[ANN] Pharo Launcher 2.0 released!

demarey
Hi all,

Pharo Launcher 2.0 has just been released! It is available from http://pharo.org/download.

This new version introduces major changes:

Big thanks to all contributors, including issue reports. It is also the opportunity to thanks Damien Cassou, the original author of Pharo Launcher.

Here is the changelog:

The list of closed issue is too long (68) to be listed but you can browse it here: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+closed%3A2019-07-09..2020-04-17
Here are some highlights:

New features:

  • Documentation web site
  • Image initialisation script
  • Launch configurations, headless VM support
  • User template file in addition to the official template file
  • Jenkins server template now support pipeline projects
  • Support of private Jenkins server
  • Support of authenticated HTTP server

Improvements:

  • Monitoring of image launch failures to give back the error message (if any)
  • Newly created image is automatically selected in the image list
  • Allow to set image description at creation time
  • Better error management (you will have the choice to ignore them or debug them)
  • Add a poor version column in image list
  • Speedup (especially when image repository has a lot of images)

Bug fixes:

  • Fix use of system unzip on Windows

Regards,
The Pharo team.

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 2.0 released!

cedreek
Great Job. It looks indeed nicer.

One suggestion would be to add the help contextually. I tried to look at. There is description of commands and SpLinkPresenter but don’t think it’s easy to add. I wanted to add the ling in the help description.

For instance, the one to create an image for template:

Any way of doing that ?

Cheers,

Cédrick

Le 17 avr. 2020 à 18:08, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

The Pharo team.

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo Launcher 2.0 released!

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 18 Apr 2020, at 10:40, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Super cool
> Thanks a lot christophe for your effort.
> PharoLauncher changes our life.

+10

> [...]
>> • Documentation web site : All Pharo Launcher features are now explained in the new documentation available at https://pharo-project.github.io/pharo-launcher. You can contribute easily by clicking the *edit on GitHub* button.
>> • You can now have many launch configurations for an image (VM to use, vm and image arguments). It means you can use headless Pharo VM from Pharo Launcher.
>> • When creating a new image, you can specify an initialisation script that will be run once at the first image launch. It is useful to load your project code in a stock Pharo image for example. See https://pharo-project.github.io/pharo-launcher/create-images/#image-initialization-script
>> • You can now define your own template sources in addition to official sources (see https://pharo-project.github.io/pharo-launcher/templates/#create-your-own-list-of-template-categories), including authenticated sources.
>> • Improved image metadata. Pharo Launcher now manages all image metadata in a single STON file (including description, Pharo version).
>>
>> Big thanks to all contributors, including issue reports. It is also the opportunity to thanks Damien Cassou, the original author of Pharo Launcher.
>>
>> Here is the changelog:
>> Pharo Launcher v2.0
>>
>> The list of closed issue is too long (68) to be listed but you can browse it here: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+closed%3A2019-07-09..2020-04-17
>> Here are some highlights:
>> New features:
>>
>> • Documentation web site
>> • Image initialisation script
>> • Launch configurations, headless VM support
>> • User template file in addition to the official template file
>> • Jenkins server template now support pipeline projects
>> • Support of private Jenkins server
>> • Support of authenticated HTTP server
>> Improvements:
>>
>> • Monitoring of image launch failures to give back the error message (if any)
>> • Newly created image is automatically selected in the image list
>> • Allow to set image description at creation time
>> • Better error management (you will have the choice to ignore them or debug them)
>> • Add a poor version column in image list
>> • Speedup (especially when image repository has a lot of images)
>>
>> Bug fixes:
>>
>> • Fix use of system unzip on Windows
>>
>> Regards,
>> The Pharo team.

> Stéphane Ducasse
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
> 03 59 35 87 52
> Assistant: Julie Jonas
> FAX 03 59 57 78 50
> TEL 03 59 35 86 16
> S. Ducasse - Inria
> 40, avenue Halley,
> Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza

Re: [Pharo-dev] [SPAM] Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 2.0 released!

demarey
Hi Graham,

Le 18 avr. 2020 à 11:30, Graham McLeod <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi

This looks like a major update with some very welcome features and improved UI.
Very welcome and thanks for the work!

One item I would like to see is a mention in the help on implications of upgrading from the existing
Pharo launcher. Bit nervous to install when I don't know what will become of existing configurations in the old one.
I am assuming that the new one is independent and will simply start off blank. It would be nice to have this tackled in the
documentation. Maybe a short section on "Moving your configurations / images from the old Launcher ».

Yes, you’re right!
Pharo Launcher is mostly compatible with the previous one.
When using Pharo Launcher 2.0, image metadata will be converted from the old format to the new one.
I added an upgrade section on Pharo Launcher documentation: https://pharo-project.github.io/pharo-launcher/installation/#upgrade-notes

Tell me if this is enough.
Regards,
Christophe

Re: [Pharo-dev] [SPAM] Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 2.0 released!

Esteban A. Maringolo
Thanks, I will check it as soon as Pharo.org gets back online!

[1] https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/pharo.org

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 10:48 AM Christophe Demarey
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Graham,
>

> Le 18 avr. 2020 à 11:30, Graham McLeod <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi
>
> This looks like a major update with some very welcome features and improved UI.
> Very welcome and thanks for the work!
>
> One item I would like to see is a mention in the help on implications of upgrading from the existing
> Pharo launcher. Bit nervous to install when I don't know what will become of existing configurations in the old one.
> I am assuming that the new one is independent and will simply start off blank. It would be nice to have this tackled in the
> documentation. Maybe a short section on "Moving your configurations / images from the old Launcher ».
>

> Yes, you’re right!
> Pharo Launcher is mostly compatible with the previous one.
> When using Pharo Launcher 2.0, image metadata will be converted from the old format to the new one.
> I added an upgrade section on Pharo Launcher documentation: https://pharo-project.github.io/pharo-launcher/installation/#upgrade-notes
>
> Tell me if this is enough.
> Regards,
> Christophe

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 2.0 released!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
> This new version introduces major changes:

Wow! Quite a feature list :)

demarey wrote
> The UI has been fully rewritten using the new Spec2 framework

This is really encouraging as to Spec2's readiness for real applications.

demarey wrote
> Documentation web site : All Pharo Launcher features are now explained in
> the new documentation available... You can contribute easily by clicking
> the *edit on GitHub* button.

Impressive. No easy task to document every feature and kudos that it's so
easy for the community to contribute.

demarey wrote
> You can now define your own template sources in addition to official
> sources

Awesome! I had hacked this together but it would reset every time he sources
file updated.

demarey wrote
> It is available from http://pharo.org/download
> &lt;http://pharo.org/download&gt;.

Small nitpick: Everyone please use the secure URL i.e.
https://pharo.org/download

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 2.0 released!

eftomi
Congratulations on the new launcher! The experience is far better than with the previous version, nice work!

I noticed something peculiar - I have two computers and am syncing the folders structure between them. If I create a new Pharo 8.0 image, work on it on this machine and finish, then it gets copied to the second machine. PharoLouncher on this second machine sees the image, however nothing happens if I lounch it. This happens also vice-versa with a new image on the second machine and its copy on the first.

Both machines share the locations of
- template source files
- image inicialization scripts
- images
- VMs

This happens on Windows 10. This kind of setup worked with previous version of launcher.

Best wishes,
Tomaz

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 2.0 released!

demarey
Hi Tomaz,

Le 19 avr. 2020 à 19:36, Tomaž Turk <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Congratulations on the new launcher! The experience is far better than with the previous version, nice work!

thanks.

I noticed something peculiar - I have two computers and am syncing the folders structure between them. If I create a new Pharo 8.0 image, work on it on this machine and finish, then it gets copied to the second machine. PharoLouncher on this second machine sees the image, however nothing happens if I lounch it. This happens also vice-versa with a new image on the second machine and its copy on the first.

Both machines share the locations of
- template source files
- image inicialization scripts
- images
- VMs

This happens on Windows 10. This kind of setup worked with previous version of launcher.

If it worked with previous version, there is no reason it should not work with the current Pharo Launcher version.
Please, could you open an issue on https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues ?
If you can join the content of both metadata files of an image created on each computer with the same origin template (ex: pharo 8).

Regards,
Christophe

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 2.0 released!

demarey
Hi Cédrick,

Le 18 avr. 2020 à 10:09, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Great Job. It looks indeed nicer.

One suggestion would be to add the help contextually. I tried to look at. There is description of commands and SpLinkPresenter but don’t think it’s easy to add. I wanted to add the ling in the help description.

Indeed, good idea. Unfortunately, Spec2 does not yet allow to mix text and links.
Probably a new presenter would be needed to support this scenario. Also, it depends on what is doable with the gtk backend.
Esteban?

Cheers,
Christophe

For instance, the one to create an image for template:

Any way of doing that ?

<GraphiqueCollé-7.png>

[...]

Hi Christophe,

> If it worked with previous version, there is no reason it should not work with the current Pharo Launcher version.

I think I found the reason - new meta-inf.ston files include absolute paths to image and VM, and those are different on my machines. I'm putting them on the same path.

Thanks and best wishes,
Tomaz

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 2.0 released!

eftomi
> I think I found the reason - new meta-inf.ston files include absolute paths to image and VM, and those are different on my machines. I'm putting them on the same path.

Unfortunately, having images on the same path doesn't help. It helps if you delete meta-inf file after copying. I opened the issue.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Tomaz

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher 2.0 released!

Julien Delplanque-2

Hello Christophe,

I just updated my launcher and this new version looks awesome.

Thanks a lot for this work.

Julien

Le 17/04/20 à 18:08, Christophe Demarey a écrit :
[...]

Regards,
The Pharo team.

Deleting images / saving as - in Pharo Launcher auncher

cedreek
Hi Christophe,

This version is definitely cooler :)

I just wander as for the previous version why deleting image can take some time, whereas it’s quick to delete the image repository. Is it normal ?

Another thing that might help my way of doing things. I like to "save as" the image so as to have a quick check point, and the launcher is not « friendly » with renaming as it loads the default image.

Any idea on how to integrate that ? Maybe having a list of images that pops-up ?

Cédrick

Re: Deleting images / saving as - in Pharo Launcher auncher

demarey
Hi Cédrick,

> Le 7 mai 2020 à 08:24, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi Christophe,
>

> This version is definitely cooler :)

Thanks

> I just wander as for the previous version why deleting image can take some time, whereas it’s quick to delete the image repository. Is it normal ?

In Pharo, deleting files is slow because Pharo visits all the files to delete to check if there are file descriptors opened on these files to close them.
I think it is something that could be improved. In many situations, you know you do not have descriptors on these files and we could have a method to delete without doing the check, just the system call, without visiting the tree.

> Another thing that might help my way of doing things. I like to "save as" the image so as to have a quick check point, and the launcher is not « friendly » with renaming as it loads the default image.
>
> Any idea on how to integrate that ? Maybe having a list of images that pops-up ?

For this feature, I have no good idea for now.
I had in mind to use a tree instead of a list of images. You could expand if there are more than one image and see other images in the folder.
The problem is for the metadata file: we could assume that other images should use the same metadata as the core image and use them to run the image. (For now, the metadata filename is the same for all images).

« Saves a copy » : do you mean you copy the full folder to another name ?

Cheers,
Christophe

On 14 May 2020, at 23:20, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Cédrick,

Le 7 mai 2020 à 08:24, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Christophe,

This version is definitely cooler :)

Thanks

I just wander as for the previous version why deleting image can take some time, whereas it’s quick to delete the image repository. Is it normal ?

In Pharo, deleting files is slow because Pharo visits all the files to delete to check if there are file descriptors opened on these files to close them.
I think it is something that could be improved. In many situations, you know you do not have descriptors on these files and we could have a method to delete without doing the check, just the system call, without visiting the tree.

+ 1

Yes we should introduce a massiveFolder delete.

France

Re: Deleting images / saving as - in Pharo Launcher auncher

cedreek
Thanks for the explanation Christophe.

The tree might be a good idea.

> « Saves a copy » : do you mean you copy the full folder to another name ?

I mean that when I « save as », I do it mainly because I know my next code evaluation could crash the image ^^.

So basically, what I need is to save a copy of the image (timestamped eventually) but still using the original one. **So later, in case of crash, I can roll back to a previous backup**.

That is far easier to implement I guess than the tree and that would be **very** useful to me at least ;-)

Not sure, but I also think we should enforce by default to share the iceberg repo. For most people, top save sandwich, etc, it seems a better direction to me. This is optional right now but can’t we change the default ?

Cheers,

Cédrick

> Cheers,
> Christophe

Re: Deleting images / saving as - in Pharo Launcher auncher

Tim Mackinnon
I find I do the same sort of precautionary measure (and probably would do it more if launcher supported this use case and helped me manage those snaphot images) - I view it a bit like how TimeMachine lets you see previous versions of files - yes the source code is versioned, but its just the useful execution state and window layouts that are handy to hold on to. Equally, I don't need too many of these images - and indeed want them to expire (but happy to manage that myself - its just a simple counter, or time snapshot that would make this very handy).

Thanks for mentioning it Cedrick

Tim

On Fri, 15 May 2020, at 8:54 AM, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation Christophe.
>
> The tree might be a good idea.

> > « Saves a copy » : do you mean you copy the full folder to another name ?
>
> I mean that when I « save as », I do it mainly because I know my next
> code evaluation could crash the image ^^.
>
> So basically, what I need is to save a copy of the image (timestamped
> eventually) but still using the original one. **So later, in case of
> crash, I can roll back to a previous backup**.
>
> That is far easier to implement I guess than the tree and that would be
> **very** useful to me at least ;-)
>

> Not sure, but I also think we should enforce by default to share the
> iceberg repo. For most people, top save sandwich, etc, it seems a
> better direction to me. This is optional right now but can’t we change
> the default ?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Cédrick
>

> > Cheers,
> > Christophe

Re: Deleting images / saving as - in Pharo Launcher auncher

cedreek
And thanks you for supporting it and describing it better :)

This is an addition I hacked but I lost the code ^^ (was really hacks).
I’m pretty sure that would be easy to implement for « core dev » .

Basically, this is another save as, maybe  « save version  » ?
Then the "save as » should be deactivated in launcher probably.

Cheers,
Cédrick

> Le 15 mai 2020 à 11:13, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> I find I do the same sort of precautionary measure (and probably would do it more if launcher supported this use case and helped me manage those snaphot images) - I view it a bit like how TimeMachine lets you see previous versions of files - yes the source code is versioned, but its just the useful execution state and window layouts that are handy to hold on to. Equally, I don't need too many of these images - and indeed want them to expire (but happy to manage that myself - its just a simple counter, or time snapshot that would make this very handy).
>
> Thanks for mentioning it Cedrick
>
> Tim
>
> On Fri, 15 May 2020, at 8:54 AM, Cédrick Béler wrote:
>> Thanks for the explanation Christophe.
>>
>> The tree might be a good idea.

>>> « Saves a copy » : do you mean you copy the full folder to another name ?
>>
>> I mean that when I « save as », I do it mainly because I know my next
>> code evaluation could crash the image ^^.
>>
>> So basically, what I need is to save a copy of the image (timestamped
>> eventually) but still using the original one. **So later, in case of
>> crash, I can roll back to a previous backup**.
>>
>> That is far easier to implement I guess than the tree and that would be
>> **very** useful to me at least ;-)
>>

>> Not sure, but I also think we should enforce by default to share the
>> iceberg repo. For most people, top save sandwich, etc, it seems a
>> better direction to me. This is optional right now but can’t we change
>> the default ?
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cédrick
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Christophe

[ANN] Pharo Launcher 2.2 released!

demarey
Hi all,

Pharo Launcher 2.2 has just been released! It is available from http://pharo.org/download.
It is mostly a bug fix release but it comes with some enhancements. Full log is available at

Regards