[ANN] Pharo Launcher 1.9.1 released

demarey
Hi all,

We are pleased to announce Pharo Launcher 1.9.1 release!
The goal of this release is to have a better Windows support. Indeed Pharo Launcher now uses a new library OSWinSubprocess (https://github.com/pharo-contributions/OSWinSubprocess) created for Pharo Launcher needs. This library allows to create Windows processes through ffi calls to the Windows API. It uses the unicode api, allowing paths with non-ascii characters.
In the same time, we switched from OSProcess to  OSSubprocess (Linux and OS X) that is now the preferred library to use to fork processes on Linux-based systems.

This release is not yet the default download of Pharo Launcher on Pharo web site because we want more feedback before promoting it.
Please use this link to install it: https://files.pharo.org/pharo-launcher/1.9 and let us know if this version works fine/better for you.

ps: For now, the binary is not signed but it will come soon.
ps2: Thanks to Keldon Alleyne for his PR on Pharo Launcher offering the first FFI binding to Windows process API

Regards,
The Pharo team.

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 1.9.1 released

Esteban A. Maringolo
Thanks,

I downloaded the latest one for Windows, and it seems to work, but the
"About" says Pharo Launcher is 1.6.

Looking at the installation directory at
<C:\Users\Esteban\AppData\Local\PharoLauncher\> the right files are
there, so it's just a matter of the text in the About dialog.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 5:33 AM Christophe Demarey
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are pleased to announce Pharo Launcher 1.9.1 release!
> The goal of this release is to have a better Windows support. Indeed Pharo Launcher now uses a new library OSWinSubprocess (https://github.com/pharo-contributions/OSWinSubprocess) created for Pharo Launcher needs. This library allows to create Windows processes through ffi calls to the Windows API. It uses the unicode api, allowing paths with non-ascii characters.
> In the same time, we switched from OSProcess to  OSSubprocess (Linux and OS X) that is now the preferred library to use to fork processes on Linux-based systems.
>
> This release is not yet the default download of Pharo Launcher on Pharo web site because we want more feedback before promoting it.
> Please use this link to install it: https://files.pharo.org/pharo-launcher/1.9 and let us know if this version works fine/better for you.
>
> ps: For now, the binary is not signed but it will come soon.
> ps2: Thanks to Keldon Alleyne for his PR on Pharo Launcher offering the first FFI binding to Windows process API
>
> Regards,
> The Pharo team.

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 1.9.1 released

demarey
Hi Esteban,

> Le 8 juil. 2019 à 14:24, Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Thanks,
>
> I downloaded the latest one for Windows, and it seems to work, but the
> "About" says Pharo Launcher is 1.6.

Strange because the version is set during the build on the CI server: ./pharo PharoLauncher.image eval --save 'PhLAboutCommand version: '\’'1.9.1'\'''

> Looking at the installation directory at
> <C:\Users\Esteban\AppData\Local\PharoLauncher\> the right files are
> there, so it's just a matter of the text in the About dialog.

Are you sure, you use the right version? To ensure, by using shif+entre in PharoLauncher, you should see OSWSWinProcess class.

Thanks for the feedback,
Christophe.

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 1.9.1 released

Esteban A. Maringolo
On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 9:39 AM Christophe Demarey
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Esteban,
>
> > Le 8 juil. 2019 à 14:24, Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > I downloaded the latest one for Windows, and it seems to work, but the
> > "About" says Pharo Launcher is 1.6.
>
> Strange because the version is set during the build on the CI server: ./pharo PharoLauncher.image eval --save 'PhLAboutCommand version: '\’'1.9.1'\'''
>
> > Looking at the installation directory at
> > <C:\Users\Esteban\AppData\Local\PharoLauncher\> the right files are
> > there, so it's just a matter of the text in the About dialog.
>
> Are you sure, you use the right version? To ensure, by using shif+entre in PharoLauncher, you should see OSWSWinProcess class.

I am sure, and also checked, because you never know... and the
installer copied the files in the same directory as the previous one,
but didn't overwrite them.

So I uninstalled the previous version and re-installed the latest one
and now it works fine (and faster, it seems).
Which makes me suspicious about whether the 1.8 was installed at all
last time I did it.

Thank you!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo Launcher 1.9.1 released

christophe

the name of the archive is confusing to me.
what is the diff between x64 and x86
which one is for mac?

On 8 Jul 2019, at 10:32, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 1.9.1 released

demarey

> Le 8 juil. 2019 à 19:48, Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 9:39 AM Christophe Demarey
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Esteban,
>>
>>> Le 8 juil. 2019 à 14:24, Esteban Maringolo <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> I downloaded the latest one for Windows, and it seems to work, but the
>>> "About" says Pharo Launcher is 1.6.
>>
>> Strange because the version is set during the build on the CI server: ./pharo PharoLauncher.image eval --save 'PhLAboutCommand version: '\’'1.9.1'\'''
>>
>>> Looking at the installation directory at
>>> <C:\Users\Esteban\AppData\Local\PharoLauncher\> the right files are
>>> there, so it's just a matter of the text in the About dialog.
>>
>> Are you sure, you use the right version? To ensure, by using shif+entre in PharoLauncher, you should see OSWSWinProcess class.
>
> I am sure, and also checked, because you never know... and the
> installer copied the files in the same directory as the previous one,
> but didn't overwrite them.
>
> So I uninstalled the previous version and re-installed the latest one
> and now it works fine (and faster, it seems).
> Which makes me suspicious about whether the 1.8 was installed at all
> last time I did it.

Hum. Good to know.
I will have to investigate on the installer behavior.

Thanks.

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 1.9.1 released

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
> we want more feedback before promoting it.

"Show in folder" doesn't work - still trying to use OSProcess which appears
to no longer be loaded. BTW IMHO it would be better to create a layer to
hide the process differences on different OSes. This new world of a
different lib for each OS is hopefully a milestone on a path to a more
unified future, and it will be harder to clean out all the "if windows"
conditionals later.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 1.9.1 released

demarey
Hi Sean,

Le 26 juil. 2019 à 15:23, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> a écrit :

demarey wrote
we want more feedback before promoting it.

"Show in folder" doesn't work - still trying to use OSProcess which appears
to no longer be loaded. BTW IMHO it would be better to create a layer to
hide the process differences on different OSes. This new world of a
different lib for each OS is hopefully a milestone on a path to a more
unified future, and it will be harder to clean out all the "if windows"
conditionals later.

True. I also discovered that juste after the 1.9.1 release.
That’s why I did the 1.9.2 release (see https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/releases/tag/1.9.2).
It is fixed in this version.

Christophe.