[ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

12

[ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

EstebanLM
Pharo 7.0 released!
===============

Dear World and dynamic language lovers:

The time has come for Pharo 7.0!

Pharo is a pure object-oriented programming language and a powerful environment, focused on simplicity and immediate feedback.

pastedGraphic.png

This is our most significant release yet. Here are the key highlights of this release:

• Pharo is now provided in 64-bit version in Linux and OSX and brings even better performance and stability. The 64-bit version is now recommended for Linux and Mac, and is provided as technical preview for Windows.
• Pharo comes with a new version of the PharoLauncher (https://pharo.org/download): THE tool to manage your distributions (access to regular versions, jenkins builds, and older versions).
• Pharo build has a fully new build process that supports its full bootstrap from sources. This will enable the production to specific (micro) images.
• Iceberg, the git client for Pharo has been significantly improved, and is the default CMS.
• Calypso, the angular stone of PharoThings, is the new system Pharo browser. It replaces Nautilus and brings better remote working and more advanced browsing capabilities.
• IoT is now an important part of Pharo. Installing PharoThings (https://github.com/pharo-iot/PharoThings) provides an impressive amount of tools to develop applications in small devices.
• The unified foreign function interface (UnifiedFFI) for interfacing with the outside world is significantly improved to work properly on Windows 64-bit.

Pharo 70’s new infrastructure and process set the stage for a new generation of version.
The visibility of GitHub combined with the powerful tools that have been validated with more than one year of beta testing is massively pay off.

These are just the more prominent highlights, but the details are just as important.

We have closed a massive amount of issues: 2142 issues! (A comprehensive changelog can be found at: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-changelogs/blob/master/Pharo70ChangeLogs.md).

While the technical improvements are significant, still the most impressive fact is that the new code that got in the main Pharo 7.0 image was contributed by more than 75 people.

Pharo is more than code. It is an exciting project involving energetic people. We thank all the contributors of this release:

Gabriel Omar Cotelli, Gustavo Santos, Marcus Denker, Torsten Bergmann, Esteban Lorenzano, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras, Guille Polito, Pablo Tesone, Yoan Geran, Stéphane Ducasse, Cyril Ferlicot, Vincent Blondeau, Denis Kudriashov, Julien Delplanque, Tim Mackinnon, Max Leske, Andrew P. Black, Tomohiro Oda, Clément Béra, Ben Coman, Eric Gade, Yuriy Tymchuk, Nicolas Cellier, Biyalou-Sama Asbath, Myroslava, Sean DeNigris, Juraj Kubelka, Noury Bouraqadi, Holger Freyther, Geoff Reedy, Norbert Hartl, Paul DeBruicker, Alain Plantec, Martín Dias, Peter Uhnak, Tomohiro Oda, Benoît Verhaeghe, Santiago Bragagnolo, Wouter van Zuilen, Bernhard Pieber, Damien Pollet, Geoff Hill, Hans-Martin Mosner, Ronie Salgado, Philippe Back, Aliaksei Syrel, Dayne Guerra, Rafael Luque, Serge Stinckwich, Vincent Aranega, Hernán Morales Durand, Petr Fischer, Rajula Vineet Reddy, Alexandre Bergel, Esteban A. Maringolo, Jan Blizničenko, Johan Brichau, Luc Fabresse, Quentin Ducasse, Sébastien Roccaserra, Stephan Eggermont, Sven Van Caekenberghe, Takano Mitsuhiro, Pavel Krivanek, Allex Oliveira, Christophe Demarey, Lionel Akue, Nicolai Hess, Martin McClure, Alistair Grant, Pierre Tsapliayev, Milton Mamani, Matteo Marra, Thomas Dupriez, Asbathou Biyalou-Sama.
(If you contributed with Pharo 7.0 development in any way and we missed your name, please send us a mail and we will add you).

Enjoy!
The Pharo Team

Try Pharo: http://pharo.org/download
Learn Pharo: http://pharo.org/documentation

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

EstebanLM
Upvote links:

Cheers!
Esteban

On 22 Jan 2019, at 14:36, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Pharo 7.0 released!
===============

[...]

gcotelli
Great work! And I want to say that with the new process and iceberg version is so much simple to contribute!

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 10:37 AM Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pharo 7.0 released!
===============

[...]

Esteban A. Maringolo
The Discord channel could use some human replies as well, some
newcomers are coming with basic questions about getting started with
Pharo (and Pharo Launcher), so basic that I don't have a canonical
answer (because I work around these issues using my shenanigans).

Esteban A. Maringolo

El mar., 22 ene. 2019 a las 13:03, Sven Van Caekenberghe
(<[hidden email]>) escribió:

> > On 22 Jan 2019, at 14:39, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18968116
>
> Please join, this is going really well: 100+ upvotes, 60+ comments (both are important).
> Let's keep the momentum going (this is a unique chance to get some publicity).

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

On HackerNews, people are trying to run the factorial example from the main page and that does not work. It currently looks like this:

$ curl https://get.pharo.org | bash
$ ./pharo Pharo.image eval "42 factorial”

But, the path is incorrect. It should probably be more like:

$ wget -O- https://get.pharo.org/64/stable | bash
$ ./pharo Pharo.image eval "42 factorial”

Somehow curl did not work on my machine. It says:
$ https://get.pharo.org/64/stable | bash
bash: https://get.pharo.org/64/stable: No such file or directory
bash-3.2$ curl https://get.pharo.org/64/stable | bash
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0curl: (7) Couldn't connect to server

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.feenk.com

"Things happen when they happen,
not when you talk about them happening."

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

EstebanLM

> On 22 Jan 2019, at 21:26, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On HackerNews, people are trying to run the factorial example from the main page and that does not work. It currently looks like this:
>
> $ curl https://get.pharo.org | bash
> $ ./pharo Pharo.image eval "42 factorial”
>
> But, the path is incorrect. It should probably be more like:
>
> $ wget -O- https://get.pharo.org/64/stable | bash
> $ ./pharo Pharo.image eval "42 factorial”
>
> Somehow curl did not work on my machine. It says:
> $ https://get.pharo.org/64/stable | bash
> bash: https://get.pharo.org/64/stable: No such file or directory
> bash-3.2$ curl https://get.pharo.org/64/stable | bash
>  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
>                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
>  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0curl: (7) Couldn't connect to server

Damn it.
I fixed it (and made it point to 64bit which will work better on linux in general)

Esteban

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> On Jan 22, 2019, at 6:59 PM, Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The Discord channel could use some human replies as well, some
>> newcomers are coming with basic questions about getting started with
>> Pharo (and Pharo Launcher), so basic that I don't have a canonical
>> answer (because I work around these issues using my shenanigans).
>>
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

>>> Please join, this is going really well: 100+ upvotes, 60+ comments (both are important).
>>> Let's keep the momentum going (this is a unique chance to get some publicity).
>>

> --
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Things happen when they happen,
> not when you talk about them happening."

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

Tudor Girba-2
Great. I confirm that it works now :)

Doru

> On Jan 22, 2019, at 9:49 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 22 Jan 2019, at 21:26, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On HackerNews, people are trying to run the factorial example from the main page and that does not work. It currently looks like this:
>>
>> $ curl https://get.pharo.org | bash
>> $ ./pharo Pharo.image eval "42 factorial”
>>
>> But, the path is incorrect. It should probably be more like:
>>
>> $ wget -O- https://get.pharo.org/64/stable | bash
>> $ ./pharo Pharo.image eval "42 factorial”
>>
>> Somehow curl did not work on my machine. It says:
>> $ https://get.pharo.org/64/stable | bash
>> bash: https://get.pharo.org/64/stable: No such file or directory
>> bash-3.2$ curl https://get.pharo.org/64/stable | bash
>> % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
>>                                Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
>> 0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0curl: (7) Couldn't connect to server
>
> Damn it.
> I fixed it (and made it point to 64bit which will work better on linux in general)
>
> Esteban
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>>> On Jan 22, 2019, at 6:59 PM, Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Discord channel could use some human replies as well, some
>>> newcomers are coming with basic questions about getting started with
>>> Pharo (and Pharo Launcher), so basic that I don't have a canonical
>>> answer (because I work around these issues using my shenanigans).
>>>
>>> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> --
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Things happen when they happen,
>> not when you talk about them happening."

--
www.feenk.com

"Innovation comes in the least expected form.
That is, if it is expected, it already happened."

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote

Wow! 13 hours without any hardcore flame wars. We are improving ;-)

EstebanLM wrote
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/aimwlh/pharo_70_released/

Ew, not as warm and fuzzy here ha ha

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

NorbertHartl
Congratulations to you all! It has been a hard piece of work which was postponed 9 months. But the changes to collaboration process, build process, 64 bit maturing and huge list of things  was worth it. Hopefully the next version is less huge.

Happy to be able to take part!!!

Norbert

Am 22.01.2019 um 14:36 schrieb Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:

Pharo 7.0 released!
===============

> [...]

(If you contributed with Pharo 7.0 development in any way and we missed your name, please send us a mail and we will add you).

Enjoy!
The Pharo Team

Try Pharo: http://pharo.org/download
Learn Pharo: http://pharo.org/documentation

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

NorbertHartl

> Am 23.01.2019 um 04:13 schrieb Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:
>
> EstebanLM wrote
>> https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18968116
>
> Wow! 13 hours without any hardcore flame wars. We are improving ;-)

Well, I‘m always amazed how negative people are. But on the other hand there is some truth in there. If we don‘t focus on how people encounter pharo the first time it is not getting easier.
And we should professionalize our environment. That there was a gateway timeout when people tried to access it is just not good. I don‘t mind if it is a ridiculous setting in Inria or if it is a prototypical, not maintained CMS that is the root of trouble.

Norbert

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

Esteban A. Maringolo
El mié., 23 ene. 2019 a las 4:50, Norbert Hartl (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
> > Am 23.01.2019 um 04:13 schrieb Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:

> >> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/aimwlh/pharo_70_released/
> > Ew, not as warm and fuzzy here ha ha
>
> Well, I‘m always amazed how negative people are.
> But on the other hand there is some truth in there.

Internet comments are mean, but if somebody wants to try something and
it doesn't work or is too cumbersome (for his standards), then they
never get to experience the good part and just rant about what they
went through.

Thing is, we're not the test group to measure whether it's cumbersome
or not, unless it is somebody who does UX a lot, and even so, it is
better to check with "foreigners".

> If we don‘t focus on how people encounter pharo the first time it is not getting easier.

"Make easy things easy, and hard things possible."

Considering the huge version change log I believe we started from the
last part :)

In any case, I think Pharo 7 is a huge milestone so let's celebrate
and thank to all who contributed.
We can improve the above described issues in the next major release.

Regards.

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

Denis Kudriashov
Congrats guys.
Wish you hard party in Lille :)

вт, 22 янв. 2019 г. в 13:37, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
Pharo 7.0 released!
===============

[...]

NorbertHartl wrote
> But on the other hand there is some truth in there

True. I thought most of the suggestions I read on Hacker News were
particularly constructive.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
I don't understand why the mooc is pushed when people want documentation.  Some people just want to read.

I kept pushing on http://books.pharo.org - I think we don't push that enough.  Tons of great info there.

On Jan 23, 2019, at 5:35 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

 I thought most of the suggestions I read on Hacker News were
particularly constructive.

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

K K Subbu
On 23/01/19 2:19 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> $ curl https://get.pharo.org  | bash
> $ ./pharo Pharo.image eval "42 factorial”

This should be "curl -L" so that redirects are followed automatically.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: [ANN] Pharo 7.0 released!

hernanmd

Just want to congratulate for the big achievements in this new release.
I am trying it right now and it looks very stable!
Great work guys!
Cheers,

Hernán

El mar., 22 ene. 2019 a las 10:37, Esteban Lorenzano (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Pharo 7.0 released!
===============

On 24 Jan 2019, at 09:23, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just want to congratulate for the big achievements in this new release.
I am trying it right now and it looks very stable!
Great work guys!

:)
Just for the record, I’m using same image since 3 monts (and to do some very heavy work).
And image has not grown more than normal, and everything still works smooth.

So yes, bugs and limitations aside (there will always be one and the other), this may be the most stable version we have made since P3 :P

[...]

philippeback

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 11:17 AM Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 24 Jan 2019, at 09:23, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just want to congratulate for the big achievements in this new release.
I am trying it right now and it looks very stable!
Great work guys!

:)
Just for the record, I’m using same image since 3 monts (and to do some very heavy work).
And image has not grown more than normal, and everything still works smooth.

So yes, bugs and limitations aside (there will always be one and the other), this may be the most stable version we have made since P3 :P

Wonderful. Really.

Stability is key indeed.

Now, how do you deal with freezing images? Because let's be honest, this happens and is super frustrating.

As the lead engineer on Pharo, you have for sure interesting tricks on that front.

I have been also frustrated by Epica and code recovery because things happened that were "weird" (for the lack of a better factual word).
Tricks on that as well?

Phil

[...]

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 24 Jan 2019, at 12:26, [hidden email] wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 11:17 AM Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 24 Jan 2019, at 09:23, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Just want to congratulate for the big achievements in this new release.
>> I am trying it right now and it looks very stable!
>> Great work guys!
>
> :)
> Just for the record, I’m using same image since 3 monts (and to do some very heavy work).
> And image has not grown more than normal, and everything still works smooth.
>
> So yes, bugs and limitations aside (there will always be one and the other), this may be the most stable version we have made since P3 :P
>
> Wonderful. Really.
>
> Stability is key indeed.
>
> Now, how do you deal with freezing images? Because let's be honest, this happens and is super frustrating.
>
> As the lead engineer on Pharo, you have for sure interesting tricks on that front.
>
> I have been also frustrated by Epica and code recovery because things happened that were "weird" (for the lack of a better factual word).
> Tricks on that as well?

Problems do happen for sure.

But when Esteban or most Pharo developers are talking about 'Pharo' we usually mean the latest version (P7 right now).

Epicea most probably improved quite a bit since it first appeared several versions ago, same for Iceberg, same for Calypso.

> [...]
>> (If you contributed with Pharo 7.0 development in any way and we missed your name, please send us a mail and we will add you).

HilaireFernandes
It can't be more clearly articulated.

Negative feedbacks are more valuable than positive feedbacks.

Hilaire

Le 23/01/2019 à 08:49, Norbert Hartl a écrit :
> Well, I‘m always amazed how negative people are. But on the other hand there is some truth in there. If we don‘t focus on how people encounter pharo the first time it is not getting easier.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

12