[ANN] Pharo wiki , is here

Torsten Bergmann
>> Many seemed to like the idea of a Pharo wiki , I like it too. I created
>> one, can be found here and super easy to contribute to.
>>
>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoWiki

I still prefer to have one based on Smalltalk and as there never was an official one
maintain my own private hosted Pharo wiki since 2015

   http://wiki.astares.com/pharo

including lots of useful informations.

It us a Swiki server ("Winterlong" release) - so it is based on Squeak + Comanche.
http://wiki.squeak.org/swiki/

I once offered it to the community but there were doubts as Swiki is not more
maintained and a Pharo solutions would be preferable.

Unfortunately there never was a Pharo based wiki implementation although we have all the bits
and pieces (Pillar, Teapot/Tealight, Zinc, ...) to write one.

I have several swikis running over the years and all of them run very very stable and
without any problems. Even in case of trouble they are easy to repair and extend as the
content is written into XML files.

Also it has an UNZIP and go concept - so it is easy to install/run and maintain or move
to a different server. Squeak community is running their swiki for years already.
The only problem there is that it is not well maintained and lost of pages are outdated
- but this is a problem independent from the wiki technology used.

So creating a wiki is quick and easy - be able to maintain up to date infos another issue.

Thanks
T.

Re: [ANN] Pharo wiki , is here

kilon.alios
Completely up to you , personal I love having many options.

This is my wiki thus will be maintained by me.

Basically it occurred to me that because I already spent time reading mailing list posts , then why not copy paste this extremely valuable posts to a wiki with some structure that is much easier to navigate for newcomers compared to archives of mailing lists.

I have no intention of maintaining the content to keep it up to date because I agree that Pharo books should remain as the single source of polished official documentation.

The wiki is there to act as a clipboard for content that may or may not enter into one of the books.

My No1 goal is a zero maintenance , zero cost , zero learning curve wiki ( assuming you are already a github user). Because also is part of our github group for the books all contributors have already immediate access to it. So I think for my goals this solution is by far the best.

I have no intention of creating a swiki for Pharo because as you so correctly said , software won't be much of a problem, keeping the content up to date will be.

Keeping up to date Content is something I deal with only Updated Pharo By Example. It's Definetly far harder than copy pasting stuff.
On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 at 12:44, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Many seemed to like the idea of a Pharo wiki , I like it too. I created
>> one, can be found here and super easy to contribute to.
>>
>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoWiki

I still prefer to have one based on Smalltalk and as there never was an official one
maintain my own private hosted Pharo wiki since 2015

   http://wiki.astares.com/pharo

including lots of useful informations.

It us a Swiki server ("Winterlong" release) - so it is based on Squeak + Comanche.
http://wiki.squeak.org/swiki/

I once offered it to the community but there were doubts as Swiki is not more
maintained and a Pharo solutions would be preferable.

Unfortunately there never was a Pharo based wiki implementation although we have all the bits
and pieces (Pillar, Teapot/Tealight, Zinc, ...) to write one.

I have several swikis running over the years and all of them run very very stable and
without any problems. Even in case of trouble they are easy to repair and extend as the
content is written into XML files.

Also it has an UNZIP and go concept - so it is easy to install/run and maintain or move
to a different server. Squeak community is running their swiki for years already.
The only problem there is that it is not well maintained and lost of pages are outdated
- but this is a problem independent from the wiki technology used.

So creating a wiki is quick and easy - be able to maintain up to date infos another issue.

Thanks
T.

Re: [ANN] Pharo wiki , is here

Esteban A. Maringolo
In my previous company we ran Swiki served wikis for most of our
customers during years of uninterrupted uptime, it has proven to be
really stable, and a single image could handle lots of simultaneous
users.

We ended up moving to Atlassian Confluence because of a better
granularity of user permissions and some "enterprisey" features, but
we all missed the simplicity of Swiki. To migrate the content from
Swiki to Confluence what we did was to implement a crawler/spider that
navigated the wiki contents and recreated the pages in the new server
(with some replacements because of different syntax).

So if Torsten's wiki has lots of contents (I wasn't aware of it), and
most people want to move to a new wiki server, we should consider
recovering Swiki's content.  It's a fun project as well (if you have
the time).

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

>>> Many seemed to like the idea of a Pharo wiki , I like it too. I created
>>> one, can be found here and super easy to contribute to.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoWiki
>
> I still prefer to have one based on Smalltalk and as there never was an official one
> maintain my own private hosted Pharo wiki since 2015
>
>    http://wiki.astares.com/pharo
>
> including lots of useful informations.
>
> It us a Swiki server ("Winterlong" release) - so it is based on Squeak + Comanche.
> http://wiki.squeak.org/swiki/
>
> I once offered it to the community but there were doubts as Swiki is not more
> maintained and a Pharo solutions would be preferable.
>
> Unfortunately there never was a Pharo based wiki implementation although we have all the bits
> and pieces (Pillar, Teapot/Tealight, Zinc, ...) to write one.
>
> I have several swikis running over the years and all of them run very very stable and
> without any problems. Even in case of trouble they are easy to repair and extend as the
> content is written into XML files.
>
> Also it has an UNZIP and go concept - so it is easy to install/run and maintain or move
> to a different server. Squeak community is running their swiki for years already.
> The only problem there is that it is not well maintained and lost of pages are outdated
> - but this is a problem independent from the wiki technology used.
>
> So creating a wiki is quick and easy - be able to maintain up to date infos another issue.
>
> Thanks
> T.

Re: [ANN] Pharo wiki , is here

kilon.alios
Yes Torsten wiki is in a very good state and very well made :)

Will definitely link to it and use it as source

As I said , I like to keep this as simple as possible, we are already hosted on github for documentation. A wiki there will be easier to find and easier to use and easier to maintain.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 4:20 PM Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
In my previous company we ran Swiki served wikis for most of our
customers during years of uninterrupted uptime, it has proven to be
really stable, and a single image could handle lots of simultaneous
users.

We ended up moving to Atlassian Confluence because of a better
granularity of user permissions and some "enterprisey" features, but
we all missed the simplicity of Swiki. To migrate the content from
Swiki to Confluence what we did was to implement a crawler/spider that
navigated the wiki contents and recreated the pages in the new server
(with some replacements because of different syntax).

So if Torsten's wiki has lots of contents (I wasn't aware of it), and
most people want to move to a new wiki server, we should consider
recovering Swiki's content.  It's a fun project as well (if you have
the time).

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

>>> Many seemed to like the idea of a Pharo wiki , I like it too. I created
>>> one, can be found here and super easy to contribute to.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoWiki
>
> I still prefer to have one based on Smalltalk and as there never was an official one
> maintain my own private hosted Pharo wiki since 2015
>
>    http://wiki.astares.com/pharo
>
> including lots of useful informations.
>
> It us a Swiki server ("Winterlong" release) - so it is based on Squeak + Comanche.
> http://wiki.squeak.org/swiki/
>
> I once offered it to the community but there were doubts as Swiki is not more
> maintained and a Pharo solutions would be preferable.
>
> Unfortunately there never was a Pharo based wiki implementation although we have all the bits
> and pieces (Pillar, Teapot/Tealight, Zinc, ...) to write one.
>
> I have several swikis running over the years and all of them run very very stable and
> without any problems. Even in case of trouble they are easy to repair and extend as the
> content is written into XML files.
>
> Also it has an UNZIP and go concept - so it is easy to install/run and maintain or move
> to a different server. Squeak community is running their swiki for years already.
> The only problem there is that it is not well maintained and lost of pages are outdated
> - but this is a problem independent from the wiki technology used.
>
> So creating a wiki is quick and easy - be able to maintain up to date infos another issue.
>
> Thanks
> T.

Re: [ANN] Pharo wiki , is here

kilon.alios
Also if someone else wants to come and port the content to asteres wiki, its just markdown with a tons of parsers for it around I am sure it will be trivial for one that understands how swiki works. Plus markdown is very simple syntax anyway. I care more about the content, if ones wants to wrap it around a much better pharo software I certainly would not complain.

For example maybe we can have a wiki tool from inside Pharo image that gives easy access to my wiki , we have the tools to deal with github repos already and parsing markdown is rather trivia.

My goal is to take all this unknown documentation like astares wiki, all these hidden gems and expose them to the users because I think the mailing list and the web is very easy to hide things or difficult to find them. This way we can have a main hub that keeps all this content easily accessible inside a nicely structured table of contents with simple links and nothing gets lost. In a format that is very easy to contribute, modify and improve and port to whatever software we want ;)