[ANN] Pharo Compendium

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

time flows and Pharo-Project is improving on all ends since its inception in 2008. As you know over time for the code project hosting we used
SqueakSource, SS3 repos and other and later switched to SmalltalkHub available on http://smalltalkhub.com.
Starting with Iceberg in Pharo 6 many community projects are now hosted elsewhere - most of them moved to GitHub. Pharo's git support allows
also for GitLab, BitBucket and other git hosting services.

I still think easy and quick accessibility to external (re)sources directly from the image is key - especially for new users who often get lost
among all the various things that are available. Back in 2013 I therefore provided a small tool called ConfigBrowser as a replacement for
MetacelloConfigurationBrowser to easily load Metacello configs directly into Pharo.

Later we improved quick loading with a primary tool called "Catalog" written by Esteban. Catalog is indexing every 24 hours all configs within
specific meta-repositories on SmalltalkHub (per Pharo version) like

  http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo80

to automatically build

   http://catalog.pharo.org/

and also a JSON source

   http://catalog.pharo.org/catalog/json

The last one feeds the catalog browser and catalog spotter search within the Pharo image.

So Catalog helped us and especially new Pharo users to find what is available as external project or package. Unfortunately some package maintainers
are too lazy and do not maintain their configs over old and new Pharo versions. Also SmalltalkHub.com is now seen as legacy and will only be available
in a read only mode or as a browseable archive soon.

So we have to think about others steps beyond Catalog and (triggered by a recent discussion on Discord) I started now a simple tool that helped me
finding all GitHub projects marked with "pharo" as GitHub topic. I additionally also added previous catalog loading. More sources could be added
as well as some kind of custom stores/plugins. Maybe this tool could be the base for a future replacement of the catalog tool.

Long story short - let me introduce "Pharo Compendium":

Compendium is a new UI tool to list, browse and load Pharo artefacts from the web like:

 - GitHub Projects
 - Catalog Projects

and other

By default there are two plugin packages available for GitHub and Catalog - but you can implement own ones easily to connect to other sources
on the web. Compendium is available on:

   https://github.com/astares/Pharo-Compendium

It is implemented using the new Spec2 UI framework - so you need a recent Pharo 9 image to give it a try. Just run:

    Metacello new
        repository: 'github://astares/Pharo-Compendium/src';
        baseline: 'Compendium';
        load

to load the tool. Then go to "Tools" -> "Compendium Browser". Attached is a screenshot demoing the primary functionality.

If you want your GitHub project to be listed in the tool you simply need to add the topic "pharo" to the GitHub repository on the GitHub webpage.

Feel free to comment or help improving the tool by sending PR's.

Thx
T. (aka astares)

compendium.png (334K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Pharo Compendium

Esteban A. Maringolo
Excellent Torsten!

I guess it will not work in Pharo 8 because of the Spec 2 requirement. Right?

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> [...]

> and other
>
> By default there are two plugin packages available for GitHub and Catalog - but you can implement own ones easily to connect to other sources
> on the web. Compendium is available on:
>
>    https://github.com/astares/Pharo-Compendium
>
> It is implemented using the new Spec2 UI framework - so you need a recent Pharo 9 image to give it a try. Just run:
>
>     Metacello new
>         repository: 'github://astares/Pharo-Compendium/src';
>         baseline: 'Compendium';
>         load
>
> to load the tool. Then go to "Tools" -> "Compendium Browser". Attached is a screenshot demoing the primary functionality.
>
> If you want your GitHub project to be listed in the tool you simply need to add the topic "pharo" to the GitHub repository on the GitHub webpage.
>
> Feel free to comment or help improving the tool by sending PR's.

Re: [ANN] Pharo Compendium

Stéphane Ducasse
It can probably work in P8 because parts of Spec20 are working in P8 but not all the features and widgets like tables and others.
But torsten will tell us.

On 3 May 2020, at 17:34, Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

       repository: '<a href="github://astares/Pharo-Compendium/src" class="">github://astares/Pharo-Compendium/src';
       baseline: 'Compendium';
       load

to load the tool. Then go to "Tools" -> "Compendium Browser". Attached is a screenshot demoing the primary functionality.

If you want your GitHub project to be listed in the tool you simply need to add the topic "pharo" to the GitHub repository on the GitHub webpage.

Feel free to comment or help improving the tool by sending PR's.

Thx
T. (aka astares)

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: [ANN] Pharo Compendium

Torsten Bergmann
Yes - I was developing on P9 and never tried it in Pharo 8. But I checked now - seems to work without
any problem there as well.

Thx
T.

Re: [ANN] Pharo Compendium

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Great work, Torsten, works like a charm !

Since all Github projects have a README.md maybe that could be used as well, it will certainly contain more information.

Most projects have several keyswords as well, that could be useful to show.

Also, why not add a 'clone & metacello install baseline of' command ?

Another idea: allow spotter searching of the pharo compendium entries ?

Sven

> [...]
>
> and other
>
> By default there are two plugin packages available for GitHub and Catalog - but you can implement own ones easily to connect to other sources
> on the web. Compendium is available on:
>
>   https://github.com/astares/Pharo-Compendium
>
> It is implemented using the new Spec2 UI framework - so you need a recent Pharo 9 image to give it a try. Just run:
>
>    Metacello new
> repository: 'github://astares/Pharo-Compendium/src';
> baseline: 'Compendium';
> load
>
> to load the tool. Then go to "Tools" -> "Compendium Browser". Attached is a screenshot demoing the primary functionality.
>
> If you want your GitHub project to be listed in the tool you simply need to add the topic "pharo" to the GitHub repository on the GitHub webpage.
>
> Feel free to comment or help improving the tool by sending PR's.

Re: [ANN] Pharo Compendium

In the past we added metadata to manifest.
And the compedium could take advantage of that.
We will have to work on it (end of the month).

On 4 May 2020, at 01:33, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes - I was developing on P9 and never tried it in Pharo 8. But I checked now - seems to work without
any problem there as well.

Thx
T.

France

Re: [ANN] Pharo Compendium

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Sven,

I added spotter search now. I prefixed the github spotter entries additionally with the user name (owner).
This way you will be able to quickly find tagged public projects by keying in the project and/or username.

See attached picture for an example.

Catalog loading is possible via spotter too.

Have fun
T.

> [...]
> >
> > and other
> >
> > By default there are two plugin packages available for GitHub and Catalog - but you can implement own ones easily to connect to other sources
> > on the web. Compendium is available on:
> >
> >   https://github.com/astares/Pharo-Compendium
> >
> > It is implemented using the new Spec2 UI framework - so you need a recent Pharo 9 image to give it a try. Just run:
> >
> >    Metacello new
> > repository: 'github://astares/Pharo-Compendium/src';
> > baseline: 'Compendium';
> > load
> >
> > to load the tool. Then go to "Tools" -> "Compendium Browser". Attached is a screenshot demoing the primary functionality.
> >
> > If you want your GitHub project to be listed in the tool you simply need to add the topic "pharo" to the GitHub repository on the GitHub webpage.
> >
> > Feel free to comment or help improving the tool by sending PR's.

Compendium_Spotter.jpg (138K) Download Attachment

<Compendium_Spotter.jpg>

Re: [ANN] Pharo Compendium

cedreek
Really great tool Torsten :)

I tagged some of my repo to test. I reseted the stores because they wasn’t showing. It seems to load but then when querying in spotter, I got an error message because of non authentification.

I went in in the (iceberg) settings, checked then unchecked the default RSA keys directory (by the way is it a know bug or is it just me ?).

It worked after, I mean no error when querying spotter.

Still I don’t see my projects. I’ll try later but if you have an idea...

Cheers,
Cédrick

Le 12 mai 2020 à 16:35, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Sven,

I added spotter search now. I prefixed the github spotter entries additionally with the user name (owner).
This way you will be able to quickly find tagged public projects by keying in the project and/or username.

See attached picture for an example.

Catalog loading is possible via spotter too.

Have fun
T.

<Compendium_Spotter.jpg>

Re: [ANN] Pharo Compendium

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Cédrick,

The GitHub part is based on an open public GitHub HTTP query - which has some limits:
 - it does not return private repos, only public ones
 - it has a rate limit to not bring servers down

Maybe there is a way to overcome these limits via authentication, yes. But most of my projects are
public - so for me this was not a problem yet. And the initial idea of Compendium is to find public
resources available to all users - not private ones available to single ones.

If time permits I might look into this ... but not now.

Bye
T.

 Gesendet: Mittwoch, 06. Mai 2020 um 14:24 Uhr
Von: "Sven Van Caekenberghe" <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]>
An: "Any question about pharo is welcome" <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]>

SqueakSource, SS3 repos and other and later switched to SmalltalkHub available on http://smalltalkhub.com[http://smalltalkhub.com].
Starting with Iceberg in Pharo 6 many community projects are now hosted elsewhere - most of them moved to GitHub. Pharo's git support allows
also for GitLab, BitBucket and other git hosting services.

I still think easy and quick accessibility to external (re)sources directly from the image is key - especially for new users who often get lost
among all the various things that are available. Back in 2013 I therefore provided a small tool called ConfigBrowser as a replacement for
MetacelloConfigurationBrowser to easily load Metacello configs directly into Pharo.

Later we improved quick loading with a primary tool called "Catalog" written by Esteban. Catalog is indexing every 24 hours all configs within
specific meta-repositories on SmalltalkHub (per Pharo version) like

http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo80[http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo80]

to automatically build

 http://catalog.pharo.org/[http://catalog.pharo.org/]

and also a JSON source

 http://catalog.pharo.org/catalog/json[http://catalog.pharo.org/catalog/json]

are too lazy and do not maintain their configs over old and new Pharo versions. Also SmalltalkHub.com[http://SmalltalkHub.com] is now seen as legacy and will only be available

 https://github.com/astares/Pharo-Compendium[https://github.com/astares/Pharo-Compendium]

It is implemented using the new Spec2 UI framework - so you need a recent Pharo 9 image to give it a try. Just run:

  Metacello new
repository: 'github://astares/Pharo-Compendium/src';
baseline: 'Compendium';
load

to load the tool. Then go to "Tools" -> "Compendium Browser". Attached is a screenshot demoing the primary functionality.

If you want your GitHub project to be listed in the tool you simply need to add the topic "pharo" to the GitHub repository on the GitHub webpage.

Feel free to comment or help improving the tool by sending PR's.

Thx
T. (aka astares)

<compendium.png>

 <Compendium_Spotter.jpg>

Re: [ANN] Pharo Compendium

cedreek
Hi Torsten,

Hi Cédrick,

The GitHub part is based on an open public GitHub HTTP query - which has some limits:
 - it does not return private repos, only public ones
 - it has a rate limit to not bring servers down

Maybe there is a way to overcome these limits via authentication, yes. But most of my projects are
public - so for me this was not a problem yet.

I tried with public ones (I don’t think I have a private or maybe because I tried once).
It seems it was related to my authentification problem.

What I did wad adding the « pharo » tag to some project after I loaded and tried Compendium. So the crawler hadn’t seen them. Browsing the code, I managed to reset the cache. And then, when typing my GitHub name (cdrick65), it started downloading stuff but wasn’t showing anything after.

I’ll try again in a new image.

And the initial idea of Compendium is to find public
resources available to all users - not private ones available to single ones.

If time permits I might look into this ... but not now.

No hurry ;), already a great tool to load packages ! I love it.

What would be great is to access a summary info (the readme.md ?) and show for instance in the spotter search (but no hurry too).
And as time allows, I’ll surely try to hack it because possibilities are endless :)

Cheers,
Cédrick

Bye
T.

 Gesendet: Mittwoch, 06. Mai 2020 um 14:24 Uhr
Von: "Sven Van Caekenberghe" <[hidden email][[hidden email]]>
An: "Any question about pharo is welcome" <[hidden email][[hidden email]]>

SqueakSource, SS3 repos and other and later switched to SmalltalkHub available on <a href="http://smalltalkhub.com[http://smalltalkhub.com" style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class="">http://smalltalkhub.com[http://smalltalkhub.com].