[ANN] Pharo Launcher v1.2 release

demarey
Hi all,

I just released PharoLauncher 1.2. It includes a new windows installer that you can use without administrator privileges as well as binary signing for OS X and Windows. Also, Pharo Launcher is not anymore identified as ‘Pharo’ application and comes with its own icon.

Here is the changelog (details on https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues):
New features:
#21 Bless the DMG
#46 sign pharo launcher app for windows
#103 No way to rename a local template
#107 Unable to add a description for the image using the Launcher UI
#121 You can't see/sort images by last modified date
Improvements:
#69 Import command should also import pharo-local directory
#70 Import command should delete origin folder if empty
#73 Managers of Download of VMs and images should be in their own packages
#76 Use https instead of http to requests the pharo file server
#82 Official Distributions loads 32bit versions on 64bit System (i.e. provide better information on templates architecture)
#86 Sort Existing Images Case-Insensitive
#98 Copy and subfolders problem (contents no copied)
#101 Templates from a local image are listed in "downloaded". "local" would be a better name
#102 Template Cleared at Startup setting is enabled, making it weird when trying to use the template feature
#106 Import could work if we select the parent folder of an image
#109 Use latest pre-Spur VM to determine the image version
#122 The Run without settings icon looks like a funny grey/which blob (missing alpha correction)
Bux fixes:
#41 #selectedMorphList was sent to nil
#67 bash is not a command usable under windows
#68 Does not launch images on Windows
#85 Double click on an existing image open a file selector
#88 Pharo Launcher on Windows > Failing
#104 GUI bug makes Launcher unusable
#110 Image launch not reliable on Windows
#119 MessageNotUnderstood exception on launch
#123 The status bar of the Launcher is broken, so can't easily show image descriptions

Big thanks to all contributors: code, issues report, comments, advices.
You can get platform bundles from pharo download page or files.pharo.org: http://files.pharo.org/pharo-launcher/1.2/

Regards,
Christophe.

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher v1.2 release

SergeStinckwich
Thank you Christophe for your work !
I really appreciate it.

I dl the 64 bits VM for macOS. Everytime I run a 32 bits image, I have a warning that using a 32 bits images, require a 32 bits VM.
And then when I select yes, everything works. Why having this warning everytime ?

A+

#21 Bless the DMG
#46 sign pharo launcher app for windows
#103 No way to rename a local template
#107 Unable to add a description for the image using the Launcher UI
#121 You can't see/sort images by last modified date
Improvements:
#69 Import command should also import pharo-local directory
#70 Import command should delete origin folder if empty
#73 Managers of Download of VMs and images should be in their own packages
#76 Use https instead of http to requests the pharo file server
#82 Official Distributions loads 32bit versions on 64bit System (i.e. provide better information on templates architecture)
#86 Sort Existing Images Case-Insensitive
#98 Copy and subfolders problem (contents no copied)
#101 Templates from a local image are listed in "downloaded". "local" would be a better name
#102 Template Cleared at Startup setting is enabled, making it weird when trying to use the template feature
#106 Import could work if we select the parent folder of an image
#109 Use latest pre-Spur VM to determine the image version
#122 The Run without settings icon looks like a funny grey/which blob (missing alpha correction)
Bux fixes:
#41 #selectedMorphList was sent to nil
#67 bash is not a command usable under windows
#68 Does not launch images on Windows
#85 Double click on an existing image open a file selector
#88 Pharo Launcher on Windows > Failing
#104 GUI bug makes Launcher unusable
#110 Image launch not reliable on Windows
#119 MessageNotUnderstood exception on launch
#123 The status bar of the Launcher is broken, so can't easily show image descriptions

--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo Launcher v1.2 release

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 19 Jun 2018, at 16:01, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Great work!

Indeed. Thank you.

Le 19 juin 2018 à 16:28, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Thank you Christophe for your work !
I really appreciate it.

I dl the 64 bits VM for macOS. Everytime I run a 32 bits image, I have a warning that using a 32 bits images, require a 32 bits VM.
And then when I select yes, everything works. Why having this warning everytime ?

I added this warning so that people are aware that they use 32-bit images on a 64-bit system. We are moving to mostly 64-bit images.
The biggest concern for this warning was raised by a Linux user: he installed a 64-bit Pharo Launcher and was surprised to not be able to launch 32-bit images. Indeed, on linux, you need additional set up (i.e. install 32-bit libraries) to be able to launch 32-bit images.

I understand thi warning could be annoying. Maybe I should add a setting to ignore these warnings? Would it be enough? Or should I only warn on Linux where it is really important? But in this case, people could may not be aware of using 32 or 64 bits images.

Could you open an issue for that?

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 9:04 AM Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

​Yes maybe only have the warnings on Linux made more sense. ​

Could you open an issue for that?

--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher v1.2 release

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
> I just released PharoLauncher 1.2

Thanks!

Warning to users: This new release is based on 64-bit Pharo. This caused a
bit of unexpected havoc for me as my projects are not all tested on 64-bit.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher v1.2 release

Tim Mackinnon
A simple way is to have a tick box - don’t show me again?

Sent from my iPhone

Yes, I will do that.

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher v1.2 release

demarey

> Le 20 juin 2018 à 16:08, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> demarey wrote
>> I just released PharoLauncher 1.2
>
> Thanks!
>
> Warning to users: This new release is based on 64-bit Pharo. This caused a
> bit of unexpected havoc for me as my projects are not all tested on 64-bit.

Indeed, default download is a 64-bit image (os X and linux) but there is a 32-bit version available: http://files.pharo.org/pharo-launcher/1.2/PharoLauncher-1.2-x86.dmg or http://files.pharo.org/pharo-launcher/1.2/PharoLauncher-linux-1.2-x86.zip

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher v1.2 release

Peter Uhnak
Thanks for the release!

Just a note regarding the Windows installer. I managed to crash and corrupt my Pharo Launcher (probably unrelated to PL.. I normally modify PharoLauncher to fit me better), so I wanted to reinstall it. As far as I can tell, the options "Modify" and "Repair" installation didn't do anything.
I had to uninstall and install it again, but the uninstall option was incomplete, it left some content of the PharoLauncher folder in place (namely pharo-local, crash.dmp, stderr, stdout, and I think some more). So I guess an uninstall should also clean up?

Thanks!

Peter

I just published Pharo Launcher v1.3 with this enhancement.

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher v1.2 release

demarey

> Le 21 juin 2018 à 14:57, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Thanks for the release!
>
> Just a note regarding the Windows installer. I managed to crash and corrupt my Pharo Launcher (probably unrelated to PL.. I normally modify PharoLauncher to fit me better), so I wanted to reinstall it. As far as I can tell, the options "Modify" and "Repair" installation didn't do anything.
> I had to uninstall and install it again, but the uninstall option was incomplete, it left some content of the PharoLauncher folder in place (namely pharo-local, crash.dmp, stderr, stdout, and I think some more). So I guess an uninstall should also clean up?

Yes, Peter, you’re right!
The issue is reported here: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/115

The reason is that the uninstaller only uninstalls files it created. PharoLauncher should not create any file into its installation folder.
I think we could do that when we switch to Pharo 7.0 for Pharo Launcher. Vincent did some work in this direction.

Cheers,
Christophe

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher v1.2 release

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
> Launcher is not anymore identified as ‘Pharo’ application and comes with
> its own icon.

Awesome!! This small change has already had a big impact on my psychology :)
I often have many images open, but frequently refer back to my (stay-open)
launcher image, which is now nicely discoverable at a glance.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher v1.2 release

Julien Delplanque-2
Thank you Christophe!

Julien

---
Julien Delplanque
Doctorant à l’Université de Lille
Bâtiment B 40, Avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq
Numéro de téléphone: +333 59 35 86 40

#21 Bless the DMG
#46 sign pharo launcher app for windows
#103 No way to rename a local template
#107 Unable to add a description for the image using the Launcher UI
#121 You can't see/sort images by last modified date
Improvements:
#69 Import command should also import pharo-local directory
#70 Import command should delete origin folder if empty
#73 Managers of Download of VMs and images should be in their own packages
#76 Use https instead of http to requests the pharo file server
#82 Official Distributions loads 32bit versions on 64bit System (i.e. provide better information on templates architecture)
#86 Sort Existing Images Case-Insensitive
#98 Copy and subfolders problem (contents no copied)
#101 Templates from a local image are listed in "downloaded". "local" would be a better name
#102 Template Cleared at Startup setting is enabled, making it weird when trying to use the template feature
#106 Import could work if we select the parent folder of an image
#109 Use latest pre-Spur VM to determine the image version
#122 The Run without settings icon looks like a funny grey/which blob (missing alpha correction)
Bux fixes:
#41 #selectedMorphList was sent to nil
#67 bash is not a command usable under windows
#68 Does not launch images on Windows
#85 Double click on an existing image open a file selector
#88 Pharo Launcher on Windows > Failing
#104 GUI bug makes Launcher unusable
#110 Image launch not reliable on Windows
#119 MessageNotUnderstood exception on launch
#123 The status bar of the Launcher is broken, so can't easily show image descriptions

Christophe.

Re: [ANN] Pharo Launcher v1.2 release

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
SergeStinckwich wrote
> ​Yes maybe only have the warnings on Linux made more sense. ​

That seems like a much less intrusive path…

PharoLauncher-Core-SeanDeNigris.200 - Only Warn RE 32-bit on Linux 64
Re-opened and updated issue

-----
Cheers,
Sean