[ANN] Pharo Glorp port release

Guillermo Polito
Hi!

We are reaaaaally happy to announce (at last) a very very stable release of the new Glorp port :D.  We've done a lot to achieve the following results with Glorp:

OpenDBX Oracle:
- 7 errors related to Blobs, which are not supported by opendbx.
- 1 failure related to timestamp cast (and I don't understand the test intention yet :P)

OpenDBX MySql:
- 100% green tests :D

OpenDBX PostgreSQL:
- 7 errors and 1 failure related to Blobs, which are not supported by opendbx (again).

OpenDBX SQLite:
- 6 failures related to large objects, which are not supported by opendbx (again again).. 2 (expected) failures related to times & dates.

Native PostgresV2 Driver:
- 2 failures with blobs

So far, some FAQs:

¿What is the difference between this port and the old one?
Almost 4 years of work of the VW team with tons of bugfixing (see the last 4 years release notes from Glorp for more detail :P)

¿How can I load it?
If you want to load Glorp + OpenDBX, you can try the following:

Gofer it
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX';
    load.

(((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX) perform: #project) perform: #version: with: #stable) load

Also, you can try loading only Glorp (maybe because you want to integrate it with your own database driver):

Gofer it
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfGlorp';
    load.

(((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfGlorp) perform: #project) perform: #version: with: #stable) load

¿How did we test it?
We've tested it in Pharo 1.2 and Pharo 1.3 + Jenkins CogVms.

¿What's coming next?
We are working for your happiness (?).

Hehe, our next step is to release the DBXMagritte project, which aims to allow people working in the Software business to create easy CRUD -the same scaffolding idea from RoR for example- including some of the following features:

- (create a class model + magritte descriptions) from a database schema
- [if you already have a descripted class model] use magritte descriptions to create a database schema
- use magritte descriptions to create glorp mappings

And then, you can use the same descriptions for your Seaside app, or in every magritte-friend framework you like ;)

So, thanks again to ESUG for sponsoring the project :).

Guillermo, Santiago, Gisela, Mariano, Esteban and Diogenes

Re: [ANN] Pharo Glorp port release

Laszlo Zsolt Kiss
Hi!
I can't install this for the latest clean 1.3 #13310 image with the newest Cog VM.
I attached the captured screen and the PharoDebug file.
Best regards
László Zsolt

"Pharo Development" <[hidden email]>, "A friendly place where any question about pharo is welcome" <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>, "ESUG Mailing list" <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>

Sent:
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 01:43:04 -0300
Subject:
[Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo Glorp port release

[...]

=?UTF-8?B?UGhhcm8gMS4zICMxMzMxMCBHbG9ycC5KUEc=?= (185K) Download Attachment
=?UTF-8?B?UGhhcm9EZWJ1Zy5sb2c=?= (36K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Pharo Glorp port release

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Laszlo Zsolt Kiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!
I can't install this for the latest clean 1.3 #13310 image with the newest Cog VM.
I attached the captured screen and the PharoDebug file.

Hi. Sorry for the stupid mistake. Please take #postLoadGlorpDriverDBXTalkPharo  and comment the line "Transcript display." and proceed :)

Cheers

Best regards
László Zsolt

"Pharo Development" <[hidden email]>, "A friendly place where any question about pharo is welcome" <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>, "ESUG Mailing list" <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>

Sent:
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 01:43:04 -0300
Subject:

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [ANN] Pharo Glorp port release

Mariano Martinez Peck

So, thanks again to ESUG for sponsoring the project :).

And thanks to Alan for all his help and effort in Glorp.

Guillermo, Santiago, Gisela, Mariano, Esteban and Diogenes

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo Glorp port release

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 26 Sep 2011, at 06:43, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> We are reaaaaally happy to announce (at last) a very very stable release of the new Glorp port :D.
> We've done a lot to achieve the following results with Glorp…

Thanks a lot, Guillermo and team, this is really important stuff !

I currently have no time to test this new release with my existing code, but I sure will do so at some point.

Regards,

Sven

Re: [ANN] Pharo Glorp port release

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 1:56 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

DBXTalk is good work!
I really love to see that stuff going forward!

Thanks.

Before I spend a lot of time playing around: has anybody tried using Pharo/GLORP/ODBC (Access or SQLSrv) on Windows?

Yes, but I have to admit that it's almost the most complicated scenario to configure. At least I know someone tried Pharo/Glorp/ODBC/SQL Server.
I think you can just give it a try. Get the dll of OpenDBX (they are in our website), get a Pharo VM that has a working FFI, and give it a try.

Or Pharo/GLORP/SQLite on Windows?

Yes, this works almost out of the box. In fact, I can provide you a zip that contains Pharo VM + image + opendbx dll + sqlite dll.

Is there some place on the web where I can find info on how to set this up?

In an open source context, this is probably a heretic question, and if I could choose freely, Linux and PostgresQL would be my favorite.

Sure, that's pretty easy. OpenDBX and PostgreSQL are easy to make it work in Linux.

OTOH: The fact that each windows installation comes with an Access engine and respective ODBC driver makes the combination very attractive for starting something on a windows machine really fast. No installation of anything but Pharo, no need for admin rights or anything. Just set up the odbc driver and off you go! Great chance to show the strength of Smalltalk and Glorp to other team members and friends...

well more or less. In the case of DBX you will need the OpenDBX library anyway, even if being ODBC. OpenDBX sees ODBC just as another backend. And of course, that's only if you like accessing by ODBC (which I don't like BTW).  Of course, you can create a database driver for Glorp that uses the ODBC driver of squeak in which case you wouldn't need the OpenDBX driver.

SQLite is a similar story: copy the dlls onto the machine and the journey can start.

yes, that's even easier. As I say, it can be provided in a "DBXOneClick" :)

Cheers