[ANN] Phobos for Squeak

Pavel Krivanek
Hi,

I created a port of Phobos (framework for creation of native user
interface using XULRunner) to Squeak too.

http://code.google.com/p/phobos-framework/

It uses WebClient instead of Zinc. To load Phobos evaluate:

(Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/WebClient')
  addPackage: 'WebClient-Core';
  install.

(Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside30')
  addPackage: 'Grease-Core';
  addPackage: 'Grease-Pharo-Core';
  addPackage: 'Seaside-Pharo-Continuation';
  install.

(Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/SCouchDB')
  addPackage: 'JSON';
  install.

(Installer repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PavelKrivanek/Phobos/main')
  addPackage: 'Phobos-Core';
  addPackage: 'Phobos-XUL';
  addPackage: 'Phobos-HTML';
  addPackage: 'Phobos-Demo';
  addPackage: 'Phobos-WebClient';
  install.

To start the server evaluate:

app := PhobosDemo new.
app startOnWebClient.

ATTENTION: You will need to modify start.st script in the bundle.

There is one main ugly difference from Pharo, If an error on Smalltalk
side is raised, no debugger is opened. You will get the information
about an error only on the JavaScript side in JSConsole:

"
Error: The connection to ws://localhost:46528/newSession has
terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred.
Source File: chrome://myapp/content/main.js
Line: 132
"

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: [ANN] Phobos for Squeak

Pavel Krivanek
Notice that (unfinished) OmniBrowser binding works on Squeak too.

To load it you need this code:

(Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository')
    addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser';
    install.

(ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser
    project version: #stable) load: #( 'Dev' 'Dev Tests').

(Installer repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PavelKrivanek/Phobos/main')
  addPackage: 'Phobos-OmniBrowser';
  install.

This is the startup code:

| app |
OBPlatform  current: OBPhobosPlatform new.
app := PhobosLauncher new.
app startOnWebClient.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Pavel Krivanek
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I created a port of Phobos (framework for creation of native user
> interface using XULRunner) to Squeak too.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/phobos-framework/
>
> It uses WebClient instead of Zinc. To load Phobos evaluate:
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/WebClient')
>   addPackage: 'WebClient-Core';
>   install.
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside30')
>   addPackage: 'Grease-Core';
>   addPackage: 'Grease-Pharo-Core';
>   addPackage: 'Seaside-Pharo-Continuation';
>   install.
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/SCouchDB')
>   addPackage: 'JSON';
>   install.
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PavelKrivanek/Phobos/main')
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-Core';
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-XUL';
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-HTML';
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-Demo';
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-WebClient';
>   install.
>
> To start the server evaluate:
>
> app := PhobosDemo new.
> app startOnWebClient.
>
> ATTENTION: You will need to modify start.st script in the bundle.
>
> There is one main ugly difference from Pharo, If an error on Smalltalk
> side is raised, no debugger is opened. You will get the information
> about an error only on the JavaScript side in JSConsole:
>
> "
> Error: The connection to ws://localhost:46528/newSession has
> terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred.
> Source File: chrome://myapp/content/main.js
> Line: 132
> "
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Re: [ANN] Phobos for Squeak

Chris Cunnington
On 12-10-13 4:29 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
[...]

Error: The connection to <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="ws://localhost:46528/newSession">ws://localhost:46528/newSession has
terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred.
Source File: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="chrome://myapp/content/main.js">chrome://myapp/content/main.js
Line: 132
"

Cheers,
-- Pavel

We were just talking about this in the Squeak Community Meeting, as we were discussing the possible limitations of web browsers

Having played with this a bit my first question is where is the client? I loaded Phobos, started it, and went to http://localhost: 46528 in Chrome, which I think is my first mistake right there. Does this work on Firefox and not Chrome, because Firefox uses Xul? Nope.

This uses a <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="ws://localhost">ws://localhost protocol I've never seen before. OK. Where does that go? Is there a Xul browser? Certainly not.

I download XulRunner, but that isn't an application. I'm supposed to create an application like ChatZilla [1] and start it with XulRunner after I've downloaded it, c'est la:

/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/xulrunner-bin /Users/chrisucunnington/Desktop/chatzilla-0.9.89-xr.zip

And I don't see any place to put a <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="ws://">ws:// address. Hmmm...

So I've got some nice pictures of the running Phobos demo presenting in an unknown client. [2] They setup looks kind of like the Xul Periodic Table, which used to be online, but was severed due to security.

So, I think before you can use the Phobos demo you need to build a client to see it and start it with XulRunner. There's something wrong with that statement, but I don't know what it is.

Pavel also created an all JavaScript version called XulJet. [3]

Chris

[1] http://chatzilla.rdmsoft.com/xulrunner/
[2] https://plus.google.com/photos/106846588629768024210/albums/5797347436751628657
[3] http://code.google.com/p/xuljet/

Re: [ANN] Phobos for Squeak

David Goehrig
For a second there I was hopeful it was a port of the old

Sadly, I guess we'll still have to wait :)

-=-=- [hidden email] -=-=-

On Oct 13, 2012, at 4:29 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

blake watson
On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM, David Goehrig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For a second there I was hopeful it was a port of the old
>
> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather_Goddesses_of_Phobos
>
> Sadly, I guess we'll still have to wait :)

I ran into LGOP the other day and thought the same thing. But it was
"little groups of paratroopers".

Re: [ANN] Phobos for Squeak

Pavel Krivanek
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Chris Cunnington
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12-10-13 4:29 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I created a port of Phobos (framework for creation of native user
> interface using XULRunner) to Squeak too.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/phobos-framework/
>
> It uses WebClient instead of Zinc. To load Phobos evaluate:
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/WebClient')
>   addPackage: 'WebClient-Core';
>   install.
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside30')
>   addPackage: 'Grease-Core';
>   addPackage: 'Grease-Pharo-Core';
>   addPackage: 'Seaside-Pharo-Continuation';
>   install.
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/SCouchDB')
>   addPackage: 'JSON';
>   install.
>
> (Installer repository:
> 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PavelKrivanek/Phobos/main')
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-Core';
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-XUL';
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-HTML';
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-Demo';
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-WebClient';
>   install.
>
> To start the server evaluate:
>
> app := PhobosDemo new.
> app startOnWebClient.
>
> ATTENTION: You will need to modify start.st script in the bundle.
>
> There is one main ugly difference from Pharo, If an error on Smalltalk
> side is raised, no debugger is opened. You will get the information
> about an error only on the JavaScript side in JSConsole:
>
> "
> Error: The connection to ws://localhost:46528/newSession has
> terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred.
> Source File: chrome://myapp/content/main.js
> Line: 132
> "
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel
>
> We were just talking about this in the Squeak Community Meeting, as we were
> discussing the possible limitations of web browsers
>
> Having played with this a bit my first question is where is the client?

You need a JavaScript client based on XULRunner. You need to download
a bundle for your platform:
http://code.google.com/p/phobos-framework/downloads/list

This bundles include XULRunner (with exception of Linux bundle), the
JavaScript client application, CogVM and a Pharo image.

Then you have two option. Prepare Squeak image with Phobos, modify
start.st script and replace app.image with the Squeak image (include
sources and changes file into the same directory). With that setting
the XULRunner will show splash screen and will start the CogVM.

If you change a line in defaults/preferences/prefs.js to
pref("toolkit.defaultChromeURI", "chrome://myapp/content/templates/main.xul");
then XULRunner will start only the JavaScript client application that
expects, that the Smaltalk server is already running. This setting is
better for development. Before the XULRunner run firstly the Squeak
image with Phobos and start the server:
app := PhobosDemo new.
app startOnWebClient

> I loaded Phobos, started it, and went to http://localhost: 46528 in Chrome,
> which I think is my first mistake right there. Does this work on Firefox and
> not Chrome, because Firefox uses Xul? Nope.
> This uses a ws://localhost protocol I've never seen before. OK. Where does
> that go? Is there a Xul browser? Certainly not.

The JavaScript client application is something like a statical web
page showed by XULRunner that tries to start the web socket
communication with the server.

> I download XulRunner, but that isn't an application. I'm supposed to create
> an application like ChatZilla [1] and start it with XulRunner after I've
> downloaded it, c'est la:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/xulrunner-bin
> /Users/chrisucunnington/Desktop/chatzilla-0.9.89-xr.zip
>
> And I don't see any place to put a ws:// address. Hmmm...

use a bundle from the Phobos site.

> So I've got some nice pictures of the running Phobos demo presenting in an
> unknown client. [2] They setup looks kind of like the Xul Periodic Table,
> which used to be online, but was severed due to security.

It is based on the XUL Periodic Table. But XULRunner doesn't have
Firefox security limitations

Cheers,
-- Pavel.

On 12-10-14 2:22 AM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> You need a JavaScript client based on XULRunner. You need to download
> a bundle for your platform:
> http://code.google.com/p/phobos-framework/downloads/list
>
> This bundles include XULRunner (with exception of Linux bundle), the
> JavaScript client application, CogVM and a Pharo image.
>
> Then you have two option. Prepare Squeak image with Phobos, modify
> start.st script and replace app.image with the Squeak image (include
> sources and changes file into the same directory). With that setting
> the XULRunner will show splash screen and will start the CogVM.

Oooooh, OK. I get it now. The Squeak part is an alternative to this nice
Xul application you have in
http://code.google.com/p/phobos-framework/downloads/list. Gotcha.

Change:

| app |
app := PhobosDemo new.
app start.

in /Contents/Resources/chrome/start.st to the Squeak image. Check.

OK, I see the full app as in your pictures. Thanks for correcting my
misunderstanding.

Chris

Re: [ANN] Phobos for Squeak

Bob Arning-2
Pavel,

Looks interesting, but lacking enough unix geekdom, I'm a bit stymied by

run XULRunner with -jsconsole argument. It shows the JavaScript console

I tried stuff like this:

robert-arnings-computer:PhobosDemo.app bob$ Contents/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0/xulrunner --app /Contents/Resources/application.ini
Error: couldn't parse application.ini.

and can't seem to find the winning combination. Can you help?

Thanks,
Bob

On 10/13/12 4:29 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
[...]

Hi, I use this scripts:

===========
without.sh
===========
#!/bin/bash

which xulrunner >/dev/null 2>&1 || {
  [ $(uname) == 'Darwin' ] &&
PATH=/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/Current/:${PATH}
}
xulrunner -app $(cd $(dirname $0); pwd)/application.ini $@

===========
withconsole.sh
===========
#!/bin/bash

$(dirname $0)/without.sh -jsconsole

-- Pavel

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pavel,
>
> Looks interesting, but lacking enough unix geekdom, I'm a bit stymied by
>
> run XULRunner with -jsconsole argument. It shows the JavaScript console
>
> I tried stuff like this:
>
> robert-arnings-computer:PhobosDemo.app bob$
> Contents/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0/xulrunner --app
> /Contents/Resources/application.ini
> Error: couldn't parse application.ini.
>
> and can't seem to find the winning combination. Can you help?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>

> On 10/13/12 4:29 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I created a port of Phobos (framework for creation of native user
> interface using XULRunner) to Squeak too.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/phobos-framework/
>
> It uses WebClient instead of Zinc. To load Phobos evaluate:
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/WebClient')
>   addPackage: 'WebClient-Core';
>   install.
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside30')
>   addPackage: 'Grease-Core';
>   addPackage: 'Grease-Pharo-Core';
>   addPackage: 'Seaside-Pharo-Continuation';
>   install.
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/SCouchDB')
>   addPackage: 'JSON';
>   install.
>
> (Installer repository:
> 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PavelKrivanek/Phobos/main')
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-Core';
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-XUL';
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-HTML';
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-Demo';
>   addPackage: 'Phobos-WebClient';
>   install.
>
> To start the server evaluate:
>
> app := PhobosDemo new.
> app startOnWebClient.
>
> ATTENTION: You will need to modify start.st script in the bundle.
>
> There is one main ugly difference from Pharo, If an error on Smalltalk
> side is raised, no debugger is opened. You will get the information
> about an error only on the JavaScript side in JSConsole:
>
> "
> Error: The connection to ws://localhost:46528/newSession has
> terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred.
> Source File: chrome://myapp/content/main.js
> Line: 132
> "
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Re: [ANN] Phobos for Squeak

Bob Arning-2
Thanks! I wasn't able to make the script run, but there was a clue in there to one of my errors and I did manage to coax xulrunner to start. Looks very nice.

Cheers,
Bob

On 10/15/12 1:45 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
Hi, I use this scripts:

===========
without.sh
===========
[...]

If you are interested in glitches, the app.image includes in Phobos.app
has this method in CompiledMethod:

putSource: t1 fromParseNode: t2 inFile: t3 withPreamble: t4
     | t5 t6 |
     (SourceFiles
             ifNil: [true]
             ifNotNil: [(t5 := SourceFiles at: t3) == nil])
         ifTrue: [^ self
                 becomeForward: (self copyWithTempsFromMethodNode: t2)].
     Smalltalk assureStartupStampLogged.
     t5 setToEnd.
     t4 value: t5.
     t6 := RemoteString
                 newString: t1
                 onFileNumber: t3
                 toFile: t5.
     t5 nextChunkPut: ' '.
     InMidstOfFileinNotification signal
         ifFalse: [t5 flush].
     self setSourcePosition: t6 position inFile: t3

but there are no implementors of #copyWithTempsFromMethodNode:

> [...]

>> 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PavelKrivanek/Phobos/main')
>>    addPackage: 'Phobos-Core';
>>    addPackage: 'Phobos-XUL';
>>    addPackage: 'Phobos-HTML';
>>    addPackage: 'Phobos-Demo';
>>    addPackage: 'Phobos-WebClient';
>>    install.
>>
>> To start the server evaluate:
>>
>> app := PhobosDemo new.
>> app startOnWebClient.
>>
>> ATTENTION: You will need to modify start.st script in the bundle.
>>
>> There is one main ugly difference from Pharo, If an error on Smalltalk
>> side is raised, no debugger is opened. You will get the information
>> about an error only on the JavaScript side in JSConsole:
>>
>> "
>> Error: The connection to ws://localhost:46528/newSession has
>> terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred.
>> Source File: chrome://myapp/content/main.js

Re: [ANN] Phobos for Squeak

Pavel Krivanek
Hi,

this is a problem of Pharo.