

This is not ? http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

Adrian Lienhard
On Jul 31, 2009, at 11:09 , Serge Stinckwich wrote:

>> A new Pharo image (and also Pharo-web image) can be downloaded from
>> the website:
>>
>> http://pharo.cmsbox.ch/pharo-download
>
> This is not ? http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download

Yes, of course. The other one is an internal URL, but it points to the
same content. Sorry for the confusion.

Adrian

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

Tudor Girba-3
I just spotted that the hint text of the "Quit" menu item says:

"Quit out of Squeak"

Similarly for "Save and quit". Perhaps this could be changed?

Cheers,
Doru

On 31 Jul 2009, at 11:25, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2009, at 11:09 , Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>
>>> A new Pharo image (and also Pharo-web image) can be downloaded from
>>> the website:
>>>
>>> http://pharo.cmsbox.ch/pharo-download
>>
>> This is not ? http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download
>
> Yes, of course. The other one is an internal URL, but it points to the
> same content. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Adrian

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

Damien Cassou
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Tudor Girba<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just spotted that the hint text of the "Quit" menu item says:
>
> "Quit out of Squeak"
>
> Similarly for "Save and quit". Perhaps this could be changed?

Fixed in http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1021.

Thank you for the report.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

Marcus Denker-3

On 31.07.2009, at 05:44, Tudor Girba wrote:

> I just spotted that the hint text of the "Quit" menu item says:
>
> "Quit out of Squeak"
>
> Similarly for "Save and quit". Perhaps this could be changed?

Yes, the Mac menus need to be improved. e.g. there should be just
one Pharo menu instead of "Squeak VM" and "Files"... I will have
a look at that soon.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.2denker.de

2denker UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Sitz Köln
Amtsgericht - Registergericht - Köln, HRB 65065
Geschäftsführer: Christian Denker und Dr. Marcus Denker

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

So what is the process now?
Do we focus on 1.0?
Can we integrate other issues?
Do we have a separate stream for 1.1 alpha?

Stef

> Hi all,
>
> We are excited to announce the first Pharo 1.0 beta release.
>
> A new Pharo image (and also Pharo-web image) can be downloaded from
> the website:
>
> http://pharo.cmsbox.ch/pharo-download
>
> The corresponding version number of Pharo-core is #10401.
>
> I'd like to thank all the people that have contributed to Pharo so
> far!
>
> Have fun,
> Adrian
>
> BTW, I also wrote about Pharo and the beta release on http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/blog

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

SergeStinckwich
On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Stéphane
Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
> So what is the process now?
> Do we focus on 1.0?
> Can we integrate other issues?
> Do we have a separate stream for 1.1 alpha?

Maybe the 1.1 alpha should be available after the release of Pharo 1.0
so the efforts of the team is not disseminate on two versions.

On 01.08.2009, at 07:06, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Stéphane
> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> So what is the process now?
>> Do we focus on 1.0?
>> Can we integrate other issues?
>> Do we have a separate stream for 1.1 alpha?
>
> Maybe the 1.1 alpha should be available after the release of Pharo 1.0
> so the efforts of the team is not disseminate on two versions.

Yes, I think this is the way to go... we should force everyone to use
the
beta version for a while.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker - http://marcusdenker.de
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

Adrian Lienhard

On Aug 1, 2009, at 18:33 , Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 01.08.2009, at 07:06, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Stéphane
>> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> So what is the process now?
>>> Do we focus on 1.0?
>>> Can we integrate other issues?
>>> Do we have a separate stream for 1.1 alpha?
>>
>> Maybe the 1.1 alpha should be available after the release of Pharo
>> 1.0
>> so the efforts of the team is not disseminate on two versions.
>
> Yes, I think this is the way to go... we should force everyone to use
> the
> beta version for a while.

Yes. We have 50 open issues for 1.0 and when more people start using
Pharo, they will find more bugs. So for now we should focus on
bringing that number down to 0.

Adrian

> Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker - http://marcusdenker.de
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

Sebastian Sastre-2
1000 timesRepeat:['yay!'].
1000 timesRepeat:['thanks!'].
1000 timesRepeat:['Pharo rulez'].
sebastian

Henrik Sperre Johansen
2 things bugging me on Mac with the beta "dev" image:
(Not sure if you could call them bugs, since they seem to be artifacts
caused in some way by initialization needed but not done by the build
script)

- System browsers do not have proper drop-shadows while dragged, thus
lag alot.
Resizing the browser by a moderate amount causes the correct shadow to
be used on a case by case basis, if you resize the entire Pharo window
by some amount, all new browsers will have the "proper" shadow.

- Close/minimize buttons on windows in the background do not show
unless you hover over them.
This can be fixed by changing to another window theme, then back to
Watery2.

Cheers and congrats!
Henry

On Jul 31, 2009, at 10:42 05AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are excited to announce the first Pharo 1.0 beta release.
>
> A new Pharo image (and also Pharo-web image) can be downloaded from
> the website:
>
> http://pharo.cmsbox.ch/pharo-download
>
> The corresponding version number of Pharo-core is #10401.
>
> I'd like to thank all the people that have contributed to Pharo so
> far!
>
> Have fun,
> Adrian
>
> BTW, I also wrote about Pharo and the beta release on http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/blog

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

SergeStinckwich
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Henrik
Johansen<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2 things bugging me on Mac with the beta "dev" image:
> (Not sure if you could call them bugs, since they seem to be artifacts
> caused in some way by initialization needed but not done by the build
> script)
>
> - System browsers do not have proper drop-shadows while dragged, thus
> lag alot.
> Resizing the browser by a moderate amount causes the correct shadow to
> be used on a case by case basis, if you resize the entire Pharo window
> by some amount, all new browsers will have the "proper" shadow.
>
> - Close/minimize buttons on windows in the background do not show
> unless you hover over them.
> This can be fixed by changing to another window theme, then back to
> Watery2.

Yes +1 for this one.
Maybe buttons can be drawn in gray when the focus is not on the
window, as done in mac os X UI.

On Aug 3, 2009, at 1:15 04PM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Henrik
> Johansen<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2 things bugging me on Mac with the beta "dev" image:
>> (Not sure if you could call them bugs, since they seem to be
>> artifacts
>> caused in some way by initialization needed but not done by the build
>> script)
>>
>> - System browsers do not have proper drop-shadows while dragged, thus
>> lag alot.
>> Resizing the browser by a moderate amount causes the correct shadow
>> be used on a case by case basis, if you resize the entire Pharo
>> window
>> by some amount, all new browsers will have the "proper" shadow.
>>
>> - Close/minimize buttons on windows in the background do not show
>> unless you hover over them.
>> This can be fixed by changing to another window theme, then back to
>> Watery2.
>
> Yes +1 for this one.
> Maybe buttons can be drawn in gray when the focus is not on the
> window, as done in mac os X UI.
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

That´s what they do, once you change theme and back again :)

Cheers,
Henry

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

Damien Cassou
Hi Henry,

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Henrik
Johansen<[hidden email]> wrote:

> - System browsers do not have proper drop-shadows while dragged, thus
> lag alot.
> Resizing the browser by a moderate amount causes the correct shadow to
> be used on a case by case basis, if you resize the entire Pharo window
> by some amount, all new browsers will have the "proper" shadow.
>
> - Close/minimize buttons on windows in the background do not show
> unless you hover over them.
> This can be fixed by changing to another window theme, then back to
> Watery2.

please report these two bugs on the issue tracker in two different reports.

Thank you

On Aug 3, 2009, at 1:37 21PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> please report these two bugs on the issue tracker in two different
> reports.
>
> Thank you

Done, as issues 1026 and 1027.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Henrik
Johansen<[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2 things bugging me on Mac with the beta "dev" image:
> (Not sure if you could call them bugs, since they seem to be artifacts
> caused in some way by initialization needed but not done by the build
> script)
>
> - System browsers do not have proper drop-shadows while dragged, thus
> lag alot.
> Resizing the browser by a moderate amount causes the correct shadow to
> be used on a case by case basis, if you resize the entire Pharo window
> by some amount, all new browsers will have the "proper" shadow.

I don't know if I understood corrrectly but did you try turning on "fastDragWindowForMorphic" ?

> - Close/minimize buttons on windows in the background do not show
> unless you hover over them.
> This can be fixed by changing to another window theme, then back to
> Watery2.

Yes +1 for this one.
Maybe buttons can be drawn in gray when the focus is not on the
window, as done in mac os X UI.

+1 also for this one.

On Aug 3, 2009, at 3:26 03PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Henrik
Johansen<[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2 things bugging me on Mac with the beta "dev" image:
> (Not sure if you could call them bugs, since they seem to be artifacts
> caused in some way by initialization needed but not done by the build
> script)
>
> - System browsers do not have proper drop-shadows while dragged, thus
> lag alot.
> Resizing the browser by a moderate amount causes the correct shadow to
> be used on a case by case basis, if you resize the entire Pharo window
> by some amount, all new browsers will have the "proper" shadow.

I don't know if I understood corrrectly but did you try turning on "fastDragWindowForMorphic" ?

No. This is with an image just opened after downloading, nothing changed from default settings.
After resizing so the "correct" dropshadow behaviour is initialized, dragging is quite snappy even without fastDrag. (resizing is still slow, of course)

I attached two images to 1026, so you can see the visual difference if you want.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: [ANN] Pharo 1.0 Beta

ok with me.