[ANN] Pharo 7.0.3

tesonep@gmail.com
Pharo 7.0.3 contains several bugfixes, notably a fix for the annoying font corruption font.

image.png

Changes Log

  • #2781 Fix comment on OSWindow >> startTextInput
  • #3160 2975-Problem-when-you-read-an-mcz-pharo7
  • #3130 Improving the performance of SourceFileArray
  • #3164 MailMessage can not send mails with attachment in Pharo7
  • #3149 3148-backport-2395-to-Pharo-70--Non-ASCII-class-and-author-names-break-SourceFileArraygetPreambleFromat
  • #3178 Fix for corrupted fonts in Pharo7
All the images are available in ZeroConf and in the Pharo Launcher.

Thanks to all the collaborators especially:

- David
- Guille
- Pavel
- Christophe
- Theo
- Sabine
- Sven

And to all the people that helped to make this release in a couple of minutes.
And thanks to the academy!

Pablo

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0.3

Stéphane Ducasse
what is the academy?
:)

stef

  • #2781 Fix comment on OSWindow >> startTextInput
  • #3160 2975-Problem-when-you-read-an-mcz-pharo7
  • #3130 Improving the performance of SourceFileArray
  • #3164 MailMessage can not send mails with attachment in Pharo7
  • #3149 3148-backport-2395-to-Pharo-70--Non-ASCII-class-and-author-names-break-SourceFileArraygetPreambleFromat
  • #3178 Fix for corrupted fonts in Pharo7
All the images are available in ZeroConf and in the Pharo Launcher.

Thanks to all the collaborators especially:

- David
- Guille
- Pavel
- Christophe
- Theo
- Sabine
- Sven

And to all the people that helped to make this release in a couple of minutes.
And thanks to the academy!

Pablo

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0.3

EstebanLM
Hi Tim,

Is not about subprojects, is about hot fixes :)
Pharo 7 will continue having some updates on critical bugs but it should not include regular changes (like an update on Calypso).
In that sense, fix #2781 sneaked in and it shouldn’t, which means we still need to adjust the process :P

Esteban

On 13 Apr 2019, at 14:50, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is great - I’m pleased we can get fixes like this (and keen to get passed that font issue which was driving me crazy).

A small related question - how do ensure we get fixes from sub projects considered too? I’d really like to see: https://github.com/pharo-ide/Calypso/pull/451 as it’s annoying not being able to move methods between classes. There are a few other Calypso gems in there too (and quite a few more to fix).

I worry that having all these sub-projects makes it a bit complicated to get them included?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 12 Apr 2019, at 16:26, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Pharo 7.0.3 contains several bugfixes, notably a fix for the annoying font corruption font.

<image.png>

Changes Log

Pablo

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0.3

tesonep@gmail.com
Like in the Oscars, I was thanking everybody. ;)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019, 21:40 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email] wrote:
what is the academy?
:)

France

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0.3

tesonep@gmail.com
Thanks a lot, founding the issue is important.
For sure I missed some other users of freetype doing the same!!

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 1:14 AM Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but 7.0.3 on OSX still has the font glyph issue (see how my menus have started to go) - saving my image has fixed it (for now). I do have Mirage loaded in my image ( the latest version, and I was showing you guys how that seems to stress it a bit more).

Tim

On 14 Apr 2019, at 15:16, [hidden email] wrote:

Like in the Oscars, I was thanking everybody. ;)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019, 21:40 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email] wrote:
what is the academy?
:)

stef

On 12 Apr 2019, at 17:26, [hidden email] wrote:

Pharo 7.0.3 contains several bugfixes, notably a fix for the annoying font corruption font.

<image.png>

Changes Log

Pablo Tesone.

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0.3

tesonep@gmail.com
I am afraid we will need to give more love to it.
We need a proper solution, hacking it is not working. We will have to refactor implementation and modify the users.
It is not that we are lazy (that we are) but also it is ugly and full of magic numbers.

But we will win, we must win!

Thanks again for the report!

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:10 AM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Pablo Tesone.

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0.3

Tim Mackinnon
No problem - it’s a bit early to tell if it’s the same as before  - my sense is that it’s slightly improved. I had that 7.0.3 image in light use for 3-4 hours before I noticed it. In 7.0.2 it would happen within 5-20 mins.

I deliberately loaded Mirage as I recalled it was the catalyst before, and I think this might still be the case - but I’ll continue to use this setup to give more details.

Do we re-open the previous issue and our feedback there?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Apr 2019, at 08:14, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<PastedGraphic-8.png>

On 14 Apr 2019, at 15:16, [hidden email] wrote:

Like in the Oscars, I was thanking everybody. ;)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019, 21:40 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email] wrote:
what is the academy?
:)

stef

On 12 Apr 2019, at 17:26, [hidden email] wrote:

Pharo 7.0.3 contains several bugfixes, notably a fix for the annoying font corruption font.

<image.png>

Changes Log

Pablo Tesone.

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0.3

ducasse
Hi tim

I think that this is better to create a new issue.

Stef

On 15 Apr 2019, at 09:57, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<PastedGraphic-9.png>

On 14 Apr 2019, at 15:16, [hidden email] wrote:

Like in the Oscars, I was thanking everybody. ;)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019, 21:40 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email] wrote:
what is the academy?
:)

stef

On 12 Apr 2019, at 17:26, [hidden email] wrote:

Pharo 7.0.3 contains several bugfixes, notably a fix for the annoying font corruption font.

<image.png>

Changes Log

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0.3

Tim Mackinnon
FYI - I was able to confirm that my working 703 image continues to show the issue (Exercism+Mirage seem to cause it - but I suspect it’s Mirage rendering thumbnails in multiple threads that stresses things).

Guille has come up with a filein that has some more aggressive mutex code (from my quick glance), so I am running with that to see if I can empirically show it helps.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 16 Apr 2019, at 08:30, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Tim.

сб, 13 апр. 2019 г. в 13:51, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:
This is great - I’m pleased we can get fixes like this (and keen to get passed that font issue which was driving me crazy).

A small related question - how do ensure we get fixes from sub projects considered too? I’d really like to see: https://github.com/pharo-ide/Calypso/pull/451 as it’s annoying not being able to move methods between classes. There are a few other Calypso gems in there too (and quite a few more to fix).

I worry that having all these sub-projects makes it a bit complicated to get them included?

Nothing special here. As soon as these projects support old Pharo version it just requires another PR into Pharo 7 with new version of sub-project (modifying loadCalypso in that case).
Somebody should just decide that new version needs to be to back ported.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 12 Apr 2019, at 16:26, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Pharo 7.0.3 contains several bugfixes, notably a fix for the annoying font corruption font.

<image.png>

Changes Log

Pablo

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0.3

Tim Mackinnon

On 17 Apr 2019, at 23:43, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Somebody should just decide that new version needs to be to back ported.

Who is the somebody that would decide? If we have to live with Pharo 7.x for the next year (possibly a bit less) - some of the UI fixes would be much appreciated, particularly if its easy to do.

Perhaps if we do a 7.0.4 we might do that?

Tim

p.s. 7.0.3 definitely doesn’t fix the font glitch (sadly), and Guille’s fix cause my image to deadlock for 3-5 minutes when I see it (which might actually be helpful - is it could conform a specific type of problem)

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0.3

philippeback
Question: Can't we use some platform facility for renderering text on a surface instead of using FreeType?

Phil

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 12:12 PM Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Our plan is to use Pango directly or indirectly (I do not remember exactly but via SDL2).
But as everything it takes time. First the VM should get headless and more.
Now if we would have some other sources of fundings Pharo would not be like it is now.

Stef