[ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Thibault ARLOING

Hello,

I'm happy to announce the latest release of Pillar.

This release has been possible because of the hard work of Damien Cassou, Cyril Ferlicot, Yann Dubois, Thibault Arloing and Lukas Komarek.

What did it bring and what are the largest changes ?

  • Huge cleaning of code and Dependencies
  • Many bug fixes
  • Huge refactoring of internal parts
    • Extract phase management into an external project (LightPhaser)
    • Transformers and Phases are all Pipes
Remove Compilation cycle
  • Remove template handling from Pillar
  • Remove generation of pillarpostExport.sh
  • Pillar now exports files to JSON format
  • Command for pillar archetypes "./pillar archetype book", book can be replaced by other archetype names (see Pillar documentation)
  • Possibility to load an archetype with a Makefile to compile pillar files
Features
  • Check phase to check syntax
  • EPub exporter for e-books (use pillar archetypes for this)
  • Semantic links to Youtube and Wikipedia
  • Citations for LaTeX
  • Structures (see Pillar documentation)
  • Footnotes for HTML, Markdown, LaTeX and AsciiDoc
  • Improvement of parsing configuration failure message
Major changes
  • Metadata field in configuration to separate data from configuration properties
  • Support files in configuration does no longer exists
  • "disableTransformers" property is now named "disabledPhases"
  • AsciiDoc file extension is now ".asciidoc"
  • Pillar now manages one input file, not a collection of input files anymore
    • Parameter inputFiles is now replaced by inputFile

The documentation of Pillar will be update as soon as possible to fit those changes.

Cheers,

Thibault

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Hi,

On 22/07/16 08:41, Thibault ARLOING wrote:
Features
  • Check phase to check syntax
  • EPub exporter for e-books (use pillar archetypes for this)
  • Semantic links to Youtube and Wikipedia
  • Citations for LaTeX
  • Structures (see Pillar documentation)
  • Footnotes for HTML, Markdown, LaTeX and AsciiDoc
  • Improvement of parsing configuration failure message

Nice to see footnotes and citations. That were two missing features for me that were provided for pandoc. I need to see Zotero integration for bibliographic references (using [@keyword] aliases in pandoc's case), but these new features made the documentation system richer and show Pillar advancing in good directions.

Congrats and keep the good work,

Offray

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

stepharo

Thanks you guys.

I'm eager to follow your ESUG presentation :)

Stef

Le 22/7/16 à 15:41, Thibault ARLOING a écrit :

[...]

Gour
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:41:34 +0000 Thibault ARLOING
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The documentation of Pillar will be update as soon as possible to fit
> those changes.

Thank you working on this and bringing nice features like support for
footnotes.

Ability to convert Pillar documents into MArkdown (still using it with
flat-CMS for web) and/or support for markup like AsciiDoc is great.

However, after going into Pharo-terrain, I'm considering to use is as
single-markup for all the my writing purposes as well as for preparing
slide presentations.

By looking at docs, I see that hyperlinked references show "see chapter
??", so wonder what's wrong with hyperlinking support?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
He who is regulated in his habits of eating, sleeping, recreation
and work can mitigate all material pains by practicing the yoga system.

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

alistairgrant
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 01:41:34PM +0000, Thibault ARLOING wrote:
> I'm happy to announce the latest release of Pillar.
>
> This release has been possible because of the hard work of Damien Cassou, Cyril
> Ferlicot, Yann Dubois, Thibault Arloing and Lukas Komarek.

Thanks very much for making this available.

I know I'm going to feel stupid after asking this, but...

How do you load this in Pharo 5?

None of the following appear to include the GT Inspector integration
that Doru tweeted about today:

(ConfigurationOfPillar project version: #stable) load
(ConfigurationOfPillar project version: #development) load
(ConfigurationOfPillar project version: #bleedingEdge) load

Thanks!
Alistair

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Thibault ARLOING

In fact, the hyperlink for chapter does not work on Enterprise Pharo but just for chapters.

Because it is not links but anchor.

The reason is that when we want to reference a section, the section is in the same HTML so the anchor works but when we reference a chapter, it is not in the same HTML so the anchor is not found.

But when we compile Enterprise Pharo book, all chapters are gathered so anchors are found.

In any case, it will work if you do it in your own project.

Sincerely,
Thibault

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The documentation of Pillar will be update as soon as possible to fit
> those changes.

Thank you working on this and bringing nice features like support for
footnotes.

Ability to convert Pillar documents into MArkdown (still using it with
flat-CMS for web) and/or support for markup like AsciiDoc is great.

However, after going into Pharo-terrain, I'm considering to use is as
single-markup for all the my writing purposes as well as for preparing
slide presentations.

By looking at docs, I see that hyperlinked references show "see chapter
??", so wonder what's wrong with hyperlinking support?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
He who is regulated in his habits of eating, sleeping, recreation
and work can mitigate all material pains by practicing the yoga system.

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Tudor Girba-2

Where can I find the new template system for Pillar?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Ok, I found this document:
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html

And now I tried this:

        wget --no-check-certificate https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pillar-markup/pillar/master/download.sh
        chmod +x download.sh
        ./download.sh
        ./pillar archetype book

and I got the book template. But, I do not know how to compile the book. I tried

        make

or
        make book

but I get:

make
mkdir -p ./book-result
find . -type d -path ./book-result -prune -o -wholename "*/figures" -exec cp {} --parents -r ./book-result \;
cp: ./Chapters/Chapter1/figures is a directory (not copied).
cp: --parents: No such file or directory
cp: -r: No such file or directory
cp: ./figures is a directory (not copied).
cp: --parents: No such file or directory
cp: -r: No such file or directory
cp: ./support/figures is a directory (not copied).
cp: --parents: No such file or directory
cp: -r: No such file or directory
cp -r support/ ./book-result
cp .latexmkrc ./book-result
cp: .latexmkrc: No such file or directory
make: *** [copySupport] Error 1

I must be doing something wrong, but I do not know what. I am on a Mac 10.11 and I am using bash. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,
Doru

> On Sep 14, 2016, at 10:49 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Where can I find the new template system for Pillar?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> On Jul 22, 2016, at 3:41 PM, Thibault ARLOING <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm happy to announce the latest release of Pillar.
>> This release has been possible because of the hard work of Damien Cassou, Cyril Ferlicot, Yann Dubois, Thibault Arloing and Lukas Komarek.
>> What did it bring and what are the largest changes ?
>>
>> • Huge cleaning of code and Dependencies
>> • Many bug fixes
>> • Huge refactoring of internal parts
>> • Extract phase management into an external project (LightPhaser)
>> • Transformers and Phases are all Pipes
>> Remove Compilation cycle
>> • Remove template handling from Pillar
>> • Remove generation of pillarpostExport.sh
>> • Pillar now exports files to JSON format
>> • Command for pillar archetypes "./pillar archetype book", book can be replaced by other archetype names (see Pillar documentation)
>> • Possibility to load an archetype with a Makefile to compile pillar files
>> Features
>> • Check phase to check syntax
>> • EPub exporter for e-books (use pillar archetypes for this)
>> • Semantic links to Youtube and Wikipedia
>> • Citations for LaTeX
>> • Structures (see Pillar documentation)
>> • Footnotes for HTML, Markdown, LaTeX and AsciiDoc
>> • Improvement of parsing configuration failure message
>> Major changes
>> • Metadata field in configuration to separate data from configuration properties
>> • Support files in configuration does no longer exists
>> • "disableTransformers" property is now named "disabledPhases"
>> • AsciiDoc file extension is now ".asciidoc"
>> • Pillar now manages one input file, not a collection of input files anymore
>> • Parameter inputFiles is now replaced by inputFile
>> The documentation of Pillar will be update as soon as possible to fit those changes.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Thibault
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

jfabry
Hi Doru,

it looks like there’s a problem with copySupport.mk, I had the same problem with the Spec booklet. The file is using Linux only syntax for the cp command. This was fixed for the Spec booklet after I raised an issue there, but it seems the fix was not propagated everywhere it needs to be. Have a look at https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/BuildingUIWithSpec/blob/master/copySupport.mk and try to update your copySupport, it may fix your problem.

--
Does this mail seem too brief? Sorry for that, I don’t mean to be rude! Please see http://emailcharter.org .

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

> [...]
>>> • Metadata field in configuration to separate data from configuration properties
>>> • Support files in configuration does no longer exists
>>> • "disableTransformers" property is now named "disabledPhases"
>>> • AsciiDoc file extension is now ".asciidoc"
>>> • Pillar now manages one input file, not a collection of input files anymore
>>> • Parameter inputFiles is now replaced by inputFile
>>> The documentation of Pillar will be update as soon as possible to fit those changes.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Thibault
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Thanks! It seems to work now.

Cheers,
Doru

> [...]
>> cp: .latexmkrc: No such file or directory
>> make: *** [copySupport] Error 1
>>

>> I must be doing something wrong, but I do not know what. I am on a Mac 10.11 and I am using bash. Could someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>>> On Sep 14, 2016, at 10:49 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Where can I find the new template system for Pillar?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

stepharo
Hi

I followed the pillarChap and I could get it running :(

Installing and Exporting your First Document

You first need to get Pillar. For that, we recommend downloading and exe- cuting the script available at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pillar-markup/ pillar/master/download.sh in the base directory if you are on an Unix environ- ment.

       wget
           https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pillar-markup/pillar/master/download.sh
       chmod +x download.sh
       ./download.sh

Then, you can load an archetype (see Section 14.2) with command:

       ./pillar archetype welcome

You have the possibility to rename the directory in which your files will be exported. To do that you have to change the OUTPUTDIRECTORY variable in the Makefile:

       OUTPUTDIRECTORY = result

Then, you can check everything is working fine by creating a first.pillar file with this content:

!Hello World

And finally compiling it from a terminal (see Section 14.6 for more informa- tion about the command-line interface):

       make result/first.html

make result/welcome.html
make: *** No rule to make target `result/welcome.html'.  Stop.

there is a welcome.pillar so I should be able to get welcome.html

Now I do not get the expression make result/first.html

cp welcome.pillar first.pillar
  tryingFromDoc make result/first.html
make: *** No rule to make target `result/first.html'.  Stop.

I think that this doc is simply bogus. Each time I tried it
I have to fix it radically.

make welcome is working so may be this is what we should add to the doc.
I do not think that Pillar guys are reading this mailing-list so I will try to save what should be saved. :(

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Damien Pollet-2
I bet you left the makefile unchanged. Try `make book-result/welcome.html`

Here it tries to run ./pillar something something that looks correct (but fails because I didn't download the pillar image in that directory)

DISCLAIMER: I'm not fixing the other archetypes until I'm happy with the book one. So don't expect them to work this weekend.

On 17 September 2016 at 12:11, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Damien,

As I said, just let me know if I can be of help for developing or testing something. I happen to be focusing on using Pillar these days.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Damien Pollet-2
Most important would be to check that what I do is compatible with how you use Pillar. I'm leaving in the terminal all day, so the workflow that I'll be pushing will be biased in that direction. (Hello, my name's Damien and I'm a shell addict… Hello, Damien!)

It will be difficult to get a perfect makefile that can do minimal incremental recompilations unless Pillar can export a proper list of dependencies of a document (and even then…). I remember mentioning that to Thibault and Yann but it doesn't seem to be there. In the meantime my goal is to make it a bit more robust and to factor stuff as much as possible. I also intend to make it self-documented, using this pretty nice trick: http://marmelab.com/blog/2016/02/29/auto-documented-makefile.html

About the list of chapters in pillar.conf, for instance: if the document has parts, then chapters are not a flat list; it's one of those things where form is content is form…

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Stef,

Indeed, it took a bit of time to get things to work.

I think the welcome archetype is a bit misleading in that it does not serve a specific purpose. I would focus the instructions on the book archetype (welcome is not a book).

I see that there are some changes recently, so I would wait to try.

What I did previously was:
        wget --no-check-certificate https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pillar-markup/pillar/master/download.sh
        chmod +x download.sh
        ./download.sh
        ./pillar archetype book

Then I had to override copySupport.mk with the following file (because it does not work on Mac):
        wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/BuildingUIWithSpec/blob/master/copySupport.mk
        mv copySupport.mk support/makefiles/copySupport.mk

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Tudor Girba-2

> On Sep 17, 2016, at 1:05 PM, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Most important would be to check that what I do is compatible with how you use Pillar. I'm leaving in the terminal all day, so the workflow that I'll be pushing will be biased in that direction. (Hello, my name's Damien and I'm a shell addict… Hello, Damien!)

Ok.

I just tried the latest Makefile, but it does not work. Are you working on it?

> It will be difficult to get a perfect makefile that can do minimal incremental recompilations unless Pillar can export a proper list of dependencies of a document (and even then…). I remember mentioning that to Thibault and Yann but it doesn't seem to be there.

I need the same information for building tools.

> In the meantime my goal is to make it a bit more robust and to factor stuff as much as possible. I also intend to make it self-documented, using this pretty nice trick: http://marmelab.com/blog/2016/02/29/auto-documented-makefile.html

Interesting. However, given that we are anyway relying on Pharo, why are the scripts not in Pharo?

> About the list of chapters in pillar.conf, for instance: if the document has parts, then chapters are not a flat list; it's one of those things where form is content is form…

Yes, indeed. Looking deeper I realize that we could scavenge the information out of +include+ directives from pillar files. This should be enough to provide a tree index view of all files.

Cheers,
Doru

> [...]
> > make: *** No rule to make target `result/welcome.html'.  Stop.
> >

> > there is a welcome.pillar so I should be able to get welcome.html
> >
> > Now I do not get the expression make result/first.html
> >

> > cp welcome.pillar first.pillar
> >   tryingFromDoc make result/first.html
> > make: *** No rule to make target `result/first.html'.  Stop.
> >
> > I think that this doc is simply bogus. Each time I tried it
> > I have to fix it radically.
> >

> > make welcome is working so may be this is what we should add to the doc.
> > I do not think that Pillar guys are reading this mailing-list so I will try to save what should be saved. :(
> >
> > Stef
> >
> > Stef
> >

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

Damien Pollet-2
On 17 September 2016 at 13:26, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just tried the latest Makefile, but it does not work. Are you working on it?

Are you trying the book archetype ?
(I'm trying not to do work stuff during weekends)

Interesting. However, given that we are anyway relying on Pharo, why are the scripts not in Pharo?

Reimplementing make is just diluting manpower closer to homeopathic levels, and pillar is already a proven cause of burnout.

> About the list of chapters in pillar.conf, for instance: if the document has parts, then chapters are not a flat list; it's one of those things where form is content is form…

Yes, indeed. Looking deeper I realize that we could scavenge the information out of +include+ directives from pillar files. This should be enough to provide a tree index view of all files.

Check this issue; there are already a couple visitors that could be exporting this info, but they don't list everything, and don't output deps as makefile syntax

Re: [ANN] Pillar 4.0.0

stepharo

I bet you left the makefile unchanged. Try `make book-result/welcome.html`
Yes I read the makefile and saw it and I fixed the tutorial.
I updated the tutorial so that when one reads it we are not forced to edit the makefile.
I'm perfectly happy with the default ouput name.

Le 17/9/16 à 13:22, Tudor Girba a écrit :
> Hi Stef,
>
> Indeed, it took a bit of time to get things to work.
>
> I think the welcome archetype is a bit misleading in that it does not serve a specific purpose. I would focus the instructions on the book archetype (welcome is not a book).
yes I think so too.

I started to update the tutorial
     - with script to download pillar
     - avoid to modify the makefile to change the output.

Pay attention it seems that when you do

     ./pillar archetype welcome

     you cannot to

     ./pillar archetype book so I flushed everything and it "worked"
> I see that there are some changes recently, so I would wait to try.
>
> What I did previously was:
> wget --no-check-certificate https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pillar-markup/pillar/master/download.sh
> chmod +x download.sh
> ./download.sh
> ./pillar archetype book
With me this work.
                 make book

Now I was puzzled by the resulting pdf :)
The template should be probably modified because I could not get why
there is an empty chapter + a part + chapters after
> Then I had to override copySupport.mk with the following file (because it does not work on Mac):
> wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/BuildingUIWithSpec/blob/master/copySupport.mk
> mv copySupport.mk support/makefiles/copySupport.mk
Strange. I have the impression it worked at my place.

I would code all that in Pharo instead of arcane and undebuggable bash
unix mix of scripts.
Damien is telling to me that it would take longer to develop but I do
not believe that a recursive copy not copying figures would
be that complex :). And at least we can debug it.

I just did not get the time to do it.