[ANN] PharoCasts with Experts: Debug the Cog VM with Mariano Martinez Peck

[ANN] PharoCasts with Experts: Debug the Cog VM with Mariano Martinez Peck

laurent laffont
Hi,

First video of PharoCasts with Experts serie.

Mariano explains in a 1h30 HD video:
- what the VM is made of
- what are the different VM built by the Pharo project continuous
integration server
- how to get the platform sources from Gitorious
- how to generate the interpreter sources using ConfigurationOfCogVM
- build the VM
- run and debug it with gdb and XCode
- what Slang is and how to change it for debugging purposes

Enjoy it here: http://www.pharocasts.com/2011/04/debug-cog-vm.html

--

Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs

Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st

Re: [ANN] PharoCasts with Experts: Debug the Cog VM with Mariano Martinez Peck

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks a lot laurent this is a great initiative.

> First video of PharoCasts with Experts serie.
>
> Mariano explains in a 1h30 HD video:
> - what the VM is made of
> - what are the different VM built by the Pharo project continuous
> integration server
> - how to get the platform sources from Gitorious
> - how to generate the interpreter sources using ConfigurationOfCogVM
> - build the VM
> - run and debug it with gdb and XCode
> - what Slang is and how to change it for debugging purposes
>

> Enjoy it here: http://www.pharocasts.com/2011/04/debug-cog-vm.html
>
> --
>
> Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs
>
> Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
> Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
> Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st

Re: [Vm-dev] [ANN] PharoCasts with Experts: Debug the Cog VM with Mariano Martinez Peck

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys. I think there is a mistake..."expert"??? No....I am FAR from being an expert. I am  just a newbie like you but that I try to share the minimum I learn.
BTW, the video has a couple of mistakes I did that I want to share just in case:

1) I downloaded git in an ugly directory (inside the build of another git repository) and then I don't know why there was an error and I couldn't download git sources again. So, I needed to stay with the ugly and confusing directory.

2) When I debugged with XCode you could see there were a lot of '??' in the debugger. This was wrong and it was because of a compiler flag in the Mac builds. This was fixed a couple of days ago, what we were still using an old version

3) when we put a flag in the method lookup for the #dnu it didn't work because (I think) of the black magic that happens when executing things from the workspace. If I would have evaluated the same code but from a method, it should have worked

BTW, How can I have such an ugly voice? heheh

Cheers

Mariano

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 8:55 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

First video of PharoCasts with Experts serie.

Mariano explainsuys.  in a 1h30 HD video:
- what the VM is made of
- what are the different VM built by the Pharo project continuous
integration server
- how to get the platform sources from Gitorious
- how to generate the interpreter sources using ConfigurationOfCogVM
- build the VM
- run and debug it with gdb and XCode
- what Slang is and how to change it for debugging purposes

Enjoy it here: http://www.pharocasts.com/2011/04/debug-cog-vm.html

--

Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs

Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Vm-beginners] Re: [Vm-dev] [ANN] PharoCasts with Experts: Debug the Cog VM with Mariano Martinez Peck

Igor Stasenko
On 17 April 2011 12:36, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys. I think there is a mistake..."expert"??? No....I am FAR from being
> an expert. I am  just a newbie like you but that I try to share the minimum
> I learn.
> BTW, the video has a couple of mistakes I did that I want to share just in
> case:
>
> 1) I downloaded git in an ugly directory (inside the build of another git
> repository) and then I don't know why there was an error and I couldn't
> download git sources again. So, I needed to stay with the ugly and confusing
> directory.
>
> 2) When I debugged with XCode you could see there were a lot of '??' in the
> debugger. This was wrong and it was because of a compiler flag in the Mac
> builds. This was fixed a couple of days ago, what we were still using an old
> version
>
> 3) when we put a flag in the method lookup for the #dnu it didn't work
> because (I think) of the black magic that happens when executing things from
> the workspace. If I would have evaluated the same code but from a method, it
> should have worked
>
> BTW, How can I have such an ugly voice? heheh

You are not alone. Most people usually don't like how they sound.
But you are not TV narrator/reporter to care about that. :)

You did a great job Mariano & Laurent. Thanks!

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Fwd: [Esug-list] job opportunity