[ANN] Pharo and ST books page (as another Seaside demo on PharoCloud)

[ANN] Pharo and ST books page (as another Seaside demo on PharoCloud)

Torsten Bergmann
There are some free Smalltalk books collected by Stef in the past.

   http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html

Yet this page is often unknown to people.

I therefore converted them to a more Seaside like demo using the Bootstrap project at:

  http://pharo.pharocloud.com/pharobooks

as part of the Pharo/Seaside/Bootstrap demos at http://pharo.pharocloud.com
Code for this is on http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/PharoCloud.

I would suggest that we create a shortlink "books.pharo.org" for
http://pharo.pharocloud.com/pharobooks to it - any takers? This way we can
tell people:

   "Ahh you want to get Pharo, just use get.pharo.org"
   "Ahh you want to download Pharo, just use files.pharo.org"
   "Ahh you want to enhance Pharo, just use bugs.pharo.org"
   "Ahh you want to control Pharo, just use ci.pharo.org"

and now

   "Ahh you want to learn Pharo, just use books.pharo.org"

to be continued ...

Kudos to Stef for the collection and to Mike for being able to host
a demo on pharocloud.

Have fun
T.

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo and ST books page (as another Seaside demo on PharoCloud)

SergeStinckwich
Great stuff !!

Maybe you could use a more packed presentation like this one :
http://pythonbooks.revolunet.com/

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Seaside] [ANN] Pharo and ST books page (as another Seaside demo on PharoCloud)

pharo4Stef@free.fr
This is a nice idea but you should pay attention that I would prefer to have a forward (books.pharo.org) to my pages because I signed agreement to some publisher saying that the pdf will only be on this page.
And each time I will change it will not be visible.
Stef

On 19 Mar 2014, at 13:53, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are some free Smalltalk books collected by Stef in the past.
>
>  http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html
>
> Yet this page is often unknown to people.
>

> I therefore converted them to a more Seaside like demo using the Bootstrap project at:
>
> http://pharo.pharocloud.com/pharobooks
>
> as part of the Pharo/Seaside/Bootstrap demos at http://pharo.pharocloud.com
> Code for this is on http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/PharoCloud.
>

> I would suggest that we create a shortlink "books.pharo.org" for
> http://pharo.pharocloud.com/pharobooks to it - any takers? This way we can
> tell people:
>
>  "Ahh you want to get Pharo, just use get.pharo.org"
>  "Ahh you want to download Pharo, just use files.pharo.org"
>  "Ahh you want to enhance Pharo, just use bugs.pharo.org"
>  "Ahh you want to control Pharo, just use ci.pharo.org"
>
> and now
>
>  "Ahh you want to learn Pharo, just use books.pharo.org"
>
> to be continued ...
>
> Kudos to Stef for the collection and to Mike for being able to host
> a demo on pharocloud.
>
> Have fun
> T.

Re: [Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo and ST books page (as another Seaside demo on PharoCloud)

pharo4Stef@free.fr
I would love to have more books on Pharo. It is simple start to write some chapters.

> Maybe you could use a more packed presentation like this one :
> http://pythonbooks.revolunet.com/
>
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There are some free Smalltalk books collected by Stef in the past.
>>
>>  http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html
>>
>> Yet this page is often unknown to people.
>>

>> I therefore converted them to a more Seaside like demo using the Bootstrap project at:
>>
>> http://pharo.pharocloud.com/pharobooks
>>
>> as part of the Pharo/Seaside/Bootstrap demos at http://pharo.pharocloud.com
>> Code for this is on http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/PharoCloud.
>>

>> I would suggest that we create a shortlink "books.pharo.org" for
>> http://pharo.pharocloud.com/pharobooks to it - any takers? This way we can
>> tell people:
>>
>>  "Ahh you want to get Pharo, just use get.pharo.org"
>>  "Ahh you want to download Pharo, just use files.pharo.org"
>>  "Ahh you want to enhance Pharo, just use bugs.pharo.org"
>>  "Ahh you want to control Pharo, just use ci.pharo.org"
>>
>> and now
>>
>>  "Ahh you want to learn Pharo, just use books.pharo.org"
>>
>> to be continued ...
>>
>> Kudos to Stef for the collection and to Mike for being able to host
>> a demo on pharocloud.
>>
>> Have fun
>> T.
>>

> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Seaside] [ANN] Pharo and ST books page (as another Seaside demo on PharoCloud)

Torsten Bergmann
Stef wrote:
> This is a nice idea but you should pay attention that I would prefer to have a forward
> (books.pharo.org) to my pages because I signed agreement to some publisher saying
> that the pdf will only be on this page.

Hi Stef,

as you can imagine it is not my goal to bring you in legal trouble. I dont know the agreements
in detail but I see no violations as the PDFs are only linked and still reside/stay on your site.

So the page are just links to the original books just with a different presentation form
more specialed to focus on Pharo. The page also includes updated links where to buy these
books in case someone needs printed paper.

As it is more focused on Pharo (than just ST) I additionally intend to link to tutorials
as well in the near future. They are hard to find for newbees that do now follow closely
the announcements on the mailinglist.

To honor your collection and its original creator (= you) even more I now additionally added an
info at the top including a link to your original page.

Regarding update: I added you to the source project on STHub. I guess the book collection
is not updated very often as new ST books are (unfortunately) not written daily.

Hope this is OK for now. In any other case tell me.

Independent from that I think in the future we should provide a "Pharo Store" with apps,
images, frameworks (configs), books, videos and tutorials. Would be a fun project to write
in Seaside with a better local config browser to access all these  but "Shhh...." I can
not tell you more in advance - there may be already something in the pipe ;)

Thx
T.