[ANN] Pharo TechTalk 21 Nov: Discord Demo

[ANN] Pharo TechTalk 21 Nov: Discord Demo

Marcus Denker-4
Pharo TechTalk: Discord Demo
When?  21 Nov 2017 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM (UTC+01:00)

Topic: "Discord communication Demo”, how to script discord from Pharo.

        https://association.pharo.org/event-2642665

Re: [ANN] Pharo TechTalk 21 Nov: Discord Demo

Marcus Denker-4
The link to the live stream is this:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kXsOiP6wA

It start in a bit less than 3 hours.

Marcus

On 18 Nov 2017, at 09:13, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

Pharo TechTalk: Discord Demo
When?  21 Nov 2017 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM (UTC+01:00)

Topic: "Discord communication Demo”, how to script discord from Pharo.

https://association.pharo.org/event-2642665

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo TechTalk 21 Nov: Discord Demo

Juraj Kubelka
Hi!

The TechTalk starts in about 10 minutes. Join us on Discord, the techtalk channel.

Cheers,
Juraj

On Nov 21, 2017, at 10:11, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

The link to the live stream is this:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kXsOiP6wA

It start in a bit less than 3 hours.

Marcus

On 18 Nov 2017, at 09:13, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

Pharo TechTalk: Discord Demo
When?  21 Nov 2017 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM (UTC+01:00)

Topic: "Discord communication Demo”, how to script discord from Pharo.

https://association.pharo.org/event-2642665

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo TechTalk 21 Nov: Discord Demo

Juraj Kubelka
Hi,

the TechTalk record is available at the same link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kXsOiP6wA
and includes outline to simplify navigation.

Cheers,
Juraj

TechTalk Outline:
- 01:58 The beginning of the talk
- 04:30 Webhook
  - 04:33 How to Create Webhook
  - 05:39 Webhook Examples
  - 10:33 Webhook Use Case: Script of the Day from Nautilus Code Browser
  - 18:39 Webhook Use Case: Server Problem Notification
- 22:45 Bot App (chatbot)
  - 24:47 How to Create a Bot App
  - 28:28 Bot App Examples
  - 33:17 Bot Use Case: Source Code Expertise
- 41:40 Standard User Client
  - 42:57 User Client Example
  - 45:06 User Client Use Case: Asking Directly from Pharo Playground
  - 47:06 User Client Use Case: Receiving Questions and Answering in Pharo
  - 50:50 Final Thoughts About Discord Integration in Inspector and Debugger
- 52:44 Discussion

On Nov 21, 2017, at 12:54, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

The TechTalk starts in about 10 minutes. Join us on Discord, the techtalk channel.

Cheers,
Juraj

On Nov 21, 2017, at 10:11, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

The link to the live stream is this:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kXsOiP6wA

It start in a bit less than 3 hours.

Marcus

On 18 Nov 2017, at 09:13, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

Pharo TechTalk: Discord Demo
When?  21 Nov 2017 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM (UTC+01:00)

Topic: "Discord communication Demo”, how to script discord from Pharo.

https://association.pharo.org/event-2642665

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo TechTalk 21 Nov: Discord Demo

kilon.alios
Well done :)

Now you can make a discord client inside the Pharo image if you want.
On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 at 21:03, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Juraj Kubelka wrote
> the TechTalk record is available at the same link:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kXsOiP6wA

Thanks! The quality seems to top out at 480p, which is pretty blurry. It
makes the code nearly unreadable. Any way to bump the resolution on the next
one?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo TechTalk 21 Nov: Discord Demo

Marcus Denker-4

I added links to the TechTalk archive:

http://pharo.org/TechTalk

On 21 Nov 2017, at 20:02, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

the TechTalk record is available at the same link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kXsOiP6wA
and includes outline to simplify navigation.

Cheers,
Juraj

TechTalk Outline:
- 01:58 The beginning of the talk
- 04:30 Webhook
  - 04:33 How to Create Webhook
  - 05:39 Webhook Examples
  - 10:33 Webhook Use Case: Script of the Day from Nautilus Code Browser
  - 18:39 Webhook Use Case: Server Problem Notification
- 22:45 Bot App (chatbot)
  - 24:47 How to Create a Bot App
  - 28:28 Bot App Examples
  - 33:17 Bot Use Case: Source Code Expertise
- 41:40 Standard User Client
  - 42:57 User Client Example
  - 45:06 User Client Use Case: Asking Directly from Pharo Playground
  - 47:06 User Client Use Case: Receiving Questions and Answering in Pharo
  - 50:50 Final Thoughts About Discord Integration in Inspector and Debugger
- 52:44 Discussion

On Nov 21, 2017, at 12:54, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

The TechTalk starts in about 10 minutes. Join us on Discord, the techtalk channel.

Cheers,
Juraj

On Nov 21, 2017, at 10:11, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

The link to the live stream is this:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kXsOiP6wA

It start in a bit less than 3 hours.

Marcus

On 18 Nov 2017, at 09:13, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

Pharo TechTalk: Discord Demo
When?  21 Nov 2017 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM (UTC+01:00)

Topic: "Discord communication Demo”, how to script discord from Pharo.

https://association.pharo.org/event-2642665

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo TechTalk 21 Nov: Discord Demo

Juraj Kubelka

> On Nov 21, 2017, at 21:57, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Juraj Kubelka wrote
>> the TechTalk record is available at the same link:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kXsOiP6wA
>
> Thanks! The quality seems to top out at 480p, which is pretty blurry. It
> makes the code nearly unreadable. Any way to bump the resolution on the next
> one?

I do not know how to improve the streaming itself. Maybe the internet speed was not perfect that day in Chile.
I will upload recording I have on my computer. It is clear.

Cheers,
Juraj

On Nov 21, 2017, at 19:54, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well done :)

Now you can make a discord client inside the Pharo image if you want.

Exactly :-) I am looking for integrations that improve the developer experience. Maybe the interface should be different from the standard client. The question is how to integrate and why? What do you think?

Cheers,
Juraj

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 at 21:03, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

the TechTalk record is available at the same link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kXsOiP6wA
and includes outline to simplify navigation.

Cheers,
Juraj

TechTalk Outline:
- 01:58 The beginning of the talk
- 04:30 Webhook
  - 04:33 How to Create Webhook
  - 05:39 Webhook Examples
  - 10:33 Webhook Use Case: Script of the Day from Nautilus Code Browser
  - 18:39 Webhook Use Case: Server Problem Notification
- 22:45 Bot App (chatbot)
  - 24:47 How to Create a Bot App
  - 28:28 Bot App Examples
  - 33:17 Bot Use Case: Source Code Expertise
- 41:40 Standard User Client
  - 42:57 User Client Example
  - 45:06 User Client Use Case: Asking Directly from Pharo Playground
  - 47:06 User Client Use Case: Receiving Questions and Answering in Pharo
  - 50:50 Final Thoughts About Discord Integration in Inspector and Debugger
- 52:44 Discussion

On Nov 21, 2017, at 12:54, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

The TechTalk starts in about 10 minutes. Join us on Discord, the techtalk channel.

Cheers,
Juraj

On Nov 21, 2017, at 10:11, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

The link to the live stream is this:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kXsOiP6wA

It start in a bit less than 3 hours.

Marcus

On 18 Nov 2017, at 09:13, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

Pharo TechTalk: Discord Demo
When?  21 Nov 2017 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM (UTC+01:00)

Topic: "Discord communication Demo”, how to script discord from Pharo.

https://association.pharo.org/event-2642665

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo TechTalk 21 Nov: Discord Demo

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Juraj Kubelka wrote
> I will upload recording I have on my computer. It is clear.

Thanks!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo TechTalk 21 Nov: Discord Demo

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks Juraj!
I want to watch it.

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 6:03 PM Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 21, 2017, at 19:54, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well done :)

Now you can make a discord client inside the Pharo image if you want.

Exactly :-) I am looking for integrations that improve the developer experience. Maybe the interface should be different from the standard client. The question is how to integrate and why? What do you think?

Cheers,
Juraj

Well its a highly personally question

For me it was easy to, well realtive easy, because my Atlas pharo library allows me to use any python library fron inside Pharo , so techically I could use the existing Python API to make a Discord client inside Pharo , without a need to create a wrapper (live tranlation and executing of code).

I was already familiar with the Discord API because I made a bot for the Discord server (I am the one that created the Discord server for Pharo. I did not intend to move the community from Slack to Discord , but Esteban liked its so much that pused it forward as an idea and it did happen). The API its quite simple so making a client inside Pharo should not be hard.

But never felt the need to have a Discord client inside Pharo. On the other hand I never expected our Discord community to grow so large and so active, so fast. Unfortunately I decided to take on creating a Python project so I did not have much usage for Pharo (Python is embeded so it makes Pharo usage quite tricky for me) lately but I am still available for advice, recommendations and so forth.

If you start making a Discord client inside the image, make sure you join the Discord API server, they are extremely helpful and they even have a channel for testing bots. A Discord bot uses the same API as a potential client.

Now on the how...

What I would have done would have been to add the client as tab to the welcome dialog we have when ones first open the image and also as an option to GTSpotter , it would be in the form of "Ask Pharo a Question" and it would send the question directly to our help channel so that beginners could get real time help with any problem they had even those unaware of the existance of Discord. Obviously the option would also exist to expand it to a full Discord interface but my idea was mostly to keep it simple and minimal. One channel, one line, one inpute, and one short list of messages scrolling back and forward.

Thats one way, there are obviously billions of other ways to do this.

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo TechTalk 21 Nov: Discord Demo

Juraj Kubelka
Hi, the new version is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1EzOnfHUe0

Hopefully it helps :-)
Juraj

On Nov 22, 2017, at 15:45, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Juraj Kubelka wrote
I will upload recording I have on my computer. It is clear.

Thanks!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Pharo TechTalk 21 Nov: Discord Demo

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks!

Doru

> On Nov 23, 2017, at 8:26 PM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, the new version is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1EzOnfHUe0
>
> Hopefully it helps :-)
> Juraj
>
>> On Nov 22, 2017, at 15:45, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Juraj Kubelka wrote
>>> I will upload recording I have on my computer. It is clear.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> -----
>> Cheers,
>> Sean