[ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

jannik laval
Hi Pharoers,

I am porting Scratch and BYOB on Pharo 2.0. The name of the project is Phratch.
To begin, I took Scat (a port of Scratch on Pharo1.3) and modify it to make it work on Pharo 2.0. For that I integrated FileSystem.
Then, I took BYOB and port it in the project.

I have some bugs, but the main features are working.
The main issue is that it is slow. I will investigate that too.

The goal for me is to use it for teaching software engineering and robotics.
I hope to use Phratch and Pharo 2.0 to create new features.

The project is on SmalltalkHub, and a google code page is available, mainly for reporting issues: https://code.google.com/p/phratch/

To download Phratch, just run this code:

Gofer it
    url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/JLaval/Phratch/main';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfPhratch';
    load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPhratch) loadBleedingEdge.

Cheers,
Jannik

Re: [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

SergeStinckwich
Hi Jannik,

nice work ! When we start Scat, we have the same idea of using it for
robotics and integrate alternate version of Scratch.

But why fork the Scat effort with another Google project ?

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

SergeStinckwich
BTW, Scat SmalltalkHub repository is here:

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~bromagosa/Scat

Regards,

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jannik,
>
> nice work ! When we start Scat, we have the same idea of using it for
> robotics and integrate alternate version of Scratch.
>
> But why fork the Scat effort with another Google project ?
>
> Regards,
>
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Pharoers,
>>
>> I am porting Scratch and BYOB on Pharo 2.0. The name of the project is Phratch.
>> To begin, I took Scat (a port of Scratch on Pharo1.3) and modify it to make it work on Pharo 2.0. For that I integrated FileSystem.
>> Then, I took BYOB and port it in the project.
>>
>> I have some bugs, but the main features are working.
>> The main issue is that it is slow. I will investigate that too.
>>
>> The goal for me is to use it for teaching software engineering and robotics.
>> I hope to use Phratch and Pharo 2.0 to create new features.
>>
>> The project is on SmalltalkHub, and a google code page is available, mainly for reporting issues: https://code.google.com/p/phratch/
>>
>> To download Phratch, just run this code:
>>
>> Gofer it
>>     url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/JLaval/Phratch/main';
>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfPhratch';
>>     load.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPhratch) loadBleedingEdge.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jannik
>

> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

jannik laval
Hi Serge,

On Mar 24, 2013, at 9:06 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jannik,
>
> nice work ! When we start Scat, we have the same idea of using it for
> robotics and integrate alternate version of Scratch.

Thank you

> But why fork the Scat effort with another Google project ?

We could merge them.
Just I saw that there is no update on the Scat Google code since 2011, so I create one.
Then, about the files to download, there are some changes inside the skin folder to integrate BYOB.

Cheers,
Jannik

> Regards,
>
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Pharoers,
>>
>> I am porting Scratch and BYOB on Pharo 2.0. The name of the project is Phratch.
>> To begin, I took Scat (a port of Scratch on Pharo1.3) and modify it to make it work on Pharo 2.0. For that I integrated FileSystem.
>> Then, I took BYOB and port it in the project.
>>
>> I have some bugs, but the main features are working.
>> The main issue is that it is slow. I will investigate that too.
>>
>> The goal for me is to use it for teaching software engineering and robotics.
>> I hope to use Phratch and Pharo 2.0 to create new features.
>>
>> The project is on SmalltalkHub, and a google code page is available, mainly for reporting issues: https://code.google.com/p/phratch/
>>
>> To download Phratch, just run this code:
>>
>> Gofer it
>>    url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/JLaval/Phratch/main';
>>    package: 'ConfigurationOfPhratch';
>>    load.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPhratch) loadBleedingEdge.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jannik
>

> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

On Mar 24, 2013, at 8:56 PM, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Pharoers,
>
> I am porting Scratch and BYOB on Pharo 2.0. The name of the project is Phratch.
> To begin, I took Scat (a port of Scratch on Pharo1.3) and modify it to make it work on Pharo 2.0. For that I integrated FileSystem.
> Then, I took BYOB and port it in the project.

Excellent!

> I have some bugs, but the main features are working.
> The main issue is that it is slow. I will investigate that too.
>
> The goal for me is to use it for teaching software engineering and robotics.
> I hope to use Phratch and Pharo 2.0 to create new features.
>
> The project is on SmalltalkHub, and a google code page is available, mainly for reporting issues: https://code.google.com/p/phratch/
>
> To download Phratch, just run this code:
>
> Gofer it
>    url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/JLaval/Phratch/main';
>    package: 'ConfigurationOfPhratch';
>    load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPhratch) loadBleedingEdge.

I loaded it using the pharo20 one click.
But it does not work. Apparently got blocked in WeakSet something.

I reloaded. And it seems ok.

How do we open Scratch?

Stef

Esteban it got blocked in this method.

initialize: aString
        "We fill RPackageSet with a collection of matching RPackage.
         Since this is accessed a lot of times, we optimized the code for speed on resolution, and now
        we have what you see.
        This code should be something like this:

        packageName := aString.
        packages := RPackageOrganizer default packages
                select: [ :each | each name = packageName or: [ each name beginsWith: packageName, '-' ] ]

        sadly, that's incredible slow, so, we changed.
        BEWARE: Don't change this code without paying attention to speed.
        "
        | size separatorIndex first |

        self initialize.

        packageName := aString asSymbol.
        size := packageName size.
        first := packageName at: 1.
        separatorIndex := size + 1.
        packages := RPackage organizer packages
                select: [ :each | | eachSize |
                        eachSize := each name size.
                        (size == eachSize and: [ packageName == each name ])
                                or: [
                                        eachSize > size
                                                and: [
                                                        (((each name at: separatorIndex) == $-)
                                                        and: [ (each name at: 1) == first ])
                                                        and: [ (each name beginsWith: packageName) ] ] ] ]

Re: [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

jannik laval
Interesting !
I will see that.

Who is active on this project ?
Should it work on Pharo2.0 ?

I am interesting if we can merge efforts.

Cheers,
Jannik

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:10 PM, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Serge,
>
> On Mar 24, 2013, at 9:06 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jannik,
>>
>> nice work ! When we start Scat, we have the same idea of using it for
>> robotics and integrate alternate version of Scratch.
>
> Thank you
>

>> But why fork the Scat effort with another Google project ?
>
> We could merge them.

Yes I think so.

> Just I saw that there is no update on the Scat Google code since 2011, so I create one.
> Then, about the files to download, there are some changes inside the skin folder to integrate BYOB.

Yes we were not really active recently. Bernat Romagosa was the most
productive guy until now.
Maybe you can join the scat mailing list in order to talk about how to
join our efforts:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/scat-project

There is some japanese people on the mailing-list, that might be
interested by your work on BYOB.
I was also interested by using Scat/Phrash with arduino.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

jannik laval
Hi Stef,

On Mar 24, 2013, at 9:14 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2013, at 8:56 PM, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Pharoers,
>>
>> I am porting Scratch and BYOB on Pharo 2.0. The name of the project is Phratch.
>> To begin, I took Scat (a port of Scratch on Pharo1.3) and modify it to make it work on Pharo 2.0. For that I integrated FileSystem.
>> Then, I took BYOB and port it in the project.
>
> Excellent!
>
>> I have some bugs, but the main features are working.
>> The main issue is that it is slow. I will investigate that too.
>>
>> The goal for me is to use it for teaching software engineering and robotics.
>> I hope to use Phratch and Pharo 2.0 to create new features.
>>
>> The project is on SmalltalkHub, and a google code page is available, mainly for reporting issues: https://code.google.com/p/phratch/
>>
>> To download Phratch, just run this code:
>>
>> Gofer it
>>   url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/JLaval/Phratch/main';
>>   package: 'ConfigurationOfPhratch';
>>   load.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPhratch) loadBleedingEdge.
>
> I loaded it using the pharo20 one click.
> But it does not work. Apparently got blocked in WeakSet something.

Strange, it works for me...

> I reloaded. And it seems ok.
>
> How do we open Scratch?

When the load is finished, a workspace is opened with this line:
ScratchFrameMorph open

Cheers,
Jannik

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting !
> I will see that.
>
> Who is active on this project ?
> Should it work on Pharo2.0 ?

No I don't think so.
Recently someone start to work on a port to Pharo 1.4, but you are the
first to start to work on Pharo 2.0.

> I am interesting if we can merge efforts.

I guess your work will give a new boost ;-)
Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

stephane ducasse
Hi Jannik and Bernat

I was wondering if it is necessary to keep the CCodeGenerator and Primitives-Plugins inside the system.
In addition may be this code is really outdated so may be packaging it in a separate package for archival
would make sense.

I'm surprised that so many classes do not have class comments :).
BTW pay attention that
        - PhratchPreferences has the same disease that the old Preferences class (RIP).

        - SensorBoardMorph open  in the class comment -> DNU

        - (PaintCanvas new brushCursorSize: 21 color: Color yellow) display -> DNU
In fact this code is quite scary…. :)

Jannik what is the different between byob and Scratch.

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

stephane ducasse

> ScratchFrameMorph open

It does not work

 Path / 'Users' / 'ducasse' / 'Workspace' / 'FirstCircle' / 'ActiveResearch' / 'Pharo' / 'PharoHarvestingFixes' / '20' / 'Released' / 'ScratchSkin'

not found.

On Mar 24, 2013, at 9:34 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jannik and Bernat

I was wondering if it is necessary to keep the CCodeGenerator and Primitives-Plugins inside the system.
In addition may be this code is really outdated so may be packaging it in a separate package for archival
would make sense.

I'm surprised that so many classes do not have class comments :).
BTW pay attention that
- PhratchPreferences has the same disease that the old Preferences class (RIP).

Yes, I just did it expecting remove it soon.

- SensorBoardMorph open  in the class comment -> DNU

- (PaintCanvas new brushCursorSize: 21 color: Color yellow) display -> DNU
In fact this code is quite scary…. :)

Thanks for the report

Jannik what is the different between byob and Scratch.

byob allows one to build its own block (http://byob.berkeley.edu/#download)
Go to Variable categorie: there is a "new block" button.

It does not work for now: It works only on my machine, I have to commit the code.

Jannik

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

jannik laval
Strange, the repository should be downloaded at the installation.

Jannik

On Mar 24, 2013, at 9:35 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> ScratchFrameMorph open
>
> It does not work
>
> Path / 'Users' / 'ducasse' / 'Workspace' / 'FirstCircle' / 'ActiveResearch' / 'Pharo' / 'PharoHarvestingFixes' / '20' / 'Released' / 'ScratchSkin'
>
> not found.
>
> Stef

Re: [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

Frank Shearar-3
On 24 March 2013 19:56, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Pharoers,
>
> I am porting Scratch and BYOB on Pharo 2.0. The name of the project is Phratch.
> To begin, I took Scat (a port of Scratch on Pharo1.3) and modify it to make it work on Pharo 2.0. For that I integrated FileSystem.
> Then, I took BYOB and port it in the project.
>
> I have some bugs, but the main features are working.
> The main issue is that it is slow. I will investigate that too.
>
> The goal for me is to use it for teaching software engineering and robotics.
> I hope to use Phratch and Pharo 2.0 to create new features.
>
> The project is on SmalltalkHub, and a google code page is available, mainly for reporting issues: https://code.google.com/p/phratch/
>
> To download Phratch, just run this code:
>
> Gofer it
>     url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/JLaval/Phratch/main';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfPhratch';
>     load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPhratch) loadBleedingEdge.
>
> Cheers,
> Jannik

Cool! Tim Rowledge is hackin on Scratch directly, with the aim of
improving its code, particularly performance wise. You might want to
drop him an email and see if you can make use of his efforts.

frank

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

Bernat Romagosa
Jannik, you should write to the Scat list. Joan and I kind of gave up about two years ago but there has been some new people (Irfan khan, Dave Mason, ...) contributing a bit to the project. These were our last news right before giving up: https://code.google.com/p/scat/wiki/PublicRelease

By the way, the source code was also moved to stHub: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~bromagosa/Scat, I've just added you as a contributor.

Cheers,

Bernat.

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

jannik laval
Hi,

I just merge your last changes with Phratch source-code.
I think you shoud try Phratch and see the bug tracker of Phratch, because I added some.

What I did in Phratch, is that it does not break the Pharo image. There is no other modifications than in the package of Phratch.
I saw that Scat modify Morphic and Graphics to add some instance variables, that I don't have in Phratch.

I saw also your bug-tracker and I resolved some issues: PNG transparency, Camera images, and a part of GIF import.

What is the Scat mailing list ? Like that I can communicate directly with the team.

Cheers,
Jannik

--
Bernat Romagosa.

--

~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai
http://www.jannik-laval.eu

Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Phratch: Scratch on Pharo2.0

Bernat Romagosa
Hi Jannik,

Great! Thanks for taking this project further on, maybe someday we'll finally have a working Scratch on Pharo... :)

The mail list is [hidden email].

Cheers!

Bernat.

--