classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ANN] Physical Etoys 2.0 released!

Ricardo Moran
Hi everybody (and sorry if you receive multiple copies),

I would like to announce a new version of Physical Etoys, now with a lot of new features:
  1. First of all, it's based on Etoys 5.0 so it incorporates all the bug-fixes and new features from the Etoys release.
  2. We are now focusing on the two main hardware platforms: Arduino and Lego Mindstorms Nxt. For the rest, we will publish a set of "external modules" that you can install in your Physical Etoys version.
  3. Also, we now support an argentinian version of Arduino, which is called DuinoBot and it's currently being used in a lot of argentinian schools.
  4. We added new devices for arduino and now we also support the use of digital devices attached to analog pins.
  5. We added two new objects that let you graph the input of a variable across time and save it to a csv file.
  6. We added a new programming mode that lets you compile your scripts and have them running inside the robot, in contrast to running them in the computer and communicate with the robot via bluetooth or usb. We believe this opens a lot of new posibilities for the Physical Etoys users.
  7. And finally, we fixed a lot of bugs that make the software a lot more stable (or so we hope :).
I would like to use this opportunity to publicly thank all the people from the Etoys community for their work on Etoys 5, this latest version is much better than the last and I encourage you all to try it.
And also, I would like to announce that Physical Etoys 2.0 is going to be installed by default on all the laptops of the "Conectar igualdad" program, which is kind of like the argentinian version of OLPC (but for older students). So we are *really* excited about this!

Now that you're all as excited as we are :) you can download and try Physical Etoys 2.0 from our blog: http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/projects/physical-etoys/.

Cheers,
Richo
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Physical Etoys 2.0 released!

garduino
Wow! Felicitaciones queda muy chico para uds!!! Y si que se puede!!

Congrats by your fantastic job!

2012/4/20, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]>:

> Hi everybody (and sorry if you receive multiple copies),
>
> I would like to announce a new version of Physical Etoys, now with a lot of
> new features:
>
>    1. First of all, it's based on Etoys 5.0 so it incorporates all the
>    bug-fixes and new features from the Etoys release.
>    2. We are now focusing on the two main hardware platforms: Arduino and
>    Lego Mindstorms Nxt. For the rest, we will publish a set of "external
>    modules" that you can install in your Physical Etoys version.
>    3. Also, we now support an argentinian version of Arduino, which is
>    called DuinoBot and it's currently being used in a lot of argentinian
>    schools.
>    4. We added new devices for arduino and now we also support the use of
>    digital devices attached to analog pins.
>    5. We added two new objects that let you graph the input of a variable
>    across time and save it to a csv file.
>    6. We added a new programming mode that lets you compile your scripts
>    and have them running inside the robot, in contrast to running them in
> the
>    computer and communicate with the robot via bluetooth or usb. We believe
>    this opens a lot of new posibilities for the Physical Etoys users.
>    7. And finally, we fixed a lot of bugs that make the software a lot more
>    stable (or so we hope :).
>
> I would like to use this opportunity to publicly thank all the people from
> the Etoys community for their work on Etoys 5, this latest version is much
> better than the last and I encourage you all to try it.
> And also, I would like to announce that Physical Etoys 2.0 is going to be
> installed by default on all the laptops of the "Conectar igualdad" program,
> which is kind of like the argentinian version of OLPC (but for older
> students). So we are *really* excited about this!
>
> Now that you're all as excited as we are :) you can download and try
> Physical Etoys 2.0 from our blog:
> http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/projects/physical-etoys/.
>
> Cheers,
> Richo
>

--
Enviado desde mi dispositivo móvil

============================================
Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software  http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
greensecure.blogspot.com germanarduino.blogpost.com
============================================

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Physical Etoys 2.0 released!

garyoak
All the new features are very useful. Its good that you guys have focused on Arduino and Lego Mindstorms Nxt, since this is the most important aspect.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [ANN] Physical Etoys 2.0 released!

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by Ricardo Moran
ricardo

I would love to play with ardino. Do you have a suggestion for a useful configuration in terms of board, motors…?
Because there are a lot of choices and I do not know what to buy.
Stef

On Apr 21, 2012, at 12:00 AM, Ricardo Moran wrote:

>
> I would like to announce a new version of Physical Etoys, now with a lot of new features:
> • First of all, it's based on Etoys 5.0 so it incorporates all the bug-fixes and new features from the Etoys release.
> • We are now focusing on the two main hardware platforms: Arduino and Lego Mindstorms Nxt. For the rest, we will publish a set of "external modules" that you can install in your Physical Etoys version.
> • Also, we now support an argentinian version of Arduino, which is called DuinoBot and it's currently being used in a lot of argentinian schools.
> • We added new devices for arduino and now we also support the use of digital devices attached to analog pins.
> • We added two new objects that let you graph the input of a variable across time and save it to a csv file.
> • We added a new programming mode that lets you compile your scripts and have them running inside the robot, in contrast to running them in the computer and communicate with the robot via bluetooth or usb. We believe this opens a lot of new posibilities for the Physical Etoys users.
> • And finally, we fixed a lot of bugs that make the software a lot more stable (or so we hope :).
> I would like to use this opportunity to publicly thank all the people from the Etoys community for their work on Etoys 5, this latest version is much better than the last and I encourage you all to try it.
> And also, I would like to announce that Physical Etoys 2.0 is going to be installed by default on all the laptops of the "Conectar igualdad" program, which is kind of like the argentinian version of OLPC (but for older students). So we are *really* excited about this!
>
> Now that you're all as excited as we are :) you can download and try Physical Etoys 2.0 from our blog: http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/projects/physical-etoys/.
>
> Cheers,
> Richo

Reply | Threaded
|

philippeback
I have got a (ARDX) kit from www.oomlout.com and it comes with quite a bunch of useful things.

Bought it at FOSDEM a year ago or so.

Philippe

2012/4/21 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
ricardo

I would love to play with ardino. Do you have a suggestion for a useful configuration in terms of board, motors…?
Stef

>
> I would like to announce a new version of Physical Etoys, now with a lot of new features:
>       • First of all, it's based on Etoys 5.0 so it incorporates all the bug-fixes and new features from the Etoys release.
>       • We are now focusing on the two main hardware platforms: Arduino and Lego Mindstorms Nxt. For the rest, we will publish a set of "external modules" that you can install in your Physical Etoys version.
>       • Also, we now support an argentinian version of Arduino, which is called DuinoBot and it's currently being used in a lot of argentinian schools.
>       • We added new devices for arduino and now we also support the use of digital devices attached to analog pins.
>       • We added two new objects that let you graph the input of a variable across time and save it to a csv file.
>       • We added a new programming mode that lets you compile your scripts and have them running inside the robot, in contrast to running them in the computer and communicate with the robot via bluetooth or usb. We believe this opens a lot of new posibilities for the Physical Etoys users.
>       • And finally, we fixed a lot of bugs that make the software a lot more stable (or so we hope :).
> I would like to use this opportunity to publicly thank all the people from the Etoys community for their work on Etoys 5, this latest version is much better than the last and I encourage you all to try it.
> And also, I would like to announce that Physical Etoys 2.0 is going to be installed by default on all the laptops of the "Conectar igualdad" program, which is kind of like the argentinian version of OLPC (but for older students). So we are *really* excited about this!
>
> Now that you're all as excited as we are :) you can download and try Physical Etoys 2.0 from our blog: http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/projects/physical-etoys/.
>
> Cheers,
> Richo

--
Philippe Back
"Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"

Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
In reply to this post by Ricardo Moran
Ricardo Moran wrote:

>
> I would like to announce a new version of Physical Etoys, now with a lot of
> new features:
>
>    1. First of all, it's based on Etoys 5.0 so it incorporates all the
>    bug-fixes and new features from the Etoys release.
>    2. We are now focusing on the two main hardware platforms: Arduino and
>    Lego Mindstorms Nxt. For the rest, we will publish a set of "external
>    modules" that you can install in your Physical Etoys version.
>    3. Also, we now support an argentinian version of Arduino, which is
>    called DuinoBot and it's currently being used in a lot of argentinian
>    schools.
>    4. We added new devices for arduino and now we also support the use of
>    digital devices attached to analog pins.
>    5. We added two new objects that let you graph the input of a variable
>    across time and save it to a csv file.
>    6. We added a new programming mode that lets you compile your scripts
>    and have them running inside the robot, in contrast to running them in the
>    computer and communicate with the robot via bluetooth or usb. We believe
>    this opens a lot of new posibilities for the Physical Etoys users.
>    7. And finally, we fixed a lot of bugs that make the software a lot more
>    stable (or so we hope :).
>
> I would like to use this opportunity to publicly thank all the people from
> the Etoys community for their work on Etoys 5, this latest version is much
> better than the last and I encourage you all to try it.
> And also, I would like to announce that Physical Etoys 2.0 is going to be
> installed by default on all the laptops of the "Conectar igualdad" program,
> which is kind of like the argentinian version of OLPC (but for older
> students). So we are *really* excited about this!
>
> Now that you're all as excited as we are :) you can download and try
> Physical Etoys 2.0 from our blog:
> http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/projects/physical-etoys/.
>
> Cheers,
> Richo
>
>  
Interfacing with Arduino is very cool.  It is high on my list of things
to play with (as time permits)

Now in case you ever need anything more industrial/powerful (but more
costly) here are a couple of things I have been kept a wishful eye on
for a couple of years (but I have not yet had time to play with). I
share this on the random chance someone gets interested in it before I
get a chance to play - hopefully early next year.

http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7350
200MHz ARM9 CPU;  32MB SDRAM (64-128MB opt)
8MB RAM Framebuffer;  able to drive TFT-LCDs via custom FPGA
5K LUT FPGA  <----------------
Boots Linux 2.6 in about 1 second <----------------
1 10/100 ethernet port,  2 USB 2.0 (12Mbit/s max),  1 SD Card slot
$129

http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7550
250MHz ARM9 CPU;  64MB DDR-RAM;  256MB SLC XNAND Drive
Customizable 5K LUT OpenCore FPGA <----------------
1 10/100 Ethernet,  33 DIO, SPI and I2C interfaces,  8 TTL UART, 1 CAN bus
$89

http://www.embeddedarm.com/about/resource.php?item=628

http://www.embeddedarm.com/documentation/articles/reliability.pdf

http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/pc104-peripherals.php

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
|

Ricardo Moran
In reply to this post by Stéphane Ducasse

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 4:35 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
ricardo

Hi Stef,

I don't know what are your needs but I'll tell you what we have here. For the arduino versions we have an Arduino UNO, a couple of Arduino Duemilanove with ATmega328, and an Arduino MEGA 

Stef

>
>       • First of all, it's based on Etoys 5.0 so it incorporates all the bug-fixes and new features from the Etoys release.
>       • We are now focusing on the two main hardware platforms: Arduino and Lego Mindstorms Nxt. For the rest, we will publish a set of "external modules" that you can install in your Physical Etoys version.
>       • Also, we now support an argentinian version of Arduino, which is called DuinoBot and it's currently being used in a lot of argentinian schools.
>       • We added new devices for arduino and now we also support the use of digital devices attached to analog pins.
>       • We added two new objects that let you graph the input of a variable across time and save it to a csv file.
>       • We added a new programming mode that lets you compile your scripts and have them running inside the robot, in contrast to running them in the computer and communicate with the robot via bluetooth or usb. We believe this opens a lot of new posibilities for the Physical Etoys users.
>       • And finally, we fixed a lot of bugs that make the software a lot more stable (or so we hope :).
>
>
> Cheers,
> Richo

Reply | Threaded
|

Ricardo Moran
Sorry, this damn gmail hotkeys sent the mail before I finished writing it. Let me try again :P

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 4:35 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
ricardo

Hi Stef,

I don't know what are your needs but I'll tell you what we have here. For the arduino versions we have an Arduino UNO, a couple of Arduino Duemilanove with ATmega328, and an Arduino MEGA 2560. We use mostly the first two. Then we also have an Electronic Brick Starter Kit (http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/electronic-brick-starter-kit-p-506.html) that provides a couple of sensors and a really nice interface to plug/unplug components. And finally, we also have a couple of servos and some dc motors.

Keep in mind we only use that to test stuff, we almost never build something useful out of it but it should be enough to let you started. :)

Cheers,
Richo

Stef

>
>
>
> Cheers,
> Richo

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Physical Etoys 2.0 released!

Ricardo Moran
In reply to this post by Ben Coman

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
(...) 

Interfacing with Arduino is very cool.  It is high on my list of things to play with (as time permits)

Hi Ben, 

Now in case you ever need anything more industrial/powerful (but more costly) here are a couple of things I have been kept a wishful eye on for a couple of years (but I have not yet had time to play with). I share this on the random chance someone gets interested in it before I get a chance to play - hopefully early next year.

Well, I don't think it's really fair to compare these computers with arduino :) but if you happen to play with one of those let us know your results. What I would like is to get my hands on a Raspberry Pi now.

Cheers,
Richo

http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7350
200MHz ARM9 CPU;  32MB SDRAM (64-128MB opt)
8MB RAM Framebuffer;  able to drive TFT-LCDs via custom FPGA
5K LUT FPGA  <----------------
1 10/100 ethernet port,  2 USB 2.0 (12Mbit/s max),  1 SD Card slot
$129

http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7550
250MHz ARM9 CPU;  64MB DDR-RAM;  256MB SLC XNAND Drive
1 10/100 Ethernet,  33 DIO, SPI and I2C interfaces,  8 TTL UART, 1 CAN bus
$89

http://www.embeddedarm.com/about/resource.php?item=628

http://www.embeddedarm.com/documentation/articles/reliability.pdf

http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/pc104-peripherals.php

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Physical Etoys 2.0 released!

Ben Coman
Ricardo Moran wrote:
On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Ben Coman [hidden email] wrote:
(...)

Interfacing with Arduino is very cool.  It is high on my list of things to
play with (as time permits)

Hi Ben,

Now in case you ever need anything more industrial/powerful (but more

costly) here are a couple of things I have been kept a wishful eye on for a
couple of years (but I have not yet had time to play with). I share this on
the random chance someone gets interested in it before I get a chance to
play - hopefully early next year.

Well, I don't think it's really fair to compare these computers with
arduino :) but if you happen to play with one of those let us know your
results. What I would like is to get my hands on a Raspberry Pi now.

Cheers,
Richo

You are right - they have a different purpose - perhaps acting as a Smalltalk-based PLC [2] for implementing process control at industrial plants using IEC 61131-3 Function Blocks [1] - which would be AWESOME but at the moment just wishful thinking.

[1] http://www.dmcinfo.com/Blog/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/117/IEC-61131-3-Function-Blocks--Unleash-the-Power.aspx
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_logic_controller

http://www.embeddedarm.com/**products/board-detail.php?**product=TS-7350<http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7350>
200MHz ARM9 CPU;  32MB SDRAM (64-128MB opt)
8MB RAM Framebuffer;  able to drive TFT-LCDs via custom FPGA
5K LUT FPGA  <----------------
1 10/100 ethernet port,  2 USB 2.0 (12Mbit/s max),  1 SD Card slot
$129

http://www.embeddedarm.com/**products/board-detail.php?**product=TS-7550<http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7550>
250MHz ARM9 CPU;  64MB DDR-RAM;  256MB SLC XNAND Drive
1 10/100 Ethernet,  33 DIO, SPI and I2C interfaces,  8 TTL UART, 1 CAN bus
$89

http://www.embeddedarm.com/**about/resource.php?item=628<http://www.embeddedarm.com/about/resource.php?item=628>

http://www.embeddedarm.com/**documentation/articles/**reliability.pdf<http://www.embeddedarm.com/documentation/articles/reliability.pdf>

http://www.embeddedarm.com/**products/pc104-peripherals.php<http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/pc104-peripherals.php>

cheers -ben