[ANN] Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm

123

[ANN] Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi. This is not an official release. I didn't do all the formal procedure for releasing a Pharo image. My idea is try to push CogVM and try to get as much as testers as possible. Try to report issues and help Eliot. For that purpose, I think  having a one click image is worth it.

So.....I build a Pharo dev on top of the PharoCore 1.1.1 (which has some fixes over 1.1 and the CogVM necessary changes). I build the image with exactly the same versions of the external packages than Pharo 1.1.

If you want to download that this Pharo1.1.1 dev image that works with Cog here is the link:

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27516/Pharo-1.1.1-dev10.09.1.zip

In addition, and thanks to Lukas, we could generate OneClicks with CogVM. Here you can have a OneClick using the above image:

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27524/Pharo-1.1.1-OneClickCogVM.zip

Notice that this is not an official release and that there are failing/errors tests. I've already sent emails for them and hopefully someone may fix them. The only thing is not supported is the TestCoverage (since it uses objects as methods, with is not yet supported in CogVM).

Cheers

Mariano

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm

Tudor Girba
Hi Mariano,

This is a good and needed step.

Now, just a problem: 1.1.1dev image does not work with the regular VM. This is probably because you saved it again after you opened it with the Cog VM. It would be great if the released dev image would work with both.

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Sep 2010, at 17:56, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi. This is not an official release. I didn't do all the formal procedure for releasing a Pharo image. My idea is try to push CogVM and try to get as much as testers as possible. Try to report issues and help Eliot. For that purpose, I think  having a one click image is worth it.
>
> So.....I build a Pharo dev on top of the PharoCore 1.1.1 (which has some fixes over 1.1 and the CogVM necessary changes). I build the image with exactly the same versions of the external packages than Pharo 1.1.
>
> If you want to download that this Pharo1.1.1 dev image that works with Cog here is the link:
>
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27516/Pharo-1.1.1-dev10.09.1.zip
>
> In addition, and thanks to Lukas, we could generate OneClicks with CogVM. Here you can have a OneClick using the above image:
>
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27524/Pharo-1.1.1-OneClickCogVM.zip
>
> Notice that this is not an official release and that there are failing/errors tests. I've already sent emails for them and hopefully someone may fix them. The only thing is not supported is the TestCoverage (since it uses objects as methods, with is not yet supported in CogVM).
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

This is a good and needed step.

Now, just a problem: 1.1.1dev image does not work with the regular VM. This is probably because you saved it again after you opened it with the Cog VM. It would be great if the released dev image would work with both.

Excellent suggestion :)
Thanks doru.

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Sep 2010, at 17:56, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi. This is not an official release. I didn't do all the formal procedure for releasing a Pharo image. My idea is try to push CogVM and try to get as much as testers as possible. Try to report issues and help Eliot. For that purpose, I think  having a one click image is worth it.
>
> So.....I build a Pharo dev on top of the PharoCore 1.1.1 (which has some fixes over 1.1 and the CogVM necessary changes). I build the image with exactly the same versions of the external packages than Pharo 1.1.
>
> If you want to download that this Pharo1.1.1 dev image that works with Cog here is the link:
>
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27516/Pharo-1.1.1-dev10.09.1.zip
>
> In addition, and thanks to Lukas, we could generate OneClicks with CogVM. Here you can have a OneClick using the above image:
>
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27524/Pharo-1.1.1-OneClickCogVM.zip
>
> Notice that this is not an official release and that there are failing/errors tests. I've already sent emails for them and hopefully someone may fix them. The only thing is not supported is the TestCoverage (since it uses objects as methods, with is not yet supported in CogVM).
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm

Tudor Girba
Hi Mariano,

Is the 1.1.1 dev image available for the old VM?

I was a bit away, and I am not sure of the status. If there is something I can do, please let me know.

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Sep 2010, at 19:49, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Mariano,
>
> This is a good and needed step.
>
> Now, just a problem: 1.1.1dev image does not work with the regular VM. This is probably because you saved it again after you opened it with the Cog VM. It would be great if the released dev image would work with both.
>
> Excellent suggestion :)
> Thanks doru.
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 25 Sep 2010, at 17:56, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> > Hi. This is not an official release. I didn't do all the formal procedure for releasing a Pharo image. My idea is try to push CogVM and try to get as much as testers as possible. Try to report issues and help Eliot. For that purpose, I think  having a one click image is worth it.
> >
> > So.....I build a Pharo dev on top of the PharoCore 1.1.1 (which has some fixes over 1.1 and the CogVM necessary changes). I build the image with exactly the same versions of the external packages than Pharo 1.1.
> >
> > If you want to download that this Pharo1.1.1 dev image that works with Cog here is the link:
> >
> > https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27516/Pharo-1.1.1-dev10.09.1.zip
> >
> > In addition, and thanks to Lukas, we could generate OneClicks with CogVM. Here you can have a OneClick using the above image:
> >
> > https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27524/Pharo-1.1.1-OneClickCogVM.zip
> >
> > Notice that this is not an official release and that there are failing/errors tests. I've already sent emails for them and hopefully someone may fix them. The only thing is not supported is the TestCoverage (since it uses objects as methods, with is not yet supported in CogVM).
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mariano

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm

laurent laffont
On up to date ArchLinux, 32 bits.

1. Open One Click
2. Open MonticelloBrowser
3. Save a packages (Tests for ex.) in package cache
4. Dialog to enter commit message opens, click ok
5. crash

It reminds me about the UUID plugin as external problem. It should be built as internal.

$ sh Pharo.sh

Segmentation fault

Smalltalk stack dump:
0xbfa9f80c I UUID>initialize 2023565392: a(n) UUID
0xbfa9f824 M UUID class(Behavior)>new: 2000732936: a(n) UUID class
0xbfa9f848 I UUID class>new 2000732936: a(n) UUID class
0xbfa9f870 I MCWorkingAncestry>infoWithName:message: 2006007052: a(n) MCWorkingAncestry
0xbfa9f8a0 I MCWorkingCopy>newVersionWithName:message: 2001405256: a(n) MCWorkingCopy
0xbfa9f8cc I MCWorkingCopy>newVersion 2001405256: a(n) MCWorkingCopy
0xbfa9f8ec M MCWorkingCopyBrowser>saveVersion 2022465908: a(n) MCWorkingCopyBrowser
0xbfa9f90c I PluggableButtonMorphPlus(PluggableButtonMorph)>performAction 2022486348: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xbfa9f92c I PluggableButtonMorphPlus>performAction 2022486348: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xbfa9f948 M [] in PluggableButtonMorphPlus(PluggableButtonMorph)>mouseUp: 2022486348: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xbfa9f96c M Array(SequenceableCollection)>do: 2022623240: a(n) Array
0xbfa9f994 I PluggableButtonMorphPlus(PluggableButtonMorph)>mouseUp: 2022486348: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xbfa9f9b8 I PluggableButtonMorphPlus>mouseUp: 2022486348: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xbfa9f9d4 M PluggableButtonMorphPlus(Morph)>handleMouseUp: 2022486348: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xbfa9f9f0 M MouseButtonEvent>sentTo: 2022623200: a(n) MouseButtonEvent
0xbfa9fa0c M PluggableButtonMorphPlus(Morph)>handleEvent: 2022486348: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xbfa9fa28 M PluggableButtonMorphPlus(Morph)>handleFocusEvent: 2022486348: a(n) PluggableButtonMorphPlus
0xbfa9fa50 M [] in HandMorph>sendFocusEvent:to:clear: 2001235900: a(n) HandMorph
0xbfa9fa6c M [] in PasteUpMorph>becomeActiveDuring: 2001524352: a(n) PasteUpMorph
0xbfa9fa88 M BlockClosure>on:do: 2022623148: a(n) BlockClosure
0xbfa9fab4 M PasteUpMorph>becomeActiveDuring: 2001524352: a(n) PasteUpMorph
0xbfa9fad8 M HandMorph>sendFocusEvent:to:clear: 2001235900: a(n) HandMorph
0xbfa9fb00 M HandMorph>sendEvent:focus:clear: 2001235900: a(n) HandMorph
0xbfa9fb24 M HandMorph>sendMouseEvent: 2001235900: a(n) HandMorph
0xbfa9fb48 M HandMorph>handleEvent: 2001235900: a(n) HandMorph
0xbfa9fb74 M HandMorph>processEvents 2001235900: a(n) HandMorph
0xbfa9fb8c M [] in WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor: 2002154700: a(n) WorldState
0xbfa9fbb0 M Array(SequenceableCollection)>do: 1999805528: a(n) Array
0xbfa9fbcc M WorldState>handsDo: 2002154700: a(n) WorldState
0xbfa9fbe8 M WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor: 2002154700: a(n) WorldState
0xbfa9fc04 M WorldState>doOneCycleFor: 2002154700: a(n) WorldState
0xbfa9fc20 M PasteUpMorph>doOneCycle 2001524352: a(n) PasteUpMorph
0xbfa9fc40 I [] in Project class>? 2002234208: a(n) Project class
2001355268 s [] in BlockClosure>?

Most recent primitives
truncated
fractionPart
truncated
basicNew
truncated
basicNew
truncated
fractionPart
fractionPart
truncated
fractionPart
truncated
fractionPart
truncated
basicNew
truncated
perform:with:
perform:with:
basicNew
truncated
@
@
@
basicNew
@
@
basicNew
@
@
primDisplayString:from:to:map:xTable:kern:
@
[...]
copyBits
@
@
basicNew
at:put:
basicNew
new:
at:put:
species
basicNew
new:
species
basicNew
new:
species
basicNew
new:
at:put:
at:put:
species
basicNew
new:
@
@
basicNew
at:put:
@
@
basicNew
at:put:
species
species
species
species
species
species
replaceFrom:to:with:startingAt:
at:put:
new:
at:put:
at:put:
@
@
basicNew
shallowCopy
shallowCopy
basicNew
new:
at:put:
shallowCopy
new:
[...]
primShowRectLeft:right:top:bottom:
primShowRectLeft:right:top:bottom:
millisecondClockValue
signal
primSignal:atMilliseconds:
millisecondClockValue
wait
primGetNextEvent:
millisecondClockValue
wait
signal
millisecondClockValue
primSignal:atMilliseconds:
millisecondClockValue
wait
signal
wait
primShowRectLeft:right:top:bottom:
primitiveDeferUpdates:
forceDisplayUpdate
findNextUnwindContextUpTo:
terminateTo:
basicNew:
primMakeUUID
Abandon

Laurent Laffont

Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

Is the 1.1.1 dev image available for the old VM?

I was a bit away, and I am not sure of the status. If there is something I can do, please let me know.

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Sep 2010, at 19:49, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Mariano,
>
> This is a good and needed step.
>
> Now, just a problem: 1.1.1dev image does not work with the regular VM. This is probably because you saved it again after you opened it with the Cog VM. It would be great if the released dev image would work with both.
>
> Excellent suggestion :)
> Thanks doru.
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 25 Sep 2010, at 17:56, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> > Hi. This is not an official release. I didn't do all the formal procedure for releasing a Pharo image. My idea is try to push CogVM and try to get as much as testers as possible. Try to report issues and help Eliot. For that purpose, I think  having a one click image is worth it.
> >
> > So.....I build a Pharo dev on top of the PharoCore 1.1.1 (which has some fixes over 1.1 and the CogVM necessary changes). I build the image with exactly the same versions of the external packages than Pharo 1.1.
> >
> > If you want to download that this Pharo1.1.1 dev image that works with Cog here is the link:
> >
> > https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27516/Pharo-1.1.1-dev10.09.1.zip
> >
> > In addition, and thanks to Lukas, we could generate OneClicks with CogVM. Here you can have a OneClick using the above image:
> >
> > https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27524/Pharo-1.1.1-OneClickCogVM.zip
> >
> > Notice that this is not an official release and that there are failing/errors tests. I've already sent emails for them and hopefully someone may fix them. The only thing is not supported is the TestCoverage (since it uses objects as methods, with is not yet supported in CogVM).
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mariano

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm

Igor Stasenko
2 years, we're plagued by this for two years!

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 30 Sep 2010, at 14:28, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2 years, we're plagued by this for two years!

Less plugins, more Smalltalk code!
I want to look at everything and never see C.
Plugins/primitives should only be there when they are absolutely necessary (to access a platform feature or for crucial performance).

Sven

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2 years, we're plagued by this for two years!

I wonder why does anyone expect that a single build will work on all un*x
distributions? It just won't work.

Levente

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, laurent laffont wrote:

> On up to date ArchLinux, 32 bits.
>
> 1. Open One Click
> 2. Open MonticelloBrowser
> 3. Save a packages (Tests for ex.) in package cache
> 4. Dialog to enter commit message opens, click ok
> 5. crash
>
> It reminds me about the UUID plugin as external problem. It should be built
> as internal.

No, it shouldn't. It immediately crashes, if libuuid is not available,
which happens to be the case on some 64-bit version of Debian and Ubuntu.

Levente

> [...]
>> Cog here is the link:
>>>>

>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27516/Pharo-1.1.1-dev10.09.1.zip

>> CogVM. Here you can have a OneClick using the above image:
>>>>

>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27524/Pharo-1.1.1-OneClickCogVM.zip

>> failing/errors tests. I've already sent emails for them and hopefully
>> someone may fix them. The only thing is not supported is the TestCoverage
>> (since it uses objects as methods, with is not yet supported in CogVM).

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
>> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm

Thanks Mariano.

I built the image and made it available. If you want to put it on the INRIA server, you can download it from here:
http://www.tudorgirba.com/download/Pharo-1.1.1-dev30.09.1.zip

Cheers,
Doru

On 30 Sep 2010, at 14:16, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Mariano,
>
> Is the 1.1.1 dev image available for the old VM?
>
> No, but you can do it by yourself. Just take the PharoCore 1.1.1 (https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27526/PharoCore-1.1.1.zip)
> And evaluate:
>

> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfPharo';
>     load.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project version: '1.1') perform: #silently: with: true; perform: #load.
>

> I was a bit away, and I am not sure of the status. If there is something I can do, please let me know.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 25 Sep 2010, at 19:49, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

> > On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Mariano,
> >
> > This is a good and needed step.
> >
> > Now, just a problem: 1.1.1dev image does not work with the regular VM. This is probably because you saved it again after you opened it with the Cog VM. It would be great if the released dev image would work with both.
> >
> > Excellent suggestion :)
> > Thanks doru.
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> > On 25 Sep 2010, at 17:56, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> >
> > > Hi. This is not an official release. I didn't do all the formal procedure for releasing a Pharo image. My idea is try to push CogVM and try to get as much as testers as possible. Try to report issues and help Eliot. For that purpose, I think  having a one click image is worth it.
> > >
> > > So.....I build a Pharo dev on top of the PharoCore 1.1.1 (which has some fixes over 1.1 and the CogVM necessary changes). I build the image with exactly the same versions of the external packages than Pharo 1.1.
> > >
> > > If you want to download that this Pharo1.1.1 dev image that works with Cog here is the link:
> > >
> > > https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27516/Pharo-1.1.1-dev10.09.1.zip
> > >
> > > In addition, and thanks to Lukas, we could generate OneClicks with CogVM. Here you can have a OneClick using the above image:
> > >
> > > https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27524/Pharo-1.1.1-OneClickCogVM.zip
> > >
> > > Notice that this is not an official release and that there are failing/errors tests. I've already sent emails for them and hopefully someone may fix them. The only thing is not supported is the TestCoverage (since it uses objects as methods, with is not yet supported in CogVM).
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Mariano
> >
> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm

Simon Denier-3
Thanks Doru

So I'm not sure there was ever a clear announcement on that, but what does the 1.1.1 provide: just the ability to run on Cog, or are there other improvements?

On 30 sept. 2010, at 14:58, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Thanks Mariano.
>
> I built the image and made it available. If you want to put it on the INRIA server, you can download it from here:
> http://www.tudorgirba.com/download/Pharo-1.1.1-dev30.09.1.zip
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 30 Sep 2010, at 14:16, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Mariano,
>>
>> Is the 1.1.1 dev image available for the old VM?
>>
>> No, but you can do it by yourself. Just take the PharoCore 1.1.1 (https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27526/PharoCore-1.1.1.zip)
>> And evaluate:
>>

>> Gofer new
>>    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>    package: 'ConfigurationOfPharo';
>>    load.
>>
>> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project version: '1.1') perform: #silently: with: true; perform: #load.
>>

>> I was a bit away, and I am not sure of the status. If there is something I can do, please let me know.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 25 Sep 2010, at 19:49, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>

>>> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Mariano,
>>>
>>> This is a good and needed step.
>>>
>>> Now, just a problem: 1.1.1dev image does not work with the regular VM. This is probably because you saved it again after you opened it with the Cog VM. It would be great if the released dev image would work with both.
>>>
>>> Excellent suggestion :)
>>> Thanks doru.
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
>> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

 Simon

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm

Tudor Girba
I believe there were also a couple of fixes backported from 1.2, but my main concern was about running with Cog :)

Cheers,
Doru

On 30 Sep 2010, at 15:16, Simon Denier wrote:

> Thanks Doru
>
> So I'm not sure there was ever a clear announcement on that, but what does the 1.1.1 provide: just the ability to run on Cog, or are there other improvements?
>

> On 30 sept. 2010, at 14:58, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mariano.
>>
>> I built the image and made it available. If you want to put it on the INRIA server, you can download it from here:
>> http://www.tudorgirba.com/download/Pharo-1.1.1-dev30.09.1.zip
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 30 Sep 2010, at 14:16, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>

>>> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Mariano,
>>>
>>> Is the 1.1.1 dev image available for the old VM?
>>>
>>> No, but you can do it by yourself. Just take the PharoCore 1.1.1 (https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27526/PharoCore-1.1.1.zip)
>>> And evaluate:
>>>

>>> Gofer new
>>>   squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>>   package: 'ConfigurationOfPharo';
>>>   load.
>>>
>>> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project version: '1.1') perform: #silently: with: true; perform: #load.
>>>

>>> I was a bit away, and I am not sure of the status. If there is something I can do, please let me know.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
>>> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"Presenting is storytelling."

Re: Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm

garduino
2010/9/30 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:

> Less plugins, more Smalltalk code!
> I want to look at everything and never see C.
> Plugins/primitives should only be there when they are absolutely necessary (to access a platform feature or for crucial performance).
>
> Sven

+1

Less plugins, more Smalltalk code! (was: Re: Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm)

Noury Bouraqadi-2

On 30 sept. 2010, at 20:22, Germán Arduino wrote:

> 2010/9/30 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Less plugins, more Smalltalk code!
>> I want to look at everything and never see C.
>> Plugins/primitives should only be there when they are absolutely necessary (to access a platform feature or for crucial performance).
>>
>> Sven
>>

> +1

Yes. This is the approach we advocate in the Ocean project.
We would like to see it generalized beyond the network library.

Noury

Re: Less plugins, more Smalltalk code! (was: Re: Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm)

you should read the recurrent thread in the vm list, some of you may be concerned :)

Stef

>>> Less plugins, more Smalltalk code!
>>> I want to look at everything and never see C.
>>> Plugins/primitives should only be there when they are absolutely necessary (to access a platform feature or for crucial performance).
>>>
>>> Sven
>>>

>> +1
>>
> Yes. This is the approach we advocate in the Ocean project.
> We would like to see it generalized beyond the network library.
>
> Noury

Re: Less plugins, more Smalltalk code! (was: Re: Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm)

Schwab,Wilhelm K
For Ocean to succeed, you either have to work really hard to make non-blocking calls (I'm thinking of SSL sockets), or you need the ability to call functions on OS threads.  The calls need to block their calling Process and let the other Processes run as though nothing is happening.

On 30 sept. 2010, at 20:22, Germán Arduino wrote:

> 2010/9/30 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Less plugins, more Smalltalk code!
>> I want to look at everything and never see C.
>> Plugins/primitives should only be there when they are absolutely necessary (to access a platform feature or for crucial performance).
>>
>> Sven
>>

> +1

Yes. This is the approach we advocate in the Ocean project.
We would like to see it generalized beyond the network library.

Noury

Ocean (was Re: Less plugins, more Smalltalk code! (was: Re: Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm))

Noury Bouraqadi-2

On 3 oct. 2010, at 16:28, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> For Ocean to succeed, you either have to work really hard to make non-blocking calls (I'm thinking of SSL sockets), or you need the ability to call functions on OS threads.  The calls need to block their calling Process and let the other Processes run as though nothing is happening.

You're right.
Another option is having a multi-threaded VM. Eliot seem to work on it.
So far we're working on cleaning up the design of basic functionalities before going on.
Then, we'll try to find a workaround for non-blocking calls.
All ideas are welcome :-)

BTW, some people (you included) proposed to help for the Ocean project.
Luc and I want to thank you and we are happy that others are willing to help.
We thought about the best way to integrate others help.
Our conclusion is that we should first do alone (luc and me) the reference design, before integrating other developers.
So, we all can work on solid foudations.

Noury

Re: Ocean (was Re: Less plugins, more Smalltalk code! (was: Re: Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm))

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Noury,

I am very interested in seeing this done well.  At a minimum, I'll give the result some serious abuse.

Bill

On 4 October 2010 11:59, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3 oct. 2010, at 16:28, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> For Ocean to succeed, you either have to work really hard to make non-blocking calls (I'm thinking of SSL sockets), or you need the ability to call functions on OS threads.  The calls need to block their calling Process and let the other Processes run as though nothing is happening.
>>
> You're right.
> Another option is having a multi-threaded VM. Eliot seem to work on it.
> So far we're working on cleaning up the design of basic functionalities before going on.
> Then, we'll try to find a workaround for non-blocking calls.
> All ideas are welcome :-)

There are two ways.
Use sockets in blocking mode or in non-blocking mode.
In both variants its possible to not block VM thread during the call(s),
but depending on socket's mode, implementation will be different.

i think it would be cool to have non-blocking socket at language side
(i.e. doing socket calls does not blocks VM as well as smalltalk
Process which made it).

What could block the process , is putting it on wait , till socket's
state change (ready for write, connected, closed etc).
Now i think that with such approach you don't even need generic
non-blocking FFI callout mechanism.
You just need to run extra native thread(s), which periodically polls
the socket(s) state and signals its semaphores
accordingly.

> BTW, some people (you included) proposed to help for the Ocean project.
> Luc and I want to thank you and we are happy that others are willing to help.
> We thought about the best way to integrate others help.
> Our conclusion is that we should first do alone (luc and me) the reference design, before integrating other developers.
> So, we all can work on solid foudations.
>
> Noury

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Ocean (was Re: Less plugins, more Smalltalk code! (was: Re: Pharo 1.1.1 OneClickCogVm))

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Noury,

One of the other aspects that I find important is elementary efficiency.

A lot of stream related code in Smalltalk is not efficient, the actual data is copied around like crazy, turning it from a stream to a collection and then back into a stream multiple times. For Zinc HTTP Components I made a lot of effort to make it possible to read data from a socket stream in true streaming fashion (instead of just returning a byte array). Now, the idea was then that for example JPEGReadWriter>>#nextImage would work transparaently on that raw stream. Sadly, the code in JPEGReadWriter and friends just reads everything into an array before it starts to work !

But OK, maybe this is easier said than done. The step from Smalltalk to system call should also not copy if that is possible, but then FFI and GC come into play.

Anyway, good luck, I am willing to try using Ocean as soon as it becomes available.

Sven

On 04 Oct 2010, at 10:59, Noury Bouraqadi wrote:

> On 3 oct. 2010, at 16:28, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> For Ocean to succeed, you either have to work really hard to make non-blocking calls (I'm thinking of SSL sockets), or you need the ability to call functions on OS threads.  The calls need to block their calling Process and let the other Processes run as though nothing is happening.
>>
> You're right.
> Another option is having a multi-threaded VM. Eliot seem to work on it.
> So far we're working on cleaning up the design of basic functionalities before going on.
> Then, we'll try to find a workaround for non-blocking calls.
> All ideas are welcome :-)
>
> BTW, some people (you included) proposed to help for the Ocean project.
> Luc and I want to thank you and we are happy that others are willing to help.
> We thought about the best way to integrate others help.
> Our conclusion is that we should first do alone (luc and me) the reference design, before integrating other developers.
> So, we all can work on solid foudations.
>
> Noury

123